Ford Mustang 60th Anniversary Package Draws on Classic Style of 1965 Original

24 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

This is the beauty of digital displays. So many people bash them, but they enable neat customization opportunities like this. 

Doing stuff like this with LCD displays is cool and I appreciate it.  The only thing I can say in regards to older style gauges is I do miss the creativity for example the gauge cluster in my Aviator has a really cool effect where when it's off you see nothing but when you turn it on the numbers are LED lit cool white and the needles look like red lasers giving it a really cool 3D effect.  I do miss the cool 3D effect some gauge clusters had.  Another fun one was the 90s and early 2000s Continental which also had laser light needles but the numbers would reflect off the glass over them.  Also always loved the full digital ones from the 80s and 90s.  I am a sucker for 80s tech aesthetics though.

4 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

They could have done this on purpose to generate hype to get people talking about it. It's working since we're both talking about it. lol It's said to be a 2025 model year so yeah the teaser would have been more of an actual design rather than a generic look. Is it me or does the roof seem taller and more curvier than the current S650?

Yeah the proportions are way off of an s650. If that image is representative of an actual design, the front end looks much lower, and sleeker, and the roof looks taller, and rounder. The wheelbase also looks shorter. I don't think whatever this is, it's s650 based if that's the actual design. 

Maybe it's some sort of dedicated EV coupe or something. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

4 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm really digging that new gt3 livery with all the nods to historical racing mustangs, that's awesome. They mentioned another addition to the mustang stable, and growing the mustang family with something new coming in 2025. This could be a new Shelby s650, or another high performance s650. But the way they were talking about it sounds a lot like they're hinting at some sort of new mustang model completely. 

The teaser didn't look like an actual car, rather, a placeholder for what's the come. 

IMG_20240417_155744.jpg

Perhaps the next GT500? A GT350-level vehicle would be too close to a Dark Horse, and the flat-plane crank "Voodoo" V8 is gone.

PS: Ford teased the GT3 the same way, and yes, the rear wing shape wasn't final, it just told us there would be a huge wing. 
2024-ford-mustang-gt3-teaser-image.jpg
ford-mustang-gt3.jpg

I guess we know the future Mustang in the teaser won't have a huge rear wing.

Edited by AM222

A bit off-topic, Ford Philippines launched the S650 Mustang during the Mustang's 60th Anniversary (April 17, 2024). The Philippine-spec Mustang GT Premium Performance Package displayed I think has "spoiler-delete" as standard. Is this an export market thing? Looks clean.
4-ce78_wm.png
-Philkotse

PS: The Philippine-spec GT Premium makes a full 486hp (493PS) unlike most other export versions that are down by almost 40 horsepower. 

Edited by AM222

14 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It looks nice, though the wheels remind me of Camaro.

But at the end of the day, as I said when they teased it, it's just a sticker package.....there was no need to tease it, IMO.

Although I think the wheels look good, I thought the same.  It’s hard to ignore the touch of Camaro that is in this latest generation.  The car still looks good though.   

16 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It looks nice, though the wheels remind me of Camaro.

But at the end of the day, as I said when they teased it, it's just a sticker package.....there was no need to tease it, IMO.

It looks like they based it on the 5-spoke Cragar wheels used by the Shelby GT350. The '65 Mustang fastback at the Mustang's 60th Anniversary event had them.

Shelby%20GT%20350%20wheels%201965.jpg

2025-ford-mustang-60th-anniversary-packa
Though I think the Ford has been giving the Mustang variations of these modern flat 5-spoke muscle-car wheels even before the Camaro returned.
2005 Mustang GT at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show
112_0401_detroit_ford_mus_z.jpg
-Motor Trend

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm really digging that new gt3 livery with all the nods to historical racing mustangs, that's awesome. They mentioned another addition to the mustang stable, and growing the mustang family with something new coming in 2025. This could be a new Shelby s650, or another high performance s650. But the way they were talking about it sounds a lot like they're hinting at some sort of new mustang model completely. 

The teaser didn't look like an actual car, rather, a placeholder for what's the come. 

IMG_20240417_155744.jpg

Probably just a GT500.  This is the closest picture/angle I found...

Ford Mustang (seventh generation) - Wikipedia

13 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

This is far better than the Fox body ones.

6 hours ago, AM222 said:

It looks like they based it on the 5-spoke Cragar wheels used by the Shelby GT350. The '65 Mustang fastback at the Mustang's 60th Anniversary event had them.

Shelby%20GT%20350%20wheels%201965.jpg

2025-ford-mustang-60th-anniversary-packa
Though I think the Ford has been giving the Mustang variations of these modern flat 5-spoke muscle-car wheels even before the Camaro returned.
2005 Mustang GT at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show
112_0401_detroit_ford_mus_z.jpg
-Motor Trend

I get it, just saying the first thing I thought of when I saw it was the Camaro wheels.

Posted (edited)

Ford CEO Jim Farley Teases a Mystery Mustang

Your guess about what it could be is as good as ours

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/04/19/ford-ceo-jim-farley-teases-a-mystery-mustang/

Autoblog.com_2024-04-19_Mustang Teaser.jpg

This year, the Ford Mustang reached a significant milestone. The iconic American muscle car turned 60 as it entered its seventh generation for the 2024 model year, and Ford is celebrating all things Mustang with a series of events and neat bonuses for owners. We may also see a new version of the car next year, as CEO Jim Farley recently teased “one more thing to share” with a post on X/Twitter.

Farley shared an image of a Mustang hiding under a green cover, but it’s impossible to make out any detail other than the car’s familiar shape. Speculation is running wild in the comments on the post, with some guessing that an electrified Mustang is coming and others hoping for a Boss 302 or similar upgrade.

Interestingly, the image Farley shared was originally named “RTR Fun 03b,” meaning Vaughn Gittin Jr.’s RTR Vehicles is involved. Its Mustang upgrade packages offer power, aerodynamic, and styling upgrades to the seventh-gen car, and the top Spec 2 option brings significant suspension changes to make the ’Stang a corner-carving monster. If the new mystery car brings anywhere near the improvements RTR’s packages deliver, it will be a serious performance machine.

One thing that is certain is that Ford has no shortage of historic names to choose from. The Mustang’s long run on the American auto market has yielded some of the most renowned vehicles the automaker has ever created, and that’s before we get into electrification, which would be an exciting development for the Mustang (ignoring the Mach-E, of course).

We will have to wait to figure out what Farley’s on about, but Mustang fans and owners have plenty to talk about in the meantime. Ford recently rolled out an update to the 2024 model, giving it a retro-inspired theme for the digital gauge cluster via an over-the-air update. The automaker is also opening a new Mustang Experience Center at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 2025, offering track time, a merchandise store, and an event center capable of hosting weddings and other gatherings.

Additionally, Ford recently opened the application process for its most hardcore Mustang ever, the GTD. In addition to its $325,000 starting price, the car’s supercharged 5.2-liter V8 makes more than 800 horsepower, and its active aerodynamic bodywork gives it a level of handling performance not seen in a street-legal Mustang before.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content