2008 Ford Escape Unveiled

Blue Oval Guide

It looks much better than the previous Escape, but the design is very old-fashioned and it may not be able to tap enough of the people who are still interested in clunky and bumpy SUV shapes of the 90s. The Edge will fill the desire for sleeker CUV design, but the Escape won't be able to compete well against the new wave of CUVs.

I fear that the Escape has completely missed the mark, this is NOT what people want anymore.

I loved my 2003 Escape. I was happy with the styling. Initially I was hoping for a 3-bar grille, updated headlamps, new taillamps and a new dash.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big square black radios. They'll never learn. At least it does sport the graphic screen to enhance it some. Other than that I like the interior. The green paint scheme is nasty as hell, the black looks pretty good. The body design is neither the typical nacrolpetic Ford design, nor is it cutting edge fresh. It's just so / so, acceptable I guess.

Just like Michael said above, a non-Nav equipped Escape won't have the square radios in them anymore. The radio is integrated in the centerstack. Do yourself a favor and google search the new Mariner interior image. Their's your new radio. Do some research before you blow off some steam. :blah:

Do you have any pricing info and when will it hit the dealer showrooms??

Ford had a satellite broadcast today. Pricing was to be revealed, but they aren't ready. The host did say the price has been lowered a deal. My guess, an XLT 4X4 V6 with all options, will be $24K, and a Loaded Limited, around $28K (including Nav). Just a guess though.

Just like Michael said above, a non-Nav equipped Escape won't have the square radios in them anymore. The radio is integrated in the centerstack. Do yourself a favor and google search the new Mariner interior image. Their's your new radio. Do some research before you blow off some steam.

No need to google search anything when it comes to Ford, I already know their game front and back. They release some pictures to the public that show their best, top of the line, all the bells and whistles version that you pay through the ass for. But the average version of any such vehicle on the lot will have the cheap ass, watered down, blue light special version that you will still pay through the ass for. lol

On its own, this design isn't bad, but when compared to its newer competition (CR-V, RAV4, Grand Vitara, Outlander, etc.) it looks incredibly dated.

Worse yet, as even long time Ford evangelists are pointing out, Escape gets carried over engine and transmission, while everyone else from CR-V to Vue to Outlander and so on, got new engines and a 5 or 6 speed auto.

Some are saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broken"

I say "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight".

I think we have to remember that Ford is trying harder to differentiate Mercury's styling from Ford's. The new Escape cleary has a more rugged, macho look for those who like that image. I could definetly see more men buying it. If you don't like it, you can go shop at the Mercury dealer; the new Mariner is a helluva stylish machine, yet not wimpy looking as its basic proportion still conveys a boxy, rugged image compared to that wimpy looking new Vue or the wagony looking new CR-V. I think Ford did a nice job differentiating the two from a styling perspective. My only real disappointment is the carryover 4-sp. tranny.

No need to google search anything when it comes to Ford, I already know their game front and back. They release some pictures to the public that show their best, top of the line, all the bells and whistles version that you pay through the ass for. But the average version of any such vehicle on the lot will have the cheap ass, watered down, blue light special version that you will still pay through the ass for. lol

once again just here to shit on stuff, just because...gets old yah know

Guess you never heard, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything?

Ford had a satellite broadcast today. Pricing was to be revealed, but they aren't ready. The host did say the price has been lowered a deal. My guess, an XLT 4X4 V6 with all options, will be $24K, and a Loaded Limited, around $28K (including Nav). Just a guess though.

Fits nicely under the Edge pricing.

once again just here to shit on stuff, just because...gets old yah know

Guess you never heard, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything?

Actually I gave the new Escape a pretty favorable review but sure as hell a couple of you cock smokers around here took issue with it because I didn't get down on my knees and kiss it's ass. So I shit on it on purpose just to piss you guys off. Obviously it worked. When you sensitive little bitches quit getting your feelings hurt at the least little thing you won't have any problem out of me. But until then, I'm the thorn in your side. lol

Now, your bitching that they release pictures of an Escape high end WITH a Nav system. That's amazing, since alot of people on here moan that Ford hasn't offered a Nav system in the Escape yet. Now they do, and its a BAD thing? You can't have it two ways. Most people begrudge Ford for not having a Nav system sooner. Now, that they have one (and a very good one at that), you begrudge them for offering it. If you don't want a Nav system, just don't get it. Be glad that its an option. You can't please everyone, especially you.

I agree - if Ford went to the trouble to alter the greenhouse, why not make it LOOK like they did? Perhaps give the Escape the Edge's sloped rear hatch? Or angle the windshield back more? Something.

Doubtful. Many makers are switching to electric steering because of the efficiency advantages. BMW, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Porsche, VW/Audi...and they seem to get decent reviews. I think GM's system just wasn't-ready-for-primetime when it launched. We'll see if GM revamps their system and reintroduces it in a couple of years.

While your idea about the 6-speed automatics may very well be correct - I have problems. First, Ford's got two 6-speeds to choose from: the J/V 6F or the Aisin 6-speed. You'd think at least one would fit. If they don't fit, why? Shouldn't that have been a goal for the 6F? The Escape is the best-selling compact SUV, you'd think would be interested in keeping it that way be investing the needed dollars to keep the vehicle up-to-date.

Why wasn't the better performing Fusion-spec D30 brought over? Even the 500's D30 version makes (slightly) more torque. And why isn't the 4 cyl available with the 5-speed automatic? The 2.3L MZR is so overmatched in the E/M/Ts they could at least make an effort to make it tolerable.

So, in the end I like what they've done to the Escape. But I wonder why, why, why did they hold back in the powertrain department? I would argue that waiting four months to launch the E/M/Ts to wait for D35 supply would be very, very wise. And/or the 6-speed auto. And/or a dramatically restyled vehicle with a different greenhouse/profile.

And not a single answer so far seems to make sense. I see that they chose NOT to, but not a decent reason for WHY NOT.

Scott

Maybe if Ford wasn't wasting money on trying to differentiate the Escape from the Mercury version, there would be more $$$$ to go around for engine/tranny upgrades. Ford needs to shut down the Mercury brand. They can incorporate some of the Mercury styling details with Ford models or just make the Merc styling another trim level on Fords. Merc takes up too many resources; money being the biggest one.

Actually I gave the new Escape a pretty favorable review but sure as hell a couple of you cock smokers around here took issue with it because I didn't get down on my knees and kiss it's ass. So I shit on it on purpose just to piss you guys off. Obviously it worked. When you sensitive little bitches quit getting your feelings hurt at the least little thing you won't have any problem out of me. But until then, I'm the thorn in your side. lol

Who the hell is being sensitive? Calling you out and being sensitve are two entirely little things. Anybody in their right mind that gets pissed off about crap said on the internet is a moron, the person that feels as if they have to power to upset someone by typing out 'sensitve little bitches' is delusional.

At least I got my excitement for the evening. :hysterical:

Anyhow back to the Escape. The whole point behind improving powertrains is to provide customers with more refinement, possibly better fuel economy, and of course better performance. Last I checked the Escape already preformed pretty well, but the D30 was looked at as an unrefined mill. If Ford was able to improve NVH and fuel economy, I don't see why such a big deal is made about carry over powertrains. Until someone has driven the revised Escape, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

BTW the CRV received essentially a carry over transmission and an addtional 10 hp. I do believe last month was a record sales month for the CRV, so lets not sit here and act as if horsepower is the only thing that sells in this segment.

Again changing for the sake of change is absurd. The Escape was well known to have an interior full of plastics that made even a Saturn Ion look luxurious, and a motor that was about as coarse a motor full of rocks. If those two items alone are addressed, the safety issues appear to be all covered, then I don't see a problem.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

If you weren't a pissed off little sensitive bitch you wouldn't feel the need to post this.

Who the hell is being sensitive? Calling you out and being sensitve are two entirely little things. Anybody in their right mind that gets pissed off about crap said on the internet is a moron, the person that feels as if they have to power to upset someone by typing out 'sensitve little bitches' is delusional.

But you did. It doesn't matter, neither do you.

I gave this new Escape a fair review. I personally despise SUV's and I still kinda like this one. But I understand how that's not good enough for the :cheerleader: crowd like you Michael.

On its own, this design isn't bad, but when compared to its newer competition (CR-V, RAV4, Grand Vitara, Outlander, etc.) it looks incredibly dated.

There are those (I ain't one of em, no flame please) that DON'T like the new look of SUV's with the "overgrown station wagon" look of the Edge, CR-V, and RAV-4. For those that want a more rugged, truck look, may I offer the Escape. Maybe Ford did know what they were doing.

Sales will tell. I will say again...I like it.

Edited by bec5150

If you weren't a pissed off little sensitive bitch you wouldn't feel the need to post this.

But you did. It doesn't matter, neither do you.

I gave this new Escape a fair review. I personally despise SUV's and I still kinda like this one. But I understand how that's not good enough for the :cheerleader: crowd like you Michael.

Come on now like I'm going to let crap like that slide. Just like how you hurried up and scraped together a half-assed reply.

You personally despise SUVs such as the Escape? Well why bitch about something that you have no interest of ever owning? Again you are here just to bitch, as if your seal of approval means much of shit.

Wow you gave the Escape a fair review :ohsnap: Lets thow a fuckin ticker tape parade. Post that statement again, its not like we didn't catch it the first time.

Come on now like I'm going to let crap like that slide. Just like how you hurried up and scraped together a half-assed reply.

You personally despise SUVs such as the Escape? Well why bitch about something that you have no interest of ever owning? Again you are here just to bitch, as if your seal of approval means much of shit.

Wow you gave the Escape a fair review ohsnap.gif Lets thow a fuckin ticker tape parade. Post that statement again, its not like we didn't catch it the first time.

:cry::rant::baby:

Quit crying little boy.

You must be joking. I don't like either of these. The Saturn looks like a Kia and the interior is no where near as nice as the Escape.

I think your bias is clouding your vision.

:hysterical:

Oh I'm biased? :hysterical:

No I think biased would be falling for a vehicle solely by the badge in the front. My issue is the escape is ancient...literally dates back too 1999 and now fo 2008 will stil have arry over sheetmetal.

The interior does look nice and I would give it the nod over the vue interior............but other than that ford obviously didn't even try to put a good effort into these, they took the cheap road. That is the truth, not bias. It doesn't compete against the new competition plain and simple, it is outclassed and what does it offer best in class anymore?

Edited by DCK

I was skeptical of the redesign seeing the spy pics, but after seeing the finished product, I am pleasantly surprised. The red looks especially sharp!

I think this update looks good and will it will sell just fine.

I really dont think most people care if it has a 4 or 6 speed trans as long as it gets decent fuel economy and has decent driving characteristics.

The interior is much better, but I am still sure about the new radio and HVAC controls yet. I will have to see them in person. Is this going to be the new design for all future Fords?

No I think biased would be falling for a vehicle solely by the badge in the front. My issue is the escape is ancient...literally dates back too 1999 and now fo 2008 will stil have arry over sheetmetal.

I don't think there is any carry oversheet metal from the outgoing verison.

Look at this:

08 Mariner

WKA2006100643373_pv.jpg

2006 Mariner

WKA2005020841382_pv.jpg

Quite a bit of difference...

Look, I can forgive a lot of what went into this update of the escape if they really are going to cut stickers in the same manner that they've done to other SUVs in their lineup. Limited investment for a value product.

If they were going to keep the same price points, I'd definitely be waiving the new Vue in front of them saying "See, its BASE v6 has more HP and torque, likely puts up better fuel economy numbers, and, amazingly enough, has the 6 speed automatic transmission that YOU HELPED THEM DEVELOP attached to the engine. Its got a more modern look to the exterior and an interior that's fitting for its segment." However, as Saturn is pushing upscale, I won't do that to the Escape. I'll do it to the Mariner instead as its supposed to compete more in that segment.

At least it doesn't look as poorly envisioned as the Tribute spy photos we saw earlier.

However, compare the more direct competition to the escape. the Hyundai tuscon, the Kia Sportage, the Chevy Equinox, the Dodge Nitro (sort of, its rwd), and the C-RV. It still offers more HP and torque than any of them (save the Nitro). It offers better driving dynamics than most of them (save, perhaps the Cr-v). It gets ballpark fuel economy (save for its hybrid and the Nitro's rather poor numbers). And, its got similar fit and finish.

Comparing the Escape to the Rav-4 is pointless as the Rav-4 has grown to compete more with the Highlander (what's the point in that thing now?), the Pilot, the XL-7, and any other three row crossovers you can think of. As the pricing of the RAV-4 went up with the redo, and the escape pricing will go down, they are now in different price brackets.