WSJ: New GM Truck Sales Disappoint

range

Wall Street Journal Link

It looks like GM is back to overproducing vehicles and then being forced to offer big discounts to move them.

Based on the big backlog of unsold trucks, I think GM badly misjudged the popularity of their new trucks.

"The supply of the Silverado and Sierra sits at 101 days and 129 days, respectively, far more than top competitors in the large-pickup class, according to Autodata. Ford Motor Co. has a 75-day supply of F-Series trucks, while DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group carries a 73-day supply of the Dodge Ram."

Edited by range

Wall Street Journal Link

It looks like GM is back to overproducing vehicles and then being forced to offer big discounts to move them.

Based on the big backlog of unsold trucks, I think GM badly misjudged the popularity of their new trucks.

"The supply of the Silverado and Sierra sits at 101 days and 129 days, respectively, far more than top competitors in the large-pickup class, according to Autodata. Ford Motor Co. has a 75-day supply of F-Series trucks, while DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group carries a 73-day supply of the Dodge Ram."

Surplus of unwanted Silverado and Sierra classics maybe? Sad to say I've seen more new Tundras than these twins here in Houston.

Surplus of unwanted Silverado and Sierra classics maybe? Sad to say I've seen more new Tundras than these twins here in Houston.

I see more new Dodge and Ford trucks on this side of Houston. Sure as hell NO new Tundras, assload of Tacomas though. Could be the fact that the new GM trucks are decontented Dodge and Ford ripoffs?

I see more new Dodge and Ford trucks on this side of Houston. Sure as hell NO new Tundras, assload of Tacomas though. Could be the fact that the new GM trucks are decontented Dodge and Ford ripoffs?

It must be concerning to GM that a couple of their staple trucks are in slow down.

The Tundras are still pretty small in numbers annually (14,400), so until they build sales volume there won't be much uniformity to distribution.

Maybe they could bring out a Lexus version for the Wall Street croud, :hysterical:

Edited by jpd80

To this I'll add the fact that I live in Sugar Land. Lots of orientals here...

I've seen one new Tundra out on the road

but then again I have yet to see a new 08 Super Duty either...

At least it looks like Ford is being smart but cutting back on the plants building the F-150 to keep with demand. Gas prices are going to be a bitch with no relief in sight any time soon!

I've seen one new Tundra out on the road

but then again I have yet to see a new 08 Super Duty either...

At least it looks like Ford is being smart but cutting back on the plants building the F-150 to keep with demand. Gas prices are going to be a bitch with no relief in sight any time soon!

Then all of the new Tundras must be selling in my area. I see at least 4 or 5 different ones a day, I've been shocked by the number of new Tundras I've seen on the road. Almost as many new Tundras as GMT-900s. Of course, I see alot of '08 SDs also. Not so many new HD GMs though.

Edited by White99GT

The Numbers in Spring TX and The Woodlands.

In the last 90 days I have seen about 50 new (different) Super Dutys, most are KingRanch Loaded of course.

In the last 60 days I have seen about 150-200 New GM half tons

In the last 30 days I have seen about 200 or a little more Tundras

In the last 30 days I have seen "one" new Duramax.

My understanding, is there is about a 30-45 day backlog of CrewMax orders, which Toyota is reported to now be shifting to 90% of their production to try to meet the demand.

How do you know you arent seeing the same 20 Tundras, 10 times each?

Different colors, different body styles, different drivers. So far it is mainly just Reg Cab and Double cab..........the CrewMax is just now hitting the streets in large numbers. I am fixin to make a short trip from Spring to The Woodlands and back - about 10 miles round trip. Typically, on that short trip I will see about 5-8 Tundras and 1 new Super Duty (sometimes -0- Super Duty).

Since Duramax is now available, I expect to see those numbers to increase a lot.

Then all of the new Tundras must be selling in my area. I see at least 4 or 5 different ones a day, I've been shocked by the number of new Tundras I've seen on the road. Almost as many new Tundras as GMT-900s. Of course, I see alot of '08 SDs also. Not so many new HD GMs though.

Ive seen a total of two tundras in central cali, one black one and one silver one.

And the local toy dealer has something like 4K off the top of them

Edited by one2gamble

Its just hard to understand how there could be more Tundras than GM's in half the time frame.

Look at the numbers, Chevy has outsold the Tundra almost 5 to 1. Add in the GMC twin, and you get like 6 to 1. and yet, there are 2 X as many Toyotas as GM's in your area?

Ford F-Series

228,343 YTD

Chevrolet Silverado

202,151 YTD

Dodge Ram

GMC Sierra

64,639 YTD

Toyota Tundra

43,386 YTD

Its just hard to understand how there could be more Tundras than GM's in half the time frame.

Look at the numbers, Chevy has outsold the Tundra almost 5 to 1. Add in the GMC twin, and you get like 6 to 1. and yet, there are 2 X as many Toyotas as GM's in your area?

Ford F-Series

228,343 YTD

Chevrolet Silverado

202,151 YTD

Dodge Ram

GMC Sierra

64,639 YTD

Toyota Tundra

43,386 YTD

Maybe it's because the Toyota Tundra sticks out like a sore thumb. :censored:

Just finished todays little 10 mile run.

3 new Super Dutys

3 new Tundra

6 new GM all CrewCab half ton

There are several markets within Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, that do not reflect the current YTD national figures. But about 75% of the driving population is in Trucks.......either work or heavy sport/RV

i have to say that i do see more new tundras than the new twins, maybe it is because, even how ugly the tundra is, the silverado is even more ugly with its bulging fenders, now the sierra, that is a nice looking truck, but some chevy faithful are funny cause for some reason they say GMC is POS, are they just stupid, correct me if im wrong, but isn't the chevy silverado and the GMC sierra virtually the same other than body panels

Ford F-Series

228,343 YTD

Chevrolet Silverado

202,151 YTD

Dodge Ram

GMC Sierra

64,639 YTD

Toyota Tundra

43,386 YTD

Those sales numbers speak for themselves. GM has been pretty stingy with rebate money so far- up until very recently only $1000 on new style Silverados. Fuel prices are concerning me- talking to local dealers, $3.40/gal is starting to hurt sales. Local 'Yota dealer down the street has over 75 new Tundra's in stock, with bigger incentives than Chevy (now there's a switch). FWIW, Oregon has the second highest truck per capita population behind Texas.

What?? Why?

Damned good question as to why- but the stat doesn't surprise me at all. Once you leave the Metro Portland area, the roadways are wall-to-wall pickups. most of them full-sized, most of them Ford (yes, the Northwest is traditonally Ford-dominated in this segment). Of course, once you leave the Portland area, the state is predominantly agricultural, with a fair share of cattle and sheep thrown in for good measure. That's the practical answer. The other answer is "lifestyle statement." The truth falls somewhere in between.