Volvo S60 concept

rmc523

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/16/detroit...vo-s60-concept/

This paragraph was interesting:

Power comes from a GTDi (gasoline turbocharged direct-injection) four-cylinder making around 179 horsepower mated to a Powershift dual-clutch gearbox. An additional suite of efficiency features, including start/stop functionality, a "DRIVe" economy mode, and various aerodynamic enhancements, helps deliver fuel economy in the neighborhood of 47mpg while keeping CO2 emissions under 120 g/km. Hopefully, all that goodness makes its way into the production car as well. Volvo says that its first car featuring GTDi "will appear in 2009." In any case, we should learn more next month when the Detroit show (or what's left of it, anyway) gets rolling.

I wonder if this is related to (or even is) the 4-cyl EcoBoost that Ford "announced" today? If so....47 mpgs!! Wow...

Design wise, I think it looks great.....I just hope it doesn't get as watered down as the XC60 did from concept to production.

Oh, and I wish AB would use a bigger font....I have 20/15 vision and have a hard time reading their stuff after the website redesign.

Edited by rmc523

I wonder if this is related to (or even is) the 4-cyl EcoBoost that Ford "announced" today? If so....47 mpgs!! Wow...

Design wise, I think it looks great.....I just hope it doesn't get as watered down as the XC60 did from concept to production.

Oh, and I wish AB would use a bigger font....I have 20/15 vision and have a hard time reading their stuff after the website redesign.

Damn, that ****ing nice.

About Ecoboost, I'm not sure.

Power comes from a GTDi (gasoline turbocharged direct-injection) four-cylinder making around 179 horsepower mated to a Powershift dual-clutch gearbox. An additional suite of efficiency features, including start/stop functionality, a "DRIVe" economy mode, and various aerodynamic enhancements, helps deliver fuel economy in the neighborhood of 47mpg while keeping CO2 emissions under 120 g/km. Hopefully, all that goodness makes its way into the production car as well. Volvo says that its first car featuring GTDi "will appear in 2009." In any case, we should learn more next month when the Detroit show (or what's left of it, anyway) gets rolling.

Is the GTDi related to Ecoboost?

With the fuel efficiency, it must be an EcoBoost. No sense in Volvo developing something that does not work when Ford has something that does work. Now it is a concept. I wonder it they are just throwing out some MPG numbers. Or are they based on some real projections.

It also has "DRIVe". Little is known about it. It could use an engine as small as 1.6L or smaller. Has Start/Stop. Maybe some type of mild hybrid?

If Volvo uses EcoBoost technology, there is no marketing reason for them to use the EcoBoost name. It would make sense for Volvo to combine EcoBoost the other fuel saving Technology, come up with some other name for it and charge more than what Ford charges for it.

With the fuel efficiency, it must be an EcoBoost. No sense in Volvo developing something that does not work when Ford has something that does work. Now it is a concept. I wonder it they are just throwing out some MPG numbers. Or are they based on some real projections.

It also has "DRIVe". Little is known about it. It could use an engine as small as 1.6L or smaller. Has Start/Stop. Maybe some type of mild hybrid?

If Volvo uses EcoBoost technology, there is no marketing reason for them to use the EcoBoost name. It would make sense for Volvo to combine EcoBoost the other fuel saving Technology, come up with some other name for it and charge more than what Ford charges for it.

It also contains these (including an explanation on what "DRIVe" is)

Stratified combustion. The combustion chamber is designed such that a mist consisting of the optimal blend of air and fuel is formed around the spark plug, surrounded in turn by pure air. This allows the engine to operate with a surplus of air, thus cutting fuel consumption.

Start/stop, a function that switches off the engine when the car is at a standstill.

Powershift. Two manual gearboxes work in parallel, each regulated by its own clutch. Since there is no interruption in torque delivery, gearchanges are instantaneous and the efficiency rating is higher.

EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering). In principle an "electric servo" where the conventional hydraulic pump has been replaced by an electric motor linked directly to the steering system's gear rack.

"DRIVe-Mode". Gives the driver the possibility of reducing fuel consumption via an "economy mode" that limits the function of a number of selected electrical or mechanical systems. This may for instance include the air conditioning, cruise control or automatic transmission gearchanging settings.

Volvo will also introduce its version of parent-company Ford's Eco-Boost technology under the GTDi (Gas Turbo Direct-injection) banner, a move that will permit trimming engine displacement and cylinder count on its larger models while upping their fuel economy by 20-30 percent

http://community.kbb.com/blogs/greenarticl...re-in-2012.aspx

And according to MKII, this engine is Volvo's version of EcoBoost, which will use the GTDi name.

Is this vehicle going to be based on the existing S60 platform or is this new?

I think a 4-door coup from Ford would go over very well. The segment is growing. It offer the kind of visual appear that the general public feels is lacking in American designs. it would really work to jump start Lincolns image as well.

Is this vehicle going to be based on the existing S60 platform or is this new?

I think a 4-door coup from Ford would go over very well. The segment is growing. It offer the kind of visual appear that the general public feels is lacking in American designs. it would really work to jump start Lincolns image as well.

I'm not sure about the platform. My guess would be new, maybe somebody else knows.

And I think a 4-door coupe would be more a Lincoln-appropriate vehicle, although having a more affordable (Ford) 4-door coupe on the market (sorta like the VW CC) could go well - as they would buy it to get the look, at a lower price. And with how nice Ford vehicles are becoming these days, it could work for higher end models too.