Ford Expected to report Record Loss Tomorrow

Yeah, gee, heavy losses in a quiet year with buyouts? GASP-what foresight!

Do I get a medal for calling this as a tough year back in '04? Or for foretelling the pain that would accompany the buyouts/closures?

I know, I know...but please, just "Oracle". Leave "Delphi" out of it, thanks.

7months ago you were telling me I was all wrong.(and more recently than that). Now, anybody could see it coming.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ummm yeah, because I sat here going back and forth stating that Ford was going to be profitable last year, this year or even next year. That is a bunch of BS and you very well know that.

What I did say was that Chrysler was in for a rough road ahead. You know after you mentioned how all that overtime was going to continue to bolster the company's bottom line? Or how great Chrysler's year was in 2005 even though it was becoming more and more evident that 2006 was going to be not so stellar? Probably don't remember that do you because you are so busy trying to twist what everyone mentions around here to suit you and you only (sans reality of course).

Not quite sure why it matters whether Ford posts a lost to you or not. Like the company or not, but there are a lot of people that are effected by bad news such as this (granted I'm NOT one of them). I could give a damn about Chrysler, but I'd hate for them continue their downward plunge. Everyone in SE Michigan has had a rough go for the past 2 years, and more news like this (plus Pfizer) isn't good for that regions economy.

I mean hey I wasn't throwing statements around such as this one:

And Chrysler is making a profit even with the incentives. Proves my point. Thru more efficient utilization of their plants Chrysler can build cars for less cost than Ford.
Edited by Michael Reynolds

Is it really going to be a "Record" surely, inflation-adjusted, Ford HAS lost more than is about to be announced. Anyone care to shag that number down?

Yeah, I've always hated non-adjust numbers.

Completely off topic, but this relates: Movie ticket sales. They insist on basing them on money instead of number of tickets sold. This totally ruins any impact that older movies had when it comes to relating them to the current crop of films. Pieces of crap like "Nacho Libre" have made more money than "Casablanca" or "The Thin Man", but I'm willing to bet more people have seen both of the latter.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Okay, enough ranting.

Is it really going to be a "Record" surely, inflation-adjusted, Ford HAS lost more than is about to be announced. Anyone care to shag that number down?

Ford lost $6.7B on an accounting adjustment (GM and Chrysler were similarly impacted) in 1992, but that's (if I'm doing my math correctly) only $9.59B in 2006 dollars (Average annual inflation of 2.6%, means today's dollar is worth 1.026 ^ 14 1992 dollars).

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2006/10/24/biz/news02.txt

Completely off topic, but this relates: Movie ticket sales. They insist on basing them on money instead of number of tickets sold. This totally ruins any impact that older movies had when it comes to relating them to the current crop of films. Pieces of crap like "Nacho Libre" have made more money than "Casablanca" or "The Thin Man", but I'm willing to bet more people have seen both of the latter.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Okay, enough ranting.

I agree with you on the ticket sales.....completely irrelevant...hell the cost of a ticket is almost $10 compared to $2 15 years ago....same with record sales....platinum...hell we have 100million more people in this country then 30 years ago!

I agree with you on the ticket sales.....completely irrelevant...hell the cost of a ticket is almost $10 compared to $2 15 years ago....same with record sales....platinum...hell we have 100million more people in this country then 30 years ago!

Funny thing about record sales is that they still suck, even with more people in the market. The record industry (and movie industry) are both in the tank due to lack of competition. There are really only 2-3 large record companies anymore and only a handful of large movie studios. Competition is a GOOD thing.

To relate this back to cars, while the "Big 3" are certainly hurting due to their inability to adapt to a changing market, we can't dismiss the fact that all of the increased competition from MULTIPLE players in the industry has made EVERYBODY'S product better.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Okay, enough ranting.

I agree with you. But you have to remember back then if you wanted to see a film you had to go to the theater. Now there are hundreds of tv channels, dvds, downloads etc . Not to mention all of the other modern distractions that were not available when "Casablanca" was made. So there are a lot more was to spend your entertainment dollars now.

Edited by Gnostic

It had nothing to do with a 'crystal ball'.

My predictions were based on my knowledge and experience in the auto industry.

Now that is a load of bullshit!!!

Hell I think we all saw this coming......like Mulally said yesterday "we have hit rock bottom"

Get it over with and move on....they have work to do.

I think they are going to make a hell of a comeback in the next couple of years....just going to take some time.