AN: Ford looks to Europe for new U.S. Products

CEO Mulally eyes Mondeo, S-Max, Transit

Amy Wilson | | Automotive News / January 29, 2007 - 1:00 am

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. may sell European products such as the Mondeo, S-Max and Transit in the United States.

"The probability is very high" that Ford will tap its global product bank for U.S. consumers in the near term, CEO Alan Mulally told Automotive News late last week.

Article continues at automotivenews.com, sub required

Worth noting are the German prices:

S-MAX

Type of vehicle: Crossover

Price range: $32,749-$41,828

Assembly plant: Genk, Belgium

MONDEO

Type of vehicle: Mid-sized car (sedan, station wagon, hatchback)

Price range: $27,821-$48,638

Assembly plant: Genk, Belgium

TRANSIT CONNECT

Type of vehicle: Commercial van

Price range: $19,215-$27,483

Assembly plant: Kocaeli, Turkey

People aren't likely to pay these prices for these vehicles in the U.S. I'm still wondering how GM will handle the same problem with the Astra.

I know this topic has already been posted about, but Mulally pretty much saying they're coming in an interview with Automotive News makes it, well, news.

People aren't likely to pay these prices for these vehicles in the U.S. I'm still wondering how GM will handle the same problem with the Astra.

I know this topic has already been posted about, but Mulally pretty much saying they're coming in an interview with Automotive News makes it, well, news.

The same way Ford manages to make the $20,000+ Focus from the UK sell for $14K in Mexico. They'll probably suck up losses on importing them here for a couple of years before there is a NA plant ready to assemble them to lower the total costs of assembly/shipping. Right now, importing cars here from Europe is a complete wash due to the crappy currency exchange rates. Those prices become much more attractive when you remove that part from the equation.

Build em here in their empty plants, problem solved...

But, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but.

Build em here in their empty plants, problem solved...

The wiser thing to do would be to kill some of the crappy NA product and build the Euro stuff here instead. Or assemble them in a plant that has capacity. Chicago for example. It's a flex plant, so why don't they actually FLEX IT?!?!? Ford NEEDS to get rid of production capacity, period. Converting an EMPTY factory back to a running factory is the exact opposite direction they need to be going.

The wiser thing to do would be to kill some of the crappy NA product and build the Euro stuff here instead. Or assemble them in a plant that has capacity. Chicago for example. It's a flex plant, so why don't they actually FLEX IT?!?!? Ford NEEDS to get rid of production capacity, period. Converting an EMPTY factory back to a running factory is the exact opposite direction they need to be going.

I'd think a running factory is better than an empty one? :headscratch:

They should be gearing up to replace the Freestyle with the Territory, to build a LHD Falcon (call it Interceptor if you like), making the necessary changes at Wayne to move to C2 (and keep the North American Ford Monkeys hands off it, with electric fencing if need be), finding a place to build the Mondeo (although I liked the last gens sharp styling much better than the bulbous look it has now), and use the plants that used to build the Freestar to build the C-Max and S-Max, and of course the new Fiesta.

That would be a good start and give them 5 all new cars and 2 completely re-done cars that are light years ahead of the shit Ford passes off here in their home country... :rant:

Edited by Blueblood

A closed and sold factory beats both in Ford NA's case. It has to be empty before they can get rid of it. You would agree that they have too much capacity right? Of course, with their apparent lack of ability to flex-assemble anything, they'd pretty much need a plant dedicated to these euro products. Sad really.

They can leave the ugly in Europe. The S-Max is maximum ugly and the van may be commercial, but it's very hard on my eyes.

See, if Ford followed the mantra of not offending anyone with a design, they end up with a dull product like the Five Hundred, which ends up being so bland that it offends almost everyone. They need to take styling risks, even if it doesn't win everybody over.

I find the S-Max to be quite attractive. Not my cup of tea for a product I'd want to buy, but it's not offensive to look at.

They should be gearing up to replace the Freestyle with the Territory, to build a LHD Falcon (call it Interceptor if you like), making the necessary changes at Wayne to move to C2 (and keep the North American Ford Monkeys hands off it, with electric fencing if need be), finding a place to build the Mondeo (although I liked the last gens sharp styling much better than the bulbous look it has now), and use the plants that used to build the Freestar to build the C-Max and S-Max, and of course the new Fiesta.

That would be a good start and give them 5 all new cars and 2 completely re-done cars that are light years ahead of the shit Ford passes off here in their home country... :rant:

wow BlueBlood . you messed up quote bad with the plant assignment ..

to Build all Ford OE Cas ,Ford needs 3 plants: Fiesta and Transit-Connect need one, Focus and C-Max needs second, and Mondeo and S-max need the third one .. If the Transit is to be built here, then they need a Fourth plant.

the cars were designed to be built that way .. and that is how they WILL be combined when they come over here.

Wayne will not get C2 in 2010 (or so I was told) because of the line not being arranged ideally - however we are getting the C2 platform. The C1 will not come .. Ford apparently had the choice around 2005 when they green lighted the 2008 Focus, and as Autoweek reported, the 08 Focus ran over budget, and OVER the projected costs of bringing over C1 Focus ... Ford will not spend the money again ... they do not have it ...

Mondeo has the simple problem of clashing with the Fusion. I think it would work well as an upscale 5door and Wagon Mid size in Mercury's showroom, but god knows what the people in the Glass house see it. The S-max is another interesting problem.. it is ab big as the Edge, but NARROWER .. and the engine is perfectly comparable to Edge ... I think once again it would make a great Mercury,since that showroom has no midisize crossover/van.

The Transit is a no-brainer - if there is no techincal reason for it no being able to be sold in US, the should bring it ... and I believe that given the Transit-Connect decision that they will bring it if they can.

The other cars .. Focus, C-Max, Fiesta, B-max, etc we will get when their new gens debut, since they are only 2 years away ..

Igor

See, if Ford followed the mantra of not offending anyone with a design, they end up with a dull product like the Five Hundred, which ends up being so bland that it offends almost everyone. They need to take styling risks, even if it doesn't win everybody over.

I find the S-Max to be quite attractive. Not my cup of tea for a product I'd want to buy, but it's not offensive to look at.

It seems the Focus designers didn't get the memo:

medium_348941425_f879b15bb5_o.jpg

That just looks homely. :hysterical:

Edited by eddiehaskell

Think of it this way...Ford is being critisized for not having products, this is the easiest way of getting new products. Granted, they might not make much of a profit on it at first, but wouldn't it be funny if both Fusion and Mondeo were selling next to each other, and the Mondeo would be selling all out, in back order, and people paying a premium over it? That would be quite funny...slap in the face for Ford for not having done that plan years ago.

No buts, just genuine problems. Building one more Camcord competitor in a sea of successful and well executed models built by established makes with high owner loyalty sounds like a recipe for disaster because it is. Ford will be fighting for a piece of a pie divided too many times already. Logic would dictate playing to your strengths and doing something completely different for the Ford brand in an effort to set it above the crowd. Alas, while bad management may have started the downward spiral, a lack of imagination appears the likely candidate to finish it off if importing models from FOE is seen as the ultimate fix.

Edited by jlsaylor

No buts, just genuine problems. Building one more Camcord competitor in a sea of successful and well executed models built by established makes with high owner loyalty sounds like a recipe for disaster because it is. Ford will be fighting for a piece of a pie divided too many times already. Logic would dictate playing to your strengths and doing something completely different for the Ford brand in an effort to set it above the crowd. Alas, while bad management may have started the downward spiral, a lack of imagination appears the likely candidate to finish it off if importing models from FOE is seen as the ultimate fix.

While I would agree that Ford needs to uncover more market niches in which to compete, it would be just as disastrous to ignore established segments. Ford NEEDS a Camcord competitor. Ford NEEDS a Civirolla competitor. Ford NEEDS a Pilander competitor. A company Ford's size cannot survive on niches alone.

While I would agree that Ford needs to uncover more market niches in which to compete, it would be just as disastrous to ignore established segments. Ford NEEDS a Camcord competitor. Ford NEEDS a Civirolla competitor. Ford NEEDS a Pilander competitor. A company Ford's size cannot survive on niches alone.

I agree, I just don't agree that the only, or even the best, way to do this is to build cars which are, at their core, the exact same thing everybody else is building with a twist..

I would rather catch the bus than be given free Ford Focus. Which l would sell on and spend it on a dececent holiday. l find it very offensive it is very bland and very dull. No wonder the name Ford is fast becoming a four letter swear word in Europe when they produce rubbish like this, l find it all very sad indeed.

"No wonder the name Ford is fast becoming a four letter swear word in Europe when they produce rubbish like this"

What planet are you on?

Ford Europe is doing very well indeed, from a decline throughout the 90's, when a lack of high-tech powertrains drove consumers away.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems like changing all the platforms again is to save Ford money. That said, are Ford blindly following the course with less regard for consumer needs? - Yes, this is all driven by the Finance Chief saying there are too many platforms.

FNA will meerly fall in line like most other regions, having a mix of imported basics (Festiva, Focus, Mondeo, S-Max, Transit) but the rest will still be NA derived. As for styling, most would agree that the Toyotas are rather bland so as to not offend the mainstream. That in mind, I think the Euros will do OK, those who like them will buy others are free to choose more Ameerican styled vehicles.

I think style should be kept to the local NA products to offer counterpoint to the basic Euro based stock. That way Ford appeals to a much broader audience. I just hope they follow a logical and sensible roll out plan that doesn't confuse the market.

Edited by jpd80

Key words I bolded.. I'm making bold moves.. :yup:

I'd say bringing the Mondeo here, unchanged, in full Euro goodness, with a D35 pumping out about 285 would be pretty frikking "different" asnd "bold".. And would really "set it above the crowd.."

Who the hell would want a dishwasher.. I mean Camry or Accord over the Mondeo?

Key words I bolded.. I'm making bold moves.. :yup:

I'd say bringing the Mondeo here, unchanged, in full Euro goodness, with a D35 pumping out about 285 would be pretty frikking "different" asnd "bold".. And would really "set it above the crowd.."

Who the hell would want a dishwasher.. I mean Camry or Accord over the Mondeo?

I see your point, but I can't agree relative to what you think the car will accomplish. The Mondeo offers more style than do the Accord or Camry, and almost certainly a bit more sport as well, but frankly whatever you may think of the Fusion it does to. And I seriously doubt the Mondeo is significantly more sporting than the new Altima, which for me begs the question what else but styling does the Mondeo have to offer that will be so sweeping within the segment?

A better engine? It requires an engine swap to achieve this just like the Fusion does. The difference? We know a 3.5L V-6 will fit in the Fusion. Nothing but inline's have ever been stuffed into EUCD thus far. And even with the engine swap we are still talking about parity rather than supremacy here.

A better interior? Yes, when compared to the Fusion and likely the Camry. A better interior than the upcoming Accord? That remains to be seen but I'd bet most here, including you, expect this to be pretty close. The problem here is that this interior comes at a cost. The Mondeo isn't cheap, and my guess is that by the time you stuff the D35 into it, it will cost more than the Camry or Accord. If not it won't likely have a price advantage, at least not if Ford actually wants to make money on it.

Don't misunderstand I like the Mondeo, and I think it is very well sorted. My problem is that it really isn't that different than what the Japanese offer here already, especially not when compared to the Accord or Altima. Yeah, it's a bit swoopier, and a bit more sporting than the Accord, but when all is said and done that amounts to nothing more than a facelift and a sport package relative to the Accord and mere styling compared to the Altima. A fwd, V-6 powered, mid size sedan represents a template which can only take you so far. And by this point the concept is so thoroughly developed that it can no longer set you significantly apart.

Against established competiton I think the Mondeo is simply going to be seen as a car which serves to level the playing field, and which is basically the same thing Honda offers with Euro-styling and a sportier bend. It wont be seen as being that different from it's Japanese competition because, to be blunt, it isn't. That would be fine were Honda, Toyota, and Nissan not so entrenched, and their products so well executed, but they are. The Mondeo offers nothing Honda or Nissan couldn't largely counter with a mid-cycle refresh, assuming the next Accord doesn't possess much sportier styling in its own right which is the rumour, and to me that speaks volumes.

Again, I like the Mondeo, and would like to see it come here....just not as a Ford. IMO meeting the status quo, or even slightly besting it, just isn't going to be enough for Ford to get back where they need to be at this stage. Not in this segment.

As an aside..........

It is only fair to mention that I think this segment is the worst case scenario for Ford in the NA market. The polar opposite is the B segment, where every competitors car is either so boring, so cheaply made, or so expensive that they leave the door wide open for the Fiesta, even the current model which is somewhat aged. It is easily the better of any B Car currently sold here. The Transit Connect is likewise a good fit. And should the segment stay as sparsely populated with truly compelling product as it is, only the Golf.Jetta, and Civic are truly players here at the moment, the C2 Focus seems likely to do well here too.

But I still think Ford would be better served to go a different route entirely.

Edited by jlsaylor

"No wonder the name Ford is fast becoming a four letter swear word in Europe when they produce rubbish like this"

What planet are you on?

Ford Europe is doing very well indeed, from a decline throughout the 90's, when a lack of high-tech powertrains drove consumers away.

I am from the dark side of the moon,

Somewhere you will never find a Ford Focus thank God, known as the Ford classic car scene, somewhere where a Ford Focus will never make it. Because to be "CLASSIC" is you have to be of a high quality, that's something a plastic Focus never will be, or be welcome there, as it a is is very very very boring CAD designed "DULL" computer designed rubbish. Just press the enter in 4500 years time and the computer will pump out the same "DULL" boring plastic Focus. Working on car design must be most boring dullest job on planet earth. l think l would rather sweep the streets it must be more exciting. Ford design team still show they have skill with the awesome Ford GT, which showed great substance, and beat Ferrari at there own game once more again, every car sold before it rolled of assembly line. Not to foget the awesome Mustang, which l wish Ford would sell a R/H drive version in the UK, l would buy a new one every three years. 1987 was the last time l visited a Ford showroom to buy a new car, something must be very wrong with Fords design team, as l am a Ford man to the core.

Jack Dee a British comedian summed up Ford very well at "What Car" awards last week at London's Park Lane.

The funnyman joked "Fords" got a table here tonight. Unfortunately it looks like any other table. And the knifes and forks are bit plasticky".

What's funny is that almost all of "British" car brands are owned by other countires. Rover is only one. who cares?

And yet the Brits think they are 'car experts'

Anyway, Biker16 will be in heaven when Ford starts to share platforms and the Transit comes here. Did he maybe have something to do with this bit of news? Just jokin, but it is interesting Biker gets his wish after all this time.

Edited by 630land

I was driving behind a new black Impala SS and a white Five Hundred in front of me on the interstate. The Impala has a tail up high haunch substantial look which is meaner, more aggressive and looks like it is in motion sitting still. I like it. The Five Hundred looked old, sedate, lethargic, geriatric and very tail down. ZZZZZZZZZ

What's funny is that almost all of "British" car brands are owned by other countires. Rover is only one. who cares?

And yet the Brits think they are 'car experts'

Anyway, Biker16 will be in heaven when Ford starts to share platforms and the Transit comes here. Did he maybe have something to do with this bit of news? Just jokin, but it is interesting Biker gets his wish after all this time.

Ford are the new Rover, back in the 1970's British Leyland produced very boring dull weak minded safe cars. I am a Brit and love Ford cars to bits. Ford (Europe) are going down the same road as Rover moment which l find very sad indeed. It was indeed magic cars like the very special mk1 Escorts, Cortinas and Capri's that killed off Rover they were rubbish, and very dull, and gearboxes were a bit of a hit miss affair, Fords gearboxs were very slick, the whole Ford package at the time left you feeling you owned something very special, somebody must have retired at Ford gearbox design team in the 80's, as the gearboxes became very notchey in Fords that l owned at the time. I can see a little bit of Rover history repeating itself with Ford at the moment it's a shame. Every other car on our motorways used be a Ford, but most now are either of German or French origin which l find it very sad. I do hope that Bill Ford and Alan Mulally who worked wonders at Boeing, he turned them around back into the No 1 Planemaker again. Ford must change thier outdated working practices just to survive, if they don't they will go under, nobody will win. Nissen's car plant in UK is the most productive in Europe with all the best practices, l think Alan Mulally is trying very hard do this in the States, it won't make him popular, but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, so l hope whats left of the US workforce, get behind him and support him, you also need special cars to sell like Ford have produced in the past, how you do it with a jellymould l don't know. But one things for sure l will never buy any of the dull boring UK range of cars they are producing at the moment, they just don't appeal to me in any shape or form at the moment. Good luck Ford l wish you all the best for the Future.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds