Freestyle Name To Be Used Again?

Illusive

With the demise of the original Freestyle (as it will be renamed as the Taurus X), will Ford's new Oakville-built '08 or '09 CUV (based from the Fairlane concept) use the Freestyle name?

I can't see them reviving the Freestyle name. It was already too easily confused with the Freestar minivan. The stated reason for going to Taurus X was that Freestyle had no market presence. It would be monumentally stupid to hang Freestyle on the "Fairlane"

I can't see them reviving the Freestyle name. It was already too easily confused with the Freestar minivan. The stated reason for going to Taurus X was that Freestyle had no market presence. It would be monumentally stupid to hang Freestyle on the "Fairlane"

But the confusion is over. It's possible if the Fairlane-based CUV to use the Freestyle name. Maybe call it Freedom.

But... there won't be any more Freestar minivan in the minds of most within the next couple of years.

Freestyle was simply a poor name, and I hope Ford lets it die... I like the idea of the Galaxy, which has some remmebered history... Galaxy/Galaxie spelling none the less... And would fit Mullaly's idea of stepping of a plane in either London or Detroit and knowing that a Ford Galaxy is a minivan-like people mover.

Freestyle was simply a poor name, and I hope Ford lets it die... I like the idea of the Galaxy, which has some remmebered history... Galaxy/Galaxie spelling none the less... And would fit Mullaly's idea of stepping of a plane in either London or Detroit and knowing that a Ford Galaxy is a minivan-like people mover.

I would like to see Galaxie make a return on a CV replacement rather than on a minivan.

I would like to see Galaxie make a return on a CV replacement rather than on a minivan.

I'm with Mark on this one. The Galaxie was the king of blue-collar sedans decades back (the 1960's, I think?), and should be used on the production successor to the Interceptor concept. Though I really hope they do use a few design cues from the original, but they should keep it fairly modern in appearance, much like the way Chevrolet did with the 2009 Camaro (with the new Challenger as an example of retro taken way, way too far!)...

"Fairlane" or "Fairmont" are names that are a little "safer" and "friendlier", thus more apt for use on a people-mover.

Maybe you could introduce a special edition with fake wood panels and call it the Country Squier? ;)

... yeah... I know... that's going a little too far!

What interests me the most is the possibility that the TaurusX and Explorer are rumored to merge into one product. Seems rather logical, as long as its still just as capable off road and maintains the good interior room of the current freestyle. Of course, I'd like to see them leverage the already completed development work on the Land Rover LR3 then reinvent the wheel again.

Do not use any names again that can be confusing like Super Duy, super cab, super crew. Or any names that sound as if you are giving the product away because it is no good like FREEstar or FREEstyle. Any thing in a people mover should be any name but ___star. Lets try to be more original and have a more pleasant name not associated with anything.

I've always thought Freestyle would be a better name for a small, cheap utility vehicle than a large people mover. Perhaps if we get something like the Focus C-Max, Freestyle would be a good name. Perhaps even for the stylish & somewhat sporty S-Max.

But I hope the Fairlane becomes the Galaxy. Sure, it's not a large V8-powered sedan like the old Galaxie 500, but the word Galaxy indicates large space, which the Fairlane will have, and it will tie into both Ford's history & the current world lineup worldwide.

Scott

Why does anyone think the Explorer should go away and leave Ford with no mid-size suv that can tow? DUH! They'd be the only major maker without one. I like the Fairlane name. Using Freestyle again is if you were Mr&Mrs Lewinski and decided to name your new daughter Monica.

Two different issues - but 1. there is nothing inherently wrong with the name Freestyle. Attaching it to a large, family oriented, non-youth market car was probably a poor choice however. And 2. GM has announced they won't be replacing the Trailblazer & clones - when sales dip, they're gone. Honda's never had one. The significant midsize towers are the Pathfinder, 4Runner, Trailblazer clones, Grand Cherokee, & Explorer - but sales of all of these has declined in the past several years. The Murano & Highlander outsell their cross-showroom "heavy-duty" friends because consumers simply want a more stylish, more efficient vehicle. To NOT use one of Ford's best names for a best selling vehicle would be foolish. The Explorer was a family car in the 90s, why can't it be a family car in the 10s?

Anyway, we'll see what happens with the new 6-speed Taurus X & upcoming notFairlane, but the newer CUVs have enough towing capacity for most users. For example, Acadia & Pilot are both rated at 4500lbs. If you really need to tow more than that, the fullsize SUVs like Expedition & Tahoe are not much costlier nor are they significantly thirstier. Why invest big sums on a midsize SUV that fewer and fewer consumers want?

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
I sure hope not, Freestyle is a weak name. In Europe, Ford calls their big CUV/Minivan "Galaxy", maybe they could use that name? Or maybe Aerostar? Anything but Freestyle or any other damn "F" name.

A lot of Ford officials wanted to call the Interceptor concept Galaxy, but Fields said no. He may be holding that name for the people mover?

A lot of Ford officials wanted to call the Interceptor concept Galaxy, but Fields said no. He may be holding that name for the people mover?

Good for him! Galaxy would've been a stupid name for that thing.

As with the people that got all worked up about the Fairlane name, YES, Galaxie WAS for a comparatively SHORT period of time, the name of a vehicle that COULD be fitted out with a high performance engine. But mostly, Galaxies, like Fairlanes, were just cars. Nothing more, nothing less.

Interceptor, IMO, fits that thing to a T.

----

Oh, and as to executives naming cars..... We got Taurus X because Mulally, Fields, Codina, and Engle were the primary people involved in a very quickly made decision to rename the Five Hundred and Freestyle.

Had they taken time to perform even ONE focus group session, you would've heard just about everybody in the room say, "Taurus X? Why not just call it a Taurus?" And common sense would've prevailed..... Assuming the execs would've paid attention to the focus group.

Instead what you got reflects very much the problems that come with fleshing out ideas entirely inhouse, without reference to the outside world. While renaming the Five Hundred "Taurus" may turn out to be a good idea, renaming the Freestyle "Taurus X" seems silly. It is indicative of a mindset that said "We have three models, we need three names," regardless of whether such a flimsy and awkward distinction resonates with the public.

They got almost to a sensible solution, but not quite.

Edited by RichardJensen

Do not use any names again that can be confusing like Super Duy, super cab, super crew. Or any names that sound as if you are giving the product away because it is no good like FREEstar or FREEstyle. Any thing in a people mover should be any name but ___star. Lets try to be more original and have a more pleasant name not associated with anything.

I think Super Duty is pretty much synonymous with "this is the top of the line big truck from Ford"

Don't know about those others.

Call the people mover the Galaxy, as seen in Europe.

Not Galaxie as that will hearken back memories of the car.

Reusing the name Aerostar is too soon unless they offer a truck-like minivan (not a bad thing, just what an Aerostar is.)

Call the small car the Freestyle.

Edited by Roadrunner

• 2 weeks later...