How Quiet Quality Came To Be

I hope it's quiet. This kind of marketing isn't really new though. GM's been advertising it's "quiet steel" used in buicks/pontiacs for a while. Those ads always make me chuckle.

I believe Ford was the first to advertise the use of "quiet steel" in the '04 F-150. Was right about the same time as the corny hanging-by-a-bed-bolt ad. :shrug:

The stuff was first used by Lexus. I cannot remember if they advertised it, but probably.

A big downside is that quiet steel cannot be recycled, unless this has changed.

You got it Mr. Karesh. I have a buddy that works at Applied Materials and the "quiet" material inside the steel beams has a half life roughly equivalent to lead, so its going to be around a while. Plus it doesn't have a "solvent" that breaks it down into "smaller pieces".

Current "quiet steel" is pretty much worthless to any corporation that has "Sustainable" business practices...

A half life equivalent to lead? Are you talking radioactive materials? The most common lead isotope really does not have a half life, as it does not decay by emitting radiation. The "quiet steel" used in automobiles is a steel/polymer/steel sandwich, I have a piece of it sitting on my desk. It IS recycleable. The polymer just "burns away" in the steelmaking process.

A half life equivalent to lead? Are you talking radioactive materials? The most common lead isotope really does not have a half life, as it does not decay by emitting radiation. The "quiet steel" used in automobiles is a steel/polymer/steel sandwich, I have a piece of it sitting on my desk. It IS recycleable. The polymer just "burns away" in the steelmaking process.

Basic high school chemistry would tend to disagree with you my friend, EVERYTHING has a half life.

Oh, and "burns away" ISN'T recycling, its a physical change of matter, that is not recycling.

Edited by g48150

"EVERYTHING has a half life"

The term half-life refers to radioactive elements rate of spontaneous decay, and is the amount of time for 50% of any radioactive element to fission into something else. The non-radioactive elements around here were formed billions of years ago and essentially, unless annihilated with conjunction with anti-matter, or sucked into a black hole, will be around until the end of this universe.

The term half-life refers to radioactive elements rate of spontaneous decay, and is the amount of time for 50% of any radioactive element to fission into something else. The non-radioactive elements around here were formed billions of years ago and essentially, unless annihilated with conjunction with anti-matter, or sucked into a black hole, will be around until the end of this universe.

Quiet Steel from MSC L and C comprises two metal skins surrounding a 25 micron-weldable viscoelastic polymer core. There is nothing radioactive in it so I fail to see why half life was ever brought up. The product is 100% recyclable, something both Ford and GM insisted on. The product has been in existance for about 15 years but has only come to prominence since about 2001.

For our American friends, 25 microns = 1 thousandth of an inch. This level of contaminant in recycling is insignificant.

There are many other sources out there but here's a link: http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/msc/msc100.html

In addition, Quiet Steel is 100% recyclable.

This is very important to the automotive industry today, as it seeks to increase the use of more "green" materials.

Many NVH materials used today are not environmentally friendly and must be separated during the recycling process.

Edited by jpd80

The term half-life does not solely refer to radioactive decay, but anything subject to exponential decay, including chemical processes: Wikipedia lists three other usages for half-life (lambda):

• In an RC circuit or RL circuit, lambda is the reciprocal of the circuit's time constant lambda (the symbol is the same as the mean lifetime, noted above; the two quantities happen to be equal). For simple RC and RL circuits, lambda equals RC or L / R, respectively.
  • In first-order chemical reactions, lambda is the reaction rate constant.
  • In biology (specifically pharmacokinetics), from MeSH: Half-Life: The time it takes for a substance (drug, radioactive nuclide, or other) to lose half of its pharmacologic, physiologic, or radiologic activity. Year introduced: 1974 (1971).

I won't claim any knowledge about how Quiet Steel would decay or whether it is recyclable enough so that it would matter in the first place...

Edit: Apparently the board is not Unicode compatible, so no spiffy Lambda character.

Edited by Noah Harbinger