'08 Ford Edge: Braking Changes

Swizco

Good Afternoon,

I've caught wind of changes to the 2008 Ford Edge that should cut 60-0 brake distances significantly. We'll go from being class-trailing to class leading.

Commence with the doom&gloom. Here are a few lead-ins: Simply copy, paste, and complain!

-Why wasn't this caught earlier? Ford is incompetent/crappy/dying.

-Why does it take until '08 to fix this issue? Ford is incompetent/crappy/dying.

-Why can't Ford engineers get anything right? Ford is incompetent/crappy/dying.

Swizco

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, they'll re-tune the motor for torque in 2-ton-plus vehicles as well. That's another area that "class leading" wouldn've been a nice feather for Ford's cap.

Future engines may be tuned for premium fuel and get the premium HP rating to grab some media attention like the Japanese do. The engines will run on regular as well. Knock sensors will be used and the EEC will recalibrate for regular.

What does everyone think about a 320 HP 3.7 Cylcone for the F-150, normally aspirated?

Or a 425 HP 3.5 Twin Force for the Mustang?

Stop the whining and bitching, it's coming together.

Swizco:

I'm considering a 'BON Troll' book of mad-libs.

It will make posting for some people on this board more fun and entertaining.

See? This is exactly the kind of _____ (crap / $#@& / trolling / Ford-Love) I'd expect out of you.

Face it, Richard, Ford is _____ (dead / dying / doomed). Its about time you _____ (stopped carrying water for them / got real / dried up / got hit by a meteor).

Its like ____ (Kyle / Bluecon / TheLemon / that guy why said the Edge would bomb) said: ___________ (The Edge stinks / The Fusion stinks / The Mustang stinks / Ford stinks / Everything stinks).

_________ (sensorship, etc. / free speech, etc. / desenting arguement not tolerated, etc. / strawman / personal attack)!!!

-____ (Swizco)

Future engines may be tuned for premium fuel and get the premium HP rating to grab some media attention like the Japanese do. The engines will run on regular as well. Knock sensors will be used and the EEC will recalibrate for regular.

What does everyone think about a 320 HP 3.7 Cylcone for the F-150, normally aspirated?

3.7 in the F-150? Isn't the 3.7 supposed to be a Lincoln special engine?

oh and the second is RIGHT ON.

3.7 in the F-150? Isn't the 3.7 supposed to be a Lincoln special engine?

oh and the second is RIGHT ON.

Actually, I think a 3.7L Cyclone would be excellent for mid-size truck, SUV, and CUV duty, especially if tuned for a fatter torque curve.

Then we can have a Ford Edge with upwards of 260 lb-ft and keep the 260 hp rating!

Though, to be honest, I can't really picture this thing in an F-150. You'd might as well trade up to the 4.6L 3v MOD.

Good to hear about the brakes! Now, if only they can put the darned thing on a 500 lb weight loss regimen...

Actually, I think a 3.7L Cyclone would be excellent for mid-size truck, SUV, and CUV duty, especially if tuned for a fatter torque curve.

Then we can have a Ford Edge with upwards of 260 lb-ft and keep the 260 hp rating!

Though, to be honest, I can't really picture this thing in an F-150. You'd might as well trade up to the 4.6L 3v MOD.

Good to hear about the brakes! Now, if only they can put the darned thing on a 500 lb weight loss regimen...

I'm all for a weight loss, as long as it doesn't compromise safety ratings.

I'm all for a weight loss, as long as it doesn't compromise safety ratings.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I think it would be easier to sell a CUV that gets slightly worse fuel economy but does exceptionally well in crash tests than it would be to sell a CUV that gets better fuel economy but bites the big one in crash tests.

I'm sure there are a few pounds that could be lost here and there, but asking for 500 lbs is a bit optimistic in my opinion - especially for those wishing for a 3rd row seat.

Edited by NickF1011

On behalf of the "anti negatoid" collective, I'd add that while I'm normally optimistic on Ford's stuff...and think the negatoids should form their own site (autowhiningbitches.org ?)...the number of Ford debuts this century that haven't been class-leaders is very, very, VERY hard on faithful.

The Edge's constantly-kicked-ass in comparos is just the latest example.

If they fix things 1 year in...brilliant! If the new motor gets spread to the cars/trucks it's needed...brilliant!

However, here in early 2007, we have a new SUV that's gotten a universal "so-so" from the scribes, an upcoming Focus slower than the last one (which, after the SVT model died, was slower than the last one as well. Ugly trend), a series of fine large vehicles abandoned for dead by Ford's PR morons, and the rest of the product/marketing stupidity that has marked the 21st century for Ford.

I love the Blue Oval 'til I'm dead...but the Edge reviews have been like getting gut-kicked.

If Ford was changing for the better, it would have been fixed before it went on sale.

Pioneer, let me introduce you to my complaints template:

1) Why wasn't this caught earlier? Ford is incompetent/crappy/dying.

2) Why does it take until '08 to fix this issue? Ford is incompetent/crappy/dying.

3) Why can't Ford engineers get anything right? Ford is incompetent/crappy/dying.

So you could have just posted the following, and saved yourself some time:

Good Evening,

#1! #3!

-Pioneer

If Ford was changing for the better, it would have been fixed before it went on sale.

I have to take some issue with this. there is some evidence Ford already changed the brakes from those that were on the early test models (which were driven by panels of consumers and automobile media alike).

the fact that they're upgrading them further is only testiment to the fact that they're not satisifed with being average here.

putting the Edge on a diet is not a bad idea, but not as easy as everyone seems to think. and 50-100lbs is the most you can ever realistically achieve without some major (read: bad) compromises.

17" standard wheels alone add significant weight, if they wanted to make it seems svelte they could have specified 16's. but I agree with those that mentioned all those standard safety features generally add the most extra heft.

But clearly Ford should have known the stopping distance of their own vehicle before releasing it, and they should have known every competitor's stopping distances as well. There's no excuse for releasing a vehicle that needed to be a big hit with such an obvious flaw. Are we to believe that Ford was as surprised by the braking distances as the car rags?

But clearly Ford should have known the stopping distance of their own vehicle before releasing it, and they should have known every competitor's stopping distances as well. There's no excuse for releasing a vehicle that needed to be a big hit with such an obvious flaw. Are we to believe that Ford was as surprised by the braking distances as the car rags?

What they need to do is offer an option free of charge "upgrade" for those who purchase an edge before the update hits production. That would be stepping up the game.

^^LMAO. Just add 'ostrich' and 'Chrysler' and you are all set to go.

I think the definition of troll is a bit skewed.

For a good explanation, see HERE

Apparently you assume by my previous Chrysler post that I must be a troll. If stating an unpopular opinion makes someone a troll, then at one point or another I guess we are all trolls here.

I've owned more Fords then most folks on this board. Though unlike many here, I don't have a blind loyalty to any one auto-maker and I also have a willingness to look at ALL sides of a situation, not just the rosy ones. I'll continue to support Ford.....as well as many other manufacturers. I've stated that since I joined this board 6 years ago and will continue to. Heck... at least unlike most, I've been consistent. I think my pro-Ford posts equal or outnumber my dissident posts regarding them. ;)

Now, back on topic: Regarding the running brake change, I think Ford is listening. They are learning that the customer is usually, if not always right.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Sounds great. The engines not the whining of course.

Are the braking results in previous tests on pre-production models? I have said this before and seen this covered before in other threads. My point is I don't take the test results at face value on those models. Either way, any improvement is welcome period.

Edited by Hugh

What they need to do is offer an option free of charge "upgrade" for those who purchase an edge before the update hits production. That would be stepping up the game.

Theres a idea. If there is any changes to your purchase of that nature, you should get a free 'upgrade' within what first year? It's a start.

I think the definition of troll is a bit skewed.

For a good explanation, see HERE

Apparently you assume by my previous Chrysler post that I must be a troll. If stating an unpopular opinion makes someone a troll, then at one point or another I guess we are all trolls here.

I've owned more Fords then most folks on this board. Though unlike many here, I don't have a blind loyalty to any one auto-maker and I also have a willingness to look at ALL sides of a situation, not just the rosy ones. I'll continue to support Ford.....as well as many other manufacturers. I've stated that since I joined this board 6 years ago and will continue to. Heck... at least unlike most, I've been consistent. I think my pro-Ford posts equal or outnumber my dissident posts regarding them. ;)

Now, back on topic: Regarding the running brake change, I think Ford is listening. They are learning that the customer is usually, if not always right.

Intrepidatious,

You weren't the one being called out here...I find your posting to be very balanced compared to certain other people around here....who are the target for this...

Theres a idea. If there is any changes to your purchase of that nature, you should get a free 'upgrade' within what first year? It's a start.

A thought...an expensive one, but a thought nonetheless.

BUT, it could backfire. A free retrofit could be seen as the original vehicles being unsafe in Ford's eyes. It would be looked at as an "invisible recall" without the dirty word. Which may be even worse. Sure, we know the vehicles are not inherently dangerous, but not everybody looks that deep. Especially headline writers.

Intrepidatious,

You weren't the one being called out here...I find your posting to be very balanced compared to certain other people around here....who are the target for this...

Thanks. I try to be pretty unbiased...If I ever do lean a bit in certain instances, but I try not to let it reflect in my posts.