The truth about trucks...

ebritt

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My God would you guys shut the fuck up already about the stupid Ford vs Tundra debate? WHO CARES who said their truck is better? You guys obviously think you know the answer anyway. What are you so worried about? Usually when people make fun of something its because they're afraid of it. Time will tell I guess if the Tundra does well but they seem to be selling welll, even though they are a big pig. I must agree they are a mite expensive. A 2wd V6 Tundra with rubber floormats and crank windows for 25 GRAND??? Thats crazy.

Yeah it could be a threat...*Hint Hint*Ford hurry up with the hurricane! F-150's in all honesty are starting to age, they need a revamp. But the video at one point had a beater 93 or something f-150 like my dads white with a camper. The damn thing lasts forever, but its time to retire, just put an order for a 08 250 fx4 with 6.4 in white 49k otd with no negotiations! Yay for Ken Grody ford fleet manager, gave us our asking price first shot. I have high hopes for it and if the emissions system is flawless and the problems with the 6.0 have been eliminated this will be a home run for ford.

I thought this was funny though popular mechanics ran a test of the new trucks the tundra stopped quickest unloaded but the ford beat everyone with a payload?? I thought its weird that braking improved with a load. Overall in their test they thought the engine needed more go to it, and i can't complain with that opinion.

Bigger rear brakes.

Check the specs. I think Ford's rear brakes are a half an inch wider than their front brakes.

Rich: You need to check this out on my 04 the pad to rotorin frontis much more than in the back I don't know about the rotor diameter, but I can just look at them and see there is more contact surface in front and somewhere I seem to remember that braking is 60% front to 40% rear??

Bigger rear brakes.

Check the specs. I think Ford's rear brakes are a half an inch wider than their front brakes.

I was watchin the "brakes" commercial and noticed something there also...the diameter is "slightly" larger but if you look at the width of the actual brake pad surface....it's rly identical. Unless the cooling and brake pressure specs are much , much better,...this in itself will not make for better braking as the commercial implies.

After going back and forth about the new Tundra, the truth hit me.

You see the ads for the Tundra and how it's "bigger" and "powerful", more so thatn trucks of the past. THAT is the key folks!! Toyota like to compare themselves to trucks of the past. Even in their comercials they claim that "for years" trucks had this or that. Like trucks just 10 years ago were junk.

The problem with that is that just 10 years ago people didn't demand what they do now from even a light duty full sized pickup. My 76 Chevy wouldn't tow 10,000 lbs, but you know what? I didn't need to! Neither did 90% of people out there. Most full size pick ups were Farmer Brown or Joe Schmoe pickin up some plywood at the local home depot. So what if it didn't have a 20" ring gear or pull a bajillion pounds!! We didn't need it or want it.

Now things have changed gradually over the years and we demand more and more from our pickups because we do more work, and play harder. Ford and GM and Dodge has pretty well kept up the pace.

So after makin a peice of crap for 14 years for Toyota to pop in compare themselves to trucks that a few years old and claim to have reinvented the truck.......what a crock of shit.

Most guys I see driving newer pickups in my suburban neighborhood could get the groceries just as well with a Focus or a Dodge Caravan, because that is all they use them for. Real working trucks are for farmers and contractors. A large percentage of trucks sold rarely go off road or have anything hitchted to them. They make more passes throught the car wash than they do through the back 40!

Most guys I see driving newer pickups in my suburban neighborhood could get the groceries just as well with a Focus or a Dodge Caravan, because that is all they use them for. Real working trucks are for farmers and contractors. A large percentage of trucks sold rarely go off road or have anything hitchted to them. They make more passes throught the car wash than they do through the back 40!

I live in a relatively yuppy area and MOST trucks around here are in fact used for work. It all depends on where you live. My buddies company is looking at the new tundra to replace his chevy. He just sent his boss that video to prove a point.

My God would you guys shut the fuck up already about the stupid Ford vs Tundra debate? WHO CARES who said their truck is better? You guys obviously think you know the answer anyway. What are you so worried about? Usually when people make fun of something its because they're afraid of it.

This is the same "don't give them any attention, it'll only help them" school of thinking that's lead to domestic automakers sitting back and taking body blows in the corner. Every offering from the competition should be exhaustively probed for flaws for use in their own advertising. America likes attack methods anyway, so why not nut up and respond?

This is the same "don't give them any attention, it'll only help them" school of thinking that's lead to domestic automakers sitting back and taking body blows in the corner. Every offering from the competition should be exhaustively probed for flaws for use in their own advertising. America likes attack methods anyway, so why not nut up and respond?
I agree.

• 2 months later...

The Tundra is not even in the same class as the Superduty. I wish I would have had a camera because, A constuction crew was laying sewer pipe in front of my house. Across the street the workers parked their personal vehicles. Low and behold an F-150 setting 2 feet away from a Tundra. Smaller cab, lower suspention, less ground clearance not to mention them trying to market a 3 piece c-channel frame as being better "Smarter engineering" than one piece frame rail totally boxed frame. Try telling that to a hardcore off roader!! I suspect the only ones to buy a Tundra will be "fake pimps" in the urban area's. Just as the Honda Ridgeline. Everyone who owns them love them But, they don't use them like a truck infact they never leave the pavement. And what's the deal with adding 1" to the bed? Who needs a 8'1" bed most 1/2 tons run a 5'5" or a 6'5" because people want an extended or crewcab! Although the 5.7L V8 in a Chevy build more power and has a reputation for reliability over the Ford. Ford has the most solid platform of any truck on the road today! I would be leary of Toyota's 5.7L It looks like their attempting to play off of Chevy's success by using a 5.7L :bowdown:

Edited by Furious1Auto

The only thing that Toyota's 5.7L has in common with GM's 5.7L is the displacement. Other than that, the 2 engines are very different. Dual overhead cams, 32 valves and variable valve timing for the Toyota vs pushrods and 16 valves for the GM.

No matter where your brand loyalty lies, if you dont think the new Tundra is impressive you need to take off the blinders.

Ford is definetely going to need to step it up if they want to stay competitive in the 1/2 ton truck market. GM has stepped it up, Toyota has stepped it up and if Ford doesnt do the same the F-150 will end up sharing the same fate as the Ranger.

The only thing that Toyota's 5.7L has in common with GM's 5.7L is the displacement. Other than that, the 2 engines are very different. Dual overhead cams, 32 valves and variable valve timing for the Toyota vs pushrods and 16 valves for the GM.

No matter where your brand loyalty lies, if you dont think the new Tundra is impressive you need to take off the blinders.

Ford is definetely going to need to step it up if they want to stay competitive in the 1/2 ton truck market. GM has stepped it up, Toyota has stepped it up and if Ford doesnt do the same the F-150 will end up sharing the same fate as the Ranger.

What do you mean...toyota cant haul near what the f150 can, neither can gm...they may be faster doing it...but that is being addressed with the new model...ford cant bring out a new truck every 3 years...its not feasible.

Toyota has stepped it up and if Ford doesnt do the same the F-150 will end up sharing the same fate as the Ranger.

Well, here's the thing. Toyota's Tundra isn't going to get a substantial upgrade for 5-6 years tops. In the meantime, the current model has a lousy crash rating, and can't out tow or out haul the 4 year old Ford F150.

When Toyota replaces Chevy/GMC as #2, then maybe its time to worry. Lets see the comparison of the 07 F-150 and 07 Tundra 10 years from now. I know who the winner will be.

When Toyota replaces Chevy/GMC as #2, then maybe its time to worry. Lets see the comparison of the 07 F-150 and 07 Tundra 10 years from now. I know who the winner will be.

No way the Ford would win. The new Tundra is the toughest truck EVER, period! They told me so on the commercials :P

Of course, I'm kidding. There is no way in hell the new Tundra will stand the test of time as a work truck as the current Ford or GM will.

I do have one question, why doesn't anyone mention the RAM when trucks are discussed. I think I know the answer, or at least my answer, but I'm just curious about thoughts of others.

I do have one question, why doesn't anyone mention the RAM when trucks are discussed. I think I know the answer, or at least my answer, but I'm just curious about thoughts of others.

Well the RAMs where also rans till the Semi look trucks came on the market in the late 1990's

My friend had one and it ate brakes every 12K on him. He's had 2 Deisel Super Duties (one stolen in Canada) and now a E-250/350 Diesel he uses for his handy man biz...hes a Ford convert.

Because it's a Dodge. :shrug: :finger:

You are kidding me??

However, it does sell more than Toyota and Nissan, right? I'm far from a Dodge Ram fan, but it is one reason why GM and Ford shouldn't be worried about the Tundra "stealing" truck sales from "American" manufacturers.

They had to "step it up" because they "stepped on their dicks" for the last 14 years with that peice of shit T100/Turdra.

I do have one question, why doesn't anyone mention the RAM when trucks are discussed. I think I know the answer, or at least my answer, but I'm just curious about thoughts of others. :shrug: :finger:

Because just like toyota, Dodge doesn't build trucks! Most of the American's that buy trucks are rednecks, hillbille's, Farmers, ranchers, and American business owners people with a sense of loyalty to America. Good luck selling it to anyone but the brothers in the hood! Even if that sorryass excuse for a truck was better than the domestic brands. I'd rather drive a Dodge at least they recognize the value of a boxed frame! Toyota's attempt to sell a three section frame and telling people it's the best is like, selling CZ and telling people it's better than diomond!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Your quote is incorrect. I never typed any of that stuff, 02MustangGT did.

As far as the Rams go, I find the trucks entirely underwhelming. I'd honestly rather have a 5.7 Tundra than a Mexican-built and (until recently) German-owned Dodge based on the powertrain alone. The 5.7 Toyota mill makes the 5.7 Dodge mill feel absolutely anemic, and other than crash tests scrores, the Tundra trumps the Dodge on every other front.

I'd still take a Ford (or even Chevy) truck above the others.

Edited by White99GT