Kiss the American Auto Industry Good-Bye

68Cougar

Ford should just buy the Charger and 300 since they are incapable of producing a RWD sedan on thier own...

Chrysler is only worth the Jeep brand itself. At that, there are only a few Jeep models worth saving. Some need to go away.

Most of the Dodge and Chrysler models just need to vanish off the face of the earth. Ford and GM are better in every way with competeing models.

Reality is... no automaker wants to pay UAW costs anymore. Domestic brands are slimming down to a few nameplates and models that sell.

What is the good old USA going to do in the future? We have went from an industrial nation to one that just consumes and shops for imported goods.

Ford should just buy the Charger and 300 since they are incapable of producing a RWD sedan on their own...

Chrysler is only worth the Jeep brand itself. At that, there are only a few Jeep models worth saving. Some need to go away.

Most of the Dodge and Chrysler models just need to vanish off the face of the earth. Ford and GM are better in every way with competeing models.

Reality is... no automaker wants to pay UAW costs anymore. Domestic brands are slimming down to a few nameplates and models that sell.

What is the good old USA going to do in the future? We have went from an industrial nation to one that just consumes and shops for imported goods.

The USAs GDP is outstanding. Consumers are shopping for the best products that fits their needs.

If the Big 3 are unable to build what the consumer wants, someone else will.

Honda is building a new plant in Indiana and Toyota will build a new plant in Mississippi. Toyota just finished building a plant in Texas and expanded the one in Indiana.

While it will be bad for Chrysler employees, if the company goes away, it will help GM and Ford.

The big problem with the U.S. auto market is too much capacity. If Chrysler went away, it would help GM and Ford. There are still buyers who will only consider a domestic car (and ignore the sentiments expressed on messageboards such as this - to the general public, Dodge and Chrysler are still domestic nameplates). If one company goes away, that leaves Ford (and GM) to capture those buyers, thus giving both companies some breathing room.

Now, if GM buys Chrysler, that opens up a whole can of worms for GM, but it still gives Ford some breathing room, as GM will be sidetracked as it tries to integrate the two companies.

You are aware that the 300 is built on the previous generation E class platform, right?

I know the LX cars are based on several modified design componants, not a complete platform from a previous E-class ... And this was done while Chrysler was aquired by Daimler as one merged company.

Ford of NA wiil not even pull from its own resources to provide a RWD performance sedan.

Its a shame Ford isn't in position to acquire Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep. They have a lot they could bring to the table. While acquiring a serious brand like Jeep to compete against Hummer and Toyota. They could lop off the Panther platform, revise the Mercedes-derived rear suspension for the LX cars and align the Ram to be a sibling of the F-150 and Lincoln LT, akin to the platform sharing of GM. They would immediately have a mid-size truck platform to position between the Ranger and F-150. Quick fix for a larger engine with the Hemis, drop the Dodge 4.7 SOHC for the 4.6 3 valve Ford. Look at how all this makes sense. Take the Viper, move it to Ford and put Shelby Cobra on it!!

Crazy notion and corporate suicide, I know. Ford could benefit more from a Chrysler acquisition than GM could, but Ford couldn't do it even if they wanted to. Its sad to say, but its probably more likely that Chrysler and Dodge will disappear eventually and Jeep will be sold off to the highest bidder...probably Toyota!!

Edited by Traveler

I know the LX cars are based on several modified design componants, not a complete platform from a previous E-class ... And this was done while Chrysler was aquired by Daimler as one merged company.

Ford of NA wiil not even pull from its own resources to provide a RWD performance sedan.

I stand corrected. I'd always heard it was the entire platform.

too many employees and too many costs (especially employee costs). Quote from the article...quick question who was to blame for this...demanding UAW?...personally I find it a shame the domestics seem to get penalized for seemingly attempting to look after their workers medical and benefits better than ...say TOYOTA! Please correct me if I am wrong...but when someone has leverage..ie UAW...seems they never can put enough in their own court, and have to be held at least a little accountable to the current state of the Automobile business...how come toyota and Honda etc don't have half of the same problems...less union demands perhaps?, less medical/ retirement "sponsorships"? I really don't know and will admit to being ignorant and probably talking out of my a$$ right now....someone please enlighten... :stirpot:

Edited by Deanh

Its a shame Ford isn't in position to acquire Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep. They have a lot they could bring to the table. While acquiring a serious brand like Jeep to compete against Hummer and Toyota. They could lop off the Panther platform, revise the Mercedes-derived rear suspension for the LX cars and align the Ram to be a sibling of the F-150 and Lincoln LT, akin to the platform sharing of GM. They would immediately have a mid-size truck platform to position between the Ranger and F-150. Quick fix for a larger engine with the Hemis, drop the Dodge 4.7 SOHC for the 4.6 3 valve Ford. Look at how all this makes sense. Take the Viper, move it to Ford and put Shelby Cobra on it!!

Crazy notion and corporate suicide, I know. Ford could benefit more from a Chrysler acquisition than GM could, but Ford couldn't do it even if they wanted to. Its sad to say, but its probably more likely that Chrysler and Dodge will disappear eventually and Jeep will be sold off to the highest bidder...probably Toyota!!

apparently the biggest hurdle is an unpaid 16 BILLION dollar benefits and medical bill that comes with the aquisition.....

And what's going to happen to Ford? Is a U.S. automobile industry without Ford possible? Even a now-retired Ford employee recently told me that he never thought it possible but now is reconsidering. Indeed, Ford's turnaround appears elusive. Only recently, Ford admitted it is not meeting the goals of its Way Forward turnaround plan and employees are losing faith.

Sad but true. Chryslers problems are only the beginning of the demise of the Big 3. If anyone at GM or Ford is being smug at the possibility of Chryslers sale, they are being fools.

The same reasons Chrysler is in this situation - namely the legacy costs - are also going to be the downfall of Ford and possibly GM in the future unless something drastic happens in the labor negotiations this year.

Sad but true. Chryslers problems are only the beginning of the demise of the Big 3. If anyone at GM or Ford is being smug at the possibility of Chryslers sale, they are being fools.

The same reasons Chrysler is in this situation - namely the legacy costs - are also going to be the downfall of Ford and possibly GM in the future unless something drastic happens in the labor negotiations this year.

Well, the one thing good that could come out of a demise of Chrysler would be the loud wakeup call it would give to GM, Ford, their employees, and the unions. With its death, they might all FINALLY see the writing on the wall and make the sweeping changes necessary to stay afloat.

The unions will always ride a sinking ship till the propellers are at twelve o'clock high and going out of sight. Then the executive board will man the rowboats bleating like sheep about the great fight they put up for their fellow workers...

Well, the one thing good that could come out of a demise of Chrysler would be the loud wakeup call it would give to GM, Ford, their employees, and the unions. With its death, they might all FINALLY see the writing on the wall and make the sweeping changes necessary to stay afloat.

From a logical standpoint, that makes total sense. But in reality, we are talking about an institution with a sense of entitlement where logic is thrown out the window.

That and corporate management that dictates to the American public what it is that they want - as opposed to the foreign competition that listens to their customers, as well as treating them with respect at the dealerships.

But the bottom line is that DCX was argueably putting out better cars for the middle class than Ford or GM in the late 90's - early '00's IMHO and that wasn't enough. So in this instance management didn't drop the ball but again the legacy costs were it's Waterloo.

Chrysler will eventually probably go away as we know it. 10 years down the road I can also see Ford going away as we know it UNLESS they can pull another Taurus/Mustang/'49 Ford phenom out of it's bag of tricks.

Wouldn't it be ironic, since the Dodge Brothers helped found FoMoCo in the early 1900's, if Chrysler were broken up and Ford dropped Mercury and acquired Dodge?