FUSION vs AVENGER

GRANTKREJCI

Honestly, the Avenger isn't a bad car from a design perspective, and I'm sure it drives well. The main problem is that it's a 3/4 baked car, with many shortcomings that could be easily corrected. The interior could be of better quality, the dynamics could be finer-tuned, the motors could be much better, etc. The Fusion experiences this to an extent, but I feel the Fusion is about 98% of the way from being a class leader, where the Avenger is 75% of the way to being competitive with class leaders. The Avenger could be very strong with nice big chrome wheels, a 300hp turbo, and priced under $28,000.

Fusion recalls: 0

Avenger recalls: 1

Avenger gets the higher score. Woohoo :D

Who wins................ well, I guess it depends on what you mean by wins.

If the Avenger is anything like the Sebring, I expect them to sell like gangbusters. After all, the first two Sebrings that my local dealership had.............. are still there. Maybe they are waiting for the local Enterprise office to need some???

A manumatic module plugged onto an old transmission with really slow shifts.

No, I like the transmissions many Ford products are being fitted with these days for "enthusiast" driving: 2 speeds: forward and reverse. Very similar to driving a golf cart.

p.s. Funny someone should post this though - I have had a couple of fleeting adolescent thoughts about which of these cars could be moded to better effect.

Edited by retro-man

First off, I don't subscribe to the brand loyalty sentiment wholeheartedly. If I judge one better than the other, I'll say it. If I like enough to buy it over the other model, I would. I like Ford a lot but won't buy anything Ford throws out there.

That said, the Fusion (to me) is a more handsome car overall and the interior is considerably better. The Avenger has a decent sporty look, but the interiors of the Sebring and Avenger look to be a result of cost-cutting measures.

The Ford brand as a whole, in its class, owns both GM and Chrysler...and Toyota in my HONEST opinion. Toyotas are the most overrated, bland interiors I've seen. GM, particularly Chevrolet, are terribly cheap. After looking at the Chevrolets at the local show, I was convinced that I wouldn't pay anywhere close to sticker for any of them, except for the Corvette!

I will say this, though. Lincoln is making some of the ugliest interiors I've seen in a looong time. They look like 1970-ish console televisions. Yuck!