FORD FLEX!!!!

What because YOU don't like the design? That makes a lot of sense.

Everyone's got an opinion, just like they've got... that other thing.

The basic problem here is this vehicle follows too many recent automobile design fads. And this one's late to the party.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basic problem here is this vehicle follows too many recent automobile design fads. And this one's late to the party.

And what design fads would you be thinking of?

The two tone roof option borrowed from the Mini and dating back to the early 60s?

The creases on the vehicle's flanks that haven't been seen anywhere else?

Or the two-box design that goes back as far as....well how long have station wagons been on the market?

This is a big station wagon. It will look like a big station wagon, and if it had more bumps and curves, it would be compared to the Lambdas instead of the Scion, Mini, and Range Rover.

Late to the party??????????????????? What party...he's single...theres NOTHING out there like this...and it is Anti- minivan....fill me in...what does it compare too? in FORM...NOT function?

I've been reading some other websites, that aren't specifically Ford Lovin/Hating as it is here, and I would say 90% find the vehicle very attractive overall, and about 40% are wishing Ford very well for it...something different they say.

Some tidbits I've noticed...the speedometer/tach faceplates need some "lines", all there is, ist just 20, 40, 60 and no little lines inbetween. Iceblue lighting, seems to have made it, as well as being able to change it, thats a plus. I was expecting more word as to the structure/platform, and other specific as well, specially weight. Hopefully it won't weigh more than the Lambdas.

Also noticed the A/C dials, and such, are the "poke thru face" variety, but it's really just all one or 2 "dins", that give it the illusion it's poke thru. Most others scatter their buttons everywhere for "poke thru" design. Notice the big water bottle holder on the rear side doors.

I wouldn't be surprised if this vehicle hits $42-45K highly optioned.

There are more lines in the speedo. Just not for each mph on the face. There there in 5 mph increments.

This is just a solid vehicle for Ford. It doesn't look like any other vehicle on the market (even if it has bits and pieces seen elsewhere), and it looks 'right' with the Ford logo on the front:

09a_5185_450.jpg

Even if it's compared to the Mini, the Scion, and the Range Rover, the vehicle still seems to have (IMO) a certain "American" quality to it--might be the big chrome grille, might be the side strakes, might be the long & (comparatively) low profile.

Late to the party??????????????????? What party...he's single...theres NOTHING out there like this...and it is Anti- minivan....fill me in...what does it compare too? in FORM...NOT function?

Buick Enclave

GMC Acadia

Saturn Outlook

Toyota Highlander (new this fall)

Honda Pilot (new this fall/next spring)

Hyundai Vera Cruz (out soon).

Sure these look more like an SUV, but they are direct competitions. So are traditional minivans.

But it is hardly late to the party - it is right in time ... and the form factor is quite unique, which will bode very well for it if all the basics are covered. Ford example, the GM Lambdas have problem because the 2nd row is not comfortable - GM made the 3rd row spectacular, but 2nd one suffered because of it. The immediate possible downfall of this car is MPG - the Lambdas get better MPG with more HP and higher displacement than the Edge .. and the Flex will be even heavier ... Ford needs to address the mileage of the D35 quick .. or simp[ly squeeze out more power so the MPG seems justified by the higher power.

Igor

Buick Enclave

GMC Acadia

Saturn Outlook

Toyota Highlander (new this fall)

Honda Pilot (new this fall/next spring)

Hyundai Vera Cruz (out soon).

Sure these look more like an SUV, but they are direct competitions. So are traditional minivans.

But it is hardly late to the party - it is right in time ... and the form factor is quite unique, which will bode very well for it if all the basics are covered. Ford example, the GM Lambdas have problem because the 2nd row is not comfortable - GM made the 3rd row spectacular, but 2nd one suffered because of it. The immediate possible downfall of this car is MPG - the Lambdas get better MPG with more HP and higher displacement than the Edge .. and the Flex will be even heavier ... Ford needs to address the mileage of the D35 quick .. or simp[ly squeeze out more power so the MPG seems justified by the higher power.

Igor

Igor...function wise for sure...altough i have feeling this will stand head and shoulders above whom you have mentioned...( Form )esthetically it couldn'T be more different...and THAT is it's ace in the hole...people WANT something different...quirky even....personally I think the SUV market is bordering on staurated/ definitely over populated....

Im diggin it, its got that chopped top kind of flavor, looks like a ford and the interior is pretty damn sweet.

Looks like a good family hauler, I dont know what it is but I look at the Flex and think I should dislike its somewhat retro theme but it looks awesome for some reason. Theres just something "right" about the vehicle.

They need this on the market fast, and kill the freestyle.

It sure didn't seem like aerodynamics were of paramount concern while designing the Flex. :hysterical:

agreed...but I like this...and swoopy has its consequences when it comes to functionality...and THAT may be where this trumps the SUV"S.....and maybe even some minivans.... ie headroom, hauling ability, cargo capacity....this thing looks capable of an 8ft peice of plywood!

a moment of silence please....hey wait theres a Taurus X....it looks suspiciously like..........

The Taurus "X" comes to market with an Eddie Bauer trim, which should give you some idea of where and to whom this vehicle will be marketed. Also, the Taurus X serves to provide a bottom end protection for the Flex. The Flex can start off closer to $30k, and not leave people on a tighter budget in the lurch.

I don't see Ford killing off the Taurus X, but I don't see it outselling the Flex either.

The Taurus X will probably sticker for about $24,995 to start, about a $600 discount from the 2007 Freestyle; if the Flex starts at c. $28,995 or even $28,495, that still gives a solid price range where the Taurus is the sole option.

This splintering of the crossover market puts a lot of pressure on other mfrs. For instance, by targeting the Lambdas with two vehicles instead of one, they manage to get high ground both on the "value" end and on the "luxury" end.

The Flex has the same silliness as the new Chryslers with a MyGig type system on the Nav units. Somehow I don't see a couple with 2-3 kids spending hours out in the garage programming the jukebox that comes with their new Flex.