Why buy a FORD

We'd all still be driving '82 Granadas

Sounds good to me! Lighweight, RWD, make mine a 5.0! The fact that Ford no longer makes a modern/up to date interpitation of a quintesential American car like the Granada is perhaps why they are neither here nor there...in terms of relevency.

Edited by Project-Fairmont

I drive a Ford probably because I grew up in a Ford family. My father who is now 70 always said he would never drive a GM product because you don't work your butt off to support the worlds largest corporation. Now, of course, they are no longer the world's largest corporation and soon Toyota will probably be the biggest auto company in the world. I like supporting the underdog as long as they have a decent, reliable and safe product. I agree that you should buy whatever you want. Being 30 years old, a lot of my peers tried to pressure me into buying a Toyota when I got my Explorer. I wanted a traditional BOF SUV and after spending a little time around the Toyota 4-Runner, I just felt more comfortable and secure in the Explorer not to mention the price was better. I felt it was a better value for my money. I still feel pride driving a product that comes from a company with a legacy like the Ford Motor Company.

I guess you do have to narrow it down to whether you will purchase from a domestic automaker or not. Even though you said that does not matter, that is most peoples first critera. If you have enough confidence with the domestic automakers then you have to look at who offers the best value for your dollar. If you don't feel any connection to one company over the other then I think you will find in many vehicle categories it is pretty hard to beat Ford. The thing Ford needs to realize is that they were the only domestic automaker that actually attracted import owners in the 1980's and 1990's. I think they are more likely then GM or Chrysler to attract these people again if they continue to produce products like F-Series, Mustang, Fusion, 2008 Taurus and Edge. What won't attract them is some of their older products that are outdated and need to be replaced. I don't even need to tell you what those products are.

If you can buy a Ford from an Autonation dealer or a Carmax, PLEASE DO IT!!!

These inbred, money-grubbing Ford dealerships are nothing but trouble.

I take it you have bought a car from Carmax or Autonation? Is the experience better? I am curious because I will soon be in the market for a new car and I have dealt with 3 separate Ford dealers in the past and I am not impressed with any of them. They are still living in the 60's or 70's with stereotypical salesman that don't listen to you and just try to "move the metal". I guess I'm looking for a more professional approach by the salesman. One that is more based on knowledge of the product he is selling instead of following some guidelines passed down from one generation of idiot salesman to another.

Fortunately, I don't have any horror stories about the service departments at Ford dealerships since I have had to visit one only once during my 19 years as a Ford customer. I have owned two Fords in that span. The first was a brand spanking new 1988 F150 Lariat with a "big six" and 5 speed manual. That badboy had 205,000 miles on it and in the end would only start to burn oil if I went over 4000 miles between changes. I replaced an alternator and a water pump and a U-joint in the 14 years that I drove it. Never had any major mechanical problems. I'm told '88 was the year Ford experimented with water based paints and from the look on my hood and top of the cab that experiment was a total failure. It didn't look nice but that engine ran like new to the day I parked it and bought a new 2001 Explorer. I bought it in January of 2001, right after the Firestone fiasco broke loose. After hearing all the reasons for these deaths related to the Explorer it became apparent to me that in most cases it was driver stupidity to blame more than a design flaw in the vehicle. So to prove a point to my family who had turned their back on Ford, I bought one to be one of the few at the time that still had faith in Ford. It had the same Firestone tires that were associated with all the failures. But these tires were ok'd by Firestone as safe. 15,000 miles later Ford replaced them for free which coincided with the beginning of the downward slide that this company has embarked upon over the last 6+ years. Before this crap happened, the Explorer was at the top of the quality charts but since then I have yet to see it rank very high in quality ratings. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones since after 108,750 miles I have only changed the oil, replaced the brakes, front rotors included, and replaced the battery. So as you can see, I have two very good reasons to buy a Ford again. Now if I can only find a dealership that can present a salesman to me that doesn't make me want to bash their face into a bloody pulp I will be purchase my next Ford. In conclusion, unfortunately I know others that have had the same experiences that I have had with Ford but they have jumped ship anyway so that they could look cool in their Toyotas and Hondas. Perception is the real problem Ford has and it will take a long time to overcome the instant negative feeling people have about Ford, and other American cars, before they will come back. But with the Fusion and Edge and unlike most people on this Forum, I like the 500/Taurus. When I first saw one on the interstate in my rearview mirror I thought it was a Mercedes or Lexus. It has an understated elegance about it IMO. I'm not in the market for a car that large but if I fell in the target market for that car I would definitely have it at the top of my list based on safety, space, and looks damnit! I'm pleased to be on this message board and look forward to correcting some of you idiots out here.

Why by a Ford?

I Would not have it any other way, very "Special" cars nothing will can ever beat owning a Ford, l am a member of the "Old Skool Fords".

http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/phpBB2/front/

It’s a great social way to meet hundreds of other like minded owners of all types of magical Blue Ovals cars. I don't think you would get the same experience owning a car such as a boring, dull and bland Jap Crap Toyota Camry Jellymould (Just a me myself and l type car). Younger members in the group are a great bunch of lads, love their classic blue ovals to bits, they don’t do crap like drugs, and it keeps them out of trouble, just seem to spend their time & cash on their classic Blue Oval, Pub & Outings. So owning a Ford is "Fun", it's great keeps our Yoof out of trouble.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Let's see...why buy a Ford...

Let's go down the list!

1. Focus- being refreshed with sweet new interior, still on one of the best-driving chassis in its market.

2. Fusion- award-winning sedan availalbe with 4 or 6 cyl motors, awd is available, hybrid version due within months, very sweet driving family car.

3. Taurus- the enw Taurus will have 260+ hp on tap, available awd, award-winning safety, and an interior best described as "cavernous".

4. Mustang- Head-turning styling, fantastic performance value, the original pony car continues to get better.

5. Crown Vic- Because you've always liked big, comfortable cars that felt solid as bank vaults, and always wanted your own cop car.

6. Ranger- The last soldier in the compact truck class is the most fuel efficient truck sold in NA, can be outfitted to be quite capable for either work or play.

7. Explorer- Best ever, IRS, very comfortable, still the 400 lb gorilla of its (smaller) market.

8. Sport Trac- Out-tows Ridgeline, certainly looks better than Ridgeline, based on best-ever Explorer, V8 option.

9. F-150- Class benchmark in interior and structure, highest tow rating, 5.4 is more than adequate for actual truck duties, doesn't have Tundra's hideous nose.

Do I need to continue?

Why I would buy a Ford...

Three reasons as of today: F-Series trucks, Mustangs and Crown Victoria. Nobody builds a model that comes close to it in 2007 IMO. Of course, that isn't a slight on my Ram. When I bought it, I felt the same way I do now and that is its a good truck and the quality of the build and materials were there then. Today, the 07s don't have the same appeal to me as my 03 does.

Moving along, the F-150 is the gold standard and by what all half-tons are measured by. If one model has more power, its more powerful than the F-150. If it gets better mileage, its more efficient than the F-150 or cheaper than the F-150. Point is its the truck that the industry measures against. That says something...even if its not a runaway winner in the class. The HDs, well look at what you find on many HD construction sites and that pretty much answers that.

The Mustang is the enduring sports coupe/pony car. It too is the tape measure and the winner in a niche market. Its a legend and to have said you've owned a Mustang in your life is liking saying you know all the words to the Star Spangled Banner, eat apple pie and vote every year. Its all-American...at least close to it today and it has returned to its historical roots in styling. It offers value, practicality and performance. It's Mustang. 'ufe said.

Crown Victoria is not the ancient dinosaur most people think it is. Its a rolling work in progress. Strong and sturdy, it handles a lot of abuse that probably some old pickup trucks couldn't handle. Its about as quiet of a interior as you can get, offers many modern amenities, handles much better due to the more rigid frame and the extensive mods to the suspension. It accelerates as good, if not better than some cars in its class and can get high 20s in mileage on the highway...even with the performance package. Its an incredible highway car and can probably outlast many cars on the road.

Other Ford products may come and go. Some will leave a lasting impression on the industry like Taurus, Explorer or Expedition. However, these vehicles are soon copied enough times over and improved upon that they fade as top choices. However, F-Series, Mustang and Crown Victoria represent what Ford does well mostly on their own and are the backbone of the company.

Check out my home page and you'll get an idea ;-)

http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

Although My Fords/Lincolns/Mercurys have been very reliable, I'm not into cars as an appliance. If the only 2 cars available on the planet were a Toyota Camry and an Alfa Romeo Spyder...I'd take the Alfa. Cars today are very reliable. With VW at the bottom and Toyota at the top of some (JD Powers?) lists, it just shows how much better cars have become.

Fords built this country. They were one of the first auto companies to raise wages so their employees could afford to buy the automobiles they were producing. The "low price, economy field" Plymouth, Chevrolet and Ford were not pretentious. They were the poor man's Imperial/Cadillac/Lincoln. Fords have always been a great "bang for the buck" in terms of price, performance, quality, comfort and style. That was true for my first car, a 64 Galaxie and is still true for my 05 Mustang GT.

Not every Ford is class leading (hello...Ranger!) That may even be part of it's charm....kind of like ol Henry's "any color as long as it's black" or, less charming, his resistence to switch to hydraulic brakes. But Ford, almost without exception has made good, decent vehicles that fits most people's needs. I recommend them to my friends and buy them myself. Sometimes I DO recommend other cars that are flat out better based on wants or needs, or are nonexistent in the Ford lineup.

One of my first new vehicles was a 79 Toyota Corona. When I went back for service I got treated terribly. Never saw me again. I stuck to my old reliable Chevys after that. Bought 3 Chevy Blazers. In 86 I wanted to buy a Chev Pickup. My wife wanted another Blazer. So we met in the middle and bought a Ford F250 supercab pickup. By the mid nineties my wife started to call it the money pit. Cause I started modifying it i.e. 460 engine and then rebuilding everything on it. But we loved that truck. Then we bought the 02 Diesel which we still have. This truck has been awesome. I just ordered th new 08.

My reasons for staying with Ford. Great service from the Sales and Service Dept. I bought an 03 Escape for my daughter in 05. My daughter and I were in the showroom yesterday looking at the Edge and in the time we were there, 3 salesmen came by and said hi and shook hands. So did the used car manager, Both Finance managers and a Service Adviser. All know me by my first name. My daughter was amazed.

Both my brothers drive Chevys but it would take something pretty bad right now to cause me to go somewhere else.

I've owned a 1981 Ford Fairmont, 1984 Datsun Sentra, 1986 Chevy Celebrity, 1991 Ford Tempo, 1996 Ford Areostar, 2000 Mercury Marquis, 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, 2006 Honda Civic and 2006 Ford Escape, all bought new except the first.

The only time I've been stranded on the road were with the Sentra (electrical) and the Chevy (distributor).

That's why I buy Fords, although it took faith after the Tempo, I'll admit!

I was trying to wait for the Edge when my 150 lease was up but I couldn't. I didn't really know what I wanted and didn't want to spend a lot without a clear vision of what I wanted.

I bought a new Focus with all the normal power features, plus a power sunroof, the top radio option, and heated mirrors and heated leather seats all for $14,500.It was at the end of the year so there was incentives along with A-plan. Take out the A-plan and it was about $16,000 before haggling with the dealer to try and get it lower, I would guess you could have got it for $15,500 easy enough.

I look at all the cars around me and wonder if they could get the car they are in totally loaded for $14,500 and I just don't think they can.

I can not seem to get a real answer from anyone about this. I am not talking about buy american, or quality or the usual run of the mill answers. Why buy a Ford?

Here is what you are up against,

1. I dont work at Ford or any other automotive company.(so i dont get a employee discount)

2. The automotive industry does not effect my job.

3. Nobody in my family works or is effected by the automotive companies.(no im not a movie star)

So I ask you again, why buy a Ford? why buy an american car?

------------------------things i have heard-----------------------------------------------------------

*Why am I good enough to buy a Ford but not good enough to build a Ford?

*Ford lays off 30,000 Employees, do you think those 30,000 will buy Fords?

*I once asked this Indian guy I once worked with why he drove a Honda, He told me his brothers friend worked for a company that was engineering parts to break after time on american cars, yes this might be a rumor, but it reflects the reasons why all the H1B people donot drive american.

It's a bit like saying "convince me to do something"

No one should be trying to convince you to buy a car you don't want or don't feel strongly about.

When you make up your mind which cars you like then the salesmen takes over.

It is your decision which car you buy not others.

Edited by jpd80

Why I buy Fords?....

Because they have been good to me and my family.

I have been a Ford tech for 11 years and Master Certified.

I have converted all my family to Ford people. My dad had a 97 Chevy 3500 truck. It got stolen and I got him a new 02 F350. He says that the F350 is the best and nicest truck he has ever owned and will not let it go. It now has 190k and just mainly maint. needed. Mom had a 01 Cadillac Deville. She had terrible service out of it. Kinda a problem vehicle. I got her into a new 03 LS v8, desite a few problems she loves it. I got my sister into a new 06 Freestlye. She really likes her car also. I have owned several Fords, a centennial 03 Taurus, and now an 06 Fusion.

Ford pays my bills, so I am going to support them every time I can.

I wish Alan and FMC the best on the turn around. We are all counting on them. As far as the new vehicles, we are going in the right direction.

To do my part, me and others at work are doing whatever we can to make the customers happy so they will come back. :hyper:

Let's see...why buy a Ford...

Let's go down the list!

1. Focus- being refreshed with sweet new interior, still on one of the best-driving chassis in its market.

2. Fusion- award-winning sedan availalbe with 4 or 6 cyl motors, awd is available, hybrid version due within months, very sweet driving family car.

3. Taurus- the enw Taurus will have 260+ hp on tap, available awd, award-winning safety, and an interior best described as "cavernous".

4. Mustang- Head-turning styling, fantastic performance value, the original pony car continues to get better.

5. Crown Vic- Because you've always liked big, comfortable cars that felt solid as bank vaults, and always wanted your own cop car.

6. Ranger- The last soldier in the compact truck class is the most fuel efficient truck sold in NA, can be outfitted to be quite capable for either work or play.

7. Explorer- Best ever, IRS, very comfortable, still the 400 lb gorilla of its (smaller) market.

8. Sport Trac- Out-tows Ridgeline, certainly looks better than Ridgeline, based on best-ever Explorer, V8 option.

9. F-150- Class benchmark in interior and structure, highest tow rating, 5.4 is more than adequate for actual truck duties, doesn't have Tundra's hideous nose.

Do I need to continue?

Agree on all except the first one. The Focus is only a middlin' compact car. It drives well enough, but its safety features leave much to be desired. In this car class, the VW Rabbit has better handling & safety. The new Focus (Fiesta?) has some catching up to do. And I heard it still won't have rear seat headrests! Sheesh!

I can not seem to get a real answer from anyone about this. I am not talking about buy american, or quality or the usual run of the mill answers. Why buy a Ford?

Here is what you are up against,

1. I dont work at Ford or any other automotive company.(so i dont get a employee discount)

2. The automotive industry does not effect my job.

3. Nobody in my family works or is effected by the automotive companies.(no im not a movie star)

So I ask you again, why buy a Ford? why buy an american car?

------------------------things i have heard-----------------------------------------------------------

*Why am I good enough to buy a Ford but not good enough to build a Ford?

*Ford lays off 30,000 Employees, do you think those 30,000 will buy Fords?

*I once asked this Indian guy I once worked with why he drove a Honda, He told me his brothers friend worked for a company that was engineering parts to break after time on american cars, yes this might be a rumor, but it reflects the reasons why all the H1B people donot drive american.

Buy a Ford because it is a great product at a good price.

1. Fusion is rated above Camry and Accord in several areas (see comercial).

2. The new Taurus is rated #1 in safety, more room, available AWD, all at a great price.

3. Mustang is the most fun you can have for around $25K. The ORIGINAL sports car.

4. F150 is the toughest truck you can buy period.

5. The Edge stands out it an every more crowed cross over market. Definately worth a test drive.

etc.

Not to hard.

Edited by Tico

If both my cars got totaled tomorrow I would buy the same two cars because:

1. The new Taurus has a better crash rating than Impala, is bigger than any of the competition. With the new engine coming in '08 my only complaint about the car is resolved. Better looks would be nice but this car is my "daily runner" and I have the Mustang for looks.

2. The Mustang has no competition right now. The new Camaro and that thing from MOPAR will likely cost a lot more. Mustang is good cheap old school fun. Keep it that way. If you want IRS etc. put that in some higher priced version of the mustang between the GT and the Cobra.