SVT

Ford-150

I had a '92. Best driving car ever. Mine was the 5.0 XR-7

I think the supercoupe interior + power and torque of the SC 3.8 made it much better than any other cougar produced, save for the first gen... REALLY sucked when it was time to change the head gasket though :banghead:

Offtopic, but I used to have a red 90 XR7 just like that one, god I miss that car :(

One of my guilty automotive fantasies is what a great lead-sled hotrod that generation of Cougar would make. Dropped, chopped, channeled, shaved, black with a flame paintjob, maybe side-pipes........... :closedeyes:

Grand Turismo Omologato (Grand Touring Homologated)

Garbage Truck Option

Go To Oldsmobile

Gets Towed Often

442 - 1964 330 c.i - 4 barrel 4 Speed Dual Exhaust

1965 400 c.i. - 400 4 barrel Dual Exhaust

GTO only means Gran Turismo Omologato, in Ferrari parlance. When Pontiac, John Delorean, used it, it didn't mean anything but GTO. Just like when GM called cars GTU, GTZ, etc.

442 was originally an option package available on 4 DOOR Olds F85 sedans, particularly police cars. I have an original '64 ad that shows an F85 cop car, with the 4-4-2 description.

GTO only means Gran Turismo Omologato, in Ferrari parlance. When Pontiac, John Delorean, used it, it didn't mean anything but GTO. Just like when GM called cars GTU, GTZ, etc.

442 was originally an option package available on 4 DOOR Olds F85 sedans, particularly police cars. I have an original '64 ad that shows an F85 cop car, with the 4-4-2 description.

I had a '69 442 when I went to college in '79. It was a 400, 4 speed, posi hardtop. I still miss that car. Of course back then you could still buy a fairly clean 10 y.o. muscle car for $1,400 and leaded premium was .89 a gallon.

I remember the ad you referenced. It was a black and white illustration with two cops in the car. I have never seen a 4 door 442 but a guy in Pittsburgh has a red '70 Cutlass wagon with the 455, ram air hood, Super Stock wheels, buckets and console. It was some sort of special order deal.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

I tend to agree. I think you'll see Ford keep the 'SVT' around for a representation of something special, but not with the same elaborate operations as during the 90s. I also will not be surprised to see Chrysler's SRT to be trimmed significantly. The focus is on mainstream cars and optional performance packaging on those models rather than labels. Fusion needs the 3.5L V6 but I'd be surprised to see it ever labeled as 'SVT'.

There's probably a dwindling market for 500 horsepower trucks and sport coupes and Ford probably just doesn't see a need to plaster 'SVT' badges on something just for the sake of calling it that. I'd rather see a Mustang GT offered with a higher performance engine/suspension package rather than it called a specific name and that performance package be standard. I think dealers tend to take advantage of situations where they have model like a Cobra or Shelby that people covet in part, to the mystique of owning it. If you could order the Shelby suspension and the 5.4 engine as a package on a GT, I bet you'd see fewer markups.

With trucks, I think you're seeing a ceiling for desired horsepower right now. With handling for these trucks already respectable, all you need is to check the optional V8 engine box and get it in a sport package to satisfy most buyers.

Development on the GT500 was done years ago when there was an SVT.

Ford is sruggling to survive, they aren't going to waste money on SVT.

Oh I forgot aboutthe big "SVT" news conference at NY.. :lol:

SVT did development on the GT-500KR also, and that isn't even out yet! At least they announced THAT at NY.

Maybe I'm just praying SVT holds on so people actually remember what the freakin badge on the back of my Cobra means. Stoopit Ford. :finger: Maybe I should remove the Blue Ovals while I'm at it. The rate they are going, no one will remember what that means in another 10 years either.

Edited by NickF1011

SVT certainly does exist, and it appears it will be getting back to its tried and true formula of a truck and a Mustang.

I have absolutely no problem with a 2-vehicle SVT lineup. However, if they're going to do that, the products must be good, and updated often. An SVT vehicle should not be sold for more than 2 years unchanged. They don't need to be particularly affordable, either. An SVT Mustang should run between $40,000 and $50,000 with options, with the same going for the SVT F-150.

Here's the key with this plan. Ford MUST offer performance versions of other models as well, just not badged as SVTs. They should be using trickle-down technology. For example, a Mach 1 Mustang could be using the 03-04 SC V8 from the Cobra. They could get really stupid, and throw the same motor in the Ranger. Throw on bigger brakes, an aero-kit, and you're set. Easy, cheap mods that dealers can offer in their showrooms.

SVT certainly does exist, and it appears it will be getting back to its tried and true formula of a truck and a Mustang.

I have absolutely no problem with a 2-vehicle SVT lineup. However, if they're going to do that, the products must be good, and updated often. An SVT vehicle should not be sold for more than 2 years unchanged. They don't need to be particularly affordable, either. An SVT Mustang should run between $40,000 and $50,000 with options, with the same going for the SVT F-150.

Here's the key with this plan. Ford MUST offer performance versions of other models as well, just not badged as SVTs. They should be using trickle-down technology. For example, a Mach 1 Mustang could be using the 03-04 SC V8 from the Cobra. They could get really stupid, and throw the same motor in the Ranger. Throw on bigger brakes, an aero-kit, and you're set. Easy, cheap mods that dealers can offer in their showrooms.

$50,000 is a hell of a lot of money for a mustang...

• 1 month later...

I aggree on the 50 large, its a Mustang............ Mustangs are not worth 50 large.

Until they come to us with tubular frames and tuned suspension, I dont care how many horses you put under the hood, its not worth 50 large.

In my opinon, its sad that SVT got hoored out to Shelby, as we all know the name is whats marked them up. 40 large for vert with the shelbly stuff maybe.

My 50 large goes to the dark side, where you are truly paying for true engineering in the form of the C7.

Sorry SVT/Shelby......... from now on my performance bucks goe tot he dark side.

I aggree on the 50 large, its a Mustang............ Mustangs are not worth 50 large.

Until they come to us with tubular frames and tuned suspension, I dont care how many horses you put under the hood, its not worth 50 large.

In my opinon, its sad that SVT got hoored out to Shelby, as we all know the name is whats marked them up. 40 large for vert with the shelbly stuff maybe.

My 50 large goes to the dark side, where you are truly paying for true engineering in the form of the C7.

Sorry SVT/Shelby......... from now on my performance bucks goe tot he dark side.

Ford sells a Mustang with a tuned suspension and integrated rollcage. It's called the FR500C. It also costs over $100,000 for starters. I'm sorry, but it's not 1985 anymore. Performance is going to cost you.

C7? Do you mean C6? Sure, you could pay $50K for a base C6, but then you "just" have a C6 which another 40,000 or so people this year are going to have also. There's the exclusivity thing again.

• 7 months later...