Mercury Fade Out?

FordBuyer

I know Borg the poster has said Ford will be phasing out Mercury. I have not heard any official word about that and Mark Fields at first turnaround meeting televised said that Mercury offered Ford value and would stay. But everyday evidence seems to tell different story. Monterey minivan gone and no Sable X even though Taurus has one. And no announcements about any new Mercury products. I would say that if Ford announces no new Mercury products withing year and that includes any products from Europe, evidence points to slow fade out as present products age. That would be sad and I would certainly miss the Mercury brand just as I miss the Oldsmobie brand. Don't miss the Plymouth brand :boring:

I don't know, if the rumors around adding the 3.5 to the Milan for 08 are to be believed, it would see kind of anti productive to shore up a model you are trying to phase out. I'll believe Merc is dead when I hear something more official than an off hand post on a forum.

there is very little indication of the future of Mercury.

Borg's statement was a skeptical speculation - at this point Ford has not given us anything to work with about Mercury's future, besides what it is now: a slightly nicer set of Fords to attract people not traditionally attracted to Fords.

At this point this is working OK ... the buyers for Mercury and Ford are quite different .. Mercury has more educated, more wealthy, metropolitan and racially diverse customers than Ford. However, this model is not selling at good enough volume.

Also, you point is a valid one .. besides restyled Sable and Mariner, we have not herd of any new Mercury product, and most of the new hot product for Ford and Lincoln does not have a Mercury Version (Edge, Flex).

To add even more fuel to the fire, Blue II an insider hinted that there will be no further D3 development (Sable) past 2010 when the all new generation of D3 debuts at Ford.

So the outlooks seems grim, but it is possible Ford ahs some secret Ace up their sleeve and will take us by surprise .. we shall see.

One indication of the future might be the fact that apparently the 2008 Milan will have the D35 available as an option, while Fusion will not - Ford could do this easy differentiation - keep the current stylistic difference and simply offer one-up in the engine / transmission offerings with appropriate price hike. However - the first bird does not make summer - so we will have to wait and see on that one.

Igor

The only way Mercury can go away is to bring Lincoln further down market, abandon it too, or give L/M dealers Mazda in it's place.

A Mercury sale is a sale for Ford, eliminate Mercury and there is no saying that buyer would buy the comparable Ford product. (The Milan and Mariner are good examples, the Milan is a nice balance to the Fusion if you ask me, if the Fusion is too out there [with it's chrome grill etc] the Milan is a restrained alternative and the Mariner is a great option for someone who might think the Escape is too common).

I guess the only rational question is, does the limited number of sales Mercury generates justify the extra money spent to "re-engineer" Ford products? I would think not.

I think Ford would be better off selling Mazda's and Volvo's at Lincoln dealerships, and dropping Mercury. If not, at least give Mercury some unique products, maybe from Europe, but drop the badge-engineering.

Right now the badge-engineering DOES justify Mercury's existence though. If Ford can build 140,000 Mustangs a year on its own unique platform and make money on it, how could they NOT be making money selling 40,000 or so of a vehicle whose only unique characteristics are a few pieces of sheet metal, badges, lights, and bumper covers? I really doubt we'll see any truly unique Mercury products until 1. Ford gets out of its financial crisis mode, and 2. Lincoln finishes revitalizing its lineup. It appears from the new people-mover that Lincoln is at least going to start receiving substantially revised versions of Ford products. I don't think we can really expect Mercury to get anything more than rebadges until at least higher-profit margin Lincoln is rid of all their obvious rebadges.

Right now the badge-engineering DOES justify Mercury's existence though. If Ford can build 140,000 Mustangs a year on its own unique platform and make money on it, how could they NOT be making money selling 40,000 or so of a vehicle whose only unique characteristics are a few pieces of sheet metal, badges, lights, and bumper covers? I really doubt we'll see any truly unique Mercury products until 1. Ford gets out of its financial crisis mode, and 2. Lincoln finishes revitalizing its lineup. It appears from the new people-mover that Lincoln is at least going to start receiving substantially revised versions of Ford products. I don't think we can really expect Mercury to get anything more than rebadges until at least higher-profit margin Lincoln is rid of all their obvious rebadges.

Exactly. Anyone see this over the weekend: Mercury's mysterious appeal to women can't be denied

Edited by Len_A

Exactly. Anyone see this over the weekend: <a href="http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070520/AUTO03/705200355/1149" target="_blank">Mercury's mysterious appeal to women can't be denied

</a>

Hey, if chicks dig Mercury's, I'm sure as hell glad I bought one! :shades:

Thing is, I've never thought of Mercury as a "single-sex" marque at all. My Dad's owned several Mercury's and I've always considered having one as a benchmark in life. As my Dad said when I stopped by his house with my new Milan: "Wow... I didn't get my first Mercury until I was 45!" (I'm 32.)

Sophisticated styling should not be confused with femininity. If that were the case, every guy who bought a Lexus could have his sexuality called into question.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor is that MErcury will get a version of the next Ford Mustang called the Cougar. One rumor is that it will be retro, but I hope that only the Mustang stays retro while the Cougar is modern. This way you can please both worlds. Besides I'd worry more about Lincoln being sold or killed off not Mercury. After all Lincoln does not have any new rear wheel drive cars in its line up, the Town Car is just about 28 years old now on the panther platform.

Besides I'd worry more about Lincoln being sold or killed off not Mercury. After all Lincoln does not have any new rear wheel drive cars in its line up, the Town Car is just about 28 years old now on the panther platform.

Lincoln definately isn't going anywhere. They are at least getting confirmed new product, unlike Mercury.

I don't believe that Mercury cost Ford much. Most of the dealers are combined Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, the cars roll off the same assembly line as Ford. Look at the Camry and Accord, they try to be everything to everyone, and have a very bland style as a result. If the bold Gillette grill is too much for you, you can get the more conservatively styled Mercury. I currently have a 2000 Sable Wagon, because I liked the styling of the Mercury over the Ford for that year, and currently I have a factory order in for a Taurus X, because I like the grill. I would actually like to see a Mercury Sable X because I know the Ford styling can be a little over the top for some. Choice is always good, and losing a Ford sale to Mercury is a win/win situation for Ford and the dealers.

But everyday evidence seems to tell different story. Monterey minivan gone and no Sable X even though Taurus has one. And no announcements about any new Mercury products.

Why would there be a Sable X if there was no Mercury Freestyle??

However, the entire car used to be rumored to be for the Mercury brand - who remembers the Meta One ?

Why would there be a Sable X if there was no Mercury Freestyle??

However, the entire car used to be rumored to be for the Mercury brand - who remembers the Meta One ?

The Meta One concept was a year after the Ford Crosstrainer concept, which became the Freestyle. The Meta One looked the best out of any D3 though.

1967MercBrougham.jpg

Ironic how the message has made a 180. I, for one, think of James Dean when I think Mercury. It's a classy change from the ordinary.

I wish Mercury would go back to this more masculine campaign, but the thing that's constantly hampered Mercury's image is the damn Grand Marquis. As long as that's on their lots, the perception is that Mercury is an old fart brand.

The Marauder marketing campaign was more what I associate with Mercury. REBEL.