where is the 08 focus??

Biker16

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again.. AutoExpress is full of bull .. the RS was not canned .. insider source is adamant about this - he is working directly on the car.

Igor

One potential RS customer, who had placed a deposit for the car at his local dealership, said: "I'd handed over the cash 18 months ago, not wanting to miss out. But I was told staff had to return it, as the project has been abandoned on environmental grounds."

Unless that is an outright fabrication, I think the program is in serious jeopardy. It may not be called 'RS', it may not be AWD, it may not be a lot of things. Whatever it is, enough has changed to force a conscientious dealer to either return the deposit furnished, or it has caused Ford to issue a general directive resulting in a return of deposits.

Insider blah blah blah I take with a grain of salt. This piece of news, however, convinced me that something is up. What is to be gained from anyone, by fabricating a story like this? Why would a guy lie about a dealer refunding a deposit? Why would a dealer refund a deposit? Why would Autocar fabricate something so trivial on its face--

YES - AutoExpress is a Tabloid .. and we very well know they make things up ... also when was the last time you trusted a dealership with information about upcoming product?

I do not know what happened to the person and the dealer ..

start reading from this page on http://www.fordeurope.net/forum/viewtopic....c&start=250

You can read m-sport's posts on the earlier posts - he knows the car .. he is designing it .. he knows.

Igor

"also when was the last time you trusted a dealership with information about upcoming product? "

When they RETURNED MONEY TO A CUSTOMER!!!!!

ROFL ...

Chevy dealers returned money to customers because GM corporate told then NOT to take deposits on the Camaro in 2006 ... This might be similar .. but might be different ..

I will trust the guy on fordeurope anytime over autoexpress .. unless AutoBild. AutoMotorUndSport or some other trustworthy car magazine independently reports on this - it is a load of crock.

Igor

ROFL ...

Exactly that is such a singular occurrence, that there must be *something* behind it.

It may be that the program is under review at a higher level, and your M-Sport buddy is not aware of this....

If Ford dealers were instructed by the factory to return deposits, I think that would've been made clear to customers.

Don't know if you missed the press release a couple of weeks ago, but Volvo said they will not be making any further R models in the foreseeable future.

Yes I know the R line has been discontinued for the time being. But.

Volvo engineers are working with Team RS in Germany, developing the Focus RS, because they will be using the same setup for their C30-R AWD. Of course all things planned can go up in smoke, depending on consumer demand etc.

Edited by MKII

You can't get Mazda 3 with AWD.

That's right, I just checked and it's FWD only.

They go hard anyway and absolutely kill the turbo Focus!

You can see with a simple power up the thing is in the 13s for the 1/4 mile, nothing to sneeze at.

To the whole "Ford spent more on C170 than it would cost to bring over C1" argument:

There is one huge cost that Ford was able to avoid: Retooling, both for Ford itself and its suppliers. There have been minor changes to the suspension on the '08 Focus, and of course all the stamping has changed.

However, Ford has not had to pay to setup a C1 infrastructure here.

That being said, I consider it to be a foolish kind of economy. Ford should've spent the money for a C1 infrastructure in the U.S.

But the reason for that is not because it would be less expensive in the short term. The '08 Focus is certainly less expensive short term than retooling to mfr a substantially different car (which unfortunately does not look substantially different, more's the pity).

I don't see anything wrong with 630land posting, he never said anything about the current Focus was "fine" , unlike some people here who think that the C1 would solve everything that woes Ford, which is farther from the truth. Just because he doesn't agree with what your vision of what Ford should do, doesn't make him wrong.

Yes it does, everything he said sounded like it came straight from the mouth of the bean counter pr department, and it doesn't just have to do with the Focus, it has to do with Ford's entire line-up, the "good enough" crap led Ford to the brink, you don't seem to understand this either so I'm not surprised you agree with him. Thank God for Mulally, mediocrity is over, which should upset the "good enough" crowd..

Always assumptions. Ford basically changed zero hard points on the '08 Focus and there were no powertrain changes whatsoever. There's no way it was an expensive refresh. No expenses involved in certifying engines for emissions and they probably didn't even need to do extensive crash testing.

C1 was already designed/engineered, etc..

It's incredible how little people knowe about this business on a board like this, it's getting ridiculous..

Not singling you out though, just everybody in general, out doing the Korean's didn't work for ford, it was a total failure, yet most people here think buildingthe cheapest, ugliest shit cars that nobody wants is a good business plan.. :gang:

Yeah. Yourself included. Biggest cost in a new platform launch is tooling, NOT engineering.

Ford (unwisely) saved money by keeping C170 in the U.S.

To re-design the 05, and then the 08, cost Ford more than it would have to give us the C1 from Europe, a car world's better, according to an article posted on Focaljet a few months ago. Now you can either say they were lying or they were wrong, but I believe that article over the mediocistas anyday..

If Ford had listened to the wine tasting crowd, they'd still have the best compact car in the US by a huge margin. They listened to you guys and they are in the shitter. Case closed.

To re-design the 05, and then the 08, cost Ford more than it would have to give us the C1 from Europe, a car world's better, according to an article posted on Focaljet a few months ago. Now you can either say they were lying or they were wrong, but I believe that article over the mediocistas anyday..

If Ford had listened to the wine tasting crowd, they'd still have the best compact car in the US by a huge margin. They listened to you guys and they are in the shitter. Case closed.

They'd have the best compact by a wide margin?? How is that even possible with the mechanically IDENTICAL S40 and Mazda 3 being sold here??

They'd have the best compact by a wide margin?? How is that even possible with the mechanically IDENTICAL S40 and Mazda 3 being sold here??

The Volvo S40 T5 is identical to the Focus ST they sell in Europe. Are Americans more likely to drop 30 large on a Focus or a Volvo? Especially when the cheaper Mazdaspeed3 is FASTER?