where is the 08 focus??

Biker16

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford has lost Billions in NA for years - i.e. their average vehicle loses money. Ford makes more money than average on it's trucks, and makes less than average on its small cars. Focus is a small car. Therefore Focus must loseprobably loses a fair bit of money for Ford North America.

Fixed that for you. Don't assert an assumption as fact -- I suspect the same thing, but have no solid evidence.

I am curious how this will sell. It is certainly NOT a car that I would ever want to own, but then I am not at all the target audience, so I'm not predicting anything. As a dealer, what's your basis for predicting success?

What? your going to tell me a corolla is better looking! hahahahahahahaha thats a joke!

I don't think it's good looking or really ugly, I see it as a bland appliance.

Ford has finally decided to do what toyota has been doing for a number of years now. Build a reliable car that's made to go from point A to point B. Bland, boring, it doesn't matter, the people who will buy these are not the "car guys" who want power or looks. The people to buy these, the "target market" are the non auto people. The bartender or school teacher or secretary who will want a reliable appliance they can buy cheap, get good milage and when it breaks throw away and get another. And they will NOT buy another because this one went 400,000km's and was reliable, they will buy whatever is cheapest next time. If it's close in price between their reliable focus and something else they might consider it. But with non automotive people, they ARE NOT LOYAL!!

I think this will sell well to "appliance people". I just hope it is very reliable.

That being said...the car guys will either move up (or out) to something else or mod this thing anyway.

When chev said "they have X HP" ford said "oh yeah we got Y HP" Or when one said "we get X amount of MPG" the other said "we get Y" Or "ours is this safe" "well ours is THIS safe".

The new game in town started by the japanese companies is "we are this reliable", now it's our turn to say "we are THIS reliable".

New fight, I think we'll do OK.

Our reliable appliance is the first salvo...

wow, like the poster on the 4wheelsblog said, I'm ashamed to drive anything with the Focus name on it now.

We go from the pinnacle of Focus design with the SVTF (RS/ST if in Europe) to this. I would be utterly embarrassed to be the person who signed off on this design.

I'm afraid if my car sees one of these on the road, it may steer for the nearest pole to put itself out of its misery....or at least cause the nameplates to suddenly fall off.

what do you drive?

I don't think it's good looking or really ugly, I see it as a bland appliance.

Ford has finally decided to do what toyota has been doing for a number of years now. Build a reliable car that's made to go from point A to point B. Bland, boring, it doesn't matter, the people who will buy these are not the "car guys" who want power or looks. The people to buy these, the "target market" are the non auto people. The bartender or school teacher or secretary who will want a reliable appliance they can buy cheap, get good milage and when it breaks throw away and get another. And they will NOT buy another because this one went 400,000km's and was reliable, they will buy whatever is cheapest next time. If it's close in price between their reliable focus and something else they might consider it. But with non automotive people, they ARE NOT LOYAL!!

I think this will sell well to "appliance people". I just hope it is very reliable.

That being said...the car guys will either move up (or out) to something else or mod this thing anyway.

When chev said "they have X HP" ford said "oh yeah we got Y HP" Or when one said "we get X amount of MPG" the other said "we get Y" Or "ours is this safe" "well ours is THIS safe".

The new game in town started by the japanese companies is "we are this reliable", now it's our turn to say "we are THIS reliable".

New fight, I think we'll do OK.

Our reliable appliance is the first salvo...

great point.

Compared to Cobalt, Focus is still better. No, they have not invented a time machine to bring the C1 to Wayne County for 2005, so move on. The 08 sedan looks updated and not as 'horrid' as some think, and these 'critics' end up getting used Civics, anyway.

One last thing I have to say...with all the pundits around here...I'd say for the most part people get things wrong around here...

People said that the following would bomb:

Zephyr/MKX

Edge

Fusion

As for the only thing they got right...that was the 500, but that will be fixed this summer

The only proof that matters is the sales numbers (if they go up) and we'll see what happens...

Anyways I've heard that Ford has done some changes to the bumper on the Focus and is fixing the fog lights on the car...I think if thats done the car should look pretty decent.

As for the Focus fans, you sure do bitch and wine about the car, but yet the only reason many of you are in one is because its cheap and you got 0% finaning on it. Its a starter car/commuter car...don't make it out to be something its not. I'd laugh if Ford pulled the name in 2011 with the next gen, just to watch you all bitch and wine about it..

Compared to the vehicle the Fusion helped replaced, it has bombed, no matter what Ford's supposed internal sales targets are supposed to have been.

What the Taurus? So we are going to play this game huh?

:beatdeadhorse:

Plus this saves me the time:

08FiveHundred_12.jpg

Theres your Taurus

Edited by silvrsvt

The Taurus wasn't fleet queen when it debuted back in '87/'88, and it sold so well it needed two assembly plants. We've had this discussion before. You guys lost.

Oh and what where the sales of the Camry and Accord 20 years ago?

I found numbers for the 1990 model Camry

Consumer Guide noted the new Kentucky plant "is now at capacity, producing 200,000 Camry sedans per year for sale in the U.S." Camry sales, which had been rising all along, hit a new peak at just under 284,600.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/toyota-camry2.htm

Edited by silvrsvt

The Taurus wasn't fleet queen when it debuted back in '87/'88, and it sold so well it needed two assembly plants. We've had this discussion before. You guys lost.

Expecting the Fusion to instantly obtain the volume and market share of a 20 year old product would not only be ridiculously optimistic, but completely impossible. I suppose the new Mustang is a failure also since it didn't sell 400,000 units in its first year. After all, that's what it did in 1965.

Reaction to the new Focus from many confirms what chief designer (Lon Zaback stated below in the Ford media release) regarding Tension. :wacko:

from article- Having surface areas break sharply in places gives the car a sense of forward motion,” says Zaback. “A lot of cars today use forms and lines that are parallel and predictable. If you look at Focus, you will see one sweep going through the hood and headlamps, and a different sweep going through the fascia. This creates movement, "TENSION" and drama.”

No doubt the dynamics will be per usual Focus which are excellent, (I have 2 Focus vehicles) and according to the media release, the dynamics should be better. But with all those sweeping lines not connecting or "not parallel & predictable" I can safely say I would not be shopping this very OUT of SYNC Focus.

Edited by MKII

One last thing I have to say...with all the pundits around here...I'd say for the most part people get things wrong around here...

People said that the following would bomb:

Zephyr/MKX

Edge

Fusion

As for the only thing they got right...that was the 500, but that will be fixed this summer

The only proof that matters is the sales numbers (if they go up) and we'll see what happens...

Anyways I've heard that Ford has done some changes to the bumper on the Focus and is fixing the fog lights on the car...I think if thats done the car should look pretty decent.

As for the Focus fans, you sure do bitch and wine about the car, but yet the only reason many of you are in one is because its cheap and you got 0% finaning on it. Its a starter car/commuter car...don't make it out to be something its not. I'd laugh if Ford pulled the name in 2011 with the next gen, just to watch you all bitch and wine about it..

Exactly, you're a cheerleader for whatever stupid shit Ford does, and your track record around here isn't very good.

If they do what you think they should do, the entire company will be gone, ad then I guess the joke will be on you .. :nonono:

You wouldn't give a shit though, you'd just go buy a Toyota..

Hoo, boy...the spin cycle's well underway!

Let's review:

The Taurus debuts for '86. Its primary competition comes from GM goon-mobiles like the Cutlass Ciera and the Chevy Celebrity and/or boredom mobiles like the Plymouth Acclaim. The Camry is the size of today's Accord, and Honda was still resistant to any engine with more than 4 cylinders.

To remind those clinging to denial: the current top-line Camry and Altima have power beyond that of an 80's CORVETTE. Somehow, sparkies, that sure seems like a different market with different rules!

Pioneer (or whiner, as he's granted me permission to call him) will hate out on the Fusion until it's either built stateside or until...well, I don't believe there IS another way he'll back off of the car!

He's made up his mind, and no amount of legitimate fact will deter him from his spittle-fest!

For those of us that remember the YEARS with no real contender in the sedan segment and how car magazines would barely test Fords because nothing ever really changed...the Fusion represents the first real proof that Ford learned from the many mistakes of the company's recent past.

I see them everywhere now, especially in the neighborhood I work in...Milans, too...cars owned by middle-class Americans getting them through the running around in their daily lives.

Model Ts did that. So did Fairlanes, Torinos, Taurii, LTDs, Fairmonts, and others...and the Fusion is settling into the driveways of America despite a much more hostile environment.

That was 20 Fricking years ago! Why not whine about how the CV is not selling as it did back then, The world is a different place!! Just like the whiners who cry why MTV doesn't show videos and why are the Big 3 networks not 90% of the ratings, things have changed. This isn't the "Pioneer Days".

Back on topic, any luck Ford will keep the ZX3 and 5???

Edited by 630land

Reaction to the new Focus from many confirms what chief designer (Lon Zaback stated below in the Ford media release) regarding Tension. :wacko:

from article- Having surface areas break sharply in places gives the car a sense of forward motion,” says Zaback. “A lot of cars today use forms and lines that are parallel and predictable. If you look at Focus, you will see one sweep going through the hood and headlamps, and a different sweep going through the fascia. This creates movement, "TENSION" and drama.”

No doubt the dynamics will be per usual Focus which are excellent, (I have 2 Focus vehicles) and according to the media release, the dynamics should be better. But with all those sweeping lines not connecting or "not parallel & predictable" I can safely say I would not be shopping this very OUT of SYNC Focus.

bitches! :kissass:

Yep. The good 'ole days, when American car manufacturers built a product consumers wanted, instead of telling them what they needed.

It was more that Americans didn't have a choice when it came to picking a car. You had the Big 3 all pumping out equally craptacular cars. Consumers picked the lesser of the evils, which was the Taurus at the time. It was far from a GREAT product...it was just the least shitty.

Do you say the same about the Model T, or the Mustang of the 60's? Sounds to me like you, and everybody else, bash the 80's Taurus because it stands for everything good that this company is capable of, has done, and could accomplish again.

No, I just bash pretty much everything produced by anybody between 1975 and 1990, because frankly, 99% of it is crap. While technically superior to cars of previous eras, they failed to meet the expectations of customers more often than vehicles in most other eras, including the Model T and 60's Mustang. Those vehicles were worse technically, but they did a better job of meeting customer expectations than most of the monstrosities laid upon our roads in the 70's and 80's. Of course Ford is capable of producing another 1986 Taurus. Every automaker is. It's a piece of crap vehicle compared to even the worst car sold in the US today. Times have changed. The Taurus was "good" at the time, but at that time, "good" was a very low bar to meet. What was good in 1986 would be abyssmal today.

Times have changed. The Taurus was "good" at the time, but at that time, "good" was a very low bar to meet. What was good in 1986 would be abyssmal today.

I don't think the bar or FoA core consumers expectations have been upped too much, hence FoA still pumping out "OK" vehicles, with "OK" sales.

What's that old saying "you get back what you put out".

For FoA sake too many consumers expectations have risen in regards to what a well built and desirable vehicle is, hence the lack of interest to FoA products.

With FoA deciding to use this 2008 redesigned Focus as a gap filler for 2 years, when the supposedly C2 Focus will appear in North America, does not instill much confidence that FoA is doing much different, then what they have been doing. Just the same ole story, using some time line excuses.

Edited by MKII