where is the 08 focus??

Biker16

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Job1 is supposed to be end of August. However, it SHOULD have been out by now.. maybe not due. Ford needs a better Focus yesterday.

Of note, I saw that they will be offering 4-wheel disc ABS. Now if they can just make sure that the massive silver stack doesn't look too much like Tyco toy plastics.

Edited by focus05

I cant believe they are actually going through with this. IMO they would have been better off updating the interior of the current line than doing this. I cant remember ever seeing a more vanilla new vehicle.

Maybe its just me, but does anyone out there really like this??

I cant believe they are actually going through with this. IMO they would have been better off updating the interior of the current line than doing this. I cant remember ever seeing a more vanilla new vehicle.

Maybe its just me, but does anyone out there really like this??

nope...but once again the car is spotted in a non-descript white color like the Flex was we were all bitchin about...I tried pasting a Mercury Mystique shot to no avail...damn near a dead ringer!

Y'know...it's so sad to see so many miss the point.

What's the best-selling compact car in the world...in all history?

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

The TOYOTA COROLLA.

Now...stay with me, here...the Corolla is the blandest, most boring-driving, utilitarian automotive appliance e'er conceived. Aside from genuinely impressive fuel mileage, it's so middle of the road it gets mistaken for stripes.

Now, I know that when Ford failed to bring us the C1 (well, y'know, a THIRD variant), the Earth's orbit was knocked askew, the West Coast broke off and the rest of the US sunk, and all puppies and kittens instantly contracted cancer...but the old Focus remained a great driver in its class, and the new styling is just bland enough that maybe some Corolla buyers will find the Focus attractive (by their standards).

The interior is miles better, and I find it odd how many opinions are chiseled in stone before the first road test is published.

I'm not expecting miracles, I'm not even expecting something to join the Civic/3 standoff...but I'm not writing off a car with so little known about it....

Y'know...it's so sad to see so many miss the point.

What's the best-selling compact car in the world...in all history?

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

The TOYOTA COROLLA.

Now...stay with me, here...the Corolla is the blandest, most boring-driving, utilitarian automotive appliance e'er conceived. Aside from genuinely impressive fuel mileage, it's so middle of the road it gets mistaken for stripes.

Now, I know that when Ford failed to bring us the C1 (well, y'know, a THIRD variant), the Earth's orbit was knocked askew, the West Coast broke off and the rest of the US sunk, and all puppies and kittens instantly contracted cancer...but the old Focus remained a great driver in its class, and the new styling is just bland enough that maybe some Corolla buyers will find the Focus attractive (by their standards).

The interior is miles better, and I find it odd how many opinions are chiseled in stone before the first road test is published.

I'm not expecting miracles, I'm not even expecting something to join the Civic/3 standoff...but I'm not writing off a car with so little known about it....

sorry Zan...half ass styling effort is giving it WAY too much credit........

I like the rear view, but the front-end is a farce. There is no design cohesion from front to back. The front fender looks terrible in profile and I invite you to view my gallery bellow for the Focus shots. It evokes the Saturn Ion pretty heavily, VERY low rent and odd for the sake of being odd. I think Ford is dropping the MSRP on the Focus so the budget look might be part and parcel to the move farther down market. The Focus also sells at heavy discounts and to rental agencies. The design is perfunctory enough to suit that toss-away market.

Leave it to Ford to use the Ion as design inspiration, dear God!

Ford%20Focus%20_8_.JPG

Here are more close-ups

http://www.mikekukielka.com/gallery/v/Detr...007/?g2_page=22

Edited by BORG

Whatever, no matter what stylists did, people would find some car that it resembles and slam it. Anytime Ford has a new car, everyone looks for anything to pick on. "Leave it to Ford..." [Even with Stangs, there are many who have their narrow niche] Some want 'more classic, futuristic, boxy, round, whatever'...

Meanwhile, Asian cars keep selling more, and no one says a peep about their ''styling''. And no, styling isnt the 'be all end all' of the compact car market.

I remember all the guff about how "ugly' the 2000 was when new. Then "they got used to it".

The new sedan looks fine to me, some forget how the auto 'critics' hated the 2000 sedan and said 'ruined the Euro looks'. The 08 looks less 'bland'.

However, I do agree that the new 'ZX2' is not quite right. They should have not cancelled the zx3/5 bodies. Something I actaully agree on with "you know who16"

Edited by 630land

Whatever, no matter what stylists did, people would find some car that it resembles and slam it. Anytime Ford has a new car, everyone looks for anything to pick on. "Leave it to Ford..." [Even with Stangs, there are many who have their narrow niche] Some want 'more classic, futuristic, boxy, round, whatever'...

Meanwhile, Asian cars keep selling more, and no one says a peep about their ''styling''. And no, styling isnt the 'be all end all' of the compact car market.

I remember all the guff about how "ugly' the 2000 was when new. Then "they got used to it".

The new sedan looks fine to me, some forget how the auto 'critics' hated the 2000 sedan and said 'ruined the Euro looks'. The 08 looks less 'bland'.

However, I do agree that the new 'ZX2' is not quite right. They should have not cancelled the zx3/5 bodies. Something I actaully agree on with "you know who16"

at least it looks better in blue..........BUT!

If this had a Civic badge it would be the second friggin coming. You bashers will be cryin when this thing sells. I'm looking forward to the excuses......"Ford's givin it away", " there is some serious "A" Plan abuse going on", "people are just stupid'......bring it on........

Edited by campbell53

Saturn Ion

ION.jpg

Focus

070107_ford_focus_2008_hmed.hmedium.jpg

fmc_08focus_grille.jpg

Mercury Mystique

98_mercury_mystique_ls.jpg

I was prepared to like the design detail of the Focus when I saw it at the auto show. But not at all, it's a hideous in balance of random lines and shapes. It looks cheap, inside and out. Although funky, the Civic presents a much better quality image. The Focus wouldn't pass inspection by Daewoo, it's so chincy and disposable. The wacky design contributes to it's low quality appearance, thanks mostly to the nose which looks flimsy thanks to the mesh of grilles weakening the fascia.

Edited by BORG

If this had a Civic badge it would be the second friggin coming. You bashers will be cryin when this thing sells. I'm looking forward to the excuses......"Ford's givin it away", " there is some serious "A" Plan abuse going on", "people are just stupid'......bring it on........

I am curious how this will sell. It is certainly NOT a car that I would ever want to own, but then I am not at all the target audience, so I'm not predicting anything. As a dealer, what's your basis for predicting success?

The Focus is a severely tarnished product all around, and the update can't possibly change the negative perception of the product. It still looks like a Focus, but now it looks like they are desperate to freshen a turd.

Mind you, I like the Focus but the 2008 is not my cup of tea.

I have no doubt this will fail to register with the intended audience. The Focus has always trended older and an update like will make their older clientèle unhappy while still disinteresting young folk. It may sell better on the features in the cabin, depending on how affordable they can be had.

Edited by BORG

LOL, okay, you just go ahead believing that absolute complete Bull.....

Honda would have never destroyed all brand perception the civic has like ford has. Honda didn't leave the civic on the lot for 8 years and then won't even invest in a complete redesign like Ford has done with the focus. Ford has let the focus rot on the lot, doesn't matter how you want to spin it by saying it is still a good car or what not, sales have become a pathetic giant joke since it's hayday and even with the compact market expanding, public perception has labeled the focus as utter crap.

My biggest problem with the 08 Focus design, is the lower front fascia. I mean, here we have a car that uses crisp, sharp curves; from the door creases to the angry headlights to the front of the grille...

And then they graft the front of a 1981 Fairmont under the bumper. WTF!

So I finally attempted my first "serious" phtochop to address the issue. Yeah, late to the party and all that but still... I think if they had kept the curve theme in mind and left the legos at home, the might have pulled it off. I also tried to visually tie the foglights into the overall fender profil AND blend them with the upper grille opening under the 2-bar grille...

(as you can tell I am not a designer by day, so please overlack the fact I have no idea what the hell the "technical" terms are for all that crap)

I also narrowed the headlights to blend into the body lines better, without such a thick "branch" disruptively poking into the body

Mine:

070107_ford_focus_2008_hmed.hmediumGICedit.jpg

Ford:

070107_ford_focus_2008_hmed.hmedium.jpg

The difference is subtle but to me it works much better.