Ford expects rise in U.S. retail sales in May

Ford Motor Co. said it would see an increase in U.S. retail sales in May for the first time in six months, but overall sales were expected to decline as the automaker continued to cut low-margin sales to daily rental companies.

"We will be reporting an increase in retail sales this month," Ford chief sales analyst George Pipas told reporters on Tuesday evening, adding that crossover sport utility vehicles and cars were driving the improvement in showroom sales.

But a 20 percent reduction in sales to daily-rental companies would drag Ford's overall U.S. sales in May down for a "single-digit" percentage decline, Pipas said.

READ MORE HERE.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good to hear - Ford needs a decent year like GM had last year .... that could finally get Ford out of the media hot seat.

GM (well Lutz) seems to be itching to get back into it with their anti-MPG legislation and emissions legilastion statements ...

Igor

good to hear - Ford needs a decent year like GM had last year .... that could finally get Ford out of the media hot seat.

GM (well Lutz) seems to be itching to get back into it with their anti-MPG legislation and emissions legilastion statements ...

Igor

Looks like GM wer caught off guard by re focus on fuel economy. By comparison, Ford's FWD sedans are efficient enough to go with the changes while GM is heavily invested in Zeta and V8s.

I'm hoping in 2007 Q2 that globally Ford can carry the costs of NA restructuring and minimise the red ink this year. True Ford will burn through cash but if they can halt the slide, I see good things ahead in 2008.

I'll be intrested to see if last month's dip in Mustang sales was a one time glitch of if a trend is starting.

You see, I've got my eye on this really great patent that Ford Global Technology, LLC owns, and if they don't pay the mortgage, I get a chance to bid on it!!!

Sigh,

All repayments are covered.

We've been over this ground forever.

Escape sales up? But didn't the "experts" predict it would fail? Well, just shows that buyers do not care about 'all new greenhouses' and rear wheel disks. It looks different enough to be new to the "Jones" next door.

Can't wait for the real numbers. l am sure crow is to be served to the "know it alls".

Escape sales up? But didn't the "experts" predict it would fail? Well, just shows that buyers do not care about 'all new greenhouses' and rear wheel disks. It looks different enough to be new to the "Jones" next door.

Can't wait for the real numbers. l am sure crow is to be served to the "know it alls".

LOL... grasping at straws now are we?

Sales couldn't possibly have been any worse last year, of course they're up.

Ford claims sales are up, Honda claims best selling SUV in the nation, effectively becoming America's new Escape.

Eating crow? I don't think so. Those people correctly predicted such a trend long before it happened when they saw the attitude Ford was taking with the Escape, they also predicted the "new" Escape wouldn't reverse that trend (customers leaving the market leader for something better). Seems the market itself, not a Ford press release, is vindicating them. Sales are up over last year... and yet it's Honda the one increasing production and getting the glowing reviews.

But yeah, nice spin, I guess we can expect the same kind of crap when the Taurus debuts.

- "Hi, Ford here, Taurus managed to surpass the abysmal sales the 500 had last year"

- "OMG LOLOLOL CROW IS TO BE SERVED!111" :finger:

Edited by pcsario

Sales couldn't possibly be any worse last year,

Yes they could, which pretty much makes everything in your post after this comment just your own spin that you claim to be so cleverly exposing. Thanks for playing.

Edited by BlackHorse

No need to spin anything. CR-V took the #1 spot away from the Escape because Ford handed it to them on a silver platter.

Several people didn't agree with the way Ford handled the whole thing. The interior turned out better than expected but that's it.

Now, a FORD PRESS RELEASE comes out, saying the new Escape is attracting more people than a 6 year old Escape, and all of a sudden the people who called the present situation were wrong and things are different from what they said?

Uh-huh.

The Tazmanian devil here isn't me, that is plainly apparent.

Looks like GM wer caught off guard by re focus on fuel economy. By comparison, Ford's FWD sedans are efficient enough to go with the changes while GM is heavily invested in Zeta and V8s.

GM has the new epsillon and delta plaform on track, plus the fact that they are coming didn't stop them from investing in the new malibu and aura. I see no more investment from Ford in front wheel drive cars than I see from GM, but overall Ford has invested far less into products in this market than GM.

Ford claims sales are up, Honda claims best selling SUV in the nation, effectively becoming America's new Escape.

Eating crow? I don't think so. Those people correctly predicted such a trend long before it happened when they saw the attitude Ford was taking with the Escape, they also predicted the "new" Escape wouldn't reverse that trend (customers leaving the market leader for something better). Seems the market itself, not a Ford press release, is vindicating them. Sales are up over last year... and yet it's Honda the one increasing production and getting the glowing reviews.

But yeah, nice spin, I guess we can expect the same kind of crap when the Taurus debuts.

- "Hi, Ford here, Taurus managed to surpass the abysmal sales the 500 had last year"

Kansas City plant that builds the Escape/Mariner is working overtime trying to keep up with demand. In Metro Detroit at least, Ford dealers are going through their stock of new Escapes very quickly as you see quite a few on street already. Don't forget, Ford sells 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, and hybrid models. Most of the drivers driving these new Escapes seem to be young people. I know the Mariner is considered a chicks vehicle.

As for glowing reviews, reviews for new CRV are mixed at best. The styling is contraversial and find it unattracive if not downright weird. Only one engine choice...4 cylinder which is not much of choice. I would rate the Toyota RAV4 way higher than Honda's small ute. I'm sorry, but a 4 cylinder in small ute just doesn't get it done, especially with extra weight of 4wd. The Ford Escape still sells very well and 2008 will be better seller than 2007 which will put it right up there with best.

Pretty much sums it up, anyone who defends Ford and the atrocity that is the new escape does not want Ford to succeed, these atrocities put them in there current predicament, and anyone who defends these complete crap only defends Ford completely failing.

Oh yes lets congratulate Ford for putting out a pathetic uncompetitive piece of crap, a vehicle that is smaller and less power that gets pathetic gas mileage compared to the Rav4, a vehicle that has been on the market for 7 years and Ford still wouldn't invest in a complete redesign.

I mean, this is exactly why ford has become an absolute joke in the market place, falling sales of key vehicles, that are abandoned on the market, then after years of falling sales not even invest in a complete redesign, then with the half ass attempt they put into it, they manage to only delay the continue freefall and that delay of the continueing freefall gives the blind fanboys wearing the goggles the joy they needs to show how great ford is for putting out an uncompetitive vehicle.

Edited by DCK

Pretty much sums it up, anyone who defends Ford and the atrocity that is the new escape does not want Ford to succeed, these atrocities put them in there current predicament, and anyone who defends these complete crap only defends Ford completely failing.

Oh yes lets congratulate Ford for putting out a pathetic uncompetitive piece of crap, a vehicle that is smaller and less power that gets pathetic gas mileage compared to the Rav4, a vehicle that has been on the market for 7 years and Ford still wouldn't invest in a complete redesign.

I mean, this is exactly why ford has become an absolute joke in the market place, falling sales of key vehicles, that are abandoned on the market, then after years of falling sales not even invest in a complete redesign, then with the half ass attempt they put into it, they manage to only delay the continue freefall and that delay of the continueing freefall gives the blind fanboys wearing the goggles the joy they needs to show how great ford is for putting out an uncompetitive vehicle.

yeah its funny...ford builds a vehicle and it is too much the same as others...so people knock it....them they build a vehicle that stands out...and you say its not enough like the others...why don't you people make u your mind...its a matter of taste...you don't like it.....too bad....I think enough people will so get over it.

yeah its funny...ford builds a vehicle and it is too much the same as others...so people knock it....them they build a vehicle that stands out...and you say its not enough like the others...why don't you people make u your mind...its a matter of taste...you don't like it.....too bad....I think enough people will so get over it.

Stands out? What as Worst in Class? WTF are you talking about? Oh it stands out because it is smaller, has less power and gets a lot less gas mileage......good job Ford!!!! You Stood Out!!!!!!

As sales have been tanking the last couple years, I will predict this "new" :hysterical: 2008 Escape will at most only halt the sales decline for one year, because it is shit, and is worst in class.

No need to spin anything. CR-V took the #1 spot away from the Escape because Ford handed it to them on a silver platter.

Detail to note, the CRV took the best selling small SUV crown from the Jeep Liberty, not the Escape. The Liberty surpassed the Escape in 2005 then the CRV surpassed both in 2006.

As of April 2007 here are the standings:

Ford Escape April - 14,788 TYD - 54,105

Honda CRV April - 17,379 YTD - 64,951

Jeep Liberty April - 9,543

Toyota RAV4 April - 14,495

Just a detail.

Scott

As for glowing reviews, reviews for new CRV are mixed at best. The styling is contraversial and find it unattracive if not downright weird. Only one engine choice...4 cylinder which is not much of choice. I would rate the Toyota RAV4 way higher than Honda's small ute. I'm sorry, but a 4 cylinder in small ute just doesn't get it done, especially with extra weight of 4wd. The Ford Escape still sells very well and 2008 will be better seller than 2007 which will put it right up there with best.

I agree, the crv is not that attractive from the front, but has a nice profile. BUt even the escape looks like an older explorer, and they could have changed the rear more....

The crv 4 cyl is perfect comprimise of power and fuel economy. They sell not because of the looks, rather safety/reliability/resale value, all which the crv is leading. I'd like to see the escape at the top, but the crv has earned the #1 spot. I would buy the escape, but can't live with 17-18mpg

Ah the negatoids ..

Ford sold 16,699 Escapes last May .. that is hardly a position of "can't get any lower" - it was an increase of almost 20% from 2005.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23436

If you want to bash, get the facts straight ...

anyways ... I am interested to see the final numbers already ... then we can talk ... Escape like the Buick Lucerne and many others seems to be a surprise crowd favorite .. we might not be happy with it, but if the public buys it - the goal was met ..

We shall see tomorrow.

Igor

Edited by igor

The rav is also considerably more expensive.

Calling the old and new Escape "a pathetic piece of crap" really destroys your credibility on this board IMO. I assume you mean the new Hybrid Escape also. Now how you call an Escape that gets 30mpg and has decent power and zero emissions even in 4wd form below 30 mph a pathetic vehicle is beyond me and most on this board. Ford offers the Escape in FWD, AWD, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, and hybrid form. Its value priced in all its forms and has reliable, proven drivetrain even though I would agree Ford should have at least offered the 5 speed auto used in v6 Ranger. Its also quiet, has great ride, and looks more rugged inside and out for young people on the go. And don't forget Ford is working on a 6 speed auto for this vehicle along with the new F-150 and it will be out before this present form of Escape gets stale.