May 2007 Sales: Small CUVs

Model May - YTD

Quick note: it's nearly impossible to categorize "compact CUVs" so I've used only the smallest CUV from every brand, except for Honda which uses the CR-V chassis for two similar vehicles and Chrysler with the not-really "UVs" Compass & Patriot, so the Liberty gets thrown in.

Escape 18,953 - 73,058

Mariner 4,395 - 2,349

Compass 3,735 - 18,812

Patriot 4,504 - 10,336

Liberty 7,654 - 41,560

Equinox 6,594 - 36,603

Torrent 2,885 - 12,481

RAV4 16,547 - 72,447

Tucson 3,454 - 16,711

CR-V 19,513 - 84,464

Element 3,187 - 16,728

Sportage 4,678 - 20,088

Forester 3,871 - ???

Grand Vitara 1,949 - 8,745

Tribute 1,119 - 3,575

I'm not really a fan of the 2008 Escape, but it's hard to argue with the numbers: second in single-model sales only to the CR-V (selling more than the vaunted RAV4). Plus, Ford is the largest manufacturer in this segment - 23,348 (Escape & Mariner) vs. 22,700 (CR-V & Element), and that's not including the platform-mate Tribute.

Scott

Model May - YTD

Quick note: it's nearly impossible to categorize "compact CUVs" so I've used only the smallest CUV from every brand, except for Honda which uses the CR-V chassis for two similar vehicles and Chrysler with the not-really "UVs" Compass & Patriot, so the Liberty gets thrown in.

Escape 18,953 - 73,058

Mariner 4,395 - 2,349

Compass 3,735 - 18,812

Patriot 4,504 - 10,336

Liberty 7,654 - 41,560

Equinox 6,594 - 36,603

Torrent 2,885 - 12,481

RAV4 16,547 - 72,447

Tucson 3,454 - 16,711

CR-V 19,513 - 84,464

Element 3,187 - 16,728

Sportage 4,678 - 20,088

Forester 3,871 - ???

Grand Vitara 1,949 - 8,745

Tribute 1,119 - 3,575

I'm not really a fan of the 2008 Escape, but it's hard to argue with the numbers: second in single-model sales only to the CR-V (selling more than the vaunted RAV4). Plus, Ford is the largest manufacturer in this segment - 23,348 (Escape & Mariner) vs. 22,700 (CR-V & Element), and that's not including the platform-mate Tribute.

Scott

really...that could never happen no...impossible...lol :happy feet:

CR-V sales are limited by production capacity, not demand.

Honda is addressing that as we speak.

No Hybrid or V6 extra sales.

Hardly any fleet sales too. Just wow...

They did their homework on this one.

and you say that the rest of us make excuses.

"but...but....how can the escape/mariner sell with those drum brakes and FOUR SPEED transmission??"

simple. if a vehicle drives well, looks nice, and the price is right, it will sell. sometimes technical specs mean nothing. look how well the corolla sells and it flat out sucks.

hmmmmm.. drove by a enterprise today... and behold i saw 7 CRV rentals.. didnt see any escapes thou.

Hmmm reminds me of the Fusion excuses :lol:

We dont have any numbers on fleet sales with the 08 Model, so that wont be verifed till this time next year or so

As for doing their homework, the front end designers and the rear end designers must have never talked...the bubblebutt tail gate and the monstrous gap in the front bumper are horrible! Otherwise it looks ok...and people complain about Fords styling...LOL

I would think Escape and Mariner sales are being helped by the sizable incentives on the leftover 2007 models that are included in the sales figures.

On the CRV, I don't like the styling, particularly the rear hatch that would be heavily damaged in any rear fender bender accident. I think they are overrated, but they are popular. My parent's last car was a 2002 CRV - I never understood the appeal of the car.

My favorite, price no object, would be the RAV4. Price dependent would be the Saturn VUE with the polymer body panels and the Honda powertrain, or coming in 2008, the Torrent with the upgraded powertrain. I'd throw a 2007 Mariner in the mix too because of the nice incentives, but the 2008 doesn't have enough improvements to make it worth that much more than what the 2007 is going for right now.

I would think Escape and Mariner sales are being helped by the sizable incentives on the leftover 2007 models that are included in the sales figures.

On the CRV, I don't like the styling, particularly the rear hatch that would be heavily damaged in any rear fender bender accident. I think they are overrated, but they are popular. My parent's last car was a 2002 CRV - I never understood the appeal of the car.

My favorite, price no object, would be the RAV4. Price dependent would be the Saturn VUE with the polymer body panels and the Honda powertrain, or coming in 2008, the Torrent with the upgraded powertrain. I'd throw a 2007 Mariner in the mix too because of the nice incentives, but the 2008 doesn't have enough improvements to make it worth that much more than what the 2007 is going for right now.

There weren't many 07s around the lots from Jan on.

A couple things I want to say:

1) Can we quit it with these "(insert rental or dealership) near me has (insert exaggerated number) of (insert model I don't like)" posts?

2) Whether you think that the '08 Escape is a smoke-and-mirrors botch job (like myself) or the best that Ford could do with what they have, it seems to have worked, at least in conjunction with the incentives of the '07s. It will be interesting to see in August or September (or whenever they run out of '07s) whether the sales level stays the same. A bunch of people are celebrating that the Escape is outselling the RAV-4, but for how long? The Escape leads by only 611 units.

3) pcsario may have something to his thought about capacity. The Civic has been down over so many months. Now, suddenly, they sold 40,000 in one month. The same thing with the Accord, it's been selling well up to now. Now it's down 5000 units. It seems like a concerted effort to me. A real balancing act, with the CR-V benefiting, likely because they make more on it. I don't know what they are going to do if the new Accord takes off AND the CR-V continues this way.

4) You can't really assume that the CR-V would do a ton better if there was a V-6 or hybrid, though it does raise the question as to why Honda doesn't offer them. I think the lack of V-6 can be explained by the percentage of small SUVs/CUV favoring four-pots in a big way. That's probably what Ford was thinking when they left it out of the new-ish Escape. With a limited supply, the Escape could use it, but the Edge, Taurus and Taurus X NEED it. Just a matter of priorities.

As for doing their homework, the front end designers and the rear end designers must have never talked...the bubblebutt tail gate and the monstrous gap in the front bumper are horrible! Otherwise it looks ok...and people complain about Fords styling...LOL

People say Ford's Styling are dull boring and very dated, Honda has polarizing designs now but you can't call them boring.

Even Ford admits their designs are boring:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/design/...-boring-design/

Escape is selling well on value and looks. Ford did a great job on both. At least here in Canada, they are priced right and look great!

I drove 2 escapes today. I fwd 4 cyl and fwd 6 cyl. I liked them both. I love the chrome 17" wheels..beatiful.

I like the interior, quitetness. Do not like the steering feel at all. There is a slight delay from when you turn to when it reacts...it's weird..Can anyone explain this? I am considering the escape to replace my wive's 03 crv.

I have not driven a 07 crv, but I will to compare. Here in Canada the crv's are overpiced. The lx model is 29k CAD vs 21K US in the states. Exchange rate is almost at par. The price alone turns me off to the crv.

1) Can we quit it with these "(insert rental or dealership) near me has (insert exaggerated number) of (insert model I don't like)" posts?

About time someone said this....I have never believed one post that anyone writes that in.

Escape is selling well on value and looks. Ford did a great job on both. At least here in Canada, they are priced right and look great!

I drove 2 escapes today. I fwd 4 cyl and fwd 6 cyl. I liked them both. I love the chrome 17" wheels..beatiful.

I like the interior, quitetness. Do not like the steering feel at all. There is a slight delay from when you turn to when it reacts...it's weird..Can anyone explain this? I am considering the escape to replace my wive's 03 crv.

I have not driven a 07 crv, but I will to compare. Here in Canada the crv's are overpiced. The lx model is 29k CAD vs 21K US in the states. Exchange rate is almost at par. The price alone turns me off to the crv.

The steering on the new Escape is electric. Some reviewers like it and some don't. I believe the Chevy Malibu has electric steering too and reviews on it are mixed. The benefits are better fuel mileage and performance from engine as hydraulic steering runs off engine. Another benefit is that if your engine stalls, you will still have power steering. From what I have read about Ford's system, Ford has done a better job with steering feel than most. But it is different and takes some time to get used to.

I'm amazed that with processor cycles as cheap as they are, the delay in drive by wire & electric power steering is still apparently so noticeable.

Although, thinking about electric power steering, there should still be a direct mechanical link between your hands and the wheels of the car--so you should get something out of your initial effort.

I'm amazed that with processor cycles as cheap as they are, the delay in drive by wire & electric power steering is still apparently so noticeable.

Although, thinking about electric power steering, there should still be a direct mechanical link between your hands and the wheels of the car--so you should get something out of your initial effort.

Car and driver compared the steering to watching a movie when the sound is a split second behind...

"We noticed the same feeling when we turned the steering wheel. After giving the wheel a quick yank, there’s a split-second lag before the Escape responds. It makes any attempt at precision driving a psychic exercise, not that we expected the Escape to be a precision driving machine."

2) Whether you think that the '08 Escape is a smoke-and-mirrors botch job (like myself) or the best that Ford could do with what they have, it seems to have worked, at least in conjunction with the incentives of the '07s. It will be interesting to see in August or September (or whenever they run out of '07s) whether the sales level stays the same. A bunch of people are celebrating that the Escape is outselling the RAV-4, but for how long? The Escape leads by only 611 units.

I think thats the biggest problem here...people expect Ford to have a totally brand new product every 5 years with every product. This isn't the best Ford could do, but it is pretty damn good...and it seems to be working