Lincoln MKS spyshots, INTERIOR CLEAR SHOTS

LincolnFan

I'm giving allowance to this thing in that its a pre-production mule. So, no griping about panel gaps, interior material mismatches, etc. What I do find, though, is that while the overall interior / dash design and layout is clean, it doesn't really give me the emotional reaction that I get when I look in an Audi interior, or even the very well done stuff that VW has had recently. Don't get me wrong, its "nice" but it doesn't seem overly luxurious to me in the pictures.

What I do like, its got provision for a manumatic. While most of them out there are completely useless as they are slow and unresponsive, having the features is an advertising feature. The overall design that I can see and imagine under the camo seems to be very sedate, american luxury with a distinctly modern asian luxury touch to the lines. While I think that it will do well, I don't see it hitting the volume numbers that the MkZ has. The price point speaks against it (as you go up, the market must neccessarily shrink). The overall design doesn't seem agressive enough to draw people out of the showrooms of the competitors.

I'm going to say that this is going to be right there where the old Continental left off. Just taking a quick glance at the camoed pics and knowing about the layout of the vehicle, it jus strikes me as an update of the old continental. And, strangely enough, given that this is a D3 derived vehicle, and the D3 is the platform for the Taurus, the resembelance is there. The old Conti was on a taurus derived chasis and sported a transverse engine. What makes this better than the last gen Conti? AWD, more efficient engine, more cogs in the auto, better platform, better overall quality. And, the possibility of there being a twinforce version of this vehicle just makes it that much sweeter.

You're very correct about this vehicle picking up where the last Continental left off, and frankly, were it not for the MK-scheme, I would have badged it as such.

Although it is conceptually similar, there are several KEY differences, which will ensure success where the last one failed. The old Continental (1995-2002) was an excellent vehicle in many ways, but failed when it came to price. It represented a huge increase over the 1988-1994 model, and was priced similarly to the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Lincoln Town Car. It couldn't compete with the Town Car on space, and it couldn't compete with the E-Class in prestige. The prior model was a huge success due to overall competance, and a great price point.

Lincoln is taking a lesson from that model's success (and the consequent model's failure), and can look at Acura for a modern example. The TL is a luxury-laden vehicle at a great price point compared to the competition, and thus, has been burning up the sales charts. The RL is a luxury laden vehicle at a ridiculous price point compared to its V8 competitors, and thus, has rotted on dealer lots.

Ford has indicated that the MKS will slot right above the MKZ in price, and therefore, will probably start at about 36k or so for a "base" version. The base version will have a 3.7L, >300hp V6, 18" rims, LED head/taillights soft leather seating, a high quality sound system, a great ride/handling balance, and TONS of interior space and storage. Thats a hell of a lot of car for the money. I expect options (navi/THX, vista roof, 20" rims, Twin-Force Turbo, etc...) to push the fully loaded price to around 50k, give or take. Even at that price, its still an incredible deal, especially considering that its rivals (E-Class, STS, 5-Series) START at that price, and are smaller to boot.

I actually believe that the MKS will sell significantly better than the MKZ compared to its rivals, since the MKS represents a much better value statement in comparison. While the MKZ is priced slightly below its competitors, the MKS is priced 10-15 grand less than its comparably equipped competition.

As far as a customer base goes, I think Lincoln will start taking customers from a variety of sources. A lot of the MKS's initial customer base will be from customers trading in Town Cars and LS's, but I expect as time goes on, that it will pull people out of Lexuses due to the MKS's better value proposition and Lincoln's incredible quality (as of late), while also taking some people out of German rivals, also due to price.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would dispute its competing with the german rivals on several points. I have found, through the years, that buyers of German luxury vehicles tend to be brand-whorish. They are buying the name plate and putting up with what's attached to it. The other group that buys them are the enthusiasts. They like that the german vehicles are great drivers due to their layout (most are RWD and AUDI is just a freak when it comes to FWD/AWD handling) and have the perception of luxury.

Lexus made penetration in the market by proving that there was a subgroup out there that would still shop "the deal" at those price points. Infiniti has limped along by trying to out deal Lexus on the bottom while offering something sportier on top and, recently, finding some performance/value mojo with the FM platform. Acura proved for years that there were some people that just wanted a Honda with more options and features.

What's Lincoln going to prove? Are they going to out Lexus Lexus and do them one better by offering even better value? Is there money to be made there? With what they've got in the stable, they've proven that they don't want the enthusiast segment. This will leave alone most of Infiniti's market and at least a third of the german import market. Are they going to go for the safety market? That only canabalizes Volvo. Not the way to go if you own them both. They've already got the Geezer market with the TC and GM, so there's no need to go there. The interior, if the prototype is representative of it, is not going to be a class leader, but middle of the pack. Therefore, the people that want knock out interiors (audi customers) aren't going to be interested.

It just looks to me like they're trying to go right where Hyundai seems to be going. Maximum value for your buck in the intro and mid market luxury ranks. Lincoln has a bit more brand cachet than Hyundai, so they might command a bit more for now. But, we all know that Hyundai is willing to buy market share with absolutely minimal profits and loss leaders. We know that Hyundai is coming with a RWD large sedan that will be right in there with the MkS. So, there's already value pressure at intro from below. The only things that Lincoln will have better will be brand perception and the dealership experience. But, in anything for a buck america, will that matter?

The center part of the dash is a speaker according to the text at least, The push button is the trunk release, IF you look at the icon its the back of the car with the decklid open

Yeah, I see that now. Wishful thinking on my part I guess. I'm also not used to a round trunk release button (mine is square).

Well, it's still a pre-production model. The wood trim does look a bit sparse on this shot. It's possible (and hopefully) the mass of dull black plastic on the center stack/console will be finished some other way for the production version. Even a brushed aluminum look like the MKZ would look better.

This is pre-production - none of the materials are finished (no graining e.g.). Don't get too caught up in the materials yet.

The foot operated parking brake is a holdover from it's D3 roots (Taurus, Sable). The Freestyle loaner I drove had the same thing. Probably too expensive to change it.

I just looked at both the Lexus GS350 and Infiniti M35 and they use a foot operated parking brake as well (unless it's electronic). They certainly don't use a handbrake so maybe this is ok.

Not to bad, looks slightly lower grade then the concept, espeically the heat/air vents(looks rather crude/ truckish), do not like how the suede dash cover over laps the silver trim around the centre heat/air vents. In the concept http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog...04/dscn2226.jpg you can see the execution is much cleaner.

Also I see the turn signal stalk is at the 10 o'clock position , ala Fusion.

I'd like to reiterate that NO other manufacturer has as nice a red self-destruct button.

That's it's USP!

I'm in two minds about the car. If the quality of finishes will be higher then I think it will be fine. However I'm not sure the plastics on the centre console will get much better and frankly that's a worry. It reminds me of the pictures I've seen of Jeeps that sell in the USA where they sell with lower grade plastics but in Europe where they sell with higher grade plastics. Audi and co don't differentiate in this way they just sell high grade plastics in all their cars and charge a bit more.

That said I still like it I think it's okay, just as long as it's cheaper than an Audi or a Merc, which I assume it is. It is right?

The Contour/Mystique dashes were assembled with soft touch plastics, you know the stuff that everyone goes crazy for around here.

Good post Old_Fairmount, and in a nutshell it seems at least on paper that Lincoln has been able to do that with the MKZ and somewhat with the MKX. My better halfs dad leased a Zephyr last year, and honestly I think it is a very well executed car...........the issues I have with it is Ford's inability to cease 'parts bin diving'. You don't get in a Lexus and think hmmm, those look like nobs from a Camry......why should you get in a Lincoln and feel it is nothing but a glorified Ford (rather it is or isn't aint the question here folks it all boils down to perception). Simple tweaks to tactile response in conjunction with changes to high touch/visible areas go a long way......and while they are at it, dampen the hell out of everything (people always get a kick out of that).

Would I drive an MKS? Hmmm, we will see.

The Contour/Mystique dashes were assembled with soft touch plastics, you know the stuff that everyone goes crazy for around here.

Good post Old_Fairmount, and in a nutshell it seems at least on paper that Lincoln has been able to do that with the MKZ and somewhat with the MKX. My better halfs dad leased a Zephyr last year, and honestly I think it is a very well executed car...........the issues I have with it is Ford's inability to cease 'parts bin diving'. You don't get in a Lexus and think hmmm, those look like nobs from a Camry......why should you get in a Lincoln and feel it is nothing but a glorified Ford (rather it is or isn't aint the question here folks it all boils down to perception). Simple tweaks to tactile response in conjunction with changes to high touch/visible areas go a long way......and while they are at it, dampen the hell out of everything (people always get a kick out of that).

Would I drive an MKS? Hmmm, we will see.

Except for the minor detail that all Lexuses use Toyota switchgear. Every button is right out of a Toyota, even the ones that aren't based on Toyota architectures. Seriously, look at a Camry and an ES side by side, and you tell me the Lincoln and Ford are more similar. Give me a break.

Does anyone know if the MKS is still larger than Taurus - ie, same as concept's longer O/A length and wheelbase ?

If so, would Ford consider doing a sedan larger than Taurus? Is there a need for a larger luxury FWD/AWD?

Edited by jpd80

Except for the minor detail that all Lexuses use Toyota switchgear. Every button is right out of a Toyota, even the ones that aren't based on Toyota architectures. Seriously, look at a Camry and an ES side by side, and you tell me the Lincoln and Ford are more similar. Give me a break.

And where in all of my post did I say that Lexus uses different switchgear from Toyota? Where? When it comes to luxury cars, it is all about presentation.

You don't get in a Lexus and think hmmm, those look like nobs from a Camry.
and

Every button is right out of a Toyota

Are not the same thing. My comments dealt directly with presentation, not whether or not it uses the same switchgear as a Camry.......that's sort of redundant considering they share platforms.

The indentation in the central dash above the stack looks like a large 'center channel' speaker will fit, even if the speaker itself is mounted on the lid of a hidden compartment under it to hold sunglasses, cellphone, etc.

If the top small screen is for a nav/display, I hope there will be a small hood to prevent glare with high sun. My Toyota minivan has the stereo stupidly angled up (Camry does too) seemingly in order to obtain maximum glare. I hope Lincoln doesn't make the same mistake. Also, that space's nav/display could also be the info center for future Hybrid info center.

Also, the chrome surrounds on the screen area & vents does NOT look good, at least not in this picture.

The black plastic tells me this is where the designers ran out of ideas. Even on a Prius, one of the few things I like about them is the areas of black plastic has a soft, wood pattern etched into the plastic. Maybe I'm not describing it well, but it does look very cool in person. The thing about smooth black plastic is it gets marred real quick and thus diminishes resale value! Black plastic, even with a velvet finish, shouldn't be where you would lay things on it and get it all scratched up.

The curved union between the center stack and the center console looks nice but is utterly useless. A bad case of form over function. That space is prime real estate! At the very least it should house all the techno goodies people have come to expect to use in modern vehicles: Ipod dock, cell phone dock, dual 12vdc outlets or even an 110vac outlet for laptop recharging etc.

I know this photo is of a test vehicle, but I hope somebody at Lincoln is reading this!

lincolnmks.int1.kgp.ed.jpg

Edited by joihan777

The indentation in the central dash above the stack looks like a large 'center channel' speaker will fit, even if the speaker itself is mounted on the lid of a hidden compartment under it to hold sunglasses, cellphone, etc.

If the top small screen is for a nav/display, I hope there will be a small hood to prevent glare with high sun. My Toyota minivan has the stereo stupidly angled up (Camry does too) seemingly in order to obtain maximum glare. I hope Lincoln doesn't make the same mistake. Also, that space's nav/display could also be the info center for future Hybrid info center.

Also, the chrome surrounds on the screen area & vents does NOT look good, at least not in this picture.

The black plastic tells me this is where the designers ran out of ideas. Even on a Prius, one of the few things I like about them is the areas of black plastic has a soft, wood pattern etched into the plastic. Maybe I'm not describing it well, but it does look very cool in person. The thing about smooth black plastic is it gets marred real quick and thus diminishes resale value! Black plastic, even with a velvet finish, shouldn't be where you would lay things on it and get it all scratched up.

The curved union between the center stack and the center console looks nice but is utterly useless. A bad case of form over function. That space is prime real estate! At the very least it should house all the techno goodies people have come to expect to use in modern vehicles: Ipod dock, cell phone dock, dual 12vdc outlets or even an 110vac outlet for laptop recharging etc.

I know this photo is of a test vehicle, but I hope somebody at Lincoln is reading this!

lincolnmks.int1.kgp.ed.jpg

See, I was thinking the same thing about the center console plastic, but think about this from a design perspective. Notice how there are both wood and chrome trim elements bordering this area of the car. Nickel-silver appearance finish wouldn't work, because it conflicts with the silver. Wood would not work because then the car would look ridiculously overdone and tasteless. Notice, however, how the plastic is color-keyed to the top of the dash, which creates a very attractive two-tone effect. In tan interior cars, I'm sure this plastic will be a darker brown

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the production model will have a compartment cover where that plastic curve is right now.

The screen above the radio/HVAC controls is a message center. It is NOT NAVIGATION.

See, I was thinking the same thing about the center console plastic, but think about this from a design perspective. Notice how there are both wood and chrome trim elements bordering this area of the car. Nickel-silver appearance finish wouldn't work, because it conflicts with the silver. Wood would not work because then the car would look ridiculously overdone and tasteless. Notice, however, how the plastic is color-keyed to the top of the dash, which creates a very attractive two-tone effect. In tan interior cars, I'm sure this plastic will be a darker brown

The more I see of the center stack, the less I'm interested in it. The problem all starts with that slab of wood across the dash. It has no character whatsoever. If it was a more flush-fitting and a less obstrusive wood inlay, then they would have been able to seemlessly bring the same wood down into the center stack and onto the console without it being overkill at all. This also would have allowed them to more easily wrap the wood across the top of the steering column to join it with the small section to the driver's left.

and

Are not the same thing. My comments dealt directly with presentation, not whether or not it uses the same switchgear as a Camry.......that's sort of redundant considering they share platforms.

How do you present the same switchgear differently?

I actually like the whole interior .. the screen area is disturbingly ugly.. but the gray plastic stack is actually very .... Volvo - looking .. or whatever - I like it .. the whole interior is moder yet throwback and elegant .. right up my alley ..

Igor

The more I see of the center stack, the less I'm interested in it. The problem all starts with that slab of wood across the dash. It has no character whatsoever. If it was a more flush-fitting and a less obstrusive wood inlay, then they would have been able to seemlessly bring the same wood down into the center stack and onto the console without it being overkill at all. This also would have allowed them to more easily wrap the wood across the top of the steering column to join it with the small section to the driver's left.

I agree that the wood across the dash is a little obtrusive. They could make it somewhat more recessed (but still sticking out a little, and consequently, continue it across the steering column.

However, I 100% disagree about the wood continuing down the center stack and the console. To me, that is just way WAY too much wood. The 2007 Navigator has that, and although its fine on a pimp-mobile like the Navi, its just tasteless in a classy luxury sedan. Especially with burled walnut or maple.

However, here's a thought. They could offer an interior package that replaces the dash wood with real satin-nickel, and the center console is a dark wood or glossy black. Just a thought...