GM will introduce 4.5l V8 Diesel in 2010MY Trucks

igor

well if only they could keep it from doing this at 50 degrees....

post-20954-1181907589_thumb.jpgpost-20954-1181907602_thumb.jpg post-20954-1181907621_thumb.jpg

That is either bio diesel that has NOT been made properly or it's hydroginated veg oil.

50 deg is not that cold, it shouldn't have gelled unless there is some other factor.

Looks more like somebody running vegoil without the proper line heaters or switched to veg oil before it was up to temp. :shades:

That is either bio diesel that has NOT been made properly or it's hydroginated veg oil.

50 deg is not that cold, it shouldn't have gelled unless there is some other factor.

Looks more like somebody running vegoil without the proper line heaters or switched to veg oil before it was up to temp. :shades:

from the person that I got those picture from it was supposedly B100 and at 20 degrees not 50..my mistake...but this is the biggest problem I have heard about with bio....

I had heard this could happen, it is still not a deterrent. I'm sure the person who made the bio-diesel didn't know what they where doing! That's why it needs to be put into the hands of people who know what there doing and sold at fueling stations. Hell BP is selling bio-diesel but I bet it won't do that to your fuel filters!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Now the 4.5l V8 is official:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...amp;docid=37112

350+hp 520+ft.lbs

Igor

Note the first paragraph:

General Motors Corp. will introduce a new, state-of-the-art 4.5L V-8 Duramax turbo-diesel that improves engine fuel efficiency by 25 percent, reduces CO2 emissions by 13 percent and cuts particulates and NOx emissions by at least 90 percent for North American light duty trucks and the HUMMER H2 built after 2009.

That means it will arrive no sooner than the 2010 MY.

That's great Pioneer, I nearly wet my pants. My point is, why can't Ford announce these sort of things. If "we" all know the light duty diesel is due in the 2009 F-150, why don't they let the rest of the world know. Also, since Navistar is associating itself with Nissan, one would think that Ford would be quick to react to this. What's next for the vaunted Super Duty if their is no more PowerStroke?

Hey, at least GM and Nissan officially announced their upcoming light duty diesel engines. Unless I missed it, I don't think that Ford has "officially" announced anything when it comes to their light duty diesel.

That's what we need unfulfilled promises, six months from now they don't want people anticipating the release of some project that they have scrapped because there was some huge market shift!

Hey, at least GM and Nissan officially announced their upcoming light duty diesel engines. Unless I missed it, I don't think that Ford has "officially" announced anything when it comes to their light duty diesel.

That's what we need unfulfilled promises, six months or 2 years from now they don't want people anticipating the release of some project that they have scrapped because there was some huge market shift!

Despite the cost of fuel, light truck demand is still high. Hence the need for a Diesel in a standard light-duty truck.

Ford has one in the works, but so does GM and Nissan. I am willing to bet that you will see some kind of announcement or rumor from the Chrysler corp. on doing the same for the Dodge Ram.

The next 'big' thing will be a Diesel 1/2 ton truck with a 6 speed. It will offer better gas mileage than a conventional truck, without sacrificing power.

As the Industry Leader, its vital that Ford not drop the ball on this. That means they can't be last to market on providing this truck. They can't be second. They must be first. That means prototype vehicle in Detroit in January. Period.

On top of that, Ford can't afford to bumble the execution. Its it would be terrible for Ford to rush this to market to maintain their lead, and have all kinds of quality issues. Execution is key.

I got a real bad feeling about this. From what I've been seeing, a diesel F-150 is still more rumor than reality. I don't doubt the plans exist, I just think things are behind schedule right now. And with more and more competition announcing plans, the logical response from Ford will be to speed up their plans to make sure they maintain the lead. This almost always leads to quality problems. Not to mention the fact that Ford can't do ANYTHING quick. Their corporate structure has too many levels to allow for the swift execution of anything. Even things they try to do 'quick' like the Shelby GT, or the Flex, are slow.

I guess it will come down to pick your poison. Either Ford will:

• [1]Be first to market with a diesel F-150. But it will be marred with many problems. Or...
    [2]Be behind both Nissan and GM with a 1/2 ton diesel option, and their rep as Industry Leader will suffer.

Edited by morgande

Yeah life is terrible...boo hoo...nothing ever works for me.....boo hoo...

HOLY FUCK!!!!

What a bunch of bitching over nothing!!! You don't even know if or when something is coming out but your already bitching because it will either be no good or it will be good but last.

You whiny, sniveling, piece of shit complainers!!

Either you hate ford or you bitch about ford because you "like" them.

You guys should rename yourselves to eyore.

Talk about keeping a black cloud over your own head, shut the fuck up and stop whining like a little school girl!

If it's bad THEN you can bitch, if it's good BE HAPPY and not look for something else to bitch about. Stop looking for the dark cloud every time you see a silver lining!

:censored:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford was last in the segment to get a diesel, even though they've had the rumors for the longest...

Would it even matter if diesel was to hit $4.00 again like it did last year? Who cares, The reason truck sales are still going is because people need them to maintain their livelihood. No work, no eat!

As I see it, if these, some of the least fuel efficient vehicles on the market, start to move to diesel, and gain fuel efficiency in the process, it will be a net benifit to us all. Why? It will reduce gas demand. The diesel demand will rise in a smaller proportion to the reduction of gasoline. Could reduce gas prices for the rest of us.

Would it even matter if diesel was to hit $4.00 again like it did last year? Who cares, The reason truck sales are still going is because people need them to maintain their livelihood. No work, no eat!

It's less than gas here, I can only imagine how many fleet customers would love a diesel F-150, especially with today's fuel prices, it doesn't make any sense to say because of high fuel costs they wouldn't want a truck that gets better mileage..

Ford has been working on the 4.4L for almost 2 years now !

When I got involved about 18 months ago, it was a very "hush-hush" program. Ford was concerned about how Navistar would react (and now we all know) as well as possible "backlash" from from the supplier of the "wet side" of the injection system (hint; not the same supplier as the 6.4L !)

The "cat's out if the bag" now so I don't know why they are keeping quiet, unless they are concerned about making a specific delivery date (which they should be !) There is still a lot of engineering work that needs to be done, especially on the "after treatment system" required to meet the emissions standards for 2010MY 1/2 ton trucks.

New rumor ! The 4.4L may find it's way into the F250/E250 ! It really is a better suited engine for that size vehicle. The "bigger" diesel engine would still be an option.

It's less than gas here, I can only imagine how many fleet customers would love a diesel F-150, especially with today's fuel prices, it doesn't make any sense to say because of high fuel costs they wouldn't want a truck that gets better mileage..

The fact is diesel was always cheaper than gas until the last decade. The last three years the disparity was such that, even with the improved fuel millage of a diesel it still cost more to run than identical gas models. plus the diesel option cost you more on the MSRP. Right now diesel is once again cheaper but that could change over night. We need to ween our selves off of petroleum products almost entirely!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Ford has been working on the 4.4L for almost 2 years now !

When I got involved about 18 months ago, it was a very "hush-hush" program. Ford was concerned about how Navistar would react (and now we all know) as well as possible "backlash" from from the supplier of the "wet side" of the injection system (hint; not the same supplier as the 6.4L !)

The "cat's out if the bag" now so I don't know why they are keeping quiet, unless they are concerned about making a specific delivery date (which they should be !) There is still a lot of engineering work that needs to be done, especially on the "after treatment system" required to meet the emissions standards for 2010MY 1/2 ton trucks.

New rumor ! The 4.4L may find it's way into the F250/E250 ! It really is a better suited engine for that size vehicle. The "bigger" diesel engine would still be an option.

I knew that they had been working on it a while. And I'm happy to hear your comments. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised with the engine choices in the 09 F-150. I do agree that it is better not to announce new engine details if a release date is uncertain. However, I think most of us are just anxious for any news regarding the 4.4L and Hurricane/Boss engine programs.

Edited by 02MustangGT

I knew that they had been working on it a while. And I'm happy to hear your comments. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised with the engine choices in the 09 F-150. I do agree that it is better not to announce new engine details if a release date is uncertain. However, I think most of us are just anxious for any news regarding the 4.4L and Hurricane/Boss engine programs.

i sure as hell am

However, I think most of us are just anxious for any news regarding the 4.4L and Hurricane/Boss engine programs.

For the past 2 year, Ford Research and Engineering has been shutdown for the week of July 4th. This year, the plan is the same, with a few exceptions.

The engineers working on the 4.4L diesel will be working most of that week ! Can you you say "catch-up time" ?