2008 Ford Taurus Walkaround

wescoent

Today, I had the pleasure of catching a pair of 2008 Ford Taurii at my local Ford dealer, one Limited in light blue, and one SEL in black. This is the first time I have seen them outside of photos and the auto show.

And WOW.

I remember being completely underwhelmed when seeing photos for the first time, thinking "that's it?". Even at the NYIAS, I was like, ok, what's the point?

Now, having seen it in person, my enthusiasm for this car has gone through the roof. I always thought the only chink in the car's armor was potential styling turnoffs, but WOW. It looks like the Five Hundred put on an Armani suit, as an analogy. The front end is just unbelievable. In photos, you can never capture how the curve in the lower fascia lines right up with the headlights, nor how good the big chrome rims match everything else, including the clear-element tail lights. The side vents APPEAR functional... they aren't just tacked on... there IS a hole in the sheetmetal.

The interior was still in its wrapper, but I can see the WORLD of difference the two-tone makes, as well as all the new chrome detailing.

The Five Hundred went from a pretty good car to a total knockout.

Today, I had the pleasure of catching a pair of 2008 Ford Taurii at my local Ford dealer, one Limited in light blue, and one SEL in black. This is the first time I have seen them outside of photos and the auto show.

And WOW.

I remember being completely underwhelmed when seeing photos for the first time, thinking "that's it?". Even at the NYIAS, I was like, ok, what's the point?

Now, having seen it in person, my enthusiasm for this car has gone through the roof. I always thought the only chink in the car's armor was potential styling turnoffs, but WOW. It looks like the Five Hundred put on an Armani suit, as an analogy. The front end is just unbelievable. In photos, you can never capture how the curve in the lower fascia lines right up with the headlights, nor how good the big chrome rims match everything else, including the clear-element tail lights. The side vents APPEAR functional... they aren't just tacked on... there IS a hole in the sheetmetal.

The interior was still in its wrapper, but I can see the WORLD of difference the two-tone makes, as well as all the new chrome detailing.

I was checking out Metallic Alloy Taurus at Bill Brown Ford in Limited trim. It's FWD and lists for about $30,000. The dark metallic alloy looks really sharp with the chrome wheels which it has. The seats and console have contrasting stitching like Fusion and look very sharp. The inlaid wood trim also gives off luxurious look and the outer band chrome on switch gear adds nice touch. Dark metallic alloy with chrome wheels really sets this vehicle off. It certainly is a head turner. I was also talking with guy there who drove one and he said the power is very impressive. 0-60 times are something like 1.5 seconds faster than 500 and passing power is equally impressive. You can tell Ford did its homework on this vehicle and lots of nice, new touches just about everywhere. Much more than what you think initially. Enough to change whole personality of vehicle. I do like the new fender vents. Nice touch and set it off from Sable and fits in with Bold Move theme.

Currently drive 2002 Taurus SES Sport,

Mike

And WOW.

I'm so glad to hear that...I hope that everyone sees the car just like you did....I can't wait to see one myself.

I'm so glad to hear that...I hope that everyone sees the car just like you did....I can't wait to see one myself.

I totally agree with the positive sentiments above. Yesterday, I saw it for the first time on the street in daylight instead of online pics or the local auto show display. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the Sable in person! My pics are posted here: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=13859

I totally agree with the positive sentiments above. Yesterday, I saw it for the first time on the street in daylight instead of online pics or the local auto show display. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the Sable in person! My pics are posted here: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=13859

Nice photos hbalek. I am surprised at the hood matching the grille and it looks more pronounced and even a little aggressive. The trunklid and the rear quarter panels match and the gaps are not that bad. It seems a little wide to me but I have to look the old Five Hundred to compare.

The interior shots I saw on another site look a lot better then the ones Ford has put out. The two-tone works great and the Sim-wood trim is not gaudy but subdued and warm.

I am not in the market for this typr of car but it is worth a look. Heck just maybe the old-school family sedan has some life left. I drove my Dad's Five Hundred demo back in the day and the Command seating works for that SUV, CUV feel. Heck, maybe I'll get a Taurus instead of an Edge to be different.

Nice car and it's not your fathers Taurus. Welcome back.

Ha ha, I can agree. Only difference with me was, I loved it seeing it in pictures/videos/websites, and that love doubled when I saw one at our local Ford dealer. It was so beautiful! Could pass for a BMW or Lexus. There is only one at Litchfield Ford, and its red. Sitting by a row of Edge's and Fusion's in the front-row of the dealer. Just came in some time last week or so, although I am not sure if its just a display vehicle and if they are selling them yet.

Oh, and another thing. It is a million times better looking then the current Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Maxima. It actually stands out too, in a sea of mid-size and full-size sedans that all look exactly the same. It stands out in the good way, in the way a Mercedes-Benz or high-end European luxury car does. Not in the way the third generation Taurus and Aztek do.

Nice photos hbalek. I am surprised at the hood matching the grille and it looks more pronounced and even a little aggressive. The trunklid and the rear quarter panels match and the gaps are not that bad. It seems a little wide to me but I have to look the old Five Hundred to compare.

The interior shots I saw on another site look a lot better then the ones Ford has put out. The two-tone works great and the Sim-wood trim is not gaudy but subdued and warm.

I am not in the market for this typr of car but it is worth a look. Heck just maybe the old-school family sedan has some life left. I drove my Dad's Five Hundred demo back in the day and the Command seating works for that SUV, CUV feel. Heck, maybe I'll get a Taurus instead of an Edge to be different.

I have seen at least 15 new Tauruses at Bill Brown and Blackwell Ford. And btw they are already on Metro Detroit streets....have seen two already and they were not test cars. Anyway, I have checked out the build quality on new Taurus and I would say build quality is better than 500 and impressive. I remember some 500's and running my hand down seam between hood and fender and finding them not flush. On the new Taurus they are pretty much spot on. In fact, on some 500's you could detect flaw with eyes too. Paint, finish and fit, and interior finish seems to be superior to 500. Kudos to CAP as they need to put out outstanding product if Ford is to have chance at avoiding bankruptcy.

Currently driving 2002 Taurus SES Sport with outstanding reliability,

Mike

I have seen at least 15 new Tauruses at Bill Brown and Blackwell Ford. And btw they are already on Metro Detroit streets....have seen two already and they were not test cars. Anyway, I have checked out the build quality on new Taurus and I would say build quality is better than 500 and impressive. I remember some 500's and running my hand down seam between hood and fender and finding them not flush. On the new Taurus they are pretty much spot on. In fact, on some 500's you could detect flaw with eyes too. Paint, finish and fit, and interior finish seems to be superior to 500. Kudos to CAP as they need to put out outstanding product if Ford is to have chance at avoiding bankruptcy.

Currently driving 2002 Taurus SES Sport with outstanding reliability,

Mike

Good to know FB. I feel the D3 Platform has shown that Ford can improve it's products after issues arise in them and listening to the customers. Kudos to Chicago indeed. So, are you ready to move up from your 02?

Good to know FB. I feel the D3 Platform has shown that Ford can improve it's products after issues arise in them and listening to the customers. Kudos to Chicago indeed. So, are you ready to move up from your 02?

I'm getting there Hugh. The new Taurus is very tempting. But I like to buy in December and buy last years model. I bought my 2002 Taurus as previous year model new. They still had a few in stock and I lucked out and got just the one I wanted....matador red, moonroof, spoiler, ABS, perimeter lighting,heated mirrors, automatic dimming mirror with compass, DOHC engine, and lots of other goodies for real good price. Bill Brown Ford always has about 1500 Fords in stock at all times and my sales person is great...no pressure whatsoever. So easy pickings, good deal, and no fuss.

So I'm doing balancing act now. I own this vehicle free and clear, have had no car payments for two years which I'm enjoying, and this vehicle is worth about $7500 as trade-in and maybe $8,000+ if I sell privately. Maybe in December of this year or next year with previous year model. This year wouldn't work of course as I would have to buy same year model. I don't want the value of my present Taurus to sink too low, but no pressure on me to buy right now either other than temptation. Ford is doing good job of tempting me though.

I do know though that my next vehicle will be new Taurus FWD Limited with Ford's Sync system and Sirius radio. When is the big question though. It will be before my present vehicle worth sinks real low and when I can get best deal on new Taurus. I also want to help out Ford, my community, and state by buying Ford built at CAP which is at least an American city and profits/ revenue flows back to Dearborn. I'm also a Ford stockholder and investor in Ford notes fixed income. You better believe my next vehicle will be Ford.

Currently drive pristine 2002 Taurus SES Sport,

Mike

I wonder how it sounds? From these descriptions, I think the only thing missing is a nice growl!

First let me say that I'm proud to add that it was I and one or two others here that months and months ago proclaimed the Taurus would be well recieved once it hit the lots and I'm here to gloat at all you boys about how right I was. :bowdown:

Second, with respect to the growl, no there's not a growl, I just spent some time this very afternoon around the show Taurus here at the Ford dealer and it has a pretty quiet exhaust note. And thank God for that!!! All you car guys think every damned thing on the road has to have a growl. What is it with that? When I hear a car with a growl, espeically a large passenger sedan and espeically one that's basically a kind of luxury sedan which a loaded up Taurus qualifies for, a throaty exhaust note is just ridiculous. It's like, "Oh yeah, nice sedan, very comfortable, great ride, nice features, until you start it up and then it sounds like Bo and Luke Duke drive it." This is not a car that needs a loud exhast, also known as "the small pecker mating call." Just leave it with the quiet exhaust so you can actually enjoy the ride.

I have to agree that the car is quite impressive in the flesh. Our local Jack Safro has a stunning BLACK Taurus and it looks simply fantastic with that chrome grille. My mother was with me when we drove by it in our Jaguar XJ8, and she said that it looked great. She told me she thought it looked like an Audi. My mom knows a little bit about cars, but for some reason, even though she drives a Jaguar XJ8, she is impressed by Audis. *shrugs*

I guess it's a good sign that she thinks it looks like an Audi though. Kind of ironic in a way. Didn't Ford base its original Taurus design off the Audi 5000 back in the 80s? Seems things have come full-circle. Hopefully it'll light up the sales charts again!

I have to agree that the car is quite impressive in the flesh. Our local Jack Safro has a stunning BLACK Taurus and it looks simply fantastic with that chrome grille. My mother was with me when we drove by it in our Jaguar XJ8, and she said that it looked great. She told me she thought it looked like an Audi. My mom knows a little bit about cars, but for some reason, even though she drives a Jaguar XJ8, she is impressed by Audis. *shrugs*

I guess it's a good sign that she thinks it looks like an Audi though. Kind of ironic in a way. Didn't Ford base its original Taurus design off the Audi 5000 back in the 80s? Seems things have come full-circle. Hopefully it'll light up the sales charts again!

Well, the original Taurus did appear very derivative of the Audi 5000, and the Five Hundred was also very derivative of the lastest VW and Audis... hence the Taurus.

Well, the original Taurus did appear very derivative of the Audi 5000, and the Five Hundred was also very derivative of the lastest VW and Audis... hence the Taurus.

Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Don't let Richard hear you say that or he'll be in here like a shot and :rant: about how the original Taurus absolutely was not based after some damned Audi!!! lol

And here I am.

Fact is the interiors of Audis and MBs were benchmarked for the Taurus. The exterior, however, was derived from Ford's own products and concepts. Similarities with the longer and less advanced Audi 5000 were largely due to 'converging evolution', as opposed to outright "gee that seems like a good idea, let's copy it"

Designers that worked on the Taurus project freely admit copying the Germans inside the Taurus; but deny looking to Germany for inspiration outside. In fact they didn't have to--combine the blackout B pillars on the Thunderbird with the overall shape of the Tempo and the flush headlamps of the Mk VII, and you've just about got the Taurus--the only "Taurus" left is the blank between the headlights in place of a grille.

Great another history lesson about the Taurus from the head master. :boring:

Seriously though, I did note one thing about the new Taurus that the photos don't really give way. At night under lamp light the angle of the three bar grill is such that it actually causes a noteable difference in the way the car looks. By that I mean as you walk up to the car the chrome wheels might catch your eye due to the way the light hits them, while the angle of the grill reflects almost nothing. As you move around the car the light angle will take the sheen from the wheels but then the grill catches it. It was actually kinda cool. I don't think Ford intended that effect but it happens just the same. Probably inspired by Audi. lol

And here I am.

Fact is the interiors of Audis and MBs were benchmarked for the Taurus. The exterior, however, was derived from Ford's own products and concepts. Similarities with the longer and less advanced Audi 5000 were largely due to 'converging evolution', as opposed to outright "gee that seems like a good idea, let's copy it"

Designers that worked on the Taurus project freely admit copying the Germans inside the Taurus; but deny looking to Germany for inspiration outside. In fact they didn't have to--combine the blackout B pillars on the Thunderbird with the overall shape of the Tempo and the flush headlamps of the Mk VII, and you've just about got the Taurus--the only "Taurus" left is the blank between the headlights in place of a grille.

Well, obviously, Ford's designers didn't copy the Audi, but it certainly appears that way to the untrained eye.

Whereas with the Five Hundred and Taurus, I think the lines were designed with the Audi in mind...

The Dark Ink Blue is much darker than I was expecting, it is really more of a midnight blue. I ordered a Taurus X in the blue, and when I saw the dealer had gotten a Taurus in same color, I went down to the dealer to check it out in person. It was a little overcast and I was wearing polarized sunglasses, but I had to check the sticker to confirm the color, because I thought it was black. Checked it out again yesterday on a bright sunny day, and I must say the color has grown on me, and my second choice was black, so it really splits the difference between the two.

First let me say that I'm proud to add that it was I and one or two others here that months and months ago proclaimed the Taurus would be well recieved once it hit the lots and I'm here to gloat at all you boys about how right I was. :bowdown:

Second, with respect to the growl, no there's not a growl, I just spent some time this very afternoon around the show Taurus here at the Ford dealer and it has a pretty quiet exhaust note. And thank God for that!!! All you car guys think every damned thing on the road has to have a growl. What is it with that? When I hear a car with a growl, espeically a large passenger sedan and espeically one that's basically a kind of luxury sedan which a loaded up Taurus qualifies for, a throaty exhaust note is just ridiculous. It's like, "Oh yeah, nice sedan, very comfortable, great ride, nice features, until you start it up and then it sounds like Bo and Luke Duke drive it." This is not a car that needs a loud exhast, also known as "the small pecker mating call." Just leave it with the quiet exhaust so you can actually enjoy the ride.

:hysterical: Great post! You can gloat all you want.

The Dark Ink Blue is much darker than I was expecting, it is really more of a midnight blue. I ordered a Taurus X in the blue, and when I saw the dealer had gotten a Taurus in same color, I went down to the dealer to check it out in person. It was a little overcast and I was wearing polarized sunglasses, but I had to check the sticker to confirm the color, because I thought it was black. Checked it out again yesterday on a bright sunny day, and I must say the color has grown on me, and my second choice was black, so it really splits the difference between the two.

Ahhh...Midnight Regatta Blue...memories...

It's funny we haven't seen any of the haters on this thread yet. This car is a winner. It might be the best family car that has ever been built. Sure, some won't like the styling, but styling is subjective. It's a handsome car and there is nothing to fault on it. A good engine, good transmission, excellent fuel economy for it's size, big trunk, roomy interior, new interior materials and safety is top notch. As long as build quality and overall reliability are there, which I don't see why they wouldn't be, this might do a heck of a lot better then anyone has ever given it credit for. I cannot think of a better full-size family car for the money. Of course, now I probably opened a can of worms with the Panther fan club. :D