D37 (Mazda version) Specs..

igor

Looks good, although for 18HP more, wouldn't it been easier to just give it DI and bump it to a bit more than that, rather than increasing displacement ?

Seems like DI costs a pretty penny and may have required higher octane. Enlarging the Bore (or maybe stroke) on the d35 was originally described by a design manager (or someone who knew it) as being as simple as flipping a switch. So this was probably a cost conscious way to separate the brands.

WTF?! I thought the D37 was going to be a Lincoln EXCLUSIVE power plant, you know, to give them SOMETHING more than their Ford and Mazda stablemates. :banghead:

I understand where you're coming from Admiral, however, I think we should remember that we are car guys and therefore, not normal. lol

To your average purchaser of cars on the order of Lincoln it likely won't make a difference, they don't buy the cars to try and outrun everyone on the road. Hot Rod Lincoln was just a song guys. They are more interested in the level of good fit and finish, features and options, comfortable seats, quiet and smooth ride and so on.

WTF?! I thought the D37 was going to be a Lincoln EXCLUSIVE power plant, you know, to give them SOMETHING more than their Ford and Mazda stablemates. :banghead:

Wish if it stopped at Mazda, Ford will shove it in every RWD car/SUV they get their hands on. I am with you on this one.

Hot Rod Lincoln isn't just a song, the K-Series were one of the fastest vehicles in the WORLD in their era.

Something Lincoln can never dream of doing now.......

Wish if it stopped at Mazda, Ford will shove it in every RWD car/SUV they get their hands on. I am with you on this one.

Hot Rod Lincoln isn't just a song, the K-Series were one of the fastest vehicles in the WORLD in their era.

Something Lincoln can never dream of doing now.......

I thought the lincoln version would get DI? Maybe we can still hope for a more powerful and exclusive 3.7 in the mks

Well guys, given that we live in an age where you can plug a computer into an ECM and "BAM" instant horsepower. It is entirely possible the Lincoln could be afforded a hp advantage over the rest of the 3.7 lineup. But I still say it won't make a bit of difference to the vast majority of Lincoln customers.

Someone on the GMI forum mentioned that the original estimate for the D35 was 250 hp. I'll wait until the numbers come out. Besides, the auto rags still say the Taurus is 260 hp when Ford now says 263 a la MKZ. All I am saying as long as it doesn't haul like a pig, I am happy.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a DI Lincoln version at launch, even though I wish all versions were DI yesterday. Who can argue with a more efficient engine with more horsepower AND torque. Sure it costs more, but the new Duratec family is bare-bones in regards to power add ons -- so DI shouldn't break the bank. DI is the way to go, I just wish Ford would be the first to truely mass market the technology.

Well, I can't say that I'm that surprised with the D37 numbers. It looks to be about where I thought the N/A non-GDI 3.7L would be on regular unleaded. I think that many of you will agree with me when I say that the D37 needs to replace the D35 in the SUV applications of the engine. The edge performs well enough with the D35 to be sure, but, the D37 would make it that much better, I think. I do believe that the Taurus X and the Flex almost HAVE to have the D37 as their powerplants as they are even heavier IIRC than the edge. Same goes for the CX-9 (which really seems to do well with the D35). The cars can carry on with the D35 as far as I am concerned. IT likely offers a better efficiency option.

As far as the MkS is concerned, I think that if it was offered with just the intro version of the D37, that would be more than sufficient for the target audience. Especially if there is a more powerful version available as an option. That would cover all the bases.

The D37, as rumored, is competitive in its local group of like engines. Within 10% of its specs, you have over half of the engines in that size class. Of the outliers on the high side, they universally make that power on Premium fuel and with intelligent variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust with a more complex intake arrangements and some sort of variable backpressure on the exhaust. Those are all expensive add ons. It will make a fine base pickup engine as well (technically speaking, it will be as good as all but the big blocks that were available in the 1980s in trucks). So, in context, and again, compared to the competition, its a good base pickup engine.

Well, I can't say that I'm that surprised with the D37 numbers. It looks to be about where I thought the N/A non-GDI 3.7L would be on regular unleaded. I think that many of you will agree with me when I say that the D37 needs to replace the D35 in the SUV applications of the engine. The edge performs well enough with the D35 to be sure, but, the D37 would make it that much better, I think. I do believe that the Taurus X and the Flex almost HAVE to have the D37 as their powerplants as they are even heavier IIRC than the edge. Same goes for the CX-9 (which really seems to do well with the D35). The cars can carry on with the D35 as far as I am concerned. IT likely offers a better efficiency option.

As far as the MkS is concerned, I think that if it was offered with just the intro version of the D37, that would be more than sufficient for the target audience. Especially if there is a more powerful version available as an option. That would cover all the bases.

The D37, as rumored, is competitive in its local group of like engines. Within 10% of its specs, you have over half of the engines in that size class. Of the outliers on the high side, they universally make that power on Premium fuel and with intelligent variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust with a more complex intake arrangements and some sort of variable backpressure on the exhaust. Those are all expensive add ons. It will make a fine base pickup engine as well (technically speaking, it will be as good as all but the big blocks that were available in the 1980s in trucks). So, in context, and again, compared to the competition, its a good base pickup engine.

I'm very troubled that, although the MKS is going to get delayed ANOTHER six months, and not hit the market until February 2008, and STILL not have the right engine at launch. 280hp as the only available engine just ain't gonna cut it, especially considering the competition's base engines will have 300hp. If the DI V6 is going to bring at least 310-320hp when it debuts a year later, that's ok, but if it's only going to match the competition a year after debut, that just isn't acceptable. I'm equally disturbed that the Turbo V6 is only going to have 350hp, when the competing V8's will have at least 400 by then.

I do believe that the Taurus X and the Flex almost HAVE to have the D37 as their powerplants as they are even heavier IIRC than the edge.

Actually the Taurus X is lighter than the edge.

AWD: 4112 vs. 4282

FWD: 3959 vs. 4073

The Taurus X is surprisingly efficient compared to the competition. I looked at the Pilot, Acadia and CX-9 and it is about 300-500 lbs. lighter than all of them. This translates to better fuel economy. And no sacrifice on safety either, the Insurance Institute just named it the safest mid sized SUV.

I'm very troubled that, although the MKS is going to get delayed ANOTHER six months, and not hit the market until February 2008, and STILL not have the right engine at launch. 280hp as the only available engine just ain't gonna cut it, especially considering the competition's base engines will have 300hp. If the DI V6 is going to bring at least 310-320hp when it debuts a year later, that's ok, but if it's only going to match the competition a year after debut, that just isn't acceptable. I'm equally disturbed that the Turbo V6 is only going to have 350hp, when the competing V8's will have at least 400 by then.

The limiting issue is transmissions for TT 3.5L V6 in FWD and AWD applications

I am with you wescoent. How long does ford take to do something right. You would think after the debut of the 500 and the negative press that it recieved for being underpowered that ford would learn from this. It seems odd that they can't have this ready for spring of 2008. I will admit I don't know a whole lot about the process of developing and engine from conception to production but the length of time it seems to be taking has me concerned.

Cadillac has its direct injection V6 coming out this fall and at this rate Ford will be 2 years behind atleast on that front. Just once I would like to be able to say that Ford is doing something on the technology front before the other domestics in reguards to powertrains. I am not asking them to beat out BMW or Lexus.

Thanks always to Blue II for the info even if as late it seems like its bad news.

Edited by DonL

I was expecting more, why even bother for a couple measly horsepower? Wasn't thye 3.7 supposed to debut with 300? I guess this makes the MKS exactly what I worried it would be, just a re-badged Taurus, not something that should be Lincoln's flagship for Christ's sake!!

They could have it out this fall with the DI 3.7, Ford just likes to wait to see what the competition is doing before they act, that's why they hardly ever make improvements in things like engines, by the time they decide to do something, itusually gets canned since it's part of an old plan that they no longer want to go with.

"Bold" moves!!

That phrase will haunt Ford forever.. :banghead: