2008 Focus

Yeah, I do not get the US 2008 Focus. It is ugly in every pic I've seen. It still has NO rear seat headrests. No hatchback, no 5-door... just a sedan. Exactly who is this going to be marketed to?

If the US 2008 Focus were a movie, it'd be one of those lame sequels sold "direct to DVD." So this puppy may as well end up being sold direct to fleet & skip the humiliation.

I'm seriously confused by that thing, why?..... when a beautiful "kinetic design" Focus is just 3000 miles to the right!

I pray this is a devious setup for a kinetic design/ global 'revolution' in Ford C-Cars 2-3 years down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

If there ever was a recent car designed by a committee - this is it

The current car at least has cohesiveness to it - even a little grace

The next focus looks like every department had an idea without seeing what the others where doing

Of course there was a great starting place a few hours across the pond but Ford must not talk with those people

Come on Ford - just what do you have against us here? Huh?

Looks - Looks - Looks!!!

Sorry but Mrs. Suburbanite doesn't want a station wagon, she wants a 'soft ute'. And the "Mr." wants a truck/SUV. So, bye bye Focus wagon.

The hatches were not bought by enough 'Europhiles' either.

But if Ford could bring a future C2 based CUV when it comes around, then it would sell.

There are a couple major issues with the Focus that stop it from being what it can be given its current state:

1) Lack of rear-head rests.

2) 4-speed automatic (although admittedly, it's not the standard in the class, but I guarantee you the 2009 Corolla will have a 5-speed or 6-speed auto)

3) No halo ST version

There are a couple issues that some might consider a road block. For me it is those awful side vents. The rest of the car looks fine to me, but those faux side vents are painful.

There are certainly some nice to haves that I wish Ford could have done.

1) Hatchbacks. The wagon might not be necessary, but the hatchbacks were unique. Unique is good. I suppose there was a very good monetary reason not to keep them. Wagon would have been nice, though.

2) Sleeker coupe design. The coupe is just a two-door sedan body. The Civic is a good example of how to differentiate your sport model.

There are some things that are promising. Suspension upgrades (but no rear anti-roll bar on the S and SE? - ok, maybe I can buy that), engine upgrades (although apparently not the PZEV), the interior (I just need to sit in it and feel things, but it looks good at least) and NVH reduction (the best change and the thing I dislike most about my car).

To me it feels like another 80% job, similar to the Escape (except the design is questionable). I have no doubt that it will be initially successful and is probably a decent car, but the 2008 Fit is coming soon and could be an embarassing hit to this Focus, especially considering it's in a lower class and the 2009 Corolla will blow this thing away.

What Ford needs is a quick 2009 update similar to what I hope they will do with the Escape and its new engines/tranny - give it the new smaller 6-speed auto (or at least a 5-speed from somewhere), the new 2.5L engine for an ST version (and maybe an upscale, non-sport version?) and head-rests in the rear (I'd love to see the faux vents go too). Get that done, and it might actually sell well without all of that $2,500 on the hood.

There are a couple major issues with the Focus that stop it from being what it can be given its current state:

1) Lack of rear-head rests.

2) 4-speed automatic (although admittedly, it's not the standard in the class, but I guarantee you the 2009 Corolla will have a 5-speed or 6-speed auto)

3) No halo ST version

There are a couple issues that some might consider a road block. For me it is those awful side vents. The rest of the car looks fine to me, but those faux side vents are painful.

There are certainly some nice to haves that I wish Ford could have done.

1) Hatchbacks. The wagon might not be necessary, but the hatchbacks were unique. Unique is good. I suppose there was a very good monetary reason not to keep them. Wagon would have been nice, though.

2) Sleeker coupe design. The coupe is just a two-door sedan body. The Civic is a good example of how to differentiate your sport model.

There are some things that are promising. Suspension upgrades (but no rear anti-roll bar on the S and SE? - ok, maybe I can buy that), engine upgrades (although apparently not the PZEV), the interior (I just need to sit in it and feel things, but it looks good at least) and NVH reduction (the best change and the thing I dislike most about my car).

To me it feels like another 80% job, similar to the Escape (except the design is questionable). I have no doubt that it will be initially successful and is probably a decent car, but the 2008 Fit is coming soon and could be an embarassing hit to this Focus, especially considering it's in a lower class and the 2009 Corolla will blow this thing away.

What Ford needs is a quick 2009 update similar to what I hope they will do with the Escape and its new engines/tranny - give it the new smaller 6-speed auto (or at least a 5-speed from somewhere), the new 2.5L engine for an ST version (and maybe an upscale, non-sport version?) and head-rests in the rear (I'd love to see the faux vents go too). Get that done, and it might actually sell well without all of that $2,500 on the hood.

Why are you so focused on rear head rests? Who cares. You must get rear ended a lot and carry around a lot of rear seat passengers in small car. And for a car you can buy for about $14,000, who cares if it has more than 4 forward gears, especially if it gets high 30's on highway. The Focus is a great handling vehicle and it has IRS which is astounding for such a cheap car. It also stops in short distance even with rear drum brakes. Keep it simple, cheap, and good looking and it will sell well with hopefully modest incentives. I remember when Ford sold every Tempo it could make, and then spent $6 billion on Contour that cost $5,000 more and killed the golden goose. All they had to do was modernize the popular Tempo and they could have kept selling everyone they could make. Again, nice job on Focus Ford if price is about same. They will sell like hotcakes as Escape is doing. Value and looks are key and whenever Ford strays from it roots it pays.

Why are you so focused on rear head rests? Who cares. You must get rear ended a lot and carry around a lot of rear seat passengers in small car. And for a car you can buy for about $14,000, who cares if it has more than 4 forward gears, especially if it gets high 30's on highway. The Focus is a great handling vehicle and it has IRS which is astounding for such a cheap car. It also stops in short distance even with rear drum brakes. Keep it simple, cheap, and good looking and it will sell well with hopefully modest incentives. I remember when Ford sold every Tempo it could make, and then spent $6 billion on Contour that cost $5,000 more and killed the golden goose. All they had to do was modernize the popular Tempo and they could have kept selling everyone they could make. Again, nice job on Focus Ford if price is about same. They will sell like hotcakes as Escape is doing. Value and looks are key and whenever Ford strays from it roots it pays.

Fordbuyer you are the perfect Ford of America consumer. Low demands.

Going by the pics of the next gen Focus - the body has an overall ODD SHAPE.

There are too many design directions at once - a no no no in design language.

Some of it seems relatively easy to fix.

Because this is a new launch, I think it is extremely important to get the feeling RIGHT FROM THE START.

There is just too much competitive foundation not to.

Make this one a slam dunk - no excuse launch!

Ummm, this line of thinking REALLY sounds like what got Ford into its current mess. They need to stay ahead of the competition, not gleefully manage to stay waaay behind.

The people who don't care about vehicle specs usually ask knowledgeable folks for car buying advice. Are thos folks gonna recommend a lesser vehicle? PROBABLY NOT.

I tell everyone I know my V-Dub Rabbit kicks butt (for the price), and I also tell everyone I know to check out the Fusion & Taurus.

This is what I would like to ask of Ford---

Mr. Top Level Ford Executive,

Why don't you invite some of us long time, many, many Ford products buyers AND us very interested people to a discussion about what we think, want and desire in Ford products.

Not a short session where we answer some pre-set script questions - but a REAL discussion about what makes a car or truck desirable and what makes it a thing you just gotta have.

Well, why don't you?

I bet it would make some heads spin. But in it would be some keys to running with and then running away from the real or imagined leaders in the business.

Why don't you invite some of us long time, many, many Ford products buyers AND us very interested people to a discussion about what we think, want and desire in Ford products.

Not a short session where we answer some pre-set script questions - but a REAL discussion about what makes a car or truck desirable and what makes it a thing you just gotta have.

Well, why don't you?

I bet it would make some heads spin. But in it would be some keys to running with and then running away from the real or imagined leaders in the business.

I know i'd be willing to do this for sure!

Well, why don't you?

Self proclaimed experts on the internet give themselves way too much credit on how to run things...a great example is the new Escape...people here where bashing it for not looking different enough and the carry over powertrains, yet since its release its had some its best selling months EVER! I'm sure for the most part, Ford knows what its doing when its aiming for the mass market not the fringe group that visits here...

While I'm not impressed with the 08 Focus from what I've seen so far, let me see what it looks like in person. The interior looks pretty good and Sync is a must have for me on my next car. And we'll have to see how the sales numbers are after launch too...

I tell everyone I know my V-Dub Rabbit kicks butt (for the price), and I also tell everyone I know to check out the Fusion & Taurus.

And the V-Dub GTI kicks big fucking ass while attracting admiring stares from everyone in sight. Since I am used to driving a Cavalier I don't know how to act being slightly uncomfortable with the attention. It garners the kind of respect a five star general gets...

Damn that little car is quick! You literally feel it in your stomach when you floor it. It is absolutely the most fun and best handling car I have ever driven...

I feel absolutely spoiled when I drive it...

Self proclaimed experts on the internet give themselves way too much credit on how to run things...a great example is the new Escape...people here where bashing it for not looking different enough and the carry over powertrains, yet since its release its had some its best selling months EVER! I'm sure for the most part, Ford knows what its doing when its aiming for the mass market not the fringe group that visits here...

While I'm not impressed with the 08 Focus from what I've seen so far, let me see what it looks like in person. The interior looks pretty good and Sync is a must have for me on my next car. And we'll have to see how the sales numbers are after launch too...

Huh?

A self proclaimed expert?

I am a self proclaimed consumer.

I was not discussing the new Escape.

I was discussing the next Focus.

Ford knows what its doing? In every case? With every single detail? With every single launch?

I am mass market.

I am fringe.

Your are not impressed with the 08 Focus.

Neither am I.

Wait to see what it looks like in person?

Wait to see how sales numbers are after launch?

That... may be a little late.

Oh- and I suppose your thousands of posts makes you an expert-

and of course my few posts makes me...

well... never mind.

I was not questioning the Escape. I don't think I have much to this point. The Escape's styling, in my opinion, is exactly what the market needed/wanted. The powertrains are tired, but I know they are getting replaced next year (and we've pretty much known that from the start). The interior isn't bad either. The suspension and steering could use a slight tweak to make the vehicle feel a little more sure-footed and connected, but other than that, even the drive is very good in this car. The Escape really only lacks maybe some updated materials and new engines and could be stellar.

Right now, the Escape sells on emotion. There are also a lot of Escape owners trading up to a new one. They haven't had a significantly new body in a while. Ultimately, emotion and trade-ins from loyal customers are driving the Escape sales, but I would not claim that it is the best effort we could have seen. It certainly has all the features and most of the touches needed to make a good entry-level SUV. Ford will get 97% of the way there next year with the new engines. But, sales alone don't mean that Ford built a product that can or will change its image in the eyes of non-Ford customers; the ones that are important to Ford's survival.

The Focus is a bit different. Yes, you need an emotional design. Something that's a bit distinctive, which I can certainly say this Focus is. But, the compact segment is moving upscale a little bit now that people want fuel efficiency. And there are aspects of the 2008 Focus that reach there, but then there are huge gaffes that scream cheap tweenie car - and a not entirely attractive one at that.

Don't get me wrong, other than a new transmission, I don't think the Focus will need much of anything else from a drivetrain perspective for a couple years. I think an engine option would be good as a halo car, but certainly it is not required (the Corolla has survived without one for years now).

What is lacking are the aspects that would give the Focus credibility. Those vents make the design look haphazard at best (although, I have yet to see the base models that lack them, so I only assume it will look better). Smaller, sportier vents might look good. But these look lifted from a car or SUV twice the Focus's size (see the LR2). The coupe doesn't look nearly as exciting as the Civic coupe. It's trying to be half sedan, almost. The hatchbacks, which were popular with enthusiasts and acted almost as a halo by themselves, are gone completely. As far as features, it's great that you can get sync, but you can find simple safety things such as headrests in such competitors as the Corolla and Civic. The dash layout looks impressive, although just slightly over the top (the amount of silver is just a bit much - Ford should take notes on how Toyota uses it in their Scion vehicles). Also importantly, though, if you're targeting the young tweenie market, the ability to do mods on sound system would seem to be limited. I hope Ford is preparing a few great exterior mod packages.

Now, not having a removable audio system I think could be forgiven if some of the other things were there. Or, you could probably survive with a less than striking coupe if you could make mods and had simpler dash design. But the language of this vehicle is conflicted throughout in my opinion. And it is my opinion. But I assume that I am Ford's target demographic and, as importantly, I own a Focus. And, if I haven't driven this point home yet, at this point, I don't think I could buy a Focus like the 2008 as it stands.

But, just like the Escape, I assume that the Focus's sales in the first 4-8 months will be ok because Focus drivers haven't had a really new Focus to buy in a while. But just like the Escape, even if sales are good, it doesn't mean that Ford is changing the perceptions of those who would never consider a Ford Focus or that the Focus is a home run update. The real test of a vehicle is how it sells after 12-18 months on the market, and I can't see this vehicle doing that well. And, unlike the Escape, I don't know of anything coming in the future for the Focus at this point that would change that analysis of it. I hope I'm wrong...

Having seen the Focus in person at the Nashville auto show, let me just add that Focus05 is right in my estimation. Doing away with the 2.3 engine was also a mistake as far as I'm concerned. It's fine to have the 2.0 but they should also offer the 2.3 as a slightly better performance option. Frankly, given that the Mazda 3 is getting 25 and 36 out of that motor I see no reason for Ford not to offer it. Mazda also offers a 2.0 version in the 3 so there is precedent here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, doing away with the hatchback was a mistake. Ford seriously underestimated the popularity of hatchbacks on the American market. Not really surprising though given both Ford and GM's absolutely abismal track record of understanding where customer tastes are and are going. They should fire their entire demographics departments respectively and just ask Honda and Toyota at this point.

Gas prices aren't coming down anytime soon, if ever, so focus is right, people are shopping small fuel efficient cars again and in that vein many of them would like a small car that is also well appointed. The Mazda 3 does this pretty well, it's just too bad Ford can't learn from it's own corporate cousin. They will be late to the dance once again and will arrive to find their sweetheart dancing with the other guy.

I don't doubt that doing away with the hatchback will lower sales, however I myself wouldn't buy the hatchback that is currently offered. The only hatchback I personally have liked was the Protege5. Styling, on the other hand seems to me to be a home run. This is miles ahead of the Civic, the ugliness of which hasn't been seen since the Pontiac Aztek and the PT Cruiser. The Corolla is so boring looking, I think I am still 60 years too young to buy one.

But the 2008 Focus Coupe..... I have to say this is one of my favorite cars out there, drum brakes and all.

I say home run, 750% better than the 00-04 Foci.

Edited by ibinubu12

If you check out 2008 Focus order guide you will notice FoA has decided to decontent the ugly brute to the point that a base Foci should be cheaper price then a Yaris.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...e=post&id=4308

ABS optional

Traction control optional

Want heated seats, you must order leather seats

You want rear floor mats in the Coupe, "go fish"

You want rear stablizer bars, "optional SE deluxe package" (Isn't one of the main selling points of the Focus Dynamics?)

You want fog lights, order a package

Telescopic Steering "go fish"

Rear Head restraints "go fish"

Yes I know now a bunch of you will start saying and comparing that the Civic does not have this and the Corolla doesn't offer this. So what, if Ford wants the Focus to gain some credibility, don't you think it is time for FoAmerica starts to lead instead of just hanging in there?

It will be interesting to see if this 2008 thing with the Focus name plate stuck on it, will be able to compete with its C-segment rivals, or will it still be crossed shopped with the B-segment.

Also curious to see if this car will register as a Focus to the consumers, being that the design language does not resemble (except the greenhouse) any Focus be it the international or American Focus.

Edited by MKII

If you check out 2008 Focus order guide you will notice FoA has decided to decontent the ugly brute to the point that a base Foci should be cheaper price then a Yaris.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...e=post&id=4308

ABS optional

Traction control optional

Want heated seats, you must order leather seats

You want rear floor mats in the Coupe, "go fish"

You want rear stablizer bars, "optional SE deluxe package" (Isn't one of the main selling points of the Focus Dynamics?)

You want fog lights, order a package

Telescopic Steering "go fish"

Rear Head restraints "go fish"

Yes I know now a bunch of you will start saying and comparing that the Civic does not have this and the Corolla doesn't offer this. So what, if Ford wants the Focus to gain some credibility, don't you think it is time for FoAmerica starts to lead instead of just hanging in there?

It will be interesting to see if this 2008 thing with the Focus name plate stuck on it, will be able to compete with its C-segment rivals, or will it still be crossed shopped with the B-segment.

Also curious to see if this car will register as a Focus to the consumers, being that the design language does not resemble (except the greenhouse) any Focus be it the international or American Focus.

so Ford should offer a C-car for B-car prices with CD-car equipment?

hmm ....

and yes - if Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, Lancer, Cobalt, Spectra and Elantra do not offer something .. it would be NICE if Ford offered it, but REQUIRING Ford to offer it is .. ehm . .DUMB ..

As always - Compacts are to be cheap .. the important thing is to offer OPTIONS for people to build their car UP to their image .. the base has to be cut price low budget .. there will always be people looking for a $11k Compact .. and if Ford does not offer it, they will go to Kia ... and for those wanting ABS and TC and rear stabilizer bar, Ford will still offer it for cheaper than competition .. the only blatant omission I see are the rear headrests .. the tire inflation kit is also risky.

Igor

so Ford should offer a C-car for B-car prices with CD-car equipment?

Igor

No, Ford should offer a C-car that can compete in the C-car segment. If all compacts must be cheap as you stated, then who in the hell is purchasing all those Civics, Corollas, Mazda3 etc.

Why must the low cost Focus be a settle for vehicle in America, whereas it is the leader in the international market. The C170 Focus is not weak when it comes to available options , which you wrote "the important thing is to offer OPTIONS for people to build their car UP to their image". So it must be that the image of the American Focus is that it does not compete against its rivals in its segment, and must be sold at a loss.

So your point is if the consumer wants a $11k compact, try Focus or Kia, because Ford is quite happy to build and sell a cheap C-segment compact and lose money on it selling at a B-segement price?

Now that is (how would you put it) ehm "DUMB"