Taurus X

Now that the Taurus is launching and is arriving in force on dealer lots, when is the Taurus X going to arrive? I know it was going to launch a little bit later and I saw Allan riding in one out of the factory a week or two ago. This car could be big for Ford since the brand does not have a non Explorer/Expedition 6-7 passenger vehicle, and won't have another for a year (the Flex). Any info? I can't wait until I can see the Taurus X on the lot and get the brochure.

Now that the Taurus is launching and is arriving in force on dealer lots, when is the Taurus X going to arrive? I know it was going to launch a little bit later and I saw Allan riding in one out of the factory a week or two ago. This car could be big for Ford since the brand does not have a non Explorer/Expedition 6-7 passenger vehicle, and won't have another for a year (the Flex). Any info? I can't wait until I can see the Taurus X on the lot and get the brochure.

I suspect with the 3.5 engine the Taurus X will be much better recieved. It's only hold back being it's price tag. There's just not a large customer base for vehciles north of the 27 grand range and most of those that can spend in that ball park don't typically consider a Ford car.

I suspect with the 3.5 engine the Taurus X will be much better recieved. It's only hold back being it's price tag. There's just not a large customer base for vehciles north of the 27 grand range and most of those that can spend in that ball park don't typically consider a Ford car.

They do spend that on a Ford suv. This will mainly pick up suv owners who want better fuel economy and prevent them from switching brands.

They do spend that on a Ford suv. This will mainly pick up suv owners who want better fuel economy and prevent them from switching brands.

Possibly so atom, let's hope so. I think we all know that one of the reasons Ford Explorers and Expeditions sold well was because you could buy one for less than a 4 Runner or Land Cruiser and still get a good vehicle. However with gas prices as they are, perhaps these buyers will consider the Taurus X. Only time will tell.

Wow, talk about a topic going off topic!!!! When is the Taurus X arriving at dealerships? Lets stop being ADD people.

LOL! Yeah, it sure took a sharp left turn and down a dead end street. I have an X on order myself and would like to see some more information on it besides the same dozen or so pictures that have been circulating for months now and the limited information.

My experience has been similar to 2000SableWagon's. We looked at 8 different vehicles from 6 different manufacturers, including those he mentions, and came to the same conclusion. The Taurus X is about the best balanced package between size, cost, fuel economy and features. I hope Ford realizes what it has here and re-launches the Taurus X with a lot harder sales pitch than they gave the Freestyle.

Next time you're out and about, count up the number of cars north of 27K that have a Ford emblem on them, then come back and talk to me.

During a recent visit, I'd say better than half the inventories of both Bob Turner's Ford and Rich Ford here in New Mexico were at or above that...your point?

Fusion

Mustang

Taurus

Explorer

Expedition

Edge

F-150

I've never seen a Fusion north of 27K, more like 25 loaded

Mustang only gets north of 27 K in the GT trim, they sell more V6's

Taurus does get north of 27K

The rest of the vehicles on your list are not cars my friend, they are SUV's and pickups and as such are typically priced higher than the sedan offerings of a given manufacturer.

Recall that I posted

Next time you're out and about, count up the number of cars north of 27K that have a Ford emblem on them, then come back and talk to me.

Combine that with.

Possibly so atom, let's hope so. I think we all know that one of the reasons Ford Explorers and Expeditions sold well was because you could buy one for less than a 4 Runner or Land Cruiser and still get a good vehicle. However with gas prices as they are, perhaps these buyers will consider the Taurus X. Only time will tell.

When you start pricing a Ford sedan north of 27K you are pricing them pretty close to Lincoln territory as well as a myriad of other luxury sedans such as Acura, BMW, Lexus, and so on. At that point most customers that are looking to spend that kind of money on a car are not likely to opt for one with a blue oval. Even if it is just a perception issue, it is the reality of the market. I understand that the next thing you're going to say is that the Taurus X is not a sedan. I know, it's a station wagon. It's the station wagon version of the Taurus. Save the argument about it being a crossover. In the eyes of the vast majority of buyers it's a station wagon. I'd bet good money in fact that on the lots, salesmen will pitch them as the station wagon version of the Taurus.

I've never seen a Fusion north of 27K, more like 25 loaded

Mustang only gets north of 27 K in the GT trim, they sell more V6's

Taurus does get north of 27K

The rest of the vehicles on your list are not cars my friend, they are SUV's and pickups and as such are typically priced higher than the sedan offerings of a given manufacturer.

Recall that I posted

Combine that with.

When you start pricing a Ford sedan north of 27K you are pricing them pretty close to Lincoln territory as well as a myriad of other luxury sedans such as Acura, BMW, Lexus, and so on. At that point most customers that are looking to spend that kind of money on a car are not likely to opt for one with a blue oval. Even if it is just a perception issue, it is the reality of the market. I understand that the next thing you're going to say is that the Taurus X is not a sedan. I know, it's a station wagon. It's the station wagon version of the Taurus. Save the argument about it being a crossover. In the eyes of the vast majority of buyers it's a station wagon. I'd bet good money in fact that on the lots, salesmen will pitch them as the station wagon version of the Taurus.

Blackhorse seems to be one of the many on this board apparently stuck in 1990. I'll point out for the umpteenth time, and pay attention this time everybody:

THE AVERAGE TRANSACTION PRICE ON A NEW CAR IN THE UNITED STATES IS NOW CLOSE TO $26,000!!!

So get off your wacky tobacky and stop complaining that the Taurus X barely costs more than the average car.

Thank you for listening.

In the eyes of the vast majority of buyers it's a station wagon. I'd bet good money in fact that on the lots, salesmen will pitch them as the station wagon version of the Taurus.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Most everyone I've talked to that as either looked at purchasing or has purchased a Freestyle, considered it an SUV. There are people in this thread that say they cross-shopped the Taurus X against other SUVs. Your opinion may be that the it's Taurus station wagon but I don't believe that opinion is shared by many others.

I stand corrected in terms of the additon of SUVs. I should have paid more attention.

What you should have done, before you attempted to correct me was do a little bit of research. The sticker on my Fusion, which doesn't have NAV/Sat Radio/Heated Seats/AWD was over $26K. An AWD Limited Taurus starts north of $28K. V-6 Mustangs can be priced above the $27K watermark. So I have no idea as to what you are talking about.

And yes a fully loaded Taurus is going to cost you 34K, but at that price point you would be looking at entry level luxury sedans that are for the most part smaller than a Fusion and rather scant on the option checklist. Everyone does not have an agenda to own a luxury car which in most cases costs more to maintain/insure, commands a much higher price tag when comaribly equipped and offers very little space.

Lets see under <30K: you get an Acura TSX, an A3 and a stripped FWD Audi A4 (goody). The bulk of these cars start north of 30K again with nothing in terms of options.

THE AVERAGE TRANSACTION PRICE ON A NEW CAR IN THE UNITED STATES IS NOW CLOSE TO $26,000!!!

So get off your wacky tobacky and stop complaining that the Taurus X barely costs more than the average car.

I think you need to do some research before you smack your big dumb ass mouth anyway.

A new car is second only to a home as the most expensive purchase many consumers make. According to the National Automobile Dealers Association, the average price of a new car sold in the United States is $28,400.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/newcar.shtm

See how easy that was Nicky. No big annoying font, no need to act like a dick.

What these numbers don't tell you is that they are combining the price tags from highest to lowest and across the entire spectrum of vehicles. It's a very skewed number. If you seriously believe your average car buyer is going to lay down 30 grand or so for a Ford car when they could get the nicer Lincoln for the same money then you're the only one smoking some shit around here. In the case of the Taurus sedan at 27 or 28 K, I can honestly see them going ahead with it because it offers some luxury car content at a lower price. We'll just have to see about the Taurus X, I'm not sure how it's going to do and it has a higher entry level price.

Blackhorse, I see what you're saying about the price, and yes it is apalling, but since x-overs are replacing suv's it seems logical that manufacturers will price them as such, most likely simply to regain the profits of suv's. And while the X's specific type of vehicle is up for debate here, Ford is definately pitching it as a cuv (obviously, just check the website), and my understanding is most consumers see it as different enough from the taurus to call it one. But thats where the debate lies, as you said time will tell....but I feel the expensive suv trend will be replaced by the expensive cuv trend (edge isnt cheap either).

Plus since the taurus is there already, why couldn't the X be there as well, I'm sure it will offere the same interior quality and options.

Matt Damon....

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti

I think you need to do some research before you smack your big dumb ass mouth anyway.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/newcar.shtm

See how easy that was Nicky. No big annoying font, no need to act like a dick.

What these numbers don't tell you is that they are combining the price tags from highest to lowest and across the entire spectrum of vehicles. It's a very skewed number. If you seriously believe your average car buyer is going to lay down 30 grand or so for a Ford car when they could get the nicer Lincoln for the same money then you're the only one smoking some shit around here. In the case of the Taurus sedan at 27 or 28 K, I can honestly see them going ahead with it because it offers some luxury car content at a lower price. We'll just have to see about the Taurus X, I'm not sure how it's going to do and it has a higher entry level price.

Yes a nicer Lincoln, without any options. It makes no sense to purcase/lease a luxury car that way, unless you brought it for the badge.......which is a whole different topic.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Agreed MERKUR, only time will tell. We'll just have to see how things turn out. I wish them all the best because I think the Tuarus X is pretty cool. Michael, I'm well aware that you can load up a V6 Mustang and get the price tag over 27K, but honestly man if I ever meet the guy that purposely bought a V6 Mustang and paid over 27K for it I'm just going to pass out laughing at the fool. More than likely real life will prevent him from buying one because it's probably next to impossible to find a 27K + V6 Mustang on a lot. You'd probably have to order it. Very much the exception to the rule my friend and you know it.