Kuga and C-Max to come to US with C2 Focus

igor

Too bad you know absolutely nothing about anything that your talking about....oh well...

At their current cash burn rate, the company will be history unless they begin to turn profits large enough to offset the interest payments on their debts. They don't have the ability to wait until 2011 or 2012 for truly competitive entries in the small car and small SUV segments. Given current sales trends, high incentive rates, looming US government fuel economy regulations, and the staleness of much of the product line, the prognosis is not especially sunny.

At their current cash burn rate, the company will be history unless they begin to turn profits large enough to offset the interest payments on their debts. They don't have the ability to wait until 2011 or 2012 for truly competitive entries in the small car and small SUV segments. Given current sales trends, high incentive rates, looming US government fuel economy regulations, and the staleness of much of the product line, the prognosis is not especially sunny.

you know nothing about what they have on hand now, what they will have on hand, what their CURRENT cash burn rate is, or how much money they could generate from the sale of assets to survive...like I said...you really no nothing...about as much as i do...about the subject....

Sigh,

The debts are covered by customer payments to Ford Credit, what's more they're indexed for inflation.

By 2008, Ford will achieve a recurring world wide internal savings of $5 Billion,

that means it happens every year from 2008 on.

World wide last year, Ford has $160 Billion in sales, a 5% operating profit = $8 Billion.

It's not how much, it's how much you keep. Ford will stop bleeding cash, but it necessary to do so now.

Edited by jpd80

Sigh,

The debts are covered by customer payments to Ford Credit, what's more they're indexed for inflation.

By 2008, Ford will achieve a recurring world wide internal savings of $5 Billion,

that means it happens every year from 2008 on.

World wide last year, Ford has $160 Billion in sales, a 5% operating profit = $8 Billion.

It's not how much, it's how much you keep. Ford will stop bleeding cash, but it necessary to do so now.

According to The Economist, the $5 billion annual savings is based on cost-cutting and gaining an additional 1% of US market share.

http://economist.com/business/displaystory...tory_id=9340041

But market share is still falling:

"CAR SALES INDICATE BROADER TROUBLES" Detroit Free Press (MI)2007-07-14: 1A.NewsFile Collection By NewsbankOnline. Infoweb by Newsbank, Inc. July 24, 2007.

FLEET BUSINESS CUTS DON'T EXPLAIN DETROIT'S LOSSES

Despite popular new vehicles such as the GMC Acadia and Ford Edge, General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. continue losing their share of new car and truck buyers in dealer showrooms across America, according to the latest retail sales data provided exclusively to the Free Press by the Power Information Network.

... Ford's retail market share, meanwhile, dropped nearly a percentage point in the second quarter, to 14.4%, despite the fact that Ford leads the industry on incentive spending so far this year and has several popular, highly rated products in showrooms ...

And the $5 billion in annual savings may not be achieved. Cutting staff costs is not only concern. According to the Detroit News (Feb. 16, 2007), " The company hit its material cost reduction target for January, but will miss its targets for February and March by a wide margin, according to the current forecast" ("Ford Fix-It Plan Off-Track" by Bryce G. Hoffman).

Without new, genuinely competitive product in the showrooms in the next year or two, the cash burn will accelerate. The bottom line is that the company just can't wait until 2011 or 2012 to introduce products people want to buy in large numbers.

Hey Igor what auto transaxles are going to be used for C2?

I don't think the FN is going to cut .

BTW I will be buying a Focus in the fall or spring of 2010. If the Fiesta doesn't get me first.

I am pretty positive the Focus will debut with the PowerShift - the Fiesta is getting it .. albeit a simpler, I believe 5 speed version - but it will be a shiftable dual clutch auto .. I am pretty sure Focus will get the same thing.

If not, then I do not know.

Igor

Now I can' t believe that the 1989 corolla is the 2008 corolla.

The entire point of the post was to illustrate that Toyota is 'cheating' their allegedly all new models by disguising largely carryover structure (stretch & add bracing seems to be the mantra), similar to a common practice in the U.S in the 50s.

It really has nothing to do with the C170/C1.

Someone on the board suggested that the Corolla was 'all new' in 2000; my viewpoint is that it was at most, substantially updated in 2000. Just like the Camry/Avalon.

I am pretty positive the Focus will debut with the PowerShift - the Fiesta is getting it .. albeit a simpler, I believe 5 speed version - but it will be a shiftable dual clutch auto .. I am pretty sure Focus will get the same thing.

If not, then I do not know.

Igor

power shift is a rather bold move in such a mainstream crowd.

I still think we could benfit from low torque CVT design.

Will powershift be built on this contenent?

power shift is a rather bold move in such a mainstream crowd.

I still think we could benfit from low torque CVT design.

Will powershift be built on this contenent?

I would imagine it has a LITTLE to do with fuel economy. I'm understanding that the PowerShift will eliminate a lot of the friction associated with automatics, and therefore, improve fuel economy. The manual-shift capability is going to be nice.

I would imagine it has a LITTLE to do with fuel economy. I'm understanding that the PowerShift will eliminate a lot of the friction associated with automatics, and therefore, improve fuel economy. The manual-shift capability is going to be nice.

Do any other companies offer a PowerShift like option in this class of vehicles (if so, I'd think not many offer it)?

I'd say that's a Bold Move if nobody else or few offer a PowerShift transmission yet.

Do any other companies offer a PowerShift like option in this class of vehicles (if so, I'd think not many offer it)?

I'd say that's a Bold Move if nobody else or few offer a PowerShift transmission yet.

VW has it in the GTI/GLI

Igor

Yeah.. Do lack of Heavy Duty pickups, and RWD coupes (or anything 'sporty') at Toyota count? Does Honda have anything that can tow over 5,000 pounds? Every manufacturer has gaps.

The Ridgeline can, .....if you hook 2 of them together.

VW has it in the GTI/GLI

Igor

I wouldn't qualify the DSG as mainstream.

I will say that there is risk, in it beacuse it is soo new to this market.

will it creep?

will you need a to replace the clutch?

is it durable?

will it be smooth?

will the customer accept it?

But the Japanese don't have gaping holes in their lineups like uber-outdated compact cars and pickups or the complete lack of B-cars, so it's not quite as urgent for them to get the new products here. Ford is in a serious need of NEW product and continuously delaying them by a year compared to their overseas variants certainly doesn't help.

You're right.

I see the Japanese answer to the Mustang, Corvette, Heavy Duty Pickup. But then again, those are such small segment low dollar niche products.

I wouldn't qualify the DSG as mainstream.

I will say that there is risk, in it beacuse it is soo new to this market.

will it creep?

will you need a to replace the clutch?

is it durable?

will it be smooth?

will the customer accept it?

true true ... the whole Twin Force business is a risk .. and this just adds to it,, but I am quite delighted taking it ...

I hope they do well :D

Igor