JDPower Dependability Study

MGallun, if you can deny that by all means do it.

Guess it's easier to live in denial & bring out the torches, than face reality.

Fact of the matter is there's nothing to celebrate about a 3 point increase, especially when all you read here 24/7 is how much Honda and Toyota's quality sucks, is slipping, is in a freefall, etc. and then the latest facts come out and surprise, there's as much as a 50+ point gap between them and Ford in the most extensive, most important survey of all, the 3 year long VDS.

Then go buy a Honda or Toyota and then leave these message boards. It is apparent that no matter what Ford does you will not like it so really what is your point around here? Why do you waste so much time on a company that you dislike? I think everyone around here would like to know the answer. Did Ford royally screw you over or what?

Because I want to see them succeed. A lot of us called this long ago and everyone dismissed us. Well if you hate the words "I told you so" that much, then stop being so damn intolerant.

BTW who brought Alan or the turaround into this discussion? Wasn't me.

This still countsl under the watch of RJ's hero, Bill Jr. aka the martyr, the victim, etc. right Rich?

Save for their intentions of selling Volvo, both Alan and Mark are cool with me, remember they're the official BON grouches. The Anti-Bill Fords are in charge now and they are applying a lot of things we've been saying for ages Ford should do.

Edited by pcsario

Because I want to see them succeed. A lot of us called this long ago and everyone dismissed us. Well if you hate the words "I told you so" that much, then stop being so damn intolerant.

BTW who brought Alan or the turaround into this discussion? Wasn't me.

This still countsl under the watch of RJ's hero, Bill Jr. aka the martyr, the victim, etc. right Rich?

Save for their intentions of selling Volvo, both Alan and Mark are cool with me, remember they're the official BON grouches. The Anti-Bill Fords are in charge now and they are applying a lot of things we've been saying for ages.

Well then give some constructive criticism. You want them to improve their scores by 50 points. So how do they do that and still keep costs down? How do you know that the modern vehicle lines like the Fusion-Milan-MKZ, Taurus-Sable, new Expedition, etc. are not improved compared to the vehicles in this study?

and one last thing...what do you drive? honestly you must have the "perfect" vehicle so I would like to know what it is....

Edited by 2005Explorer

heres my take on these damn erroneous surveys......per 100 cars ford has what...2 and a 2 TENTHS problems per vehicle....what the HELL were the problems.???????.....could be a loose door panel for all we know....and another manufacturers 1 and 4 TENTHS problem could be a transmission....I mean WTF? we know nothing ...ZERO! seems to me the severity of the problem means nothing in these MINDLESS surveys....and hell even if ford was top of the heap PC would berate it anyway......if somehow one could correlate the cost of FIXING the problems the survey is BASED on then there would be some justification for "bragging" rights not BS pie charts and laser pointers with nothing but statistics.....

Edited by Deanh

no comeback PC? loss for words...or are you just waiting to counter a personal attack?...you really aren't interested in anything but are you? Getting obvious my friend.....change your game plan.........people are way too familiar with your MO.

The problems are probably fairly well spread, and would probably be tied more closely to know failures within an automobile. Alot of the problems are probably small from ALL of the automakers. The reality is that this is covering Ford vehicles from 2004. It won't include the D3's until next year and it won't include the CD3's until the year after. The real impact of Ford's program won't be seen until next year. It did not hit its peak in 2004, it just got moving finally in 2004. 2005 was a good step, but the real results will come when the 2009 dependability study emerges covering the 2006 models or the 2010 that covers the 2007 models.

pcsario is correct that for this group of cars, Ford was a little bit behind. However, his inference then that the new cars produced by Ford fit this same mold is completely wrong. The real problem is, he is just like the dumb consumers who could misinterpret this as Ford dependability is *still* below average, which is probably false, but it will be misinterpreted.

I don't expect Ford's long-term reliability as a brand to improve to Toyota levels in this study until 2010. 2009 should be a good year, though. I also expect Ford's IQS next year to drop a little because of SYNC and problems related to consumers not understanding it or having problems with it. From a JD Power perspective, 2009 and 2010 should be banner years if Ford executes well. From an overall reliability perspective, Ford has already turned a corner, and consumers will hopefully start spreading the word.

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the all new '04 F150 was rushed without any attention to quality and the Focus was still a POS. Guess I just dreamed all those quality checks and processes which were repeated with the 500, Fusion, etc. until they were "right".

Sorry son, but that year was the Genesis of Ford's overrated program. If there's a 50+ point increase next year, hell even a 40 one, I'll Paypal you 100 dollars. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Ah, Queen o' the negatards is back...complete with a "bubububububu" blather moment.

You've been told...you're obviously too dumb for the 'net, so why not just spread discontent and stupidity in your neighborhood? Didn't you eat enough crow before?

It's bad enough some people try to polish a turd...why'd your folks decide to try RAISING one?

I can also attest to the improvement in quality. The warranty work has dropped on newer models alot. I have only worked on one Edge for an A/C problem and about 6 fusions total. The vehicles are being better built.

They are in the right direction. Just give it some time.

BTW I have only had to replace approx 5 cruise deactivation switches due to leaking.

Most of the were pre-1998 models

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the all new '04 F150 was rushed without any attention to quality and the Focus was still a POS. Guess I just dreamed all those quality checks and processes which were repeated with the 500, Fusion, etc. until they were "right".

Sorry son, but that year was the Genesis of Ford's overrated program. If there's a 50+ point increase next year, hell even a 40 one, I'll Paypal you 100 dollars. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

That was then. This is now. Different product now. Different management leadership now, tightened management process now. The future will be better than the past.

But,

Thanks to you, we can appreciate just how far Ford has moved in the 3 years since 2K4 — it is really amazing what they've accomplished in building as hard actions were taken.

Thanks to you, we can see just how paralyzed and moribund Ford management was, and what a great save Bill Ford started and handed off to Mullally to build on.

Keep up the good work.

Powerstroke issues are probably what are dragging the Ford brand down for this test. Remember that Mercury and Lincoln don't sell that many trucks and SUVs compared to Ford. I'm anxious to see what happens when the Fusion and Five Hundred start getting included...I bet that Ford starts to rise up there with Lincoln and Mercury.

Brands with heavy percentage of trucks do worse in this survey. That is why Mercury is rated at #4 and Ford isn't. Mercury is more cars than trucks, Ford the opposite in 2004.

The reason for this is simple, trucks (especially trucks that get used as trucks) are more likely to require maintenance. Work trucks also pile up the miles more quickly than cars which this survey does not correct for.