WIPER CONTROLS

regfootball

I ma absolutely incensed and ticked off royally that ford change the perfect wiper setup that was on my 500, the separate stalk on the right. now they have the wiper on the turn signal stalk apperently.

why in the HELL did they do this?

when ford does stuff like this to cost cut or whatever, it really makes me mad. my brother in law and i used to compare our 96 and 99 sho's my 99 had things like no soft material on the lower part of the door panels or the glove box was not damped. my BIL's 96 had an awesome JBL system and my 99 had a terrible ford system.

i personally wish i could have Alan Mullaly explain this to me. The wiper on the separate right had stalk is a far better solution.

But now we have fender vents?

Edited by regfootball

I ma absolutely incensed and ticked off royally that ford change the perfect wiper setup that was on my 500, the separate stalk on the right. now they have the wiper on the turn signal stalk apperently.

when ford does stuff like this to cost cut or whatever, it really makes me mad. my brother in law and i used to compare our 96 and 99 sho's my 99 had things like no soft material on the lower part of the door panels or the glove box was not damped. my BIL's 96 had an awesome JBL system and my 99 had a terrible ford system.

i personally wish i could have Alan Mullaly explain this to me. The wiper on the separate right had stalk is a far better solution.

I have a Fusion with the wiper controls on the turn signal stalk. It works perfectly. I don't see why having two stalks is better than one.

Different isn't automatically worse. I adapted quite readily to the new Taurus' configuration during the test drive. Having the headlight control on the dash instead of the stick was the bigger adjustment, but even that isn't a big deal. And quite frankly the sticks around the wheel are more prone to breakage and malfunction than dash controls, so the loss of one should be welcomed.

imo the only thing better about having a seperate stalk is that for one quick run of the wipers you can just push the lever down. other then that i dont think its that big of a difference

• 2 weeks later...

Actually most Ford vehicles have it on the turn signal stalk. At least all the SUVs and trucks do. People get used to different things though, so I can understand why you're upset though.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually most Ford vehicles have it on the turn signal stalk. At least all the SUVs and trucks do. People get used to different things though, so I can understand why you're upset though.

I agree. My Freestyle has the seperate stalk and I didn't really think too much about it. For the last four months my Freestyle has been having CVT problems and I have driven numerious loaner cars. Currently I'm in an 06 Taurus with the one stick does all controls. My only problem with it is more than once I've turned on the high beams when using the turn signal. I know that it's totally unrelated to the wipers, but it's just easier to push it front for the brights. Last week I was in an 07 Mustang loaner and it had the seperate stick just like my Freestyle minus the dial for the rear wiper. On the Escape loaner I believe the head light controls were on the turn signal also. It's funny some days when I just want to do a quick wipe to clear the windshield and I end up turning something else on or off. Can't wait till my Freestyle is fixed.

I agree. My Freestyle has the seperate stalk and I didn't really think too much about it. For the last four months my Freestyle has been having CVT problems and I have driven numerious loaner cars. Currently I'm in an 06 Taurus with the one stick does all controls. My only problem with it is more than once I've turned on the high beams when using the turn signal. I know that it's totally unrelated to the wipers, but it's just easier to push it front for the brights. Last week I was in an 07 Mustang loaner and it had the seperate stick just like my Freestyle minus the dial for the rear wiper. On the Escape loaner I believe the head light controls were on the turn signal also. It's funny some days when I just want to do a quick wipe to clear the windshield and I end up turning something else on or off. Can't wait till my Freestyle is fixed.

And to think that I had the luxury of a 62 Fairlane with a twist it on knob on the dash. No washer, two speeds: On/Off. :ohsnap:

The first couple of weeks that Alan Mullaly was on board he drove every single NA Ford product. Not just a couple of laps around the track. He actually drove them back and forth to work (pretty unusual because most CEO don't drive themselves).

One of his big complaints was that controls (headlights, wipers, etc) were not consistent across the product line. He said one morning he was stuck in the garage for a few seconds because he could not find the headlight switch.

Looks like this issue is fixed now !

The first couple of weeks that Alan Mullaly was on board he drove every single NA Ford product. Not just a couple of laps around the track. He actually drove them back and forth to work (pretty unusual because most CEO don't drive themselves).

One of his big complaints was that controls (headlights, wipers, etc) were not consistent across the product line. He said one morning he was stuck in the garage for a few seconds because he could not find the headlight switch.

Just bought a new Montego, wiper control on rt. side of wheel. Found out you cant shift gears with it.Takes some gettin use to. I like it separate from signal and headlite because I owned 2 Tauruses had to replace the signal,wiper, etc on both cars.

well i'd like to tell Mullaly to his face that i don't appreciate them changing one of the most favorite aspects about my 500. It's awesome if you need a quick wipe to use the stalk on the right. What's next? Be like GM and try to put the stinkin cruise control on the left stalk too?

while we're at it, some lateral support for the seats would be nice too.

as far as standardizing controls it will never happen. to get the euros and USA to agree, or hey, then let's give the crown vic a handbrake, too. just like the mustang.

Edited by regfootball

...as far as standardizing controls it will never happen. to get the euros and USA to agree, or hey, then let's give the crown vic a handbrake, too. just like the mustang.

Check the interior door latch/lock assembly on almost all Ford NA cars.

It is the same as used in all European Fords and even most Jaguars.

Commonality is coming to Ford.

well i'd like to tell Mullaly to his face that i don't appreciate them changing one of the most favorite aspects about my 500.

so you'd buy a Camry because it had nicer wiper controls?

I see your complaint, but every vehicle is different. Every vehicle will have some detail people don't like. Unfortunately, you try to design something that appeals to the most people.

well i'd like to tell Mullaly to his face that i don't appreciate them changing one of the most favorite aspects about my 500. It's awesome if you need a quick wipe to use the stalk on the right. What's next? Be like GM and try to put the stinkin cruise control on the left stalk too?

while we're at it, some lateral support for the seats would be nice too.

as far as standardizing controls it will never happen. to get the euros and USA to agree, or hey, then let's give the crown vic a handbrake, too. just like the mustang.

you should just be able to push the end of the turn signal/wiper stalk in for a quick wipe. Thats how it is in other Ford vehicles at least.

Well after a considerable number of hours in the vehicle in all sorts of wet, dry, light, and dark driving conditions I can say that the one stock is fine. Its just a matter of time to get used to it. Having to adapt doesn't make it better or worse. It is certainly not the worst setup I've used, and in a few years perhaps I'll even rate it as the best.

Love the automatic lights though. And the on-wheel button controls are quite good -- better than previous vehicles I've driven.

Well after a considerable number of hours in the vehicle in all sorts of wet, dry, light, and dark driving conditions I can say that the one stock is fine. Its just a matter of time to get used to it. Having to adapt doesn't make it better or worse. It is certainly not the worst setup I've used, and in a few years perhaps I'll even rate it as the best.

Love the automatic lights though. And the on-wheel button controls are quite good -- better than previous vehicles I've driven.

gm's single multi function stalk is the worst.