Hyundai genesis interior shot

Bigbuck15

01.jpg

Hyundai certainly isn't shy about aping design elements from some upscale marques:

2008.bmw.5%20series.20148315-E.jpg

BMW 5-Series

2007.infiniti.m45.20091893-E.jpg

Infiniti M45

2008.mercedes-benz.s-class.20131774-E.jpg

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

I'm not wild about the Hyundai interior, but at least they'll do some curves in an interior. I'd like to see Ford try something (not quite this bad, more Lexus-like) with a better mixture of colors, textures, shapes, and systems in a Lincoln. Maybe the MKS will be a good show.

Scott

01.jpg

Hyundai certainly isn't shy about aping design elements from some upscale marques:

BMW 5-Series

Infiniti M45

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

I'm not wild about the Hyundai interior, but at least they'll do some curves in an interior. I'd like to see Ford try something (not quite this bad, more Lexus-like) with a better mixture of colors, textures, shapes, and systems in a Lincoln. Maybe the MKS will be a good show.

Scott

All those bulbous centerstacks are ugly as shit.... And there seems to be a trend towards it... Even the new Accord...

I do like the one in the Jaguar XF...

All those bulbous centerstacks are ugly as shit.... And there seems to be a trend towards it... Even the new Accord...

I do like the one in the Jaguar XF...

2008.honda.accord.20151390-E.jpg

2008 Honda Accord

The Accord definitely has that styling element, but it seems better executed than the Mercedes or Infiniti. Maybe it's the lack of a silly console mounted knob.

2008.jaguar.xf.20149232-E.jpg

2008 Jaguar XF

This doesn't really bulge at all...it appears to be a completely different styling direction. I'm not wild about the silver...but I do think it's an interesting look. Knob and all...

But I agree with you "watchdevil" - I'm not a fan of these "bulging" Command-and-Control stations on modern high-end sedans. I'm glad Lexus is sticking with traditional yet attractive center stack designs. Audi walks the fine line of German Minimalism and German Engineering Bravado better than BMW or Mercedes. And little ol' Swedish Volvo is putting out interiors that shame many luxury cars for simplicity and elegance.

Of course, people still flock to BMW & Mercedes for prestige and the automotive media continue to give both a blank check for design excursions that would be crucified from other brands. For example, imagine it was Ford that introduced the brainlessly-configured COMAND module Mercedes launched years ago - a worthless interfaces that failed constantly and required replacement. If every Lincoln from 2000 to 2005 was equipped with that it would be a legend worth repeating in every article for the next 20 years. Much like "Cimmaron" was mentioned in just about every CTS & Catera story. Mercedes however? It was a 'temporary glitch" that "has been solved."

And don't get me started on iDrive. If it were Cadillac iDrive? Yeah, it wouldn't exist today. BMW? Gets another pass...

Scott

01.jpg

BMW 5-Series

Infiniti M45

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Scott

I know this is kinda off-topic, but since you posted an S-class pic, I thought about it.

I don't like ANY of the new Mercedes-Benz products w/ the exception of the SL (which is about to be uglified) and the SLR.

I think MB is making their cars look strange, they're losing their 'classy' look IMO. Look at the last gen S-class, then look at this gen, I kinda prefer the older one, has more of a classy look to me.

2005_MercedesBenz_S-Class_ext_1.jpg

VS

2006_MercedesBenz_S-Class_ext_1.jpg

Edited by rmc523

I know this is kinda off-topic, but since you posted an S-class pic, I thought about it.

I don't like ANY of the new Mercedes-Benz products w/ the exception of the SL (which is about to be uglified) and the SLR.

I think MB is making their cars look strange, they're losing their 'classy' look IMO. Look at the last gen S-class, then look at this gen, I kinda prefer the older one, has more of a classy look to me.

2005_MercedesBenz_S-Class_ext_1.jpg

VS

2006_MercedesBenz_S-Class_ext_1.jpg

All I see is that they have replaced flamboyant headlights with flamboyant fenders. Mercedes started losing me sometime in the 70s I think. Agree with the majority on the current cockpit trends. Oh well, it will give us something to identify the era with in the future.

In person, the new S-Class is quite a sight. It is pretty impressive looking, especially black. They do not photograph well though. I see quite a few every day. The richies around here are eating them up. They most definitely have presence. When I first saw pictures of them, I thought they looked horrible, then I saw one in person and changed my mind.

Edited by Intrepidatious

In person, the new S-Class is quite a sight. It is pretty impressive looking, especially black. They do not photograph well though. I see quite a few every day. The richies around here are eating them up. They most definitely have presence. When I first saw pictures of them, I thought they looked horrible, then I saw one in person and changed my mind.

They are nice, don't get me wrong, I see them all the time here in South Florida, I just think that MB is losing it's luster (im not sure if thats the right word).

Have you ever been in one? Whoever designed the interior should be shot and thrown in a lake.

I remember in the 90's, having a Tbird and Mark8 with the center stack canted towards the driver. I really found that attractive, sort of a drivers car. The Probe also enjoyed such a design, as did the Eclipse of the time, Aurora, and a few others. I liked having that "line" where people didnt cross because it was "my side".

Unfortunately, the center stacks are canted towards the center, as if the rear row riders take priority. This is mainly for passengers in the front seat to play with the navigation, or other various controls when the driver doesn't need or care to. The new S-Class is a perfect example of what I dislike with Navi systems purched upon the top of a dashboard like a Catholic saint commanding mass. I prefer how Audi and Volvo deal with their Navi systems.

Even with the Infinity M, I have a friend with one (not very reliable for her) and I can tell you operating that Navi system with the dial on the dashboard is quite annoying. Your hand does NOT rest there naturally, so the act gets tiring. This is where some systems like I-Drive (not that it's any easier), or even Audi's, you can adjust when your hand is resting on the center arm rest...much more comfortable.

Honestly, not many auto journalists have actually taken the time to critisize their navi systems effectively. One hour of driving a vehicle is not enough, when there's numerous annoyances in many of these vehicles that they would pick out if they had a longer stay with them.

And anyone whos taken a ride on a new Lexus, would agree that there's a plethora of buttons scattered like semen drops on a sequence dress through-out the dashboard. Many of them make no sense. Why not GROUP the suspension shocks/4wd buttons TOGETHER instead of spreading them around. Or the radio that have the volume buttons on the RIGHT side of the radio...so your hand MUST cross the radio to adjust the most commonly used button. Its good you have steering wheel controls for that in that case.

I'm hoping the new Accord has finally relocated their sunroof button OVERHEAD where it should be. And hopefully have some backlit buttons for it, and window/pwr locks/pwr mirror buttons as well. That "after thought CD slot" a 'la Infiniti doesn't really convey a message that they finally got it right....

I remember in the 90's, having a Tbird and Mark8 with the center stack canted towards the driver. I really found that attractive, sort of a drivers car. The Probe also enjoyed such a design, as did the Eclipse of the time, Aurora, and a few others. I liked having that "line" where people didnt cross because it was "my side".

Unfortunately, the center stacks are canted towards the center, as if the rear row riders take priority. This is mainly for passengers in the front seat to play with the navigation, or other various controls when the driver doesn't need or care to. The new S-Class is a perfect example of what I dislike with Navi systems purched upon the top of a dashboard like a Catholic saint commanding mass. I prefer how Audi and Volvo deal with their Navi systems.

Even with the Infinity M, I have a friend with one (not very reliable for her) and I can tell you operating that Navi system with the dial on the dashboard is quite annoying. Your hand does NOT rest there naturally, so the act gets tiring. This is where some systems like I-Drive (not that it's any easier), or even Audi's, you can adjust when your hand is resting on the center arm rest...much more comfortable.

Honestly, not many auto journalists have actually taken the time to critisize their navi systems effectively. One hour of driving a vehicle is not enough, when there's numerous annoyances in many of these vehicles that they would pick out if they had a longer stay with them.

And anyone whos taken a ride on a new Lexus, would agree that there's a plethora of buttons scattered like semen drops on a sequence dress through-out the dashboard. Many of them make no sense. Why not GROUP the suspension shocks/4wd buttons TOGETHER instead of spreading them around. Or the radio that have the volume buttons on the RIGHT side of the radio...so your hand MUST cross the radio to adjust the most commonly used button. Its good you have steering wheel controls for that in that case.

I'm hoping the new Accord has finally relocated their sunroof button OVERHEAD where it should be. And hopefully have some backlit buttons for it, and window/pwr locks/pwr mirror buttons as well. That "after thought CD slot" a 'la Infiniti doesn't really convey a message that they finally got it right....

I find BMW's I-drive fairly easy to use. The system I'm used to though is the newest one, so the older versions may have been more confusing to use.

You said you liked the way Volvo puts their nav systems in. To me they look like an after thought, something that pops up out of the dash. I prefer the built-in look, but we each have our preferences.

I like this center stack concept in the VW UP! It does everything with no buttons. Just a screen. And it has sensors so that all you have to do is have your finger in the proximity in front of the screen instead of touching it....

Up_6.jpg

And I'm sure all that will be in a production model. :rolleyes:

Who knows though, eventually that stuff may be in cars.