2008 Ford Taurus: Best in Class?

wescoent

I had a chance today to evaluate the 2008 Ford Taurus through a walk-around and sit-in. I came away extraordinarily impressed with it, both inside and out. In black or dark blue, it's a stunning form, looking way classier and higher-buck than it really is. In other colors, it still looks very impressive.

The interior is just night and day compared with the Five Hundred. The two-tone color, seating, switchgear with the chrome accents, and gauges are head and shoulders improved. This is a car that can sell for almost $33,000 fully loaded, and hardly embarrasses itself in that price range. Materials are beyond reproach.

Those who have driven it have told me it drives exactly like a premium full-size sedan should. Controlled in turns, perfectly isolated from harsh bumps, quiet as a bank vault, and very speedy.

Safety equipment is hard to argue with. 5-stars all around, all the electronic driving aids, and all-wheel drive would lead me to believe it's virtually impossible to lose control, and if so, you're protected against practically anything.

Price is also hard to argue with. $24,000 to start (still plenty well equipped in base form), with reasonably priced options.

I have a few issues. Where are the projector/xenon lights? Why does the top storage compartment feel chintzy (only interior flaw)? Why is there no handling/sport package?

Other than that, I have no argument or issue with the car. It's perfect in every way, and its handful of shortcomings list far few than its competitors. Can anyone possibly explain to me why this is not the best in class? Avalon, Maxima, Lucerne, Impala, and V6 Charger/300?

While I certainly agree that the Taurus is among the best in its class (probably second best), and an excellent choice and value for nearly anyone, I think it needs just a few tweaks to make it tops.

1) Get rid of 'the brick' radio. Integrate the new Escape's head unit and display. Ditto for the climate controls.

2) Clean up the build quality. The car I sat in when my mom was getting her Edge had a few fit and finish issues (minor trim pieces, but still). For God's sake, fix them!

3) The back end should really have been restyled just like the front, but this is just a subjective opinion. From behind, he car looks like a Five Hundred with clears tail lamps.

4) Not that the car's performance is lacking, especially considering it delivers 28 mpg on the highway, but can we have direct injection and 300 horsepower. Please?

Other than that, these changes would simply perfect an already excellent, excellent car.

While I certainly agree that the Taurus is among the best in its class (probably second best), and an excellent choice and value for nearly anyone, I think it needs just a few tweaks to make it tops.

1) Get rid of 'the brick' radio. Integrate the new Escape's head unit and display. Ditto for the climate controls.

2) Clean up the build quality. The car I sat in when my mom was getting her Edge had a few fit and finish issues (minor trim pieces, but still). For God's sake, fix them!

3) The back end should really have been restyled just like the front, but this is just a subjective opinion. From behind, he car looks like a Five Hundred with clears tail lamps.

4) Not that the car's performance is lacking, especially considering it delivers 28 mpg on the highway, but can we have direct injection and 300 horsepower. Please?

Other than that, these changes would simply perfect an already excellent, excellent car.

2005-Chrysler-300-Interior-1280x960.jpg

06buicklucerneintlarge.jpg

nissanmaxima1.jpg

sp_06imp_g_int.jpg

0501_naias%202005_toyota_avalon%20front_interior_view.jpg

Bricks all around.

Where are the projector/xenon lights?

I think they might have been deleted as an option all together, they are not listed as a Job 2 option order guide. But there were pictures when the car was launched that they would be available.

ico-07taur_04.jpg

According to the Job 2 order guides, Sync becomes Std on the Limited sedan and Taurus X Eddie Bauer and Limited.

Edited by jasonj80

I had a chance today to evaluate the 2008 Ford Taurus through a walk-around and sit-in. I came away extraordinarily impressed with it, both inside and out. In black or dark blue, it's a stunning form, looking way classier and higher-buck than it really is. In other colors, it still looks very impressive.

The interior is just night and day compared with the Five Hundred. The two-tone color, seating, switchgear with the chrome accents, and gauges are head and shoulders improved. This is a car that can sell for almost $33,000 fully loaded, and hardly embarrasses itself in that price range. Materials are beyond reproach.

Those who have driven it have told me it drives exactly like a premium full-size sedan should. Controlled in turns, perfectly isolated from harsh bumps, quiet as a bank vault, and very speedy.

Safety equipment is hard to argue with. 5-stars all around, all the electronic driving aids, and all-wheel drive would lead me to believe it's virtually impossible to lose control, and if so, you're protected against practically anything.

Price is also hard to argue with. $24,000 to start (still plenty well equipped in base form), with reasonably priced options.

I have a few issues. Where are the projector/xenon lights? Why does the top storage compartment feel chintzy (only interior flaw)? Why is there no handling/sport package?

Other than that, I have no argument or issue with the car. It's perfect in every way, and its handful of shortcomings list far few than its competitors. Can anyone possibly explain to me why this is not the best in class? Avalon, Maxima, Lucerne, Impala, and V6 Charger/300?

I think at the moment, it comes down to not enough advertising. People don't know that there's a new Taurus, let alone the best one ever. However, as others above have said, there's a marketing push coming next month.

I think they might have been deleted as an option all together, they are not listed as a Job 2 option order guide. But there were pictures when the car was launched that they would be available.

ico-07taur_04.jpg

According to the Job 2 order guides, Sync becomes Std on the Limited sedan and Taurus X Eddie Bauer and Limited.

I think they need to be at least an option on both Taurus and Sable, or maybe standard on Sable, while being an option on Taurus.

In my opinion, there is no doubt that the Taurus represents the best in its class. It may not excel in everything, but if you grade and tally all the important stuff, you'd probably have to put the Taurus at the front of the rest. From my perspective, only the 300C or Charger R/T would likely claim me as a customer before a Taurus simply because of their powertrain and drivetrain. Without the Hemi, I would probably go with the Taurus myself over Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Buick or Chevy. I think the 300C and Charger R/T are probably the driver's choices, however for cut and thrust, day-to-day commutes, I'd say the Taurus probably would be the most enjoyable for the average commuter.

Now, how do you convey that to the public? Unfortuately, Ford has been too complacent for too many years with the FWD sedans and they continue to pay for that. They only looked shortsightedly at the popularity of the trucks and SUVs and didn't apparently worry too much about that market beginning to wane. If Ford can keep the Taurus going competitively and keep up solid quality control, the prospective buyers will come but so much water has passed under the bridge to convince people that Ford was not committed to producing quality that they feel obliged to first visit Toyota before Ford.

Toyota has convinced the American public that they are synonymous with elite mainstream automobile production, whether it is true or not. People automatically think that for quality reassurance, you can't go wrong with Toyota. If Ford builds a better product and that product remains trouble-free, it will still take time to convince people otherwise. Look at some of the biasness against the Crown Vic that exists even on here. The critics hear about how much better the cars are today, but visions of wallowy, slow sedans with numb steering and floating suspension dominate their opinion. Now, how are you going to convince someone accustom to buying a Camry every 3 years since 1992 that there is something better than that...and that its a Ford Taurus. Its an uphill struggle.

Unproven track record, and Ford has a reputation for poor quality front wheel drive vehicles. I'm not talking about a 90 day survey - most people are interested in a vehicle's quality when it is five or six years old, not months.

Outside of quality, the second issue is resale value. The kind of more logic-orient people who buy larger sedans (other than crackpots like me who like simple rear-wheel drive vehicles) consider that more than other market segments may consider that factor in their purchase decision.

So, those customers who trade every 3 years prefer Japanese cars for resale value, and those who hold long term consider Japanese cars for their durability reputation.

Many Americans think the way the Big 2.8 are operated, both management and union, is disfunctional, and are leery of buying a product of such a system. That is the sense I get from people I know, at least.

Bullshit! I've owned several FWD Ford vehicles and never had a problem with any of them.

The Taurus was never a bad vehicle and never became a bad vehicle. There are millions on the road today and I drive one of them and it is a fine car. We all know the history of the vehicle and how important it was to Ford comeback in 80's. It was always a good to great seller, and even as a fleet queen, it was loved by many. In its last two years, fleet owners called it a reliable workhorse and bought it in droves. Even today, many Detroit dealers are still selling them. In fact, I believe the Taurus has been the number one selling car in Metro Detroit for somehting like 20 years. You see more Tauruses on Detroit streets than any other car including Impala. Consumer Report had it on its recommended list after Ford got rid of the 3.8 Liter V6. The residual value may have been bad, but you could buy one for great price and it will last for decades. The vehicle may not do any one thing great, but all around, it is great car. Mine is a 2002 and I still love the car. Most of all, it is paid for and runs great. Everyone I know who drives one loves it and keep them forever. Maybe it's just me, but my Taurus still looks modern compared to the new vehicles and don't envy the new vehicles at all. Maybe I envy a Porsche Boxster, or a Ford GT, or a Lambourghini, or a Ferrari, but not much else. In my view, Ford was smart to bring the Taurus name back, because I feel millions of Taurus owners are happy with theirs and hopefully would consider a new Taurus. And hopefully Ford will keep present Taurus up to date and expand the Taurus lineup with more models over time.

The Taurus was never a bad vehicle and never became a bad vehicle. There are millions on the road today and I drive one of them and it is a fine car. We all know the history of the vehicle and how important it was to Ford comeback in 80's. It was always a good to great seller, and even as a fleet queen, it was loved by many. In its last two years, fleet owners called it a reliable workhorse and bought it in droves. Even today, many Detroit dealers are still selling them. In fact, I believe the Taurus has been the number one selling car in Metro Detroit for somehting like 20 years. You see more Tauruses on Detroit streets than any other car including Impala. Consumer Report had it on its recommended list after Ford got rid of the 3.8 Liter V6. The residual value may have been bad, but you could buy one for great price and it will last for decades. The vehicle may not do any one thing great, but all around, it is great car. Mine is a 2002 and I still love the car. Most of all, it is paid for and runs great. Everyone I know who drives one loves it and keep them forever. Maybe it's just me, but my Taurus still looks modern compared to the new vehicles and don't envy the new vehicles at all. Maybe I envy a Porsche Boxster, or a Ford GT, or a Lambourghini, or a Ferrari, but not much else. In my view, Ford was smart to bring the Taurus name back, because I feel millions of Taurus owners are happy with theirs and hopefully would consider a new Taurus. And hopefully Ford will keep present Taurus up to date and expand the Taurus lineup with more models over time.

What type of models would you think Ford could expand the Taurus lineup with?

A coupe? A convertible? They already have a wagon, excuse me crossover (Taurus X).

Extended wheelbase maybe?

The Taurus was never a bad vehicle and never became a bad vehicle. There are millions on the road today and I drive one of them and it is a fine car.

Bullsh!t. Best friend had a 1994 and it popped a head at 120K, well maintained. A/C was out and repaired annually. His mom's 1991 thought transmissions were tasty. Great interiors though for the time and the pre 1995 ones were great looking cars, no doubt. Now that I have given a couple of examples of how bad they could be, I'm sure someone on here could enlighten us on the other end.

Best example I know is another good friend of mine, a used car dealer of over 30 years. Everytime I've accompanied him to an auction with Taurii, his automatic response is 'Head gasket or a tranny, what's it's going to be today?" And yes, he buys dozens upon dozens of autos each year.

I finally saw a "Swap your ride" TV ad including the Taurus, see since it is Ford's "flagship" sedan now, Ford's advertising department probably thinks that means do not advertise it or death....you know, the same treatment the Crown Vic got for decades.

Edited by Armada Master

What type of models would you think Ford could expand the Taurus lineup with?

A coupe? A convertible? They already have a wagon, excuse me crossover (Taurus X).

Extended wheelbase maybe?

I doubt if Ford would do a coupe or a convertible, but maybe an SE model for the budget conscious, and an ST model for those who want a sportier ride and some more power to go with it. U of M students at Ann Arbor did a 500 hp 500 that Car and Driver tested and they liked it. It looked very aggressive too. Now 500 hp is over the top, but maybe a turbo version or a 3.5 with around 300 hp and tighter ride for better handling. Maybe even a V8 version. Ford used to offer all its vehicles with more than one engine choice, and Taurus maybe should be offered with more than one engine choice, no matter how good that engine is. Variety is the spice of life. Put the Mustang motor in the Taurus with dual exhaust and it would probably still get decent fuel milage and be capable of low 6 0-60 time with great handling. Put the dual clutch trans to it and driving gets more fun. The more lifestyles the Taurus meets, the more you can sell.

What the Taurus of today reminds me is why has it taken Ford all this time to finally build a car worthy for comparison against a brand-new Japanese model? Ford needed this Taurus in place 5 years ago. This car is light years ahead of the Impala IMO and at least on par with the Avalon. Honestly, the Avalon is overrated and the Camry grossly overrated and overpriced. You can honestly get a nicely equipped Infiniti G35 sedan for what a Avalon costs.

I doubt if Ford would do a coupe or a convertible, but maybe an SE model for the budget conscious, and an ST model for those who want a sportier ride and some more power to go with it. U of M students at Ann Arbor did a 500 hp 500 that Car and Driver tested and they liked it. It looked very aggressive too. Now 500 hp is over the top, but maybe a turbo version or a 3.5 with around 300 hp and tighter ride for better handling. Maybe even a V8 version. Ford used to offer all its vehicles with more than one engine choice, and Taurus maybe should be offered with more than one engine choice, no matter how good that engine is. Variety is the spice of life. Put the Mustang motor in the Taurus with dual exhaust and it would probably still get decent fuel milage and be capable of low 6 0-60 time with great handling. Put the dual clutch trans to it and driving gets more fun. The more lifestyles the Taurus meets, the more you can sell.

Are you referring to the one where they put a GT motor into a Five Hundred? I read an article on that a while back.

I could see them making an SE model, but at the same time, it would impede into high end Fusion models on price, I think thats the reasoning behind not having one.

An ST model would also be good too IMO, even the TF 3.5L would be ok, as you mentioned. I dont think they'd but the 3.7L in it, cuz thats will be a 'Lincoln exclusive' engine. As for a V8 model, that would probably never happen b/c it's a FWD vehicle, although it'd be cool. I also think the dual split exhaust would look much better than the current one sided dual exhaust.

I wouldn't think most of these 'modifications' would be too expensive to do, since Ford would just be using parts that are already being used elsewhere, there'd be nothing to be developed for just the Taurus.

I'm probably the only consumer in the USA with this complaint. I have only one major complaint with my wife's 05 Montego Premere. Front driver seat comfort. And she preferred it over other similar sized cars mainly because of the HID headlights. If I can't get comfortable for long trips, styling and features don't matter.

I'm only 5' 10" and weigh 165, but I think the lower seat cusion on my wife Montego is too short. And front seat comfort is the major factor in my buying decision. I just cannot get comfortable in my wife Montego for long trips, no matter how I adjust the seat, steering wheel, or pedals. It's OK for me around town.

The bottom seat cusion length is about the same as a Honda Accord, and I think that seat is either designed for women or smaller people.

The front seats in my 98 Explorer and my 2002 Explorer offer far more support under the legs and the cusion is a couple inches longer. Those of you who drive Explorers know what I mean, but surely the new Taurus and Sable are aimed at the same size buyers as the Explorer. I will have to drive a Sable first before I buy one, but no HID's is also a deal killer, unless there has been some huge advancement in standard headlights I'm not aware of.

Edited by Ralph Greene