Model T dissed on Time magazine list

How did the car that brought the horseless carriage to the masses end up on this list? Dan Neil, the car critic of the Los Angeles Times who compiled that list with Time.com, said the Model T's popularity earned it its shame.

"A century later, the consequences of putting every living soul on gas-powered wheels are piling up, from the air over our cities to the sand under our soldiers' boots." You can read the rest of the article here.

How did the car that brought the horseless carriage to the masses end up on this list? Dan Neil, the car critic of the Los Angeles Times who compiled that list with Time.com, said the Model T's popularity earned it its shame.

"A century later, the consequences of putting every living soul on gas-powered wheels are piling up, from the air over our cities to the sand under our soldiers' boots." You can read the rest of the article here.

That certainly says something about the media and how they treat Domestic auto companies. To put the Mode T on 50 Worst List is beyond stupidity. It can be argued that Henry Ford was the most influential man of the 20th Century and his Model T was at the forefront. It is a fact that it put this Nation on wheels. Being from Detroit and knowing the history of the Model T, and what it meant to this area and to the world, it would be hard to put into words. Maybe Dan Neil needs to go back in time and view what the world looked like before motor vehicles. And what the world would like now without motor vehicles. Sure, our transportation system needs revamping, but in the meantime motor vehicles keep our economy humming. The Model T like no other gave us the personal freedom man craves.

Golly gee, how dare that damned Henry Ford invent the production line thereby lowering the cost to produce everything in your life from cars to DVD players and usher in a new age of personal prosperity for the rank and file citizen who would otherwise still be WALKING OR RIDING A FUCKING HORSE TO WORK IN SOME SWEAT SHOP!!!!! Where the hell do these morons come from anyway? I guess it would be just way too much to ask for them to say "Thank you for improving my life years before I was ever born." Instead these ignorant fucks curse the very reason their standard of living is as good as it is thereby ensuring they have the ability to get a useless job at some liberal rag magazine. Dumb asses!!!!

"You can read the rest of the article here."

Not recommended if you have an untreated blood pressure condition.

Dan Neil is a moron.

He lives in LA and trashes the widespread availability of automobiles.

The hypocrisy that runs rampant through him is summed up in that statement.

LA would be nothing, if not for the car. The rag that pays his salary would be little more than a fish-wrapper for the local farmer's market if not for the car.

He's an ass. And a hypocrite. And arrogant. And smug. And he is not as funny as he thinks he is.

He's the anti-Lutz.

"You can read the rest of the article here."

Not recommended if you have an untreated blood pressure condition.

Dan Neil is a moron.

He lives in LA and trashes the widespread availability of automobiles.

The hypocrisy that runs rampant through him is summed up in that statement.

LA would be nothing, if not for the car. The rag that pays his salary would be little more than a fish-wrapper for the local farmer's market if not for the car.

He's an ass. And a hypocrite. And arrogant. And smug. And he is not as funny as he thinks he is.

He's the anti-Lutz.

While he is at it, how about calling the MRI and X-Ray machine as one of the worst inventions by mankind. And throw in pain killers too. I want to go back to Civil War Era when they put a stick in your mouth after a shot of whiskey, and then took your leg off after infection set in. And when Dentists just pulled your teeth out when they got infected instead of root canals. Let's go back to horses and horse shit covering streets like on Mackinaw Island, and to crude medical care practices. Men were men back then. I love Elitists and their view of the world.

The lint that comes off my underwear has a higher IQ than this idiot. Let us take away from this man everything he receives via some mode of mechanized transport.

I can think of other ridiculous things to put on the list:

Novacaine

Aspirin

Shoes

Diapers

Towels

Telephones

Computers

Paper

Calculators

Air Bags

Seat Belts

Now for the things that BELONG on that list......

The LA Times

The Daily Kos

Hillary Clinton

He's a WOF....... waste of flesh!

The lint that comes off my underwear has a higher IQ than this idiot. Let us take away from this man everything he receives via some mode of mechanized transport.

I can think of other ridiculous things to put on the list:

Novacaine

Aspirin

Shoes

Diapers

Towels

Telephones

Computers

Paper

Calculators

Air Bags

Seat Belts

Now for the things that BELONG on that list......

The LA Times

The Daily Kos

Hillary Clinton

He's a WOF....... waste of flesh!

I hope people are also sending these comments to the LA Times. This is one of the most idiotic things they've done in a long time, and that's saying a lot. The Model T wasn't just an advance in auto production, it was the key development that led to the American economic boom of the rest of the 20th century. Our growth as a economic giant and world power can trace its roots to the American autoindustry. It has taken the rest of the world close 90 years to catch up, and that same industry is now the growth engine of Europe and much of Asia. This moron Dan Neil by definition is arguing we'd all be better off if we were still shoveling horse manure off our streets everyone morning. Unbelievable. This man should not be allowed to write about autos or anything else. And, by the way, he wouldn't even have a job today if it weren't for the industry he is attacking.

Edited by EMDEE

I have to say: I'm a bit confused. I've read Dan Neil's car reviews before, and while I'm not sure if they are Pulitzer-worthy (he's already won one), I do like them. He likes the Escalade. He liked the Cobalt SS Supercharged. Yet he faults the Model T for future global warming???? It sort of reminds me of something I heard while watching a British comedy show called QI. Thomas Midgley Jr wanted to stop engines from knocking while running. Later in life, GM asked him to make a safe substance for their refrigerators. His two big ideas? Leaded gasoline and CFCs, two of the worst things to happen to our environment! :doh: Despite being a great inventor with numerous patents, those two...things hang over his legacy. It continues to boggle my mind how some people can fault someone for inventing something that they couldn't have possibly known would be bad in the future.

I work in the publishing industry so let me offer a little insider's insight:

Idiotic lists like this one, and idiotic ideas like putting the Model T on the list, are designed to provoke readers and get a reaction. In short, to do exactly what is happening here. Writers on the left, like Dan Neil, do it. Writers on the right, like Ann Coulter, do it. If Dan Neil thought he'd get more of a rise by denouncing Edison for helping electrify the country, or Roosevelt for authorizing the a-bomb, or Jefferson for pushing the US farther into Indian territory, he'd probably do it.

My advice: Don't take the bait, and don't waste your time trying to figure out some grand liberal conspiracy behind this...just like there's no conservative conspiracy behind the celeb magazines that constantly denounce Britney Spears' wanton ways. It's all about pushing pages.

Model T was designed to run on ethanol, Henry Ford thought that was the fuel of the future. Also, at the time of the Model T's introduction, about half of the vehicles being sold were electric cars.

Although cheap oil/gas later wained support for the 'grown' fuel and batteries. Funny how they love to make such a big deal about modern vehicles 'damaging the atmosphere'. One of these days a real poluter like a supervolcano will erupt throwing 10 billion times the polution all of human existance has created in just one day, it happens quite a bit over the earth's timeline. Everybody likes to be on the 'hero' bandwagon by simply trumpeting misinformation that's popular at the moment to seem like there is a reason for their existance. All this other shit about future alternative fuels crack me up too. The guy who gets seawater to burn may be on the right track though. Of course, no major oil company or automaker has taken much interest in it though...Using ultra low voltage radiowave devices to instantly create hyrdrogen and instantly burn plain old seawater 5 times hotter then gasoline seems like it makes so much sense, but selling seawater doesn't seem very profitable. Although, then again, maybe eveian might want to get into the car business...

EDIT: I guess he didn't even bother to use google, every search for sites with ethanol as a renewable source has the Model T and Henry Ford of the father of this revolutionary idea.

http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol.html

"Henry Ford designed the famed Model T Ford to run on alcohol -- he said it was "the fuel of the future". The oil companies thought otherwise, however -- but the oil crisis of the early 1970s gave ethanol fuel a new lease of life"

Edited by kevinb120

It's people like Dan Neil that make me wish all the elitist, smug extreme liberals, hippies, and eco-terrorists would secede in their own little woodsy area of California or Oregon and form their own damn country. I'm sick of their pissy little whining. Half these guys that dump on modern society wouldn't last a week "roughing it"...no, a couple days without their Starbucks latte and they'd be crawling on their hands and knees back to the civilized world.

Edited by mustang84isu

I work in the publishing industry so let me offer a little insider's insight:

Idiotic lists like this one, and idiotic ideas like putting the Model T on the list, are designed to provoke readers and get a reaction. In short, to do exactly what is happening here. Writers on the left, like Dan Neil, do it. Writers on the right, like Ann Coulter, do it. If Dan Neil thought he'd get more of a rise by denouncing Edison for helping electrify the country, or Roosevelt for authorizing the a-bomb, or Jefferson for pushing the US farther into Indian territory, he'd probably do it.

My advice: Don't take the bait, and don't waste your time trying to figure out some grand liberal conspiracy behind this...just like there's no conservative conspiracy behind the celeb magazines that constantly denounce Britney Spears' wanton ways. It's all about pushing pages.

Still doesnt change the fact that he's an idiot...not to mention that years from now this material might be used to back up someones future research project or paper...

It's people like Dan Neil that make me wish all the elitist, smug extreme liberals, hippies, and eco-terrorists would secede in their own little woodsy area of California or Oregon and form their own damn country. I'm sick of their pissy little whining. Half these guys that dump on modern society wouldn't last a week "roughing it"...no, a couple days without their Starbucks latte and they'd be crawling on their hands and knees back to the civilized world.

It's been thought of before - a little over 30 years ago:

eco.gif

The setting is the early 21st century. Ecotopia, made up of what was once Northern California, Oregon, and Washington, has been independent for several decades.

Link

Where the hell do these morons come from anyway?

California.

Golly gee, how dare that damned Henry Ford invent the production line thereby lowering the cost to produce everything in your life from cars to DVD players and usher in a new age of personal prosperity for the rank and file citizen who would otherwise still be WALKING OR RIDING A FUCKING HORSE TO WORK IN SOME SWEAT SHOP!!!!! Where the hell do these morons come from anyway? I guess it would be just way too much to ask for them to say "Thank you for improving my life years before I was ever born." Instead these ignorant fucks curse the very reason their standard of living is as good as it is thereby ensuring they have the ability to get a useless job at some liberal rag magazine. Dumb asses!!!!

I agree that Dan Neil is a moron. Just so you know, however, Henry Ford didn't invent the production / assembly line. He actually was just the first to utilize it to make cars. But, I don't blame you too much for this mistake. My 4th grade teacher taught my class that he invented the assembly line, and I corrected her because I had read his biography. She probably thought I was a little smart ass for correcting her, but you probably think the same lol ...

Edited by SVT_MAN

California.

I agree that Dan Neil is a moron. Just so you know, however, Henry Ford didn't invent the production / assembly line. He actually was just the first to utilize it to make cars. But, I don't blame you too much for this mistake. My 4th grade teacher taught my class that he invented the assembly line, and I corrected her because I had read his autobiography. She probably thought I was a little smart ass for correcting her, but you probably think the same lol ...

Yeah, yeah I know Eli Whitney and all that. However unless I'm mistaken Ford was the one that really revolutionized the way the assembly line worked. Or I could be way off in left field I don't know.

Yeah, yeah I know Eli Whitney and all that. However unless I'm mistaken Ford was the one that really revolutionized the way the assembly line worked. Or I could be way off in left field I don't know.

I read his biography so long ago that I'm not sure if that's true or not (that would have been when I was hmm, 9 or 10 years old). It could be. I simply don't know. I know Ford's assembly line started with the magneto, and he basically found how beneficial specialization is in the build process. Literally, the man who put the bolt in didn't put the nut on.

BTW: I meant to say in my first post -- BIOGRAPHY, not autobiography. I know he didn't write whatever I read. If he did, he was sure tooting his own horn.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Model T was one of the greatest inventions, the i-pod of its day, Model T 25 MPG is still very much cutting edge fuel consumption in the US today so nothing much as changed over time.

Triumph Stag made it into the top 50, l can only agree with this though.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/art...1657839,00.html

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Model T was one of the greatest inventions, the i-pod of its day, Model T 25 MPG is still very much cutting edge fuel consumption in the US today so nothing much as changed over time.

Triumph Stag made it into the top 50, l can only agree with this though.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/art...1657839,00.html

I would not glorify the Ipod by coparing it to the creation of the assembly line or a mass produced automobile. Frankly I own a DMP (Digital Media Player) but I refuse to own an Ipod because it is formatted in Itunes. every other player on the market uses WMA and/or MP-3 format to include the player that is on my Motorola Razor!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I would not glorify the Ipod by coparing it to the creation of the assembly line or a mass produced automobile. Frankly I own a DMP (Digital Media Player) but I refuse to own an Ipod because it is formatted in Itunes. every other player on the market uses WMA and/or MP-3 format to include the player that is on my Motorola Razor!

Ford model T & I-pod both have one thing in common they are both world best sellers, that was the comparison l was making. Model T 25 MPG is still very much cutting edge fuel consumption in the US today so nothing much as changed over time. Seats in the Model T are light years ahead for comfort of compared to those fitted to the European Ford Focus. Focus seats are very much like sitting on concrete, l would not want to do more than about 5 miles sitting in the seat of a Focus.

Ford Model T still cutting edge?

http://www.wanttoknow.info/050711carmileageaveragempg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds