6.4 Powerstroke available in new F-150?

02MustangGT

The LCF already has a deisel from Navistar that was supposed to go in the F-150, but couldn't make the emissions standards coming in 2010. Add in all the trouble Ford is having with Navistar, They ARE NOT going to use that engine in the next F-150, its coming from JV work with Peugeot in Europe. Plus Ford is working on its own in-house 6.8L Scorpion Diesel to replace the 6.4L power stroke, which should come out in 2011...

Please for the love of god don't give any credit to the French, Ford of Europe designed & developed the Lion V6 and V8 inhouse. The V8 was also outside of the Gemini JV agreement.

It's true you know! Scout's honour!

Please for the love of god don't give any credit to the French, Ford of Europe designed & developed the Lion V6 and V8 inhouse. The V8 was also outside of the Gemini JV agreement.

It's true you know! Scout's honour!

LOL Thanks...I just figured that any info gained with working with the French was used in developing it...not that it was developed with them :)

Another possibility is a 6.4L PSD with a much smaller turbo setup. In a different level of tune, a PSD might be tuned for less HP and torque, but perhaps greater fuel efficiency? A smaller turbo might be part of that? They already have all of the emissions stuff setup for the engine, so, this would definitely make doing that stuff easier.

Remember, dimensionally, just the heads and block of the 6.4L PSD are not uncomparable to the 5.4L MOD in size. The 6.4L PSD is IIRC still a cam in block engine, so, no OHC heads. It does, however ,have 4 valves per cylinder and 32 pushrods. That makes life interesting. What makes the 6.4L power package so massive is the turbo plumbing. If they could condense things down to a smaller twin-scroll turbo, they might just be able to make it fit. And, given that the rumors make the new F-150 even larger than the current one (It will truly be larger than a pre-98[or, whenever the late 90s update was] superduty) there is every possibility that they could manage it.

All that being said, I am of the opinion that they just confused/typoed the 6.4L for the 4.4L that's really supposed to go there.

Edited by old_fairmont_wagon

Another possibility is a 6.4L PSD with a much smaller turbo setup. In a different level of tune, a PSD might be tuned for less HP and torque, but perhaps greater fuel efficiency? A smaller turbo might be part of that? They already have all of the emissions stuff setup for the engine, so, this would definitely make doing that stuff easier.

Remember, dimensionally, just the heads and block of the 6.4L PSD are not uncomparable to the 5.4L MOD in size. The 6.4L PSD is IIRC still a cam in block engine, so, no OHC heads. It does, however ,have 4 valves per cylinder and 32 pushrods. That makes life interesting. What makes the 6.4L power package so massive is the turbo plumbing. If they could condense things down to a smaller twin-scroll turbo, they might just be able to make it fit. And, given that the rumors make the new F-150 even larger than the current one (It will truly be larger than a pre-98[or, whenever the late 90s update was] superduty) there is every possibility that they could manage it.

All that being said, I am of the opinion that they just confused/typoed the 6.4L for the 4.4L that's really supposed to go there.

is the 09 F-150 really going to be that big?

I think with trucks continuing to grow, a F-100 type vehicle the size of the older F-150s would serve the market well.

• 2 weeks later...
It does, however ,have 4 valves per cylinder and 32 pushrods.

I think you mean 16, I dont think it's physically possible to have 32 pushrods. It would mean there are 32 lifters and 32 cam lobes in a v-8. I think each pushrod connects to a rocker arm with pushes down a bridge kinda thing.

And unless the drastically change the 150, theres no way in hell I would think they could fit the 6.4 being the pig it is at over 1100lbs dry.

Edited by CPBroncoBoy

The 6.4 (and 6.0) is not going nor was it ever intended to go into the 09 150. it's too big. the only thing bigger about the cab is the front clip and the crew cab is getting 6" longer in back.

Derek ya big tease....does this mean a shorter bed again ( 5.5 feet ) no more 6.5 or is the wheelbase changing?

• 5 weeks later...
I have been waiting for a v6 diesel to be in an F-150 for a long time. It could not come fast enough, sadly we should have done this years ago.

Everybody has been begging for this but in the early 00's when fuel was cheap Ford was blinded by the profitability of the SD's. Then the window sticker climbs $8K-10K over the course of 5 years, diesel fuel doubles in price (not to mention USLD is about 5% less efficient than the 'good stuff') and the 6 liter PSD turd swung the gate wide open for the Cummins and Duramax to gobble up PSD market share. Now the 6.4 PSD is averaging 12-14 mpg unloaded @ $3.39 per gallon.

While I like my Ford's if Chebby shows up with a viable 6 cylinder diesel first that proves itself in MPG's and reliability, I'm sorry Momma Ford but its been real because you have been begged for 6cyl diesel option in the F-150 for at least the last 7 years. IMO the primary downfall of the Big 3 is not responding to the consumers changing demands. The consumer has begged for a 1/2 ton diesel for the better part of decade with nothing concrete in future pipeline.

Now if Ford gets off its arse with a 6cyl diesel I'll take it in an Exped or 150....

Edited by Automotive Paint

The LCF 4.5 didn't pass NVH tests for consumer vehicles. I've read that Ford may use a 4.4L V8 designed in the diesel facility in Britian.

replace MAY with WILL - 4.4l V8 DOHC Common Rail Diesel - about 320hp / 520 ft.lbs

it will be built in Mexico and it ill launch with 2010 F150 - 12 months after initial launch of the new F150.

Igor

While I like my Ford's if Chebby shows up with a viable 6 cylinder diesel

No V6 diesel planned for Chevy - they will have a 4.5l V8 Diesel a couple months after Ford has theirs - the specs are quite close to the Ford engine.

Dodge will have a V6 (or I6) in theit Ram 1500, but I am not sure about the timeline - and expect to see it compete with the V8 Diesel number s - not go for less power and better efficiency.

Finally. Ford EU is THIS close to releasing a new 3.0l V6 diesel - if we ask very nicely, and americans finally see the advantage paying more for a truck with better FE - this might make it across.

Igor

Sigh.

Why is it every couple of months there is a whole new batch of incorrect rumors about diesel engines. Nothing has changed since I retired in Feb '07. Had a few beers with some of the boys back in Aug. Everything is still the same.

The 4.4L will go in the the F150 (the current PSD does not fit, period) , but won't be available until early 2010CY. It is a derivative the Ford of Europe diesel engines. The 4.4L will eventually go in the E150. Still talk about going in the E250 and F250, but not until volume gets ramped up.

The 6.8L is on track for 2011, 2012MY after Ford and Navistar split. Much of the design work on this engine was actually done in the US !

I guess I'll have to buy a few more beers down at Cheli's !

• 1 month later...
The 2009 F-150 is now on the Ford website. There is no Diesel engine listed. They will be offering three V-8's I don't remember the specifics but I think it was a 4.6L 2V a 4.6L 3V and a 5.4L one of which was flex fuel.

don't even see a point in buying a 2009 F-150 with the older Engines, i would wait for the new engines and then buy one.

Since ford plans on putting in the 4.6 and the 5.4 V8's which will be upgraded but will still be owned buy the Ram hemi. My only option is to upgrade the current 6.8 V10 for more power, Torque and FE and put that in the F-150. I know this sounds goofy and probley a stupid idea but its really the only option to keep the F-150 Competive untill the 6.2 V8 and the diesel arrive.

The 2009 F-150 is now on the Ford website. There is no Diesel engine listed. They will be offering three V-8's I don't remember the specifics but I think it was a 4.6L 2V a 4.6L 3V and a 5.4L one of which was flex fuel.

These are the launch dates for new engines I heard from people who work on the assembly line. Idk if they changed any but here they are.

6.2L V8 about 425hp 425 lbs/tq--- about 6 mos. after 09 F150 initial launch

4.4L Turbo Diesel V8 about 350hp 515 lbs/tq---- about 12 mos. after initial launch

3.5/3.7 TTDI V6 about 415hp 350 lbs/tq---- about 12 mos. after initial launch

3.5/3.7L V6 250ish hp and lbs/tq somewhere near 300 not sure---either 6mos. or 12mos. dont remember which one sorry.

6.2L TTDI 500-600hp and similar lbs/tq----at least 12 mos after initial launch probably closer to 24 mos.

Well know more at the Chicago Show in Feb.

don't even see a point in buying a 2009 F-150 with the older Engines, i would wait for the new engines and then buy one.

Since ford plans on putting in the 4.6 and the 5.4 V8's which will be upgraded but will still be owned buy the Ram hemi. My only option is to upgrade the current 6.8 V10 for more power, Torque and FE and put that in the F-150. I know this sounds goofy and probley a stupid idea but its really the only option to keep the F-150 Competive untill the 6.2 V8 and the diesel arrive.

Also as for the current engines. They will have more hp and lbs/tq. That plus the new 6 speed auto and the 100 lbs that the new F150 has lost due to its new frame made fo stronger lighter steel should make for quite a noticeable gain in performace.

I wouldnt count the F150 out power wise even with its current engines. The lbs/tq output of the 5.4 isnt that much lower than the competition. Idk if your aware of this but the F150 outtows the competition even though it has less hp. Hp isnt everything. Also for FE, the v10 will get worse i believe. The new F150 has gained at least(maybe more depending on engine) 1mpg on the upgraded drivetrains.

Also as for the current engines. They will have more hp and lbs/tq. That plus the new 6 speed auto and the 100 lbs that the new F150 has lost due to its new frame made fo stronger lighter steel should make for quite a noticeable gain in performace.

I wouldnt count the F150 out power wise even with its current engines. The lbs/tq output of the 5.4 isnt that much lower than the competition. Idk if your aware of this but the F150 outtows the competition even though it has less hp. Hp isnt everything. Also for FE, the v10 will get worse i believe. The new F150 has gained at least(maybe more depending on engine) 1mpg on the upgraded drivetrains.

HP went up considerably when Ford went from 2 to 3 valves; is going from 3 to 4 valves an option for increased hp/torque?

From what I've read, the modulars are overall good engines. Aren't they good enough to keep around to be used in cars, especially since RWD is going to make a return to Ford's lineup?

These are the launch dates for new engines I heard from people who work on the assembly line. Idk if they changed any but here they are.

4.4L Turbo Diesel V8 about 350hp 515 lbs/tq---- about 12 mos. after initial launch

These sound like engine Job #1 dates. Add about 3 months for them to show up in vehicles.

BTW, that is a very impressive date for the 6.2L It sounds like it got pulled up by 6 months or more. There was a plan at one time to put the V10 in the '09 F150. Obviously this pull ahead killed that idea.

3.5/3.7L V6 250ish hp and lbs/tq somewhere near 300 not sure---either 6mos. or 12mos. dont remember which one sorry.

6.2L TTDI 500-600hp and similar lbs/tq----at least 12 mos after initial launch probably closer to 24 mos.

Well know more at the Chicago Show in Feb.

TT 3.5 is probably closer to '11 MY, diesel is 2010.5-ish.

TT 3.5 is probably closer to '11 MY, diesel is 2010.5-ish.

Well if its released in the fall of 2008 a year later would be the fall of 2009. Add the 3 mos that wizard was talking about and were talking about sometime in 2010. Makes sense I guess. Hope we here more at Chicago Auto show.