Michigan Budget to affect Big 3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, that article barely nipped why Granholm should be recalled. All it did was ramble on and on about a recall and touched briefly on semantics behind it.

Granholm has been a bit of a disappointment in my eyes, and she has made some major missteps. Yet, when it comes down to it you can't blame every damn thing wrong with the state on her. What I would like to see going forward, whether it be from Granholm or someone else, is a diversification of the state's economy. Engler didn't do it and Granholm hasn't either. With that said, let's not turn this into some sort of partisan pissing match because the blame falls equally on the democrats and republicans as a whole. Something that is oh so evident in the Metro Detroit region.

Just can't have your cake and eat it too. The state of Florida doesn't have an income tax, but you best believe you get pilaged big time when it comes time to pay your property taxes. And what happened to the tax bill this year, it was deep sixed........even though my house will be off my hands in a month I still wrote my local politicians to voice my concerns about how displeased I am.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

OK, that article barely nipped why Granholm should be recalled. All it did was ramble on and on about a recall and touched briefly on semantics behind it.

Granholm has been a bit of a disappointment in my eyes, and she has made some major missteps. Yet, when it comes down to it you can't blame every damn thing wrong with the state on her. What I would like to see going forward, whether it be from Granholm or someone else, is a diversification of the state's economy. Engler didn't do it and Granholm hasn't either. With that said, let's not turn this into some sort of partisan pissing match because the blame falls equally on the democrats and republicans as a whole. Something that is oh so evident in the Metro Detroit region.

Just can't have your cake and eat it too. The state of Florida doesn't have an income tax, but you best believe you get pilaged big time when it comes time to pay your property taxes. And what happened to the tax bill this year, it was deep sixed........even though my house will be off my hands in a month I still wrote my local politicians to voice my concerns about how displeased I was.

I always like that, lol. "Somethings going wrong, stupid politicians." "Oh good, things are getting better, stupid politicians." Funny.

Just can't have your cake and eat it too. The state of Florida doesn't have an income tax, but you best believe you get pilaged big time when it comes time to pay your property taxes. And what happened to the tax bill this year, it was deep sixed........even though my house will be off my hands in a month I still wrote my local politicians to voice my concerns about how displeased I am.

But you kinda missed my point. The root problem with the residents of this state is that they have been spoiled for years. I hate to crash the party but it's over!

I think that all of you are missing the point on Granholm- look at all the wonderful things she did for the state!

She did bring a 200 employee engineering office from Toyota with $9 million of taxpayer money. Now only 199,800 manufacturing jobs have to be made up.

She did diversify the economy- look at how many Wal-Marts are opening up, not to mention all the moving companies that have been busy moving people out of this state.

She saved us a lot of money by cancelling all these road projects. I can get a lot of reading done in the time I spend in traffic.

She implemented "Cool Cities!!" How cool is that! It makes me feel a lot better when we all loose our homes that we can sleep on a sidewalk of a "Cool City."

Look at how she created all this industrial and commercial space. With Wixom, and Phizer, and Volkswagen, and Electrolux, and Comerica moving out, any potential shopping center developer will have plenty of space to choose from!

^ Yes and all of that can be attributed to Granholm :hysterical:

Don't even get me started on new road construction programs, when you have exsisting infrastructure falling apart and crashing through the winshields of cars passing underneath. All because people decide to move further and further out, expecting roads to follow them and make their lives easier. :finger: :finger:

^ Yes and all of that can be attributed to Granholm :hysterical:

Don't even get me started on new road construction programs, when you have exsisting infrastructure falling apart and crashing through the winshields of cars passing underneath. All because people decide to move further and further out, expecting roads to follow them and make their lives easier. :finger: :finger:

Well, it's cause living in Detroit or really close to it is a losing preposition.

Well, it's cause living in Detroit or really close to it is a losing preposition.

Mehhh, I don't really see that as being the case. Now what Detroit once stood for is a lost case, or the state for that matter....better yet the entire rust belt.

They really absolutely most work on diversification up there, that is the only way the state is going to find itself out of the hole it's in now.

Mehhh, I don't really see that as being the case. Now what Detroit once stood for is a lost case, or the state for that matter....better yet the entire rust belt.

They really absolutely most work on diversification up there, that is the only way the state is going to find itself out of the hole it's in now.

Detroit, where dead people vote.

Diversification will be nearly impossible. Why should any business come to the Detroit area? Detroit has such a negative association that will be nearly impossible to shake. No manufacturing wants to go there, the Unions crash meetings to demand they unionize/hire union workers (see the debacle of Toyota coming her to consider a plant). No tech wants to come here because they couldn't recruit. With the sole exception of Google, you can't hire top talent to Michigan. I'm sorry, but as a general rule degrees from non top tier schools like CMU/EMU/MSU/WMU/MTech/etc don't land you top entry level jobs at Tech firms. So if manufacturing, technology, and R&D (pfizer for example) are all leaving Michigan or don't want to go there, what does that leave? There really is no compelling reason for Michigan to be any more populated than Maine or Minnesota/Wisconsin unless the US starts running out of water.

Diversification will be nearly impossible. Why should any business come to the Detroit area? Detroit has such a negative association that will be nearly impossible to shake. No manufacturing wants to go there, the Unions crash meetings to demand they unionize/hire union workers (see the debacle of Toyota coming her to consider a plant). No tech wants to come here because they couldn't recruit. With the sole exception of Google, you can't hire top talent to Michigan. I'm sorry, but as a general rule degrees from non top tier schools like CMU/EMU/MSU/WMU/MTech/etc don't land you top entry level jobs at Tech firms. So if manufacturing, technology, and R&D (pfizer for example) are all leaving Michigan or don't want to go there, what does that leave? There really is no compelling reason for Michigan to be any more populated than Maine or Minnesota/Wisconsin unless the US starts running out of water.

Ahh yes... Detroit or as I affectionately call it D-TOILET is where people are in a breed of their own. Look at King Kwame for an example and tell me why anyone would want to invest, spend, or live there!

As I mentioned... Businesses will continue to turn away Michigan across all levels thanks to the existing political environment and the built-up arrogance people here have.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

There are still alot of things wrong with the Metro area, but what makes you think business diversification is nearly impossible? I also wouldn't be so quick to discredit those that end up at second tier schools, I know many of them that make a pretty damn good living for themselves in highly skilled and technical jobs. That statement screams arrogrance and ignorance.

Its so amusing how people continue to let their own personal issues with government and/or a specific region clout reality.

There are still alot of things wrong with the Metro area, but what makes you think business diversification is nearly impossible? I also wouldn't be so quick to discredit those that end up at second tier schools, I know many of them that make a pretty damn good living for themselves in highly skilled and technical jobs. That statement screams arrogrance and ignorance.

Its so amusing how people continue to let their own personal issues with government and/or a specific region clout reality.

Umm, I said that top tech firms have those requirements. Intel, Microsoft, Sandisk, Apple, etc. I have friends that go to those second tier schools and they are plenty smart, just unlikely to get a job at a big tech company compared to someone from a top tier school.

The point was that big tech normally leads the way, and since there is no reason for them to move to Michigan I don't believe smaller tech firms will follow.

If manufacturing and tech shun Michigan, what does that leave for "diversifying"?

Umm, I said that top tech firms have those requirements. Intel, Microsoft, Sandisk, Apple, etc. I have friends that go to those second tier schools and they are plenty smart, just unlikely to get a job at a big tech company compared to someone from a top tier school.

The point was that big tech normally leads the way, and since there is no reason for them to move to Michigan I don't believe smaller tech firms will follow.

If manufacturing and tech shun Michigan, what does that leave for "diversifying"?

Well I don't know who you do, but I know plenty that didn't go to a big name university that have ended up with jobs at high profile companies.

Besides there are many different approachs in 'growing' a regions economy. Medicine, Reasearch and financial are just a few of many examples. Everything does not have to revolve around tech and manufacturing.

Well I don't know who you do, but I know plenty that didn't go to a big name university that have ended up with jobs at high profile companies.

Besides there are many different approachs in 'growing' a regions economy. Medicine, Reasearch and financial are just a few of many examples. Everything does not have to revolve around tech and manufacturing.

Medicine is a maybe. But you can only have more health care jobs if you have people still here that need health care. And Pfizer just shut down a research facility in Ann Arbor.

Research, I'm iffy on that. Michigan only has ONE research university where as places that are hot like Boston for start ups, the southeast (NC and Georgia) for research, and the west (Cali/Washington/Arizona to some extent) for tech have many more nearby. They also have better weather and governments that don't almost shut down.

Financial is a pipe dream. Comerica left already. Big financial centers like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, have NOTHING in common with Detroit. Go to the financial districts in those cities, look at the people, how they dress, how they act. Tell me you could see that in downtown Detroit.

Detroit signed its death warrant when it became a "black" city with "white" suburbs.

No, I just don't think much of comments of that nature.

It's not a racist comment, it's a fact. It's actually known as "white flight". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

Most of the cities listed as having severe cases are in similar shape to Detroit. They also have VERY high crime rates and unemployment. Detroit was a great city prior to the 60s/70s.

It's not a racist comment, it's a fact. It's actually known as "white flight". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

Most of the cities listed as having severe cases are in similar shape to Detroit. They also have VERY high crime rates and unemployment. Detroit was a great city prior to the 60s/70s.

I agree it's true, but there is usually some underlying cause.

Medicine is a maybe. But you can only have more health care jobs if you have people still here that need health care. And Pfizer just shut down a research facility in Ann Arbor.

Research, I'm iffy on that. Michigan only has ONE research university where as places that are hot like Boston for start ups, the southeast (NC and Georgia) for research, and the west (Cali/Washington/Arizona to some extent) for tech have many more nearby. They also have better weather and governments that don't almost shut down.

Financial is a pipe dream. Comerica left already. Big financial centers like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, have NOTHING in common with Detroit. Go to the financial districts in those cities, look at the people, how they dress, how they act. Tell me you could see that in downtown Detroit.

Detroit signed its death warrant when it became a "black" city with "white" suburbs.

One research university eh? Which one might that be?

Detroit doesn't have to be a major player on a national level to become successful to start, all it takes is a little ingenuity and right time right place scenarios. Major global cities did not establish themselves overnight.

I also LOVE how you have dumbed down your argument to how people dress and act. I mean seriously if you aren't beating around the bush about stereotypes, then where are you going with that statement? There are PLENTY of professionals within the city limits and surrounding suburbs.

Oh and your death warrant thing, just goes to prove that you have some sort of ill conceived notion about what the city is and what it stands for. Seriously, you really need to open your eyes and be a bit more reaonsable.