New Lincoln Models

HAHAHAHAHAHA!...........only a matter of time that came out wasn't it. Question though....why are you so hostile towards Jaguar?

Because it's responsible for Lincoln's current situation.

The S197 seems like an extremely hopeless cause... good thing the Huntsman is on the way.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nick, the S197 (D2c) was examined repeatedly to see if it was suitable for a Lincoln. But it isn't. Any Lincoln derivative would require a complete tearup of the rear end for IRS (which was designed for Mustang but not implemented), a complete sheet metal set, new interior, and a completely upgraded electrical system to handle all the accessories (this is not a piece of cake). And when you're done with that, you have to go back to the front suspension to see if it's capable of delivering Lincoln (vs. Ford) attributes.

Putting this model in the plant wouldn't be easy, and handling 2 different suspensions would be tough as space is very limited. So, all in all, the investment would be quite high (my guess would be $500-600 million) and the potential sales low and I can't see that it would be a wise financial decision.

I can image this proposal was reviewed yet again and someone put sketches to it. They might even have leaked them externally to try to build support internally. But I can also imagine that the result was the same. This is not a good idea IMO. But if it's included in the planning from the beginning for whatever new RWD platform comes to the US, then it's much more likely it could be implemented successfully at a lower investment.

you Engineering guys KILL me, along with questions about a cars curb weight ( Only really important if one go's Ice Fishing ) you lose us non techno heads with abbreviations such as S197....is THAT the Flex????? remember SOME of us like the KISS system...proven AND 100% reliable...........

Because it's responsible for Lincoln's current situation.

The S197 seems like an extremely hopeless cause... good thing the Huntsman is on the way.

I would say Ford is the culprit there...they F'ed up jag as well.........not that it was a knight in shining armour to start with either. Reminds me of a song "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights....."

Edited by Deanh

you Engineering guys KILL me, along with questions about a cars curb weight ( Only really important if one go's Ice Fishing ) you lose us non techno heads with abbreviations such as S197....is THAT the Flex????? remember SOME of us like the KISS system...proven AND 100% reliable...........

Sorry.

S197 is the present Mustang. D2c is the platform it rides on which is used only on the Mustang.

Curb wait for the Tbird/Cougar of that time was around 3659lbs. I remember this from the registration since I had one with the 4.6L V8, then went into a 97 Mark8, which with @290HP (with the optional Sport package-base power was 280HP), it was around 3820lbs., but I do remember some magazine test getting 6.4Sec with it.

It's really not any different with the "fat ass" LS I'm driving now, also with 280HP and 3715lbs. Took a look at even a Fusion AWD loaded curb weight, and you'll see how suddenly the ''fat assed'' MN12 platform doesn't seem to look that porky. What sucked for MN12 was that it was very costly, very sophisticated, and poor interior space for it's relatively large exterior size. I see a pattern with Ford getting rid of their most sophisticated platforms, MN12, DEW98 and my bets are one generation more of D3 before they nix it...

1 outa three aint bad nick.....styling worked, powertrin was a MASSIVE step up in refinment from the mustangs.....

I don't think the styling worked at all. It worked when it was a show car, but was tired by the time it actually came out around 2 years later.

Massive step up in refinement...maybe....but the T-bird needed more POWER. Of course, as flimsy as DEW98 was with the roof cut off, I'd hate to see what a 4.6 would have done to its chassis when you floored it.

Well, there were some engineering sketches awhile back that leaked out that appeared to be the Lincoln version. It did indeed have an entirely different profile and roofline. Should appear sometime next year.

I never saw those, I'm eagerly awaiting its debut, or anything that will preview it's design.

Remember many months back, there was a pic that was taken by someone, somewhere, and it showed how the Flex or Lincoln vehicle would match in size to it's competitors, one of them being a MBenz? I do have that pic saved though, and if you look thru the lines you can sort of make the shape of the Lincoln variant.

Remember many months back, there was a pic that was taken by someone, somewhere, and it showed how the Flex or Lincoln vehicle would match in size to it's competitors, one of them being a MBenz? I do have that pic saved though, and if you look thru the lines you can sort of make the shape of the Lincoln variant.

I'm not sure if I ever saw that pic.

A while back a pic (see below) was posted over at the AWCC, it was at an autoshow (dont remember which one) nobody knew what it was, some thought it may have been the Lincoln Flex, not sure what it is either, maybe some of you have an idea....

post-28332-1191776983_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Something I was thinking of the new Lincoln Flex crossover...since really not much has been seen, no spy picks, etc. I would say Ford should pick some day on some half-time sports game, and release it on a commercial for the first time. Create the drama, create the publicity that IT WILL be released on such a commercial. OR, as they did some years ago, they tied all the networks at the same time, to release (this was during Billy's reign) a commercial about all Ford vehicles which ran about 2-3 minutes if I remember correctly. And they can do this to release the new Lincoln Flex-like vehicle.

Something I was thinking of the new Lincoln Flex crossover...since really not much has been seen, no spy picks, etc. I would say Ford should pick some day on some half-time sports game, and release it on a commercial for the first time. Create the drama, create the publicity that IT WILL be released on such a commercial. OR, as they did some years ago, they tied all the networks at the same time, to release (this was during Billy's reign) a commercial about all Ford vehicles which ran about 2-3 minutes if I remember correctly. And they can do this to release the new Lincoln Flex-like vehicle.

The ad showcasing every FoMoCo product several years back was actually during Nasser's era.

The ad showcasing every FoMoCo product several years back was actually during Nasser's era.

I think another Ford lineup add would be good right now, not all that dissimilar from the Bold Moves ad a while back featuring Ford's new 07/08 models (Escape, Edge, Fusion, Super Duty, I think Mustang was in there, it also had a glimpse of Taurus too), Mike Rowe did the voiceover.

This time it should feature the whole lineup though.