New Lincoln Models

Well there isnt much wiggle room for the Flex either...considering that topped out Edge is like 36-38K and the Taurus X is around the same price with an extra seat in it.

What's wrong with similar pricing? Stop thinking that the Sloan model of a car for every price is what we need. What we need is a car for every person. If the Edge and Flex have the same price range, maybe the person that liked the Edge but it wasn't "JUST RIGHT" will find the Flex "JUST RIGHT" and vice versa.

The Taurus X, Edge, and Flex could all be priced $25k-$38k. They are different enough.

Price gap is only relevant in cases like selling a Fusion at Focus prices.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^The Flex will be priced above the other 2 - it offers a lot more ... it will overlap, but not completely.

Igor

Correct, and this can be inferred even from a cost of production standpoint. The Flex will be using the next-generation D3 platform debuting with the MKS next year, and is a physically larger vehicle. Therefore, there will be a slight premium when comparing the Taurus X to the Flex. It is also unlikely the Taurus X will survive the MY2010 redesign of the Taurus.

The Lincoln Flex (MKY?) will compare with loaded Buick Enclaves on the bottom end, and lightly optioned Mercedes R350s on the upper end. Expect a base price of perhaps $40,000, and topping out near $60,000 with every amenity and luxury feature available. I would also expect the Twin Force 3.5 to be an optional engine above the 3.7 for upper-echelon models. This leaves plenty of room for the Flex to sell from $28,000 to $45,000.

For $60,000, imagine this:

3.5L Twin Force: 425hp

Performance AWD

All heated & cooled leather seating for 6

Real wood and metal accents throughout

DVD Navi with THX II sound

Rear seat entertainment

Vista roof (screens would be in headrests)

Ambiant lighting

20" chrome rims

LED head and taillights

What vehicle compares at 60k?

Correct, and this can be inferred even from a cost of production standpoint. The Flex will be using the next-generation D3 platform debuting with the MKS next year, and is a physically larger vehicle. Therefore, there will be a slight premium when comparing the Taurus X to the Flex. It is also unlikely the Taurus X will survive the MY2010 redesign of the Taurus.

The Lincoln Flex (MKY?) will compare with loaded Buick Enclaves on the bottom end, and lightly optioned Mercedes R350s on the upper end. Expect a base price of perhaps $40,000, and topping out near $60,000 with every amenity and luxury feature available. I would also expect the Twin Force 3.5 to be an optional engine above the 3.7 for upper-echelon models. This leaves plenty of room for the Flex to sell from $28,000 to $45,000.

For $60,000, imagine this:

3.5L Twin Force: 425hp

Performance AWD

All heated & cooled leather seating for 6

Real wood and metal accents throughout

DVD Navi with THX II sound

Rear seat entertainment

Vista roof (screens would be in headrests)

Ambiant lighting

20" chrome rims

LED head and taillights

What vehicle compares at 60k?

Do people want such a vehicle for 60k?

Do people want such a vehicle for 60k?

Well, they're buying the Mercedes minivan aren't they? They're not cheap you know. I think the MKFlex will eventually replace the Navigator, there's no reason for the Navigator once the MKFlex hits the lot. The Navi isn't famous with the rappers or their wannabes, nor is it famous with the exact opposite. It won't be missed.

Well, they're buying the Mercedes minivan aren't they? They're not cheap you know. I think the MKFlex will eventually replace the Navigator, there's no reason for the Navigator once the MKFlex hits the lot. The Navi isn't famous with the rappers or their wannabes, nor is it famous with the exact opposite. It won't be missed.

Ford makes $15k(or something like that) profit per Navigator sold. I'd say there is a reason to sell one.

Are you sure your a real Lincoln fan? The navigator embodies what Lincoln is.

Ummm, didn't Ford already try to sell a *nice* car, but for a *very* high price?

Did they learn their lesson from the Thunderbird sales slide?

$25k-$40k seems like a more rational, sellable figure for the target market.

It's a Lincoln. We don't even know ANYTHING about it yet, so I really wish that people would stop the assumptions.

Ummm, didn't Ford already try to sell a *nice* car, but for a *very* high price?

When the TBird came out dealers were charging $10k markups. I can't imagine how many customers that turned away. I wouldn't go back to buy a car from a dealer a year later when he tried to screw me before.

No way is the Flex worth more than $50k. it's too damn different and will not cater to everyone.

and say the SLR is mainstream and everyone loves it?

it is the "different cars" that command premium - if you are in the middle of the road, you have 5 other vehicles offering exactly the same features - so you compete on image and price. When you are different - you stand alone, and people buy you and pay premium to escape the "mainstream" blah options.

Why do you think iPod shot up as fast as it did? all because of image and " being different when it debuted. They are overpriced and still sell in droves.

Igor

The Thunderbird was nice?? :hysterical: The Thunderbird didn't deserve its high price. There was nothing luxurious about it. Recent Lincolns don't seem to have a shortage of luxury and quality that the T-Bird terribly lacked.

The $60K price quote was for the Lincoln variant....not the Flex. I can't see a loaded out Lincoln version hitting $60K though...base model probably will start somewhere around $39K or so with pricing topping out around $52K...just my thoughts.

Last time I checked, people aren't really buying the R class. That's why BMW has decided not to develop an R-class type vehicle.

I think Navigator should/will stick around, getting rid of it would be quite a few customers to abandon. If you think about it, its been around since 98, one of Lincolns few recent constantly selling vehicles (the other being Town Car), plus most people know what a Navigator is. Navigator customers may not want a Flex type vehicle either.

What is sad is that Lincoln created the large luxury suv segment and owned it while Cadillac tried to catch up. Sadly, Cadillac has now conquered the segment in conjunction with Land Rover and Mercedes and the Navigator goes practically unnoticed.

What is sad is that Lincoln created the large luxury suv segment and owned it while Cadillac tried to catch up. Sadly, Cadillac has now conquered the segment in conjunction with Land Rover and Mercedes and the Navigator goes practically unnoticed.

It's cause the Escalade became the HipHop vehicle of choice.

That was correct...again, Ford let a vehicle rot, not differentiating it more as a luxury Full Size SUV, and tha paltry 300HP isn't enough. Ironically, if we study both unbiasly, the Navigator is actually a much better vehicle all around. All the Escalade has is better marketing, and larger engine...

That was correct...again, Ford let a vehicle rot, not differentiating it more as a luxury Full Size SUV, and tha paltry 300HP isn't enough. Ironically, if we study both unbiasly, the Navigator is actually a much better vehicle all around. All the Escalade has is better marketing, and larger engine...

The first Escalade was a Denali with a Crest and Wreath badge. The 2nd gen was almost that bad too.

The first Escalade was a Denali with a Crest and Wreath badge. The 2nd gen was almost that bad too.

The Denali was actually programmed to be a Cadillac but Cadillac refused at first. It ended up going to GMC with a simple grille change. The success of the Navigator took Cadillac by surprise and the original programmed grille ended up on the production model.

Why would someone immediately exclude a car just because it doesn't have HID's? I really don't get the fascination with them. They are nice, but it's hardly what I would consider a deal-breaker if the rest of the car meets expectations.

Self-leveling HID's are a world of difference in lighting on a GTI. I certainly see the value of them.