Pricing Question

Three letters

U -- A -- W

lol

Yeah. Because we all know that the Germans don't use unionized labor. :redcard:

Try again. How about, because the Passat isn't even in the same class of vehicles? Duh.

Try comparing like vehicles. Like the Fusion to the Passat. Dumbasses. :finger:

So much for the Passat being cheaper:

Taurus SEL FWD 23,995

Passat Turbo w stick 24555

Not to mention the Passat goes for nearly $38K with a V6 in it!

Yeah, I just did a comparison too.

LINK

Imagine that. Even with the UAW, you can get a larger American made vehicle with more standard features than a smaller foreign built vehicle.

Dumbasses. The both of you.

Edited by Pioneer

Because in Europe they collect VAT on all new cars, which is basically how the corporations pay taxes, but when they export they get a full VAT credit. This effectively making all exported vehicles tax free to the corporation. Europe basically has a consumption based tax system, where as in the US we tax based on income. Because of the US tax structure we are actually at a disadvantage exporting to foreign countries.

They have also been absorbing the cost of the dropping dollar, but apparently have reached a point where they can no longer do it, so expect to see a price increase on European cars in the very near future.

Because in Europe they collect VAT on all new cars, which is basically how the corporations pay taxes, but when they export they get a full VAT credit. This effectively making all exported vehicles tax free to the corporation. Europe basically has a consumption based tax system, where as in the US we tax based on income. Because of the US tax structure we are actually at a disadvantage exporting to foreign countries.

They have also been absorbing the cost of the dropping dollar, but apparently have reached a point where they can no longer do it, so expect to see a price increase on European cars in the very near future.

They tax income in Europe too. Also, when you tax consumption goods you are in effect taxing income anyway as the income you pay can afford less because of the increased price of goods.

Yeah. Because we all know that the Germans don't use unionized labor. :redcard:

Try again. How about, because the Passat isn't even in the same class of vehicles? Duh.

Try comparing like vehicles. Like the Fusion to the Passat. Dumbasses. :finger:

Hey I just thought it was funny that a 37 hour work week, plus 5 weeks off vacation, bank holidays and retirement benefits still isn't even close to what a UAW worker gets. lol Dumb ass is two words by the way not one. Dumb ass.

Hey I just thought it was funny that a 37 hour work week, plus 5 weeks off vacation, bank holidays and retirement benefits still isn't even close to what a UAW worker gets. lol Dumb ass is two words by the way not one. Dumb ass.

"Dumbass" is one word used to describe an idiotic person. "Dumb ass" is a stupid donkey. I guess either will do in your case, but I prefer the former.

"Dumbass" is one word used to describe an idiotic person. "Dumb ass" is a stupid donkey. I guess either will do in your case, but I prefer the former.

Oh calm yourself Pioneer, it was just a little UAW joke and look at you, you're all wrapped around the axle ready to take the gloves off. You're too high strung boy. Who cares if the Passat is cheaper then the Taurus or the other way around? From the pricing I've looked at they're pretty much priced in the same ball park so it's just going to come down to what the individual consumer wants.

post-19198-1123377968_thumb.jpg

Its not -- they just sell it that way to get people in the show room, there's a reason VW lost 1,000,000,000 dollars here last year. The Euro is killing them, just as its killing Volvo, BMW, Benz. The cost of a 3 series is up 20% in 5years, and the euro is up 40%. That is the reason VW has said if it wants to compete here it MUST have a plant here.

The question is how is GM making a profit on a $16000 car, made in germany. Your telling me it only costs 8,000euros to make an Astra?

Forget the price, who would want to buy a VW? One of the most unreliable cars I've ever had to deal with at arms length...it's down there in reliability with Kias and other substandard products. Nasty little cars...

Although I do give them credit for their interiors...Nice materials, great presentation and tactile feel....when it works....

Actually, the cost to produce a vehicle in Europe isn't much different than it is here. The adjusted cost of the materials is similar to what we pay in the US. Their true labor cost may be lower than ours (they have socialized medicine and retirement benfiits where here the companies have been responsible to provide for that) but they loose it in some of their taxes. So, out the door, production costs are comparable. They gain on not having a VAT for exports, but loose in the exchange rate. This should be a wash, but, lately, the Euro has been outstripping the dollar to a higher degree and costing them money.