2008 Focus SECOND in Consumer Reports Comparo

igor

I got a word that the November Issue of CR tested small cars .. and 2008 Ford Focus pleased SECOND mere ONE POINT behind the Civic, beating the Mazda3 ..

I have not seen the article yet, but will post more if I find out - please post more info if you have it.

Igor

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mere fact the Civic beat the Mazda3 shows how worthless and laughable this comparo is.

C1 Focus would've been the #1 pick for 4 years in a row now.

The kinetic update would've made the gap far bigger than 1 pt.

Just a little perspective, that's all.

Edited by pcsario

Or maybe, you don't represent the general population.

If that Mazda was a Toyota it would have won every year by 10 points. Seriously, test drive a Mazda3 (which came out 4 years ago) a Corolla, a 2008 Focus, and a new Civic. You'll understand then.

If that Mazda was a Toyota it would have won every year by 10 points. Seriously, test drive a Mazda3 (which came out 4 years ago) a Corolla, a 2008 Focus, and a new Civic. You'll understand then.

I said, maybe he doesn't represent the general population, maybe you don't either. Have you driven a 2008 focus?

Ah the blatant bias and blindness .. the Mazda3 is the enthusiast's choice, but it is too tight inside, it is sprung too firm and its engine is too powerful / too thirsty for the general public .. it is a good looking car inside and out - but it is not a "perfect ideal awesome compact" the way auto rags and online forums paint it to be .. just like the Jetta/Rabbit it serves a particular niche and serves it VERY well .. but the Civic is the mainstream Compact .. it is efficient, spacious and done right ..

if you want a non-enthusiast, close-to-real world comparison - turn to ifcar ... not surprisingly last year Focus was 3rd after Versa and Elantra - Civic was 5th, Mazda3 6th.

http://www.ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.economysedans.htm

Igor

Edited by igor

I said, maybe he doesn't represent the general population, maybe you don't either. Have you driven a 2008 focus?

No, but that is irrelevant to my point that the Mazda would have killed the last 4 years of comparisons except this year if it was a Toyota.

Ah the blatant bias and blindness .. the Mazda3 is the enthusiast's choice, but it is too tight inside, it is sprung too firm and its engine is too powerful / too thirsty for the general public .. it is a good looking car inside and out - but it is not a "perfect ideal awesome compact" the way auto rags and online forums paint it to be .. just like the Jetta/Rabbit it serves a particular niche and serves it VERY well .. but the Civic is the mainstream Compact .. it is efficient, spacious and done right ..

if you want a non-enthusiast, close-to-real world comparison - turn to ifcar ...

Igor

Thank you Igor.

if you want a non-enthusiast, close-to-real world comparison - turn to ifcar ...

Igor

Pretty good summation....which is why I liked the Mazda3. But I can see the mainstream appeal of the others in comparison.

:finger:

Yeah I guess Franky is better than the updated 2008 C1 Focus.

The pre-updated model was only bested by the GTI/Rabbit and the Volvo S40.

Again, just a little perspective for people like you and 630lalaland, who keep rooting for mediocrity.

Edited by pcsario

No, but that is irrelevant to my point that the Mazda would have killed the last 4 years of comparisons except this year if it was a Toyota.

no it wouldn't ... but you and PC and some others will never see it .. because YOUR opinion is god to you ... I love my Mazda3 to death .. I would trade the 7mpg hwy for the extra 50 ft;lbs of torque (compared to Civic) and the C1 Chassis anytime .. I also like it more than the US Focus ... but that is ME .. the general public, the Fisu is a better car than the Mazda3, unless you are specifically looking for sport-compacts (Also think Astra) or "luxurious like a midsize, but smaller" (then also think VW's)

Igor

The mere fact the Civic beat the Mazda3 shows how worthless and laughable this comparo is.

C1 Focus would've been the #1 pick for 4 years in a row now.

The kinetic update would've made the gap far bigger than 1 pt.

Just a little perspective, that's all.

Way to contradict yourself. The comparo is laughable and worthless, but had the C1 Focus been available and included it would have been the No. 1 pick?

If the test is that worthless then why does it matter where the C1 would have placed, or how many points it earned?

Way to contradict yourself. The comparo is laughable and worthless, but had the C1 Focus been available and included it would have been the No. 1 pick?

If the test is that worthless then why does it matter where the C1 would have placed, or how many points it earned?

The Mazda3 is a better car all things considered. I've driven both.

There's a lot of wind/ground noise in the Civic, it has inferior brakes, quality has been so-so, etc.

You missed the point.

Edited by pcsario

What broke?

No, no. Inferior breaks. Meaning when the Mazda3 breaks, it does it more severely than the Civic. After all, Mazda does pretty poor on quality studies. Seriously though, that could be another reason the Mazda3 gets knocked down a couple of pegs on several comparisons.

Also, one of the most interesting entries for the segment this year, WASN'T included, making the comparo even more worthless.

http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/lancer/2008/review.html

Comparos almost never include everyone and you know it. besides that, if the comparo had said the Focus was crap, you would have talked about it as if it was the holy grail.

Also, one of the most interesting entries for the segment this year, WASN'T included, making the comparo even more worthless.

grabbing straws much?

- if this is about CR - no one published any more info - including the full list of testers yet - so how do you know it was not there?

- if this is about ifcar, the new Lancer was not out yet .. so "the most interesting entry" comment is moot

- regardless this does not change the fact that publications trying to cater to consumers, and not 500hp-is-too-little RWD-for-life enthusiasts rank the Focus above such overhyped entries as Sentra, Mazda3 and others.

-finally it is obvious you cannot get it through your head that this could even be possible .. that someone could like a car YOU do not like ..

Whatevs .. got to get back to work you kids continue bickering and scratching your balls on how your "its ugly as sin" bias completely clouded your judgment of the fact, that the 08 Focus is actually a very competitive entry into the segment in the US auto market.

Igor

Edited by igor

consumer reports last month magazine tested the lancer, sentra, the hyundia entry in the compact and said none of them live up to the focus and civic, which are the class leaders. btw the 2007 focus is the one that placed 2nd 1 pt behind the civic. Unless there is a new report out, as far as I know consumer reports hasn't tested the 08 yet.

CR usually judges a vehicle on how well it does what it's designed to do. Is it designed to be a performance oriented sports compact? Is it designed to be an economical people mover with adequate room for people and luggage? Is it designed to be a very low priced entry level compact sedan? Is it designed for leading in class in economy? In order to understand how they judged it, you probably first need to figure out the purpose of the car.

Edited by Ralph Greene