Spy Photos: 2009 Ford F-150

DetroitWonk

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, cuz you sure can tell what it looks like with all that camo on. :finger:

Edmunds Exclusive Video of 2009 Ford F150

Shows the heavily-cladded 2009 F150 in motion (short video clip). I’m anxious to see the final product at the Detroit Auto show this January – enough to hold off purchasing an ’07 or ’08. We do know it will have the updated drivetrains at launch, the cab space will be bigger, and the interior is more upscale even and looking more like the Super Duty’s.

It’ll be interesting come January when this thing is unveiled to the world. As much as I love the Super Duty, I hope they keep the F150 more ‘tame’ and focus more on the comfort, driving dynamics, safety, etc than just “look at us, we are bigger, heavier, uglier, and more semi truck-like than the competitors.” I also hope it’s not like the latest Navigator/Expedition like update where they just seem to throw the original proportions off by “bolding” the grill and creating odd headlamp shapes.

I also hope it's not like the latest Navigator/Expedition like update where they just seem to throw the original proportions off by "bolding" the grill and creating odd headlamp shapes.

I don't think the Nav/Expy proportions are really off. I actually like the Expy's look now more than the previous one. The Navigator was just cursed with a ridiculously ugly snout. It's more a matter of the design than the proportions though.

I don't think the Nav/Expy proportions are really off. I actually like the Expy's look now more than the previous one. The Navigator was just cursed with a ridiculously ugly snout. It's more a matter of the design than the proportions though.

Well the proportions aren’t thrown off literally, rather it seems like the new snouts give the impression that the front clips are too big and heavy for the rest of the design. The classic example of this was the Silverado redesign in 2003. You had the chiseled angry front with the soft round side fenders and doors. Design just didn’t flow well I think.

I’m impressed with the latest Expedition – they have the drivetrain right, power fold down 3rd seat, but that front end looks to big and heavy for the rest of the truck. This is in contrast to the all new Tahoe. The Tahoe’s design, to me of course, flows really well. On the Expy you can tell that the front was just added on to the ‘old’ body-style. This was also the case for the 08 Super Duty. The front headlights are damn ugly mainly because the front was just tacked on to the old body. I know those are just “updates” but given Ford’s record, they really like to call them “all-new.” I just hope this isn’t the case with the 09 F150.

What's weird about that interior is that it appears to be in a regular cab truck.

They do the strangest things with prototypes and mockups. I doubt you will be able to get an interior that snazzy on a regular cab in real life.

Oh, and congrats, igor, you've achieved the rank of 'fanboy' from the mighty lords of Jalopnik.

It's the most recognition any of us have yet received.

What's weird about that interior is that it appears to be in a regular cab truck.

They do the strangest things with prototypes and mockups. I doubt you will be able to get an interior that snazzy on a regular cab in real life.

Yeah, not to mention what appear to be cup holders at the back of the armrest.

Two notes of interest on this interior:

The "Japanese"-type layout of six buttons, including placing the hazard lights activator on the dash, is continued to be seen here.

The Five Hundred and Fusion have this six-button row too. The prev-gen Focus had a hazard button in the middle, IIRC. The 2nd-gen Explorer had it on the steering wheel column, where a lot of domestics used to put it.

Second, the flat plastics used for the center of the dash on the Fusion is used here, suggesting similarity.

Also, da brick is integrated much, much better.

The bold round air vents continue to be a trend in Ford's truck-like offerings, including the Explorer and the Freestyle. Its cars have more modest rectangular air vents.

Edited by Roadrunner

Two notes of interest on this interior:

The "Japanese"-type layout of six buttons, including placing the hazard lights activator on the dash, is continued to be seen here.

I hate the dash-mounted hazard button in my Mazda6. It's right beneath the center air vents and I find myself accidentally hitting it whenever I reach over to adjust the vents. Does anyone really use their hazards often enough that it needs to be displayed so prominently in the center of the dashboard? Grrr.

I remember in the early 80's, some people would comment that the reason the asians placed their hazard button in the center dashboard console was because they broke down so often, that it needed to be easily reachable and indentifiable.

I've always liked BWM's hazzard light because upon impact, it would automatically turn the hazzards on, and unlock the doors so you could escape...I'm sure it wouldn't be that much effort to integrate such a thing on Fords.

I myself prefer the hazzard button onthe top of the steering wheel column. I dont need a red triangle that sticks out like a sore thumb with the rest of the green lit instrumentation...

I think the steering-column-mounted button was condemned because it was deemed "hard to find" in an emergency - or to be activated by passenger

.. I grew up in Europe where the dash mounded emergency button is a standard fare - so I do not mind it at all in my Mazda3.

Igor

Edited by igor

I hate the dash-mounted hazard button in my Mazda6. It's right beneath the center air vents and I find myself accidentally hitting it whenever I reach over to adjust the vents. Does anyone really use their hazards often enough that it needs to be displayed so prominently in the center of the dashboard? Grrr.

See, I like the hazard button in the middle -- and the emergency handbrake -- because it makes the Fusion seem more like its Japanese competitors.

More similarity in these minor things makes people feel more at home from what they might be switching from. Who was it that said, "Change or die?"

Not to be practical, but its a truck. When will someone recognize that and lower the box height or at least offer as an option a box with a lower height. this thing looks like a personal injury claim waiting to happen.

I think we're just seeing trucks get bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and...

Not to be practical, but its a truck. When will someone recognize that and lower the box height or at least offer as an option a box with a lower height. this thing looks like a personal injury claim waiting to happen.

there is a good chance there are foam extenders under the camo to diguise the true height of the bed.

There will be foldable steps right behind the cabin to ease access to the front of the bed.

Igor