2008 Focus launched on Fordvehicles.com !!!!

igor

The Mystichrome unfortunately never made it to production. It was originally planned for the ill-fated 2000 Cobra (it was shown on a '99 in concept form) and didn't make it to the '01 production. There weren't any silver Cobras to my recollection either...unless they were Terminators.

The 2004 Cobra had Mystichrome...

http://mysticcobra.net/04gallery1.shtml

I think the 2001-04 Cobras could be ordered in Silver...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the alternative at this point? Leave the car unchanged for another 3 years? Riiiiiight. We see how well that has worked for the Panthers.

The reskin was needed. And you nor I have any idea how much it actually cost to do. I seriously doubt it was enough to adversely effect any development going toward C2. The costs for the reskin were likely calculated and accounted for long before the plans for C2 were even set in stone.

Ford lost the Panther market in 1998. But lets stay on track.

The Focus is just a different body on the same chassis, same suspension, with the same engines. Actually...it is basically what Ford did with the Panthers in 1998.

What they should have done, is just stop Focus production all together in 2008, (overall sales are down for this year, almost 31% for Sept.),and say that it will be back in 2011 and promise that it will turn the compact market on its head. Then, in 2011, make good on the promise and release a car that will save the company. It's simple. Over-engineer ever last aspect of the car, test it to ensure no failures that would result in a recall, etc. The big thing is for Ford to take it's time.

What they should have done, is just stop Focus production all together in 2008, (overall sales are down for this year, almost 31% for Sept.),and say that it will be back in 2011 and promise that it will turn the compact market on its head. Then, in 2011, make good on the promise and release a car that will save the company. It's simple. Over-engineer ever last aspect of the car, test it to ensure no failures that would result in a recall, etc. The big thing is for Ford to take it's time.

Wow your a fucking idiot if you think thats possible! :redcard::finger: :finger: :finger:

You're insane. First, sales were down 31% in Sept because 2007s were cleared out waiting for 2008s to arrive. 2nd, you can't expect to pull a car from the market with the promise of the best car ever 3 years down the line. You'd kill any equity in that model name, not to mention the huge risk of overpromising and underdelivering. Look at Toyota's claim that the Tundra is changing it all, classic overpromise underdeliver. Ford needs to underpromise and overdeliver.

Ohh, I have the perfect rebuttal to what you're proposing...the Segway. Years of hype, gonna turn personal transport on it's head, and bamn, complete failure.

Final point, what about all the workers that produce the Focus? Tell them to chill for 3 years?

You're insane. First, sales were down 31% in Sept because 2007s were cleared out waiting for 2008s to arrive. 2nd, you can't expect to pull a car from the market with the promise of the best car ever 3 years down the line. You'd kill any equity in that model name, not to mention the huge risk of overpromising and underdelivering. Look at Toyota's claim that the Tundra is changing it all, classic overpromise underdeliver. Ford needs to underpromise and overdeliver.

Ohh, I have the perfect rebuttal to what you're proposing...the Segway. Years of hype, gonna turn personal transport on it's head, and bamn, complete failure.

Final point, what about all the workers that produce the Focus? Tell them to chill for 3 years?

Then just continue to produce the same car and not bother with a piss poor re-skin. And FWIW, Focus sales are down 60% YTD.

Then just continue to produce the same car and not bother with a piss poor re-skin. And FWIW, Focus sales are down 60% YTD.

Yeah, let the same car rot for 3-4 more years. Super idea! That'll REALLY keep people interested in the Focus before the new one comes out. :finger:

And umm...Focus sales are only down 5.5% YTD from 2006 through September:

Focus 9,885 14,160 -30.2 133,043 140,830 -5.5

The decline would have likely been even less if dealer inventories weren't near zero through August and September. If the '08's get to dealer lots quickly enough, the Focus may even end up seeing a year-over-year GAIN.

Edited by NickF1011

Yeah, let the same car rot for 3-4 more years. Super idea! That'll REALLY keep people interested in the Focus before the new one comes out. :finger:

And umm...Focus sales are only down 5.5% YTD from 2006 through September:

Focus 9,885 14,160 -30.2 133,043 140,830 -5.5

The decline would have likely been even less if dealer inventories weren't near zero through August and September. If the '08's get to dealer lots quickly enough, the Focus may even end up seeing a year-over-year GAIN.

My brother (15) saw the lion man commercial last night. He said "wow, thats a nice car, what is it?" I think, that maybe, the car may hit its mark after all. Not that they were aiming at 15 year olds, but the age just above (ie me) may like it as well. I like it a little, not crazy over it, but don't hate it. The more I see it, the more I like it.

You'd kill any equity in that model name,

Well IMO Ford is taking a high risk of doing this with this 2008 redesign as well. Name wise meaning.

But who knows maybe this vehicle will be a shocker like the 1970 Maverick which sold almost 600,000 units in its 1st year.

http://fdrc.iit.edu/.bap/maverick/mav_mr.gif

The Ford Maverick was introduced to the world on April 17, 1969, five years to the day of the introduction of the Ford Mustang and the only new car to achieve similar sales success. Maverick's 1970 model year production totaled 579,000 units, 5,000 more than the '65 Mustang in an equal period of time.

Well IMO Ford is taking a high risk of doing this with this 2008 redesign as well. Name wise meaning.

But who knows maybe this vehicle will be a shocker like the 1970 Maverick which sold almost 600,000 units in its 1st year.

http://fdrc.iit.edu/.bap/maverick/mav_mr.gif

The Ford Maverick was introduced to the world on April 17, 1969, five years to the day of the introduction of the Ford Mustang and the only new car to achieve similar sales success. Maverick's 1970 model year production totaled 579,000 units, 5,000 more than the '65 Mustang in an equal period of time.

High risk vs a sure thing.

But who knows, maybe it'll sell 250k, lol. I seriously doubt it though.

High risk vs a sure thing.

But who knows, maybe it'll sell 250k, lol. I seriously doubt it though.

The refresh was anything BUT "high risk". It's not like they changed the car from the ground up. They were changing the sheet metal anyway -- may as well make it look different while they are at it. They were changing the interior anyway -- may as well make it look different also. I'm sure this refresh wasn't as pricy as some may want to think or they wouldn't have done it.

In the end, this refresh will probably accomplish enough to maintain the Focus's current sales levels or even increase them a bit. That's likely all it was intended to do. If they can take a tiny little bite out of the market with this refresh, a lot more people will likely warm up to C2 when it arrives. If the current POS Focus lingered around for another 3-4 years, by then nobody would even think about the Focus twice, even if a really nice C2 Focus was available.

The refresh was anything BUT "high risk". It's not like they changed the car from the ground up. They were changing the sheet metal anyway -- may as well make it look different while they are at it. They were changing the interior anyway -- may as well make it look different also. I'm sure this refresh wasn't as pricy as some may want to think or they wouldn't have done it.

In the end, this refresh will probably accomplish enough to maintain the Focus's current sales levels or even increase them a bit. That's likely all it was intended to do. If they can take a tiny little bite out of the market with this refresh, a lot more people will likely warm up to C2 when it arrives. If the current POS Focus lingered around for another 3-4 years, by then nobody would even think about the Focus twice, even if a really nice C2 Focus was available.

I was responding to the post above mine. He said they are taking a "high risk" of killing brand/model equity. I said killing the model is a sure thing to kill brand/model equity. At least quote the right person if you're going to disagree with them. I didn't have an opinion on whether it was "high risk" outside of saying the other way was a sure thing.

Personally, I think this is typical no risk Ford. It's so bland, calls to mind the 2005 Focus refresh, the 2008 Taurus refresh, the 2005 Five Hundred, the 2002 Explorer and the subsequent 2006 refresh, the next Mustang will have a slightly new front end OHH JOY!, the 2007 Navigator redesign was also underwhelming. Turns out, you can afford to be boring when people buy your cars regardless (Toyota/Honda), but when you're completely irrelevant in the market place, you can't be a wallflower.

I was responding to the post above mine. He said they are taking a "high risk" of killing brand/model equity. I said killing the model is a sure thing to kill brand/model equity. At least quote the right person if you're going to disagree with them. I didn't have an opinion on whether it was "high risk" outside of saying the other way was a sure thing.

Personally, I think this is typical no risk Ford. It's so bland, calls to mind the 2005 Focus refresh, the 2008 Taurus refresh, the 2005 Five Hundred, the 2002 Explorer and the subsequent 2006 refresh, the next Mustang will have a slightly new front end OHH JOY!, the 2007 Navigator redesign was also underwhelming. Turns out, you can afford to be boring when people buy your cars regardless (Toyota/Honda), but when you're completely irrelevant in the market place, you can't be a wallflower.

"High risk vs a sure thing.

But who knows, maybe it'll sell 250k, lol. I seriously doubt it though."

Hardly earth-shatteringly clear. I thought you were talking about something else. My apologies.

And for the fifty-thousandth time, all reports indicate the next Mustang will have all-new sheet metal, not just a "slightly new front end".

"High risk vs a sure thing.

But who knows, maybe it'll sell 250k, lol. I seriously doubt it though."

Hardly earth-shatteringly clear. I thought you were talking about something else. My apologies.

And for the fifty-thousandth time, all reports indicate the next Mustang will have all-new sheet metal, not just a "slightly new front end".

Then explain the mules that only have cladding on the front? Testing airflow?

1ftpw14596ka89461.pdf

Again...weak.

Ford can only dream of having another line of cars that are as reliable, durable, and efficient as the Panthers.

Sigh...and you won't stop complaining until you believe (probably never) they do. The truth is that they do have reliable efficient cars that are durable as well.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Sigh...and you won't stop complaining until you believe (probably never) they do. The truth is that they do have reliable efficient cars that are durable as well.

Really??? I would like to see one of Ford's current models--other than a Panther--do 100K as a full police vehicle, and then go on to do another 150-200K as a Taxi with only routine maintenance.

FACT is that they don't have one.