New Ford Fiesta - Finally More Information (autosavant.net)

igor

http://www.autosavant.net/2007/10/new-ford...nally-more.html

New Ford Fiesta – Finally, More Information

Virtually all there is to know currently about the upcoming Ford Fiesta

By Igor Holas | 10.23.2007 | www.autosavant.net

2009%20Ford%20Fiesta%20rendering.jpg

As the eighth-generation Fiesta is nearing production, we are finding out more about the various aspects of this revolutionary new project. Currently, there are three virtually unique versions of the Fiesta offered around the globe: German-developed European and Global Fiesta, Australian-developed Asian / Indian Fiesta, and Brazilian-developed South-American Fiesta. There is also the European Fusion, South-American EcoSport, two pickup-trucks (South-American Courier, and South-African Bantam), and even the Ikon, a Mexico-produced sedan based on an older-generation Fiesta.

With the eighth generation, Ford is putting an end to this chaos, and is developing a simplified, global lineup of cars on the platform, all designed, and developed primarily in Germany. Ford will still recognize three core markets (Europe and Europe-sourced markets; East and South-East Asia; and the Americas), and make some localized changes to the products and product availability, but the lineup will be simplified and globalized.

MUCH MORE INFORMATION AT LINK

Interesting.

However, more pressing Igor, is your sourcing for all of this autosavant stuff. Your posts are interesting but what kind of sources are you tapping? It seems like most of the info presented is supposition, implied truth, and/or made up.

I'd love to believe all of the Ford stuff is true...but I have a hard time believing it all.

Can you assuage my concerns?

Scott

80% employee and supplier information

20% extrapolation - always set of by "likely" "probably" etc ..

this is true ... trust me. Just to point out - I have a lot MORE information about the new Fiesta - the EcoSport might be renamed Bronco and take on the concept look. But this is just a Rumor even for me - so I will not include that in an article ... the stuff in there is correct ... it might change in a future date, but I am 80% confident it will not change and will come to pass. My previous articles on F150 and Fusion, the confidence factor is 90+% because the reveal is much closer than the Fiesta vehicles. You have to realize that the Fiesta will go into production 18 months from now and the EcoSport and B-max even further - that is quite far off and some of the plans are still fluid even for Ford .. the Fusion and F150 are much easier - they are set - it is all just a matter of asking the right questions the right people and putting it together.

Igor

Edited by igor

Interesting.

However, more pressing Igor, is your sourcing for all of this autosavant stuff. Your posts are interesting but what kind of sources are you tapping? It seems like most of the info presented is supposition, implied truth, and/or made up.

I'd love to believe all of the Ford stuff is true...but I have a hard time believing it all.

Can you assuage my concerns?

Scott

Does it really matter where Igor gets his stuff from? His track record proves that a large majority of the time, he's right. It doesn't really matter what his sources are, IMO.

80% employee and supplier information

20% extrapolation - always set of by "likely" "probably" etc ..

this is true ... trust me. Just to point out - I have a lot MORE information about the new Fiesta - the EcoSport might be renamed Bronco and take on the concept look. But this is just a Rumor even for me - so I will not include that in an article ... the stuff in there is correct ... it might change in a future date, but I am 80% confident it will not change and will come to pass.

Igor

That'd be interesting....I'm not sure Bronco fans would see it as a true "Bronco" though, b/c of it's size, etc....but I could be wrong.

Sounds great. I look forward to seeing it.

So do I, this Fiesta/Verve will blow the doors off the Japanese b-cars, which are absolutely hideous.

sorta off topic, but sorta related....

What size 'classification' is the BMW 1-series considered? Is it considered a 'b-car', or is it larger? Obviously it's considered a premium vehicle whatever it is, along w/ Mini's Cooper, but IMO, the Verve/Fiesta could, to an extent compete w/ these cars.

I'm most interested in the truck and the ST. The ST would certainly be a fun car, and lend a TON of credibility to the Fiesta line as a truly premium B-car, where the truck could end up selling in pretty good volumes if marketed right.

That small Fiesta based truck is an interesting idea. Nothing like that is offered here in the US. It could have a potential market. I say bring it, see how it does (if it does exist). I think this type vehicle along w/ Transit/Connect will bring new REPEAT buyers into the Ford brand in markets which dont really currently exist.

So do I, this Fiesta/Verve will blow the doors off the Japanese b-cars, which are absolutely hideous.

sorta off topic, but sorta related....

What size 'classification' is the BMW 1-series considered? Is it considered a 'b-car', or is it larger? Obviously it's considered a premium vehicle whatever it is, along w/ Mini's Cooper, but IMO, the Verve/Fiesta could, to an extent compete w/ these cars.

The BMW 1-series is C class, same as Volvo C30 etc.

Igor, I hope your info proves to be true. Thanks for all your work in bringing us inside information. These plans are wonderful! Any idea on a timeline for the "B-Max"? Would it be similar in size and layout to the Mazda 5?

B-Max is currently sold a "Fusion" in europe and looks like this:

ford-fusion.jpg

The Fusion is about the size of Honda Fit - i.e. a little taller than your usual B-car. The new one will be even more like the Fit with more of a Minivan look. It will only seat 5.

The Mazda5 is a cousin to another car from Europe the Ford C-Max - both are based on the Focus/Mazda3 platform. We are to get the C-Max as well, but that is a separate story. (we will get the next generation of the C-Max due out in a year - below is a pic of the current one. The current one seats only 5; the next one might be a 7 seater)

c_max__small.jpg

Semi relatedly, the EcoSport was designed as "Fusion on steroids" for Brazil with stiffened up chassis and AWD optional, but recently got a face lift that moves it further away from its European Cousin:

17383.jpg

That car will either just evolve into second generation, or adopt the Bronco concept looks and the Bronco name. The EcoSport is extremely successful in Brazil and South America, and with its SUV looks and AWD, Ford is confident it will do very well in US as well. This was the car that we were supposed to get last year, but the current car has a very cheap no-frills interior, and Mark Fields did not like it, and felt it would tarnish Ford;'s image among the young B-segment customers .. so he chose to rather be absent from the segment until Ford can do it right - so we are waiting on the new generation of everything to come out with better design and quality and better interior.

Time line on the derivatives is not very firm yet, but I would expect them to be shown between late 2008 and late 2009 as pre-production concepts.

Igor

I am soooo glad that the 2nd gen C-Max is comming to the USA (Focus X anyone?). I am also glad it may be a 6 seater, since the 2010 Explorer will probobly be the cheapest 3 seater in Ford's lineup without it!!!

As for the B-Max, this might mean that we won't get the 5 door fiesta, instead just getting the sedan and its B-Max big brother as the hatch.

I do not think the Ecosport should come here. With the B-Max, Focus C-Max and Escape in the small cuv segment, the ecosport just isnt needed.

As for the reflex.....Ford definaly needs it, especially as (I suspect) the C2 Focus will come over in sedan and 3dr hatch guises. The Reflex would give Ford a cool, inexpensive sporty coupe for those who want it or can't afford a mustang, etc.

That'd be interesting....I'm not sure Bronco fans would see it as a true "Bronco" though, b/c of it's size, etc....but I could be wrong.

It depends on what your definition of a "True Bronco" is. I felt the 2004 concept brought back the essence even though the original had a V8 available. Or, if you mean the OJ Simpson get-away 2-dr Expedition as the true Bronco. :)

It depends on what your definition of a "True Bronco" is. I felt the 2004 concept brought back the essence even though the original had a V8 available. Or, if you mean the OJ Simpson get-away 2-dr Expedition as the true Bronco. :)

What the original Bronco was really doesn't matter anymore. Most of the market for the original Bronco has grown up and likely wouldn't consider a vehicle of that type today anyway. The youth end of the market though might find a smaller cute-ute Bronco to be pretty appealing.

I am soooo glad that the 2nd gen C-Max is comming to the USA (Focus X anyone?). I am also glad it may be a 6 seater, since the 2010 Explorer will probobly be the cheapest 3 seater in Ford's lineup without it!!!

As for the B-Max, this might mean that we won't get the 5 door fiesta, instead just getting the sedan and its B-Max big brother as the hatch.

I do not think the Ecosport should come here. With the B-Max, Focus C-Max and Escape in the small cuv segment, the ecosport just isnt needed.

As for the reflex.....Ford definaly needs it, especially as (I suspect) the C2 Focus will come over in sedan and 3dr hatch guises. The Reflex would give Ford a cool, inexpensive sporty coupe for those who want it or can't afford a mustang, etc.

we will get the verve 5 door hatchback.

The focus will probably have the Sedan and coupe with the 5 door possible and small chance fo the 3 door. it really depends how agressive ford is, I don't think the wagon has a chance. focus buyer have let ford know how disappointed they are with the absence of he hatches less so about the wagon.

but anything can happen.

igor have they figured out where to build the next Focus yet?

we will get the verve 5 door hatchback.

The focus will probably have the Sedan and coupe with the 5 door possible and small chance fo the 3 door. it really depends how agressive ford is, I don't think the wagon has a chance. focus buyer have let ford know how disappointed they are with the absence of he hatches less so about the wagon.

but anything can happen.

igor have they figured out where to build the next Focus yet?

nothing certain, but it will either be built in Kansas City alongside the next Escape etc, or all three of the C- models will go to Mexico, just like GM; I am pretty sure they will not need more than one big plant - at least not right away. Wayne is unlikely to survive - the layout issues, lack of local UAW cooperation, and persistent quality problems probably killed that plant.

As much as it saddens me, you are probably right on the Wagon - I simply LOVE wagons, and will buy the smallest 4x5star Safety top pick wagon Ford offers in about 5 years .. I would love for it to be a Focus of Mondeo/Fusion, but will probably have to go tall into the Kuga/Escape or C-Max - not 100% my cups of tea.

igor

Edited by igor

Does it really matter where Igor gets his stuff from? His track record proves that a large majority of the time, he's right. It doesn't really matter what his sources are, IMO.

I agree Igor doing a great job of bringing the latest blue oval news here , don't knock him. I hope they keep the Verve as close the concept as possible, and l agree maybe the gapping grill needs to be made a bit smaller when it goes into production, and l can see it knocking the 207 off the top spot in Europe.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds