What do vehicles cost???

Today, the Canadian dollar costs about $1.03 USD. But a F150 is about $8000 more in Canada. A car in detroit costs the same as a car in San Fransisco, but a car in Toronto is on average 20% more in Toronto??? It used to be because the CAN dollar cost about $.63 USD, but now the we have parity, the reason is no longer as clear... are there any answers??? :finger:

Today, the Canadian dollar costs about $1.03 USD. But a F150 is about $8000 more in Canada. A car in detroit costs the same as a car in San Fransisco, but a car in Toronto is on average 20% more in Toronto??? It used to be because the CAN dollar cost about $.63 USD, but now the we have parity, the reason is no longer as clear... are there any answers??? :finger:

$$$

that's interesting insight

Prices are beginning to adjust at major retailers (wal-mart, zellers, etc.) but it will take some time. We may not see parity, but we ill see much better prices very soon. The fact is that goods are too cheap in the US, as its dollar is losing value and the value of goods are not following. What should actually happen is 1) their prices go up, 2) ours go down and they meet in the middle

Prices are beginning to adjust at major retailers (wal-mart, zellers, etc.) but it will take some time. We may not see parity, but we ill see much better prices very soon. The fact is that goods are too cheap in the US, as its dollar is losing value and the value of goods are not following. What should actually happen is 1) their prices go up, 2) ours go down and they meet in the middle

The only prices that will adjust are the ones where arbitrage is possible. Otherwise you guys are just SOL.

Your sig says Saskatchewan 4 times. Well played.

I think I will end every few sentences with the word Saskatchewan tonight when talking to my wife and see if she end up saying it at work involuntarily tomorrow... :hysterical:

What office window does Saskwatch work in? Meh...I tried.

Peace and Blessings.

Your sig says Saskatchewan 4 times. Well played.

I think I will end every few sentences with the word Saskatchewan tonight when talking to my wife and see if she end up saying it at work involuntarily tomorrow... :hysterical:

What office window does Saskwatch work in? Meh...I tried.

Peace and Blessings.

lol, well I was trying to use official names. I agree though...I wish I could do it differently.

The only prices that will adjust are the ones where arbitrage is possible. Otherwise you guys are just SOL.

Prices are lowering. They have to, because people will demand it, and if it does not happen they will go elsewhere. Vehicles are a different story, but Porsche has already lowered prices, others will follow.

Sure the answer is you got used to paying that much so they aren't going to cut you any breaks now. It's called greed.

You have a VAT, right?

No We have a GST (goods and service tax) at 6% and soon to be lowered to 5% and most provinces (except Alberta ) have a PST Provincial Sales Tax ranging from I belive 6-8% depending on province.

Food stuffs and esentials are excempt of these taxes.

Eventually prices will come down more than few retailers have already price matched and some Canadian based manufacturers have as well. It is only a matter of time. If Buisnesses here do not price match a good chunk of the population will just buy states side. With online purchases and the proximity to the U.S for most of the nation retailers will have no option.

Matthew

No We have a GST (goods and service tax) at 6% and soon to be lowered to 5% and most provinces (except Alberta ) have a PST Provincial Sales Tax ranging from I belive 6-8% depending on province.

Food stuffs and esentials are excempt of these taxes.

Eventually prices will come down more than few retailers have already price matched and some Canadian based manufacturers have as well. It is only a matter of time. If Buisnesses here do not price match a good chunk of the population will just buy states side. With online purchases and the proximity to the U.S for most of the nation retailers will have no option.

Matthew

According the material that I read, the GST is a Value Added Tax. A rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

According the material that I read, the GST is a Value Added Tax. A rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

It is not a value added tax. As it is levied at all points of sale not just the final point of sale to the it consumer. it is a sales tax to be more precise as it is levied on the total value of the exchange.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

It is not a value added tax. As it is levied at all points of sale not just the final point of sale to the consumer.

Matthew

You just defined a value-added tax. A retail sales taxed is only levied at the consumer level. I hate to cite to Wikipedia, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goods_and_Ser...ax_%28Canada%29

Edited by johnnyb82

You just defined a value-added tax. A retail sales taxed is only levied at the consumer level. I hate to cite to Wikipedia, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goods_and_Ser...ax_%28Canada%29

Ya it is a grey area and can be called both but it is levied differently than the UK's VAT.

All the GST paid prior to the final point of retail sale is refundabe to the manufactuere.

So it is actualy closer to true sales tax.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Ya it is a grey area and can be called both but it is levied differently than the UK's VAT.

All the GST paid prior to the final point of retail sale is refundabe to the manufactuere.

Matthew

The structure of the GST is how a VAT normally is: a tax on all consumption with a credit for past tax paid, which helps to increase compliance and arguably fairness.

The way i understad a VAT is set up diffiffernt.

The GST is the same percentage regardless of how many times the particular item is transacted to the final point of sale. Each leval of manufactiring gets the whole amount of the GST refunded at tax time unitl the consumer actually bears the non refundabble portion at point of final sale.

The GST is not prorated with each leval of sale from raw material to completed goods, Like a VAT is.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Same goes for Australian GST Matthew, refundable throughout the selling chain.

Aussie $ just hit 0.91c US today. We pay AUS$34,000 including GCT on a base model Falcon,

a long way from $23,000 Taurus or Panther , would be good to know the income isn't wasted though.

BTW, Mazda RX8 over here is AUS$65,000 (US$59,000)

Same goes for Australian GST Matthew, refundable throughout the selling chain.

Aussie $ just hit 0.91c US today. We pay AUS$34,000 including GCT on a base model Falcon,

a long way from $23,000 Taurus or Panther , would be good to know the income isn't wasted though.

BTW, Mazda RX8 over here is AUS$65,000 (US$59,000)

Ouch the RX 8 is now only 37k here when we bought the mazda 6 the same car was around 44K

So pricing is coming down here.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Here's a link to Aussie car prices, - LINK

most of brands available in North America, even has some Chryslers.

Chrysler 300C SRT-8 = AUS$ 71,990 or US$ 65,000

Your Highlander = our Kluger because Mitsubishi has Highlander name here.

Tacoma = Hilux, Toyota Aurion = V6 Camry with different nose.

Mitsu 380 = "Galant"

Last Mustang GTs here in 2000 cost AUS$85,000 (US$60,000)

Edited by jpd80

Here's a link to Aussie car prices, - LINK

most of brands available in North America, even has some Chryslers.

Chrysler 300C SRT-8 = AUS$ 71,990 or US$ 65,000

Your Highlander = our Kluger because Mitsubishi has Highlander name here.

Tacoma = Hilux, Toyota Aurion = V6 Camry with different nose.

Mitsu 380 = "Galant"

Last Mustang GTs here in 2000 cost AUS$85,000 (US$60,000)

Thanks for the Aussie link, you now know why we are whinging poms just look at the prices below. I hear Aussies are also whingers when it comes to rugby its in your ancestral blood and genes. How the hell does a Focus sell for $8577 less on the other side of the globe when it is built and designed in Europe?

Ford Focus 5 door hatchback USA $13715 USD

https://www.buyingadvice.com/searchresults....mp;Submit=Go%21

Ford Focus 5 door hatchback Ghia Europe GB $34416 USD

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-equipm...92&ED=46316

Ford Focus 5 door hatchback Ghia Australian $26,939 USD

http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Ford/For...ia-5D-Hatch.cfm

Please correct me if l am wrong but the Focus is shipped right around the globe from Europe and then sold for $8,577 less in Australia, the Focus is also built in the US where it normally $3-4k more expensive per car to build a Focus than it is in Europe but we pay $20,701 more in Europe. Something does not add up here?

Also if you want an Automatic gearbox in the UK you must add another $2000 to the UK price above.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I agree.

Where in Saskachewan do you live? Beautiful Province. I drove thru there a couple years ago (late May) on driving trip from Orlando Fl to Alaska. Went into Saskachewan from N Dakota....thru REGINA, SASKATOON, and then on thru Lloydminster. Then Edmonton, etc and continuing NW to the Alaskan Hiway. The Alaskan hiway started 4500 miles from Orlando, and ran another 1500 miles to Alaska. A trip I will never forget. I think Canada and it's Territories are far more beautiful than Alaska. The Yukon is beyond description. In some places in Alaska, it looks to me like every pick up truck we ever sent to Alaska is sitting in someone's front yard rusting away.

BTW for you Ford Pick up fans....I drove a F 350 (or F 250 can't remember) crew cab Power Stroke diesel pulling 12,000 lb 5th wheel trailer with 2 slide outs. Never missed a beat on that 16,000 mile round trip. It belonged to a man in hid mid 80's who wanted to go to Alaska and needed help making the trip. He paid the "considerable" expenses for the trip. Lots of diesel fuel. I was retired and had the time.

Edited by Ralph Greene