Chrysler limiting Challenger output to 5,000 units in 2008

P71_CrownVic

Can you say "not ready for a full launch"?? In my mind, this is just a ploy by Chrysler to create demand on a car that is not ready to launch a full model line. So for all of you people who think the Mustang is doomed because of the launch of the Challenger in 2008, forget it. The GT500 will sell more units than the Challenger in 2008 and probably for less money per unit. If Chrysler was smart, they would release this car when it's ready to compete accross the board, from V6 to Hemi to SRT. As for the Camaro, possibly due to hit the dealerships in late 2008, I think, the Mustang will be in it's refreshed form with new engine choices.

All SRT-8s and all automatics. With only 5,000 units I'm guessing $75-$85,000 after "Added Dealer Markup". Sounds like a great way to alienate the market. If they are only planning 30-35,000 in '09, the Challenger won't really challenge either Mustang or Camaro. Still it is a great looking car.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

I'm not hating on the looks of the Challenger, just the way Chrysler is releasing this car. So I guess they aren't really concerned with selling cars? Why not go for broke and sell the whole damn model line, from V6 with a 5 speed to SRT with an auto. To me, Chrysler is turning the Challenger into a halo car for 2008 and they already have one of those. It's almost like they aren't REALLY ready to go full production on this thing and they are making sure that they don't screw anything up. Hurry, hurry, step right up folks, pay $40k more than MSRP for your new 2008 Challenger!!

This situation sounds similar to the 02 Thunderbird.

I think some of this might be due to a variety of factors. When they pull the plug on the Magnum, they will be in better shape to build the Challenger in more numbers. Of course, Chrysler may be weak kneed going into this coupe venture, wanting to make sure that its going to be profitable. The dealers may sock it to customers, but I doubt the MSRP will be ridiculously high.

So for all of you people who think the Mustang is doomed because of the launch of the Challenger in 2008, forget it.

Oh gosh was someone actually saying that. lol Heck no it's been known for a long time now that the first year of the Challenger would be the high end model only. No way that's going to outsell the Stang with no V6 option and what not. I think in the second year as they bring the V6 on line it will give the Mustang a run for it's money but only time will tell. Factor in that Camaro comes out around that time too.

Dodge will go heavily after Mustang GT in sales where they have a nostalgic/modern look, plenty of image and solid performance potential to back it up. In all likelihood, a V6 Challenger will not do that well against a V6 Mustang.

I imagine that Ford will be in a hot bed of competition from the Camaro and Challenger with bigger engines, uniqueness and a competitive price. Its going to be hard to touch Mustang's V6 sales and on the other end of the spectrum, deal with the Shelby GT-500 models. I firmly believe that the Mustang GT is the moving target and we shall see whether Chevy or Dodge does a better job at hitting it.

The dealer mark-ups won't be good for the Challenger initially, but I am willing to bet that the car's super good looks will counter that once they start hitting the streets in a variety of colors. Greater supply and disappearing mark-ups for the following year will greet many of those wanting the Challenger. I don't think this car will be like the Pontiac GTO, because its looks weren't hitting on that much to begin with.

Lots of tongues will wag when the Challengers start hitting the streets. If its got credible potential, Mustang will begin to feel some effects sales-wise, simply because lots of folks will want to just have something different. I'm a Mustang guy and I'd be willing to consider something different if I were shopping for a two-door again.

Lots of tongues will wag when the Challengers start hitting the streets. If its got credible potential, Mustang will begin to feel some effects sales-wise, simply because lots of folks will want to just have something different. I'm a Mustang guy and I'd be willing to consider something different if I were shopping for a two-door again.

The only Mustang possibly affected by the first year Challengers is the GT500. And since they have come and gone, I doubt there will be dealer mark-up on those. The Challenger will have a huge markup on them.

If they are going to build only 5k cars, then most of them are going to be sought after as future collectables. :hysterical: The only time you will see one is on the way home to the garage and that is where it will hibernate till they wake up to the fact that these things will never be collectable. In another 50 years, there won't be gas stations on every corner. Just ask any greenie! :hysterical:

post-11790-1129842414_thumb.jpg

Two of the most famous automotive rationalizations at play. 1. Its the first/last one so its going to be an instant collectible. Sure just ask the people who paid $$$ over sticker for any of the following:

1984 Pontiac Fiero

1989 Mazda Miata

Z06 Corvette

Bullitt Mustang

PT Cruizer

'04 GTO

Ford GT

'06 GT 500 Mustang

1976 Cadillac Eldorodo convertible.

Granted, if you hold on to some cars long enough this has the possibility of working as with '65-69 Shelby Mustangs, and Original Cobra, Chrysler Hemi Muscle cars, Yenko Chevys, etc. It is still a long shot with anything built after the collector car hobby became established.

2. I just have to be the first on the block to have one so I will pay whatever I have to to get one.

The interesting thing about the Challenger is that its not retro styled as with the current Mustang, it is almost a carbon copy of the '70 model.

With what Chrysler has been up to after signing the UAW contract, lets hope these Challengers are built by happy employees..This being said is Chrysler like the other US car makers today? Don't think so, they'd sell their souls for a buck 98...They need to sell cars, and now..5,000 of one product at scalper prices..???

Initially it will probably give the GT500 a run for it's money. Mustang is getting a little long in the tooth and those people who have to be the first on the block to have a Challenger will pay the price over a somewhat dated Mustang.

After that tho, don't see it or the Camaro eating too much into Mustang sales - the V6 has always been Mustangs bread and butter and I don't see that changing - especially after the '09 refresh.

Altho the Billy Bobs of the world who still have their '78 Camaro up on blocks in the front of their trailers I am sure are just salivating at the new Camaro :rockon:

Chevy was selling a fair number of V6 in the early-mid 90s, but that started to taper off as the decade came to a close. Part of that in all likelihood was the subpar build quality of many of the F-bodies. This car, if it delivers good quality and competitive power and price, I'd say the Camaro V6 stands a good chance of going after Mustang. Plus the Camaro body then had a lot of drivability compromises. The top of the windshield was almost right in front of the driver's face. The bottom extended way far out over the firewall and had a large surface area for the dash. The hump in the floor the clear the convertor and the entry/exit into the vehicle was more difficult than the Mustang.

If both cars are more daily driver-friendly, Ford doesn't have a guarantee on the V6 sales or the GT sales, especially against a Camaro RS or Z28 type set-up.

Chevy was selling a fair number of V6 in the early-mid 90s, but that started to taper off as the decade came to a close. Part of that in all likelihood was the subpar build quality of many of the F-bodies. This car, if it delivers good quality and competitive power and price, I'd say the Camaro V6 stands a good chance of going after Mustang. Plus the Camaro body then had a lot of drivability compromises. The top of the windshield was almost right in front of the driver's face. The bottom extended way far out over the firewall and had a large surface area for the dash. The hump in the floor the clear the convertor and the entry/exit into the vehicle was more difficult than the Mustang.

If both cars are more daily driver-friendly, Ford doesn't have a guarantee on the V6 sales or the GT sales, especially against a Camaro RS or Z28 type set-up.

I have not seen the new Camaro or Challenger so I can't comment on it's future. It might be the end all and finally be able to best Mustang in the Pony Car market but I doubt it. The Challanegers gave up a long tie ago so I don't see them as being a big threat (although they do look hot in the enderings I have seen.)

In this one instance, Mustang has the legacy advantage.

Camaro's problem at the end of it's run is that even though it was faster than the Mustang, it became somewhat of a joke as a poor-man's Corvette ending up jacked up on blocks on someones front yard.

Mustang is the one thing that Ford did right. It is going to take a lot for GM or Chrysler to overcome that and I don't think, based on what I have seen, that neither one can do that. :shades:

Years from now the first production run of the Challenger will be worth quite a bit of money just because of the limited production. Look at the HEMI Cuda. Not saying that if was not extremely powerful but at the time it was built it wasn't the big boy on the block. The reason that they are getting $1,000,000 at the Barrett-Jackson Auction is because they didn't build that many. Simply wealthy individuals will pay more for something that few are privileged enough to own! Out of the three Retro-futuristic muscle cars the Challenger is truer to it's origin! Look at it compared to it's predecessor!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Its a freaking carbon copy of the old car!

I'm gonna bet money that the "new" Challenger is the first "old-new" pony car to wind up back in the glue factory

Yep the Challenger on the outside is identical, it's a 70' body with 21st century tech, lighting, interior, suspension, and a fuel injected powerplant. New Challenger (Retro), New Camaro (Too futuristic), New Mustang (Riding the fence) Too bad Crystler cant build a tranny to save their life, but the lifetime limited warranty will make skeptics buy one!