Bring the Cougar back!

Ok well lets get this petition going, my family had always had a cougar in thier house starting with a 1977 MC and I guess it always stuck with me as my first new car was a 99 cougar and then the last cougar I owned was a 2002 35th anniversary edition. I loved my 02 cougar I regret to this day trading it in. I have a 2006 Milan now which is ok but Its not a Cougar. I know the new edge cougars are not a fan favorite but I thought it really gave mercury and edge they needed to bad they couldnt keep it going.

Im just concerned that Ford is intruducing new products left and right and none are going to Mercury, I dont want them to kill of the brand and then I will never have a Cougar again. I cant imagine that nameplace being discarded.

It doesn't really bother me if they kill the Mercury brand, it's been gone for a few years up here. Bring the cougar back as a Ford, I don't care, just bring it back! I still want a luxury two door. I never liked four doors, never will. I'd even buy a two door Taurus, if you look there is a thread I started a while back on that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't really bother me if they kill the Mercury brand, it's been gone for a few years up here. Bring the cougar back as a Ford, I don't care, just bring it back! I still want a luxury two door. I never liked four doors, never will. I'd even buy a two door Taurus, if you look there is a thread I started a while back on that.

3 coups?

Ford mustang

Ford Focus coupe

Ford Fusion coupe

Sorry, but the cougar would not fit in as a Ford, It has to go to Mercury.

3 coups?

Ford mustang

Ford Focus coupe

Ford Fusion coupe

Sorry, but the cougar would not fit in as a Ford, It has to go to Mercury.

I agree this isnt Europe, Mercury is a nameplate maybe unpopular but its one that people know, I dont want to see a Ford Cougar. This is America Mercury lives here and lets face it when you think Mercury you dont think of Sable, Lynx, Capri, Milan etc... You think Cougar.

I agree this isnt Europe, Mercury is a nameplate maybe unpopular but its one that people know, I dont want to see a Ford Cougar. This is America Mercury lives here and lets face it when you think Mercury you dont think of Sable, Lynx, Capri, Milan etc... You think Cougar.

That's fine, whatever! I would just like to have a Cougar and I don't want to go to Lincoln and pay a big premium just for a name.

That's fine, whatever! I would just like to have a Cougar and I don't want to go to Lincoln and pay a big premium just for a name.

Im in agreement.

So where do we all go from here? I am constanly sending e-mails to Mercury Customer Service on thier website about bringing the cougar back.

Anyone have any good suggestions to start a petition, at the very least I would like someone at ford to address the status of a cougar.

Im in agreement.

So where do we all go from here? I am constanly sending e-mails to Mercury Customer Service on thier website about bringing the cougar back.

Anyone have any good suggestions to start a petition, at the very least I would like someone at ford to address the status of a cougar.

What about an updated Mercury Messenger based on the Mustang platform with IRS. I know this has been talked about I believe, on BON before, but I really loved that car when they showed it back in 2003. Just call it the Cougar and be done with it. Stick the 3.5 EcoBoost in it and tune it up to 380 hp/380 lb-ft adn I think it will d well. If Dodge and Chevy think they can sell the Challenger and Camaro respectively, why would anyone think there aren't a few customers out there who like Ford products but are tired of the Mustang variations (I'm not actually) not buy a car like this. Just a thought.

What about an updated Mercury Messenger based on the Mustang platform with IRS. I know this has been talked about I believe, on BON before, but I really loved that car when they showed it back in 2003. Just call it the Cougar and be done with it. Stick the 3.5 EcoBoost in it and tune it up to 380 hp/380 lb-ft adn I think it will d well. If Dodge and Chevy think they can sell the Challenger and Camaro respectively, why would anyone think there aren't a few customers out there who like Ford products but are tired of the Mustang variations (I'm not actually) not buy a car like this. Just a thought.

I always hoped the messenger would have turned into a cougar

Ok well lets get this petition going, my family had always had a cougar in thier house starting with a 1977 MC and I guess it always stuck with me as my first new car was a 99 cougar and then the last cougar I owned was a 2002 35th anniversary edition. I loved my 02 cougar I regret to this day trading it in. I have a 2006 Milan now which is ok but Its not a Cougar. I know the new edge cougars are not a fan favorite but I thought it really gave mercury and edge they needed to bad they couldnt keep it going.

Im just concerned that Ford is intruducing new products left and right and none are going to Mercury, I dont want them to kill of the brand and then I will never have a Cougar again. I cant imagine that nameplace being discarded.

That was another mistake the Australian camel Nasser did. Killing off the new Cougar and eliminating the platform from which the Thunderbird/Cougar was made until 1997.

I dont know who that is, but if the demise of the cougar is his doing I hope he burns in hell . LOL.

Wow, that's very, well....extreme, don't you think?

Jac Nasser began at Ford in 1968 and then was Ford's CEO from 1999 to 2001 and was responsible for Ford's purchase of Volvo, Land Rover, and Mazda (33%, at least). He also tried to merge/aquire Honda and BMW (which would be huge today).

Edited by rmc523

Wow, that's very, well....extreme, don't you think?

Jac Nasser began at Ford in 1968 and then was Ford's CEO from 1999 to 2001 and was responsible for Ford's purchase of Volvo, Land Rover, and Mazda (33%, at least). He also tried to merge/aquire Honda and BMW (which would be huge today).

i guess the best thing he did was mazda.

well yeah but jaguar is soon to be gone from ford.

Thank God! We'll finally be rid of that problematic brand. Maybe when Tata takes over, they can start an Indian Jaguar. Take that new car and give it a wooden dash, spoked wheel covers and a hood ornament. If any of you Photoshop Gurus are up to it, have fun!

Thank God! We'll finally be rid of that problematic brand. Maybe when Tata takes over, they can start an Indian Jaguar. Take that new car and give it a wooden dash, spoked wheel covers and a hood ornament. If any of you Photoshop Gurus are up to it, have fun!

ok so now back to the Cougar, what are we going to do about this? their is strengh in numbers, if anything I would love to hear an offcial word from ford on the cougar, they gave a statement for the thunderbird I just want the same some sort of hope.

ok so now back to the Cougar, what are we going to do about this? their is strengh in numbers, if anything I would love to hear an offcial word from ford on the cougar, they gave a statement for the thunderbird I just want the same some sort of hope.

i guess the best thing he did was mazda.

Ford already had a chunk of Mazda before Nasser was running the company. All he did was increase the percentage. Wikipedia says 15%.

It was Ford's partial ownership of Mazda that caused the Probe to happen (1989-1997). It was a platform-twin of the Mazda MX-6. The original MX-6 was a sedan-like coupe. The 1993 version was much closer to the (also new) Probe's aero shape.

A triple post, interesting. I guess I've had a quadruple post before though.

Anyways, what Thunderbird announcement are you referring to?

Ford already had a chunk of Mazda before Nasser was running the company. All he did was increase the percentage. Wikipedia says 15%.

It was Ford's partial ownership of Mazda that caused the Probe to happen (1989-1997). It was a platform-twin of the Mazda MX-6. The original MX-6 was a sedan-like coupe. The 1993 version was much closer to the (also new) Probe's aero shape.

I didn't realize that.

A triple post, interesting. I guess I've had a quadruple post before though.

I noticed that, he is repeating himself, he is repeating himself, he ia repeating himself...

Anyways, what Thunderbird announcement are you referring to?

I haven't heard anything either. Before they do something with the T-Bird, it's the Cougar's turn first.

I haven't heard anything either. Before they do something with the T-Bird, it's the Cougar's turn first.

Here is the quote, its from 2005 I think or 2004 when the last T-bird was getting shut down

Ford Division president, Steve Lyons stating: "We promised all along that this Thunderbird would have a limited production run, and we're being true to our word. Thunderbird was a terrific image builder for the Ford brand showroom at a time when we needed it. Now, we're in the midst of a major product onslaught, including more news on the Mustang at this month's New York Auto Show. At Ford, we're fortunate to have several dream cars, including the new Ford GT and Ford Mustang. For now, the Thunderbird nameplate will be placed on our shelf. But we'll keep it polished for future use

What could/would be Ford fastest answer to Cadillac's well received CTS Coupe (CTC?)? How could Ford get Lincoln something to compete, head to head, with that Cadillac, with an extreme short development cycle? One answer would be a Lincoln version based off the Mustang. Yea, stretch it a few inches (to make a usable rear seat), give it some new skin (to make it look like a Lincoln), but not much else would be required.

What could/would be Ford fastest answer to Cadillac's well received CTS Coupe (CTC?)? How could Ford get Lincoln something to compete, head to head, with that Cadillac, with an extreme short development cycle? One answer would be a Lincoln version based off the Mustang. Yea, stretch it a few inches (to make a usable rear seat), give it some new skin (to make it look like a Lincoln), but not much else would be required.

Im sure a lincoln coupe would work but I rather see Mercury get it, Lincoln is getting everything now anyway.