Bring the Cougar back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Could do well with enough sporting intention. I really didn't dislike the last Cougar. It was more engineering shortcomings that failed that vehicle as opposed to anything to do with it being FWD.

A Cougar based on the Milan could work alright. The luxury model would come in FWD or AWD with a 2.5 L I4, Hybrid, or a 3.0L V6. The XR-7 would come with AWD and the 3.5L V6.

• 2 months later...

The cougar died after the 1970 model year for me(still not crazy about the snaggle tooth hood though).... But I'm biased cause mines a 69 :rockon:

A new one has to have full seq. tail lights, slightly longer wheel base than mustang for more rear seat room, v-8, 6spd (but could live with 5), rwd, hideaway headlights, and last but not least be absolutely freakin sexy looking.

Eliminator package a must...

• 4 months later...
...A new one has to have full seq. tail lights, slightly longer wheel base than mustang for more rear seat room, v-8, 6spd (but could live with 5), rwd, hideaway headlights, and last but not least be absolutely freakin sexy looking.

Eliminator package a must...

OK,OK. I could do that, too. Either way, I want a big and gutsy Mercury coupe.

• 2 months later...

I think the next generation Mercury Cougar should not be Ford Mustang based (people who want that should buy a Mustang) but a car that interest people who want a sporty car with modern technology like four wheel independent suspension. Something that can compete with imports like the Audi A5, BMW 335, Infiniti G37, and Mercedes CLK with a kick ass price.

General specs that I would like to see for a next generation Mercury Cougar are:

• 2 door coupe

• 3.5L V6 w/260 HP base and 3.5L EcoBoost V6 w/365 horsepower option

• Six-speed SelectShift Automatic™ transmission with paddle activation

• Four wheel independent suspension with AWD (all models – don’t offer front wheel drive)

• ~108 -110” wheel base

• ~182 overall length

• ~54” high

• 17” and optional 18” wheels

As far as styling is concerned it should look like the some of the new designs that Ford is working on. I like the one I have attached as an example.

post-16482-1259169407_thumb.jpg

Nahh.. It needs to be a Mustang with a more plush ride. Send a Cougar out there with the same choices of engines as the Mustang, plush interior, HIDs, new body panels, ect. Make it unique, while still giving it some get-up-and-go, similar to the Mark VIII. Put it in the same class as the CTS couple.

Here is a concept pic that hasn't been posted in this thread. I love the hide-away headlight idea.

2011_Mercury_Cougar_Concept_by_TCP_Design.jpg

Nahh.. It needs to be a Mustang with a more plush ride. Send a Cougar out there with the same choices of engines as the Mustang, plush interior, HIDs, new body panels, ect. Make it unique, while still giving it some get-up-and-go, similar to the Mark VIII. Put it in the same class as the CTS couple.

Here is a concept pic that hasn't been posted in this thread. I love the hide-away headlight idea.

2011_Mercury_Cougar_Concept_by_TCP_Design.jpg

I cant see your pic.

Anyway, A mustang based Cougar is great but i think they are better off with a Milan Coupe version called Cougar which wouldnt really compete against the mustang.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, let's settle this once and for all.

A Milan-based coupe will be the Cougar/XR-7

A Mustang-based two-seater convertible will be the Capri

A Taurus-based EB coupe will be the Marauder

A Taurus X-based crossover will be the Mountaineer

Done. Let's move on.

Done. Let's move on.

I'm curious, why do you feel Mountaineer should be based on Taurus X instead of next generation of Explorer?

I'm not knowledgeable about Ford platforms, but I think the Taurus X and next gen Explorer are both based on the

D3 platform. If Ford did continue the the Mountaineer, I think it would be cool if they based it on the D4 platform, on

which the Flex/MKT are based on.

What ever Ford decides to do, I would hope the Mountaineer would be a part of its future.

Thanks,

dusMerc

Done. Let's move on.

sure, but no Taurus X crossover, i think the time has come and go for the MEta one concept. perhaps there is no more room now for a Mountaineer, i rather Mercury focus on its Cougar and Capri, but Capri should be focus base.

tho this isn't about the Cougar, hopefully my new sig will make up for that ;)

if, IF Mercury got a 7-passenger replacement for the current Mountaineer (whatever its platform)

What you would think of using the name "Mariner7" (& call the regular Mariner "Mariner5")???

Edited by 2b2

tho this isn't about the Cougar, hopefully my new sig will make up for that ;)

if, IF Mercury got a 7-passenger replacement for the current Mountaineer (whatever its platform)

What you would think of using the name "Mariner7" (& call the regular Mariner "Mariner5")???

Love the signature. i have always been turn between the classic sleek cougar logo and round Cougar Head logo.

I like the whole space angle thing you are going for, not 100% on it as i think i would perfer to keep the names separate.