Bring the Cougar back!

I want to start this forum for people the love Cougars, lets face it. Mercury without a Cougar in thier line up is just not right.

My families first cougar was a 1978, I owned three cougars the last one was a 2002 35th anniversary eddition, it was beautiful, I regret the day I traded in that car but I digress/

I will admit Mercury is turning around, I own a Milan very nice, nicer than the Fusion will ever be.

I think they need to strike the iron while its hot, coupes go in and out of fashion fast and with the Mustang being succesfull and Chevy bringing back the Camaro and Dode the Challenger this could be the time that a Cougar can come back to compete against them and offer more luxury.

If Ford is listening there is a big market for cougar enthusiasts you can search the web and see the forums and websites.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cougar would be a great alternative to a Mustang with an emphasis on luxury content and features along with some unique styling. People would consider a Cougar that would othewise not consider a Mustang if it was presented with an upscale image. Not everyone wants a Mustang and none of the new ponycars offer a luxury image. The Mustang with all it's trim levels and special editions is still sporty in character.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to start this forum for people the love Cougars, lets face it. Mercury without a Cougar in thier line up is just not right.

My families first cougar was a 1978, I owned three cougars the last one was a 2002 35th anniversary eddition, it was beautiful, I regret the day I traded in that car but I digress/

I will admit Mercury is turning around, I own a Milan very nice, nicer than the Fusion will ever be.

I think they need to strike the iron while its hot, coupes go in and out of fashion fast and with the Mustang being succesfull and Chevy bringing back the Camaro and Dode the Challenger this could be the time that a Cougar can come back to compete against them and offer more luxury.

If Ford is listening there is a big market for cougar enthusiasts you can search the web and see the forums and websites.

I agree... I had a few of those generation 1977-1979 Cougars myself and I tell you. People love the general looks of the car. It's a standout and definitely an underrated design over the past 30 years; although Ford sold quite a bit of them even though not as much as the Thunderbird twin but I tell you that style looked a helluva lot better than the Thunderbird anyway. I also think the front end pattern was carried over to the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars of the 1980's. The dimensions of the grill and headlight/turn signal placement sure seem to be a dead-on match.

My how I miss the good ol' days! I wish I had that car in high school 15 years ago. My life would have been radically different!

A new Cougar would definitely be a good thing to have for Mercury. Currently, both Mercury and Lincoln lack flag ship cars. Mercury could introduce a Mustang-sourced Cougar. It could turn away from the Mustang's raucous, performance based image and instead focus on class, luxury and comfort. Yet still blow the doors off of your average value-sedan. It could perhaps compete with entry level performance-luxury cars like Buick's "Super" LaCrosse and Lucerne. Cougar's one and only mission should be to draw much needed attention to the Mercury brand.

A new Cougar would definitely be a good thing to have for Mercury. Currently, both Mercury and Lincoln lack flag ship cars. Mercury could introduce a Mustang-sourced Cougar. It could turn away from the Mustang's raucous, performance based image and instead focus on class, luxury and comfort. Yet still blow the doors off of your average value-sedan. It could perhaps compete with entry level performance-luxury cars like Buick's "Super" LaCrosse and Lucerne. Cougar's one and only mission should be to draw much needed attention to the Mercury brand.

I think that'd be a good role and place in the lineup for the Cougar to be. I think that a Cougar would only be a temporary "fix" to Mercury's lack of product problem. I think the way to go with Mercury would be to (after Lincoln gets its own distinct lineup) give Mercury its own lineup as well that is geared more toward the sporty luxury market, that would then justify the Cougar's existence since the entire lineup would portray the same image.

Mercury could introduce a Mustang-sourced Cougar. It could turn away from the Mustang's raucous, performance based image and instead focus on class, luxury and comfort.

You mean do the same thing it did when it was first introduced in 1967... :happy feet:

Obtainable affordable luxury of a car costing thousands more has always been a successful formula. The 1977-79 Thunderbird was the prime example of such a sales success. If you look at the market now, people still want affordable distinctive cars that are luxurious, well contented and comfortable without the run of the mill high volume rental car look. I still believe there is room for something a notch above the Mustang that is personal, distinctive and a more luxurious alternative.

Funny thing last night I actually had a dream about Mercury showing a new Cougar... It looked like a modern updated version of the original the same way that the current Mustang is an updated version of the classic one.

I think that'd be a good role and place in the lineup for the Cougar to be. I think that a Cougar would only be a temporary "fix" to Mercury's lack of product problem. I think the way to go with Mercury would be to (after Lincoln gets its own distinct lineup) give Mercury its own lineup as well that is geared more toward the sporty luxury market, that would then justify the Cougar's existence since the entire lineup would portray the same image.

Yes, Mercury has to get its own image. The entire Mercury brand lineup is made up of re-badged Ford models. Just one car, if done right, could bring attention to Mercury.

The idea of a new Cougar has been bounced around since its end of production in 2002.

The main reason why one wasn't launched in 2005 with the Mustang was that Flat Rock didn't have any spare capacity.

Right now, the Cougar has been thrown in the same product bin as the new Thunderbird. Going to happen, just a matter of getting the development cash and extra capacity at a suitable plant. Expect one within 3 years of Ford's return to profitability.

The idea of a new Cougar has been bounced around since its end of production in 2002.

The main reason why one wasn't launched in 2005 with the Mustang was that Flat Rock didn't have any spare capacity.

Right now, the Cougar has been thrown in the same product bin as the new Thunderbird. Going to happen, just a matter of getting the development cash and extra capacity at a suitable plant. Expect one within 3 years of Ford's return to profitability.

It's pretty bad that Fords people want to buy are sitting on the self while Ford is having trouble giving away cars no one really wants like the Taurus... The Mustang and F-150 are the only vehicles Ford has left that has a return customer base to buy new models of the same nameplates after a few years of ownership.

It's pretty bad that Fords people want to buy are sitting on the self while Ford is having trouble giving away cars no one really wants like the Taurus... The Mustang and F-150 are the only vehicles Ford has left that has a return customer base to buy new models of the same nameplates after a few years of ownership.

Damn straight. I'd buy a new Thunderbird or Cougar tommorrow... not sure I could say the same about anything in ANYONE'S showroom right now, with the possible exception of the S5.

audi-s5-3-big.jpg

I agree, they need to broaden the L/M lineup. Also this may bring in a few more customers who would of not considered FMCo before.

I think mercury should build a four door cougar and a coupe cougar . For example , look at the dodge chargers a lot of people consider them because of the sport looking aggressive style .

We bought a '06 Charger for my wife. She just loves it, won't take it anywhere that might cause a door ding. We use the Sable for running to Walmart and such. The Charger sure does have an aggressive looking front end, plus a lot of interior room!! If Mercury could come out with something to compete with it, I'd sure be looking hard at it.

Now all we need is to sign a petition and send it to Ford so they can realize how much the public would like to see a Mercury Cougar but i just guess the problem is ford does not had the resources to build a Cougar or they are like RMC has said in other topics relating to the MC, is they are giving all attention to lincoln and then later on will focus on Mercury.

Now all we need is to sign a petition and send it to Ford so they can realize how much the public would like to see a Mercury Cougar but i just guess the problem is ford does not had the resources to build a Cougar or they are like RMC has said in other topics relating to the MC, is they are giving all attention to lincoln and then later on will focus on Mercury.

Ok well lets get this petition going, my family had always had a cougar in thier house starting with a 1977 MC and I guess it always stuck with me as my first new car was a 99 cougar and then the last cougar I owned was a 2002 35th anniversary edition. I loved my 02 cougar I regret to this day trading it in. I have a 2006 Milan now which is ok but Its not a Cougar. I know the new edge cougars are not a fan favorite but I thought it really gave mercury and edge they needed to bad they couldnt keep it going.

Im just concerned that Ford is intruducing new products left and right and none are going to Mercury, I dont want them to kill of the brand and then I will never have a Cougar again. I cant imagine that nameplace being discarded.