Bring the Cougar back!

I can agree with you about wiki being inacurate sometimes but hopefully the sable page is acurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Sable

I dont really agree here, I think the Taurus X is a dud and a Sable X would do little to attract buyers. Why give a car thats not selling well over to a brand that really needs a hot seller.

Now I would be for a version of the Edge/MKX for Mercury but they probably wouldnt do it so customers dont buy that over an MKX.

I wonder if there is no winning in this for us. Im for bringing European models and selling them as Mercury here.

bring the euro focus over to mercury call it whatever you want just get it here, bring the Mondeo over and have it take over the Milan to differntiate it from Fusion/MKZ. keep the Mariner and Sable (hopefully the Sable will continue when Ford introduces the New Taurus.

And of course build my Cougar!!!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really agree here, I think the Taurus X is a dud and a Sable X would do little to attract buyers. Why give a car thats not selling well over to a brand that really needs a hot seller.

Now I would be for a version of the Edge/MKX for Mercury but they probably wouldnt do it so customers dont buy that over an MKX.

I wonder if there is no winning in this for us. Im for bringing European models and selling them as Mercury here.

bring the euro focus over to mercury call it whatever you want just get it here, bring the Mondeo over and have it take over the Milan to differntiate it from Fusion/MKZ. keep the Mariner and Sable (hopefully the Sable will continue when Ford introduces the New Taurus.

And of course build my Cougar!!!!

Well, would you rather have a vehicle with lackluster sales = sales at all, or no vehicle = no sales? I'd think since the tooling is already paid for and being used, having a Mercury TX (or SX) would be better than nothing.

As you said, I don't believe a Mercury Edge/MKX would be a good idea, too much overlap, and that's probably why one wasn't designed.

You mentioned bringing Euro models here....as I've said many times, that'd only be a short term solution, and one that is increasingly less worth it. With Ford globalizing it's products, etc., bringing Euro Fords over would just put Mercury in the same rebadge boat it's in now in a few years....and with the globalization already beginning, the new global Fords are only a year or two away (some models at least), thus rendering a Euro Ford -> US Mercury rebadge useless at this time and a waste of money.

Well, would you rather have a vehicle with lackluster sales = sales at all, or no vehicle = no sales? I'd think since the tooling is already paid for and being used, having a Mercury TX (or SX) would be better than nothing.

As you said, I don't believe a Mercury Edge/MKX would be a good idea, too much overlap, and that's probably why one wasn't designed.

You mentioned bringing Euro models here....as I've said many times, that'd only be a short term solution, and one that is increasingly less worth it. With Ford globalizing it's products, etc., bringing Euro Fords over would just put Mercury in the same rebadge boat it's in now in a few years....and with the globalization already beginning, the new global Fords are only a year or two away (some models at least), thus rendering a Euro Ford -> US Mercury rebadge useless at this time and a waste of money.

honestly yes, I rather them not get nothing, a sable X wouldnt do anything for the brand. I think it will just back track us, Ford doesnt even want the Taurus X.

If bring euro fords is a short term solution at least its one that brings attention, I am not saying bring them all over. personally I would like to see euro ford focus, Mondeo based milan, new Sable based on the new Taurus, new cougar based on the mustang and keep the mariner and yes keep Grand Marquis Tweek it but keep it, it is the best seller.

maybe it wont work, maybe it well but if Alan Mullany wants Ford to be basically the Mercury brand so there is no inbetween between Ford and Lincoln. Than Kill it, it will be a sad day for us Mercury lovers but what can I do. I dont run Ford and maybe I only want Mercury because Fords to me is a car for the masses, Mercury brings manages to be the best of both worlds between ford and lincoln.

I think if GM manages to keep Buick,Pontiac and Saturn alive then Ford can definetly put some effort in a plan that will work for Mercury.

honestly yes, I rather them not get nothing, a sable X wouldnt do anything for the brand. I think it will just back track us, Ford doesnt even want the Taurus X.

If bring euro fords is a short term solution at least its one that brings attention, I am not saying bring them all over. personally I would like to see euro ford focus, Mondeo based milan, new Sable based on the new Taurus, new cougar based on the mustang and keep the mariner and yes keep Grand Marquis Tweek it but keep it, it is the best seller.

maybe it wont work, maybe it well but if Alan Mullany wants Ford to be basically the Mercury brand so there is no inbetween between Ford and Lincoln. Than Kill it, it will be a sad day for us Mercury lovers but what can I do. I dont run Ford and maybe I only want Mercury because Fords to me is a car for the masses, Mercury brings manages to be the best of both worlds between ford and lincoln.

I think if GM manages to keep Buick,Pontiac and Saturn alive then Ford can definetly put some effort in a plan that will work for Mercury.

I see.

I believe that once JLR is gone, that will free up some much needed cash to fund Lincoln, Volvo, and eventually Mercury's expansions. (and Ford of course)

A revitalized product lineup could easily make Mercury relevant again.....even Buick seems to be doing well. I just had an idea, what if Ford shipped Mercuries AND Lincolns to China whenever that happens......Mercury could continue to be the rung below Lincoln, but it could offer similar features and different styling....the Chinese seem to like Buick, so it could work.

post-28332-1202347760_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

I see.

I believe that once JLR is gone, that will free up some much needed cash to fund Lincoln, Volvo, and eventually Mercury's expansions. (and Ford of course)

A revitalized product lineup could easily make Mercury relevant again.....even Buick seems to be doing well. I just had an idea, what if Ford shipped Mercuries AND Lincolns to China whenever that happens......Mercury could continue to be the rung below Lincoln, but it could offer similar features and different styling....the Chinese seem to like Buick, so it could work.

that may work,

love that capri

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I think the cougar should go back to it's roots. A Mustang based luxury car. No 4 doors, no wagons, CUV or whatever. Just a luxurious 2 door coupe or rag top. :glare:

Well said, anyone who thinks different is out of touch with what Americans want and are living back in the 60's & 70's. :stop:

I am not sure when you started driving cars but Mercury has always beans a re-baged Ford. Back in the 60's & 70's and even the early 80's that worked. But Ford does not have the $$ to design & build a Mercury from scratch, let alone all the models you all are talking about.

The new Lincoln MKS should do well if they price it right and market the hell out it. Ford should then rebaged it as a new Taurus & Sable if Mercury even is still around.

Oh and I used to own a lot of Fords .

1949 club coupe

1953 Ford Crown Victoria

1953 Mercury 2 dr hardtop

1959 Ford 2dr

1964 Ford Falcon Futura

1964 Ford Rangero

So I know my cars and if you think Mercury will survive then you are living in the past. Ford is having a hard enough time as it is. Don't get me wrong I thing Ford has some good cars its just they don't jump out at you and say come get me. The new Taurus is boring & boxy

:banghead:

I am not sure when you started driving cars but Mercury has always beans a re-baged Ford. Back in the 60's & 70's and even the early 80's that worked. But Ford does not have the $$ to design & build a Mercury from scratch, let alone all the models you all are talking about.

The new Lincoln MKS should do well if they price it right and market the hell out it. Ford should then rebaged it as a new Taurus & Sable if Mercury even is still around.

Oh and I used to own a lot of Fords .

1949 club coupe

1953 Ford Crown Victoria

1953 Mercury 2 dr hardtop

1959 Ford 2dr

1964 Ford Falcon Futura

1964 Ford Rangero

So I know my cars and if you think Mercury will survive then you are living in the past. Ford is having a hard enough time as it is. Don't get me wrong I thing Ford has some good cars its just they don't jump out at you and say come get me. The new Taurus is boring & boxy

:banghead:

So still nothing yet huh guys?

• 2 months later...
does anyone have any contacts a ford that we can write to besides thier customer relations?

You can try WFord@Ford.com. That use to work.

While Bill Ford is not CEO anymore, he still represents some might important Ford stock holders (the Ford family itself).

Then eliminate the overlap? :finger:

Eliminate any kind of Edge Limited, and send those customers over to Mercury. As I mentioned in my other postings, Ford needs to decide if it wants to keep Mercury, and if it does, STOP the internal rivalry between Ford division and Mercury division. I mean, isn't competing with GM, Honda, Toyota enough to keep Ford division busy?

Edited by Walt

Eliminate any kind of Edge Limited, and send those customers over to Mercury. As I mentioned in my other postings, Ford needs to decide if it wants to keep Mercury, and if it does, STOP the internal rivalry between Ford division and Mercury division. I mean, isn't competing with GM, Honda, Toyota enough to keep Ford division busy?

thats not going to happen, Ford wants to have it all now! They could have done a cougar by now with miminal cost.

Eh, I like the Limited offering in the Ford lineup. It's close to the MKX, but not quite there....which I suppose could be your argument for a Mercury version. I still think they'd be too close.

I think once the MKX moves away from an Edge rebadge design-wise, etc, Mercury would have a better chance of getting a midsize CUV. At the moment though, as I said before, there'd be too much overlap.

Eh, I like the Limited offering in the Ford lineup. It's close to the MKX, but not quite there....which I suppose could be your argument for a Mercury version. I still think they'd be too close.

I think once the MKX moves away from an Edge rebadge design-wise, etc, Mercury would have a better chance of getting a midsize CUV. At the moment though, as I said before, there'd be too much overlap.

Ford has S,SE, SEL and LIMITED.

Mercury has Base and Premier, They still needs 2 more trim lines to be equal to Ford.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bingo!

I had a '76 and a '93 Cougar. The '93 was the best car I have ever owned. Up untill the point when it completely fell apart by 2004.

What a whacky journey it was:

500 miles: Installed a Code Alarm security system with remote door lock/un-lock feature

700 miles: Went to a strip joint in my new Cougar in a complete downpour. Used the valet service(new car, I'm going to show off a bit eh.. eh... eh...) Came out after 2 hours, the valet service had left the keys out in the thunderstorm. So much for the remote door locks

36,001 miles: Right mirror fell off while driving straight and level at 30 mph (realy, no potholes, no bumps, no nuttin', just 30 mph and DINK... Watched it skip down the street in my rearview miror before it blew-up... bummer)

50,000 miles: Remote fuel door stoped working. Need gas? Pop the trunk and on the right side pull the cable to relese the fuel door. This worked o.k. untill the remote trunk release stoped working at about 90K. Good thing the tire iron was in the back seat. Never had a problem with that fuel door again

52,000 miles: Head gasket... Enough said. $600.00 and a case of cheap beer to a friend of a friend to replace it. Would have cost me $2,000 at the dealer.

53,000 miles: A.C. went out. Never did have the time to bring it to the shop

65,000 miles: Sub-woofer stoped working. No big deal since 2 of the other speakers went out and I was used to a crappy sounding stereo by now

70,000 miles: 3 of the 4 tires all at one time decided to get rim leaks

71,000 miles: Electric drivers seat went out (Worked on that bastard for 3 days. Gave up. Learned to sit closer to the wheel)

73,000 miles: Drivers seat back gives way (Now, i'm not a HUGE man ladies, just your average middle aged, Mercury buying, blue coller, working stiff)(ohhh.... I got the seat to stay upright by putting a C-clamp on one of the thingies and ataching it to the other upright gizmo)

78,000 miles: Cigarette lighter has'nt worked for 20,000 miles. Sucks since I'm a smoker. By the way, the ashtry is still empty. I have yet to use it since I don't want to depreciate my car if I ever sell it

90,000 miles: The paint went from a dark rich black to a bizzare shade of white/grey

83,000 miles: Drivers side window#1: Hot as two rats f@*&ing in a wool sock outside! The drivers window won't roll down. Cool trick. Pop the door panel, take the tire iron and place it on the window motor, and give it a good smack with the 2 pound owners manuel. The window starts working for a few days.

85,000 Miles: Ever see water in a headlight before? Now I have

92,000 miles: Drivers side window#2... One bump on the Dan Ryan in Chicago and WHAM!!! Down goes the window. After removing the door panel, the whole track assembly is shot. wedged a piece of wood in the track to keep it up...FOREVER! (If your hot, roll down the passenger side)

130,000 miles: It's been a hard life. Been sitting far a couple of months. I call a tow truck and get $80.00 for it... CASH! After buying lunch and more than a few beers, I realize that with all its faults, it's been one of the better cars I've owned. I did have a blast in that car. I'm going to miss her.

TAXI!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know that somebody probably already said this but why not use a new RWD platform for the australian Falcon, Mustang, a Cougar, and a new Mark series for Lincoln. With more vehicles the platform will recoup its development costs quicker. Each would have its own idiosyncrasies to differentiate but still be more profitable. The engines could be a difference.

Mustang: Ecoboost 2.5L, 3.5L Duratec, Ecoboost 3.5L, 5.0L Coyote

Cougar: Ecoboost 3.5L

MK9?: 3.7L Duratec, Ecoboost 3.7L, 5.0L Coyote (or a variant), supercharged 5.0L Coyote (or variant).

I know that somebody probably already said this but why not use a new RWD platform for the australian Falcon, Mustang, a Cougar, and a new Mark series for Lincoln. With more vehicles the platform will recoup its development costs quicker. Each would have its own idiosyncrasies to differentiate but still be more profitable. The engines could be a difference.

Mustang: Ecoboost 2.5L, 3.5L Duratec, Ecoboost 3.5L, 5.0L Coyote

Cougar: Ecoboost 3.5L

MK9?: 3.7L Duratec, Ecoboost 3.7L, 5.0L Coyote (or a variant), supercharged 5.0L Coyote (or variant).

It has definitely be rehashed several times. The possibility for a global RWD platform is still alive, but I don't think it's going to happen quickly.