How the Flex will be a success

elkarlo

Half agree...

YES those wishing to special order should understand that reneging on the order is akin to trying to 'return' a car after buying it and therefore if they really want it they should commit legally/financially.

Half YES to the dealer installed options. I agree the sunroof/ moonroof & paint should be done at the factory, however I have no problem with running boards, hood deflectors, spoilers etc being done locally/regionally.

When I purchased my Sienna, several items were added post-factory. Toyota called it "port installed" options, meaning there was a regional [mini-factory?] facility within/nearby the shipping port that did all the region's post factory installs. They managed to get those parts on perfectly. Maybe Ford could use this approach for some of Flex's simpler options... like the minifridge.

Anything secured to the body that necessitates drillng holes compromise the longevity of the body, if it is a factory instal than the holes are stamped into the sheet metal and painted to assure proper alignment and that it won't rust. Many, many of these done aftermarket will rust where holes where drilled in time, with the exception of running boards that are attached to the frame directly! (not the ground effex type) If holes are drilled and cheap hardware is used where ever you put screws is where it will rust and even silicone is not fool proof. I'm not saying that factory instals wont rust but that it is less likely!

Edited by Furious1Auto

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything secured to the body that necessitates drilling holes compromise the longevity of the body, if it is a factory install than the holes are stamped into the sheet metal and painted to assure proper alignment and that it won't rust. Many, many of these done aftermarket will rust where holes where drilled in time, with the exception of running boards that are attached to the frame directly! (not the ground affix type) If holes are drilled and cheap hardware is used where ever you put screws is where it will rust and even silicone is not fool proof. I'm not saying that factory installs wont rust but that it is less likely!

I assumed that some of the holes are placed on every unit. My Sienna didn't get drilled, the holes were already there. I guess, however, like the Mustang where there is a factory spoiler delete option then yeah some drilling will be necessitated.

Will the Flex need body kits/spoilers? I was thinkly mostly of interior stuff to be done by region/dealer would seem optimal.

A contract sans a VIN number is worth zilch, nothing, nada.....worthless......

Sounds like that technicality is part of the problem? How hard would it be for the factory to issue a pending VIN number before beginning assembly. If the customer walks then the VIN is destroyed without much more than a few electrons moved around and some bits of metal re-polarized?.

Edited by joihan777

Will the Flex need body kits/spoilers? I was thinkly mostly of interior stuff to be done by region/dealer would seem optimal.

I agree, everything besides the body mods could be done by a Ford affiliate. The Econoline I build has optional clearance lights on the roof, and all of the holes are pre-stamped into the panels. The Flex by the looks of the sight I linked earlier in this thread is going to have spoilers and ground skirts as an option also!

Another point gentlemen. (This came up from another thread regarding CAFE regulations)

The new Flex will probably have the D35/6-SpdAT. What if the engine computer was tuned down to a very thrifty 150hp mode as 'normal/economy' mode, with full power at sport mode? Would long drives on economy mode coupled with short burst sport driving increase fuel efficiency? How would this affect the CAFE test cycle? Would Ford come up daisies? The selection to drive in sport mode can be coupled with selecting "S"port mode on the transmission thus magnifying the savings. (P-R-N-D-S)

I am not an automotive engineer but I hope this will spawn some interest from Ford.

I agree, everything besides the body mods could be done by a Ford affiliate. The Econoline I build has optional clearance lights on the roof, and all of the holes are pre-stamped into the panels. The Flex by the looks of the sight I linked earlier in this thread is going to have spoilers and ground skirts as an option also!

You build Econolines? Wow my church has used them for years and I have driven them for *many* years, even professionally for a while. Dude, many thanks! I totally preferred Ford to the Chevys... and we will not speak of the Dodges. You guys make a great product! (Our church even had a Silver Triton? V-10 once. We named it the Millenium Falcon!)

You build Econolines? Wow my church has used them for years and I have driven them for *many* years, even professionally for a while. Dude, many thanks! I totally preferred Ford to the Chevys... and we will not speak of the Dodges. You guys make a great product! (Our church even had a Silver Triton? V-10 once. We named it the Millenium Falcon!)

:hysterical: Thanks, we are getting better too. There are a couple advancements we are lacking now but they are being handled ie; back-up cameras and GPS. these options will give a a little more edge on the market along with the introduction of the Ford Transit to the U.S. which is slated to be built at our plant by the same people and quality standards. I will do everything in my power to see to it that our customers get exactly what they expect and more, well as much as I can being an assembler! I will say that since we (the domestic automakers) have felt the crunch Ford has spent allot of money upgrading materials that we use to build our vehicles! If you were happy with our older models you would be pleased to know we have drastically improved them since 04' Thanks for the pat on the back, and God Bless you!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Went to the Flex site and built one. Why is it only getting the 3.5 and not the 3.7 that's going into the Mazda CX-9? The Taurus uses the the 3.5; so Ford's going to use the same engine in a ful-size, heavier CUV? Doesn't make sense. Anyway, I like the styling, inside and outside; plus the fact it has plenty of second row room.

I don't even believe that's exactly correct. 2WD models, no matter the trim level, got drums. 4WD and hybrid models got discs.

EDIT: I'm going from memory from when I shopping for my Escape. It occurred to me that it may have only been AWD V6 models that got rear discs which would be XLT and Limited models. That jives with your chart.

That is correct, 2WD(non hybrid) had rear drums, all 4WD and Hybrid had rear discs.

Went to the Flex site and built one. Why is it only getting the 3.5 and not the 3.7 that's going into the Mazda CX-9? The Taurus uses the the 3.5; so Ford's going to use the same engine in a ful-size, heavier CUV? Doesn't make sense. Anyway, I like the styling, inside and outside; plus the fact it has plenty of second row room.

The 3.5 is also used in the Edge and I can tell you from first hand experience that it is fast!

:hysterical: Thanks, we are getting better too. There are a couple advancements we are lacking now but they are being handled ie; back-up cameras and GPS. these options will give a a little more edge on the market along with the introduction of the Ford Transit to the U.S. which is slated to be built at our plant by the same people and quality standards. I will do everything in my power to see to it that our customers get exactly what they expect and more, well as much as I can being an assembler! I will say that since we (the domestic automakers) have felt the crunch Ford has spent allot of money upgrading materials that we use to build our vehicles! If you were happy with our older models you would be pleased to know we have drastically improved them since 04' Thanks for the pat on the back, and God Bless you!

Speaking of backup cameras, some people don't know how to use them properly. We had a Schwann's delivery driver deliver some food to my house last Friday (the day of my sinus surgery, incidentally ...). Anyway, it was very very very foggy that night. So, when it came time for him to back out of our long 220 foot driveway, we offered him help if he wanted it. He declined our help, noting that he "has an infared camera so [he] won't have any trouble backing down." We figured he was a professional and let him go on his merry way.

Saturday morning, my dad walked down the driveway with the dog. My dad's Jaguar XJ6 is the car we park off to the side of our driveway on a strip of pavement. Anyway, my dad looked at his car admiringly until he noticed a huge dent in the passenger door and front fender. We called our insurance agent and reported a hit and run. You might say "Maybe he didn't know he hit the car." Possibly, but I highly doubt it - the car moved 6 inches from the spot where it was parked. We have pictures that show the skid marks. Needless to say, if he wants to deliver food to our house in the future he definitely won't be getting a kind reception. A little professional courtesy would have been nice. I hope that scum gets fired.

Speaking of backup cameras, some people don't know how to use them properly. We had a Schwann's delivery driver deliver some food to my house last Friday (the day of my sinus surgery, incidentally ...). Anyway, it was very very very foggy that night. So, when it came time for him to back out of our long 220 foot driveway, we offered him help if he wanted it. He declined our help, noting that he "has an infared camera so [he] won't have any trouble backing down." We figured he was a professional and let him go on his merry way.

Saturday morning, my dad walked down the driveway with the dog. My dad's Jaguar XJ6 is the car we park off to the side of our driveway on a strip of pavement. Anyway, my dad looked at his car admiringly until he noticed a huge dent in the passenger door and front fender. We called our insurance agent and reported a hit and run. You might say "Maybe he didn't know he hit the car." Possibly, but I highly doubt it - the car moved 6 inches from the spot where it was parked. We have pictures that show the skid marks. Needless to say, if he wants to deliver food to our house in the future he definitely won't be getting a kind reception. A little professional courtesy would have been nice. I hope that scum gets fired.

The cameras will be installed in addition to westcoast mirrors not in leau of them! Some people can't back up at all, he was ignorant not to utilize your help!

I was selling Toyota Siennas when the rear view camera first came out, its still one of the better ones out there. I kinda liked it, but on dozens and dozens of test drives, I forgot that playing video games since they were invented makes it a lot easier to translate the information looking forward and going backwards. Most people are 'not so great' at registering the information. Reverse sensing systems however are reliable indicators of distance and if you get confused as to your position force you to turn around and LOOK at what's back there, which is more intuitive to people in the first place. 90% of the time I let people park the Siennas with the camera, I had to get out and re-park it. I guess you can say at least they didn't hit anything.

I was selling Toyota Siennas when the rear view camera first came out, its still one of the better ones out there. I kinda liked it, but on dozens and dozens of test drives, I forgot that playing video games since they were invented makes it a lot easier to translate the information looking forward and going backwards. Most people are 'not so great' at registering the information. Reverse sensing systems however are reliable indicators of distance and if you get confused as to your position force you to turn around and LOOK at what's back there, which is more intuitive to people in the first place. 90% of the time I let people park the Siennas with the camera, I had to get out and re-park it. I guess you can say at least they didn't hit anything.

Most who drive the vehicle we build do it for a living and will get the necessary experience in short order, contractors and expeditors. Very few of the public buy full size Vans anymore except maybe conversion Vans, that is why our market has been so steady for years. Just like F-150's people "need" them to perform their jobs! The biggest point is that back up camera's are being requested by our customers!

Edited by Furious1Auto

The cameras will be installed in addition to westcoast mirrors not in leau of them! Some people can't back up at all, he was ignorant not to utilize your help!

Yeah, he was ignorant. I'm sure his company won't appreciate covering our $2500 repair bill. Assuming they will cover it. If they don't we're going to at least try to get the $500 deductible covered ... if they won't even do that, we'll file a suit against them.

Most who drive the vehicle we build do it for a living and will get the necessary experience in short order, contractors and expeditors. Very few of the public buy full size Vans anymore except maybe conversion Vans, that is why our market has been so steady for years. Just like F-150's people "need" them to perform their jobs! The biggest point is that back up camera's are being requested by our customers!

Isn't that one of the main reasons why there's been no drastic update for the Econoline in many years....contractors, etc. that install aftermarket interior storage shelves, etc. have been using the Econoline forever and Ford doesn't want to lose business by changing dimensions, causing them to have to change their tooling.

Yeah, he was ignorant. I'm sure his company won't appreciate covering our $2500 repair bill. Assuming they will cover it. If they don't we're going to at least try to get the $500 deductible covered ... if they won't even do that, we'll file a suit against them.

Well, good luck with that, I hope you can get it solved without issue. I also hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Well, good luck with that, I hope you can get it solved without issue. I also hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Thanks! I'm not doing too bad for it being only a week after the surgery. The doctor took out the splints that were in my nose today (ouch! that didn't feel great). I feel pretty good, except it feels like the splints are still in there. It's kind of an odd sensation.

You won't believe how big those things they had in my nose were. The doctor pulled it out, and he was like "This is going to feel less than great .. sorry." Then after he pulled them out, he was like "Take a look at how big these are. Patients are always surprised we can squish these things in a nasal passage."

nasalsplint1.png

Wonderful ...

Edited by SVT_MAN

Thanks! I'm not doing too bad for it being only a week after the surgery. The doctor took out the splints that were in my nose today (ouch! that didn't fele great). I feel pretty good, except it feels like the splints are still in there. It's kind of an odd sensation.

You're welcome. I'm sure the sensation will go away eventually. I myself am nursing a possibly broken ankle (the doctor cant tell if it's broken....I'm in a boot. Not fun, I have to use crutches, they don't want me putting weight on it yet. I injured it playing soccer.

Thanks! (ouch! that didn't fele great). I feel pretty good, except it feels like the splints are still in there. It's kind of an odd sensation.

Kind of like the residule affects of our debates! :hysterical: Didn't realize you were recovering from a surgery, hope you feel better!

Edited by Furious1Auto

You're welcome. I'm sure the sensation will go away eventually. I myself am nursing a possibly broken ankle (the doctor cant tell if it's broken....I'm in a boot. Not fun, I have to use crutches, they don't want me putting weight on it yet. I injured it playing soccer.

Yikes. Hope you recover quickly as well!

But - look on the bright side .... At least you didn't break your wrist playing soccer. At least you didn't break it because a large adolescent (who was playing soccer on the opposite team) ran into you while you were watching the ball and not the large adolescent running at you full speed. At least you didn't careen to the ground when a GIRL, roughly double your weight, ran into you, causing you to fall on your right wrist, fracturing it due to your entire body's weight falling on it.

That story is too bizarre for me to make it up. In 7th grade, I broke my wrist .. because a girl ran into me playing soccer on a coed team! A rather large girl. She had to have been 180 lbs. I bet I only weighed 100 lbs at the time. Oh man, that was embarassing, but funny now that I look back at it ... :hysterical:

Edited by SVT_MAN

But - look on the bright side .... At least you didn't break your wrist playing soccer. At least you didn't break it because a large adolescent (who was playing soccer on the opposite team) ran into you while you were watching the ball and not the large adolescent running at you full speed. At least you didn't careen to the ground when a GIRL, roughly double your weight, ran into you, causing you to fall on your right wrist, fracturing it due to your entire body's weight falling on it.

That story is too bizarre for me to make it up. In 7th grade, I broke my wrist .. because a girl ran into me playing soccer on a coed team! A rather large girl. She had to have been 180 lbs. I bet I only weighed 100 lbs at the time. Oh man, that was embarassing, but funny now that I look back at it ... :hysterical:

Wow, that is kinda funny now looking back. Unfortunately, it looks like my injury is going to end my season. Oh well.

Girls can be dangerous, I broke my nose once, and it was broken by the hottest blonde I've

ever seen, I was walking up a set of stairs and she was coming down, she tripped, fell forward and head butted me right on the bridge of my nose, and of course I played it off like it didn't hurt.. :slug:

Edited by Blueblood