How the Flex will be a success

elkarlo

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I could've typed that much much better.

IIRC, this was the option matrix before '07:

|Drum|Disc|
-----+----+----|
XLS 4| ST | NA |
XLT 4| ST | NA |
XLT 6| ST | OP |
LTD 6| ST | OP |
HYBR | NA | ST |
-----+----+----|

The hybrids still have discs standard, so the big change is that discs are no longer optional on the XLT & LTD models

Yeah, I could've typed that much much better.

IIRC, this was the option matrix before '07:

|Drum|Disc|
-----+----+----|
XLS 4| ST | NA |
XLT 4| ST | NA |
XLT 6| ST | OP |
LTD 6| ST | OP |
HYBR | NA | ST |
-----+----+----|

The hybrids still have discs standard, so the big change is that discs are no longer optional on the XLT & LTD models

I don't even believe that's exactly correct. 2WD models, no matter the trim level, got drums. 4WD and hybrid models got discs.

EDIT: I'm going from memory from when I shopping for my Escape. It occurred to me that it may have only been AWD V6 models that got rear discs which would be XLT and Limited models. That jives with your chart.

Edited by TomServo92

Which I find odd because the auto makers are insisting on having 3-4 vehicles that all do the same things.

Ford you have:

Taurus X - Excellent people mover with enough space to carry a grocery bag or a ton of 6ft florescent light bulbs, has AWD, and seats 6-7 people.

Escape - Small SUV, 5 people, AWD, but smaller than the X and can hold less people, and tows 3500K.

Edge - Bigger than the Escape, but only holds 5 people. Can be had with AWD, tows 3500K.

Upcoming xB...err...Flex - Another AWD wagon, holds 7 people, tows 4K, looks to have TONS of room (boxes are very efficient).

Does Ford really think that each vehicle offers something unique enough to justify it's existence?

And before someone mentions gas mileage...how efficient is it to produce 4 vehicles versus two?

I know which two I would axe

This notion is simply silly. Taurus X, Escape, Edge, and Flex all suit the wants and needs of different customers. They might serve similar purposes, but they are not interchangable.

The Taurus X and Escape end up being people who are more traditional in their CUV choice. They probably would have purchased an SUV if gas prices didn't suck.

People who buy a Taurus X value functionality over style and don't care about being the "next big thing" on the block. They don't buy a vehicle to make a fashion statement. They want a no-nonsense people hauler that is safe, has tons of space, and gets decent fuel mileage.

The Escape is the CUV for people who want the athletic CUV. They value a CUV that is "up in the air" but it is easily manueverable, handles well for its size, and it feels light and nimble on its feet. They value the traditional "tough but cute" look of the original small SUVs. Generally younger people buy these than the Taurus X.

Then you have the Edge and Flex. To me, the Edge is to the Escape what the Flex is to the Taurus X. Both serve similar purposes, it's just that the Edge and Flex focus more on style than functionality. What they give up in functionalty, they make up in style for some people. Now, this in't to say that the Edge and Flex aren't functional. They are .. but I think the Taurus X and Escape represent more traditional ways of approaching a "CUV" whereas the Edge and Flex represent where the industry is largely headed.

The Edge is for people who are, well, "edgy" (even if it is only in their own mind). This CUV was totally created for people who want to look hip and urban. The CUV has a bold stance that is unmistakable - you don't forget one after you see one. It makes an impression on you. The Edge is DEFINITELY about a statement being made, hence why there are things the buyer gives up to the Taurus X - cargo space, seats, overall functionality - in the name of style. People who buy an Edge might occsaionally use it to haul stuff, but most of the time they just want to look good. A little bit of functionality is just an added bonus.

The Flex. The Flex is sort of the "edgy" version of the Taurus X. It hauls more people than the Edge, has a sort of hip "urban" look that isn't unlike the Scion. Should therefore appeal to urban trendsetters. Although the Flex is extremely boxy, boxy and simple lines seem to be the trend now. The days of jelly bean 1990s are gone.

Now, this is just my personal view of how the vehicles fit into the product mix. I'm sure Ford might disagree with some of what I said. As an outsider looking in though, that's what I see. If nothign else, I hope you can examine the vehicles for yourself and see that while there is defintely some overlap, one-size-fits all mass-marketing approaches are largely by the wayside. A Model T in any color as long as it's black is no longer acceptable. The automobile market should be driven by the consumer - and if Ford is listening to its consumers, then these products represent their wants and needs.

(If I said anything stupid, I blame it on the vicodin they gave me after my sinus surgery ....)

Interesting...I'm a dealer also and I'm a little concerned...we need a volume vehicle that we can sell...I don't think the Flex will do that.

Price/value equation is where I am also concerned. The vehicle seems a little pricey to me...I see it as a niche vehicle,nothing more...hopefully they won't treat it like the 500/Taurus..with absolutely no advertising or marketing.

Then don't stock your lot with Flexes, under purchase your inventory and push the customers on the custom availability of the Flex. Order a base model heavily modified and a more sufisticated version and push the walk-ins to this sight to custom order their own Flex. All you need is a laptop with a wireless link next to you Tricked out floor model flex so that the salesman can guide the customer through building their vehicle. They build it you work the deal and they sign before you order. Little in inventory cost but the custom options are a good turn on, it is what has made that stupid boxy Xb a hit only it is an entry level B model car and a sh-tty drivetrain! The 3.5 was already proven in the Edge and it won't be an issue like in the Xb, Toyota had to upgrade their powerplant in the new generation Xb! Customers want to customize their rides to show their personality. The difference is that with Scion all of the custom upgrades are done at the dealer, and the dealer has to inventory the parts! Most people will buy the base model but the availibility of custom modifications is a good come on for those with the credit! Get the word out and the volume will follow just as with the Xb!

Edited by Furious1Auto

This notion is simply silly. Taurus X, Escape, Edge, and Flex all suit the wants and needs of different customers. They might serve similar purposes, but they are not interchangable.

The Taurus X and Escape end up being people who are more traditional in their CUV choice. They probably would have purchased an SUV if gas prices didn't suck.

People who buy a Taurus X value functionality over style and don't care about being the "next big thing" on the block. They don't buy a vehicle to make a fashion statement. They want a no-nonsense people hauler that is safe, has tons of space, and gets decent fuel mileage.

The Escape is the CUV for people who want the athletic CUV. They value a CUV that is "up in the air" but it is easily manueverable, handles well for its size, and it feels light and nimble on its feet. They value the traditional "tough but cute" look of the original small SUVs. Generally younger people buy these than the Taurus X.

Then you have the Edge and Flex. To me, the Edge is to the Escape what the Flex is to the Taurus X. Both serve similar purposes, it's just that the Edge and Flex focus more on style than functionality. What they give up in functionalty, they make up in style for some people. Now, this in't to say that the Edge and Flex aren't functional. They are .. but I think the Taurus X and Escape represent more traditional ways of approaching a "CUV" whereas the Edge and Flex represent where the industry is largely headed.

The Edge is for people who are, well, "edgy" (even if it is only in their own mind). This CUV was totally created for people who want to look hip and urban. The CUV has a bold stance that is unmistakable - you don't forget one after you see one. It makes an impression on you. The Edge is DEFINITELY about a statement being made, hence why there are things the buyer gives up to the Taurus X - cargo space, seats, overall functionality - in the name of style. People who buy an Edge might occsaionally use it to haul stuff, but most of the time they just want to look good. A little bit of functionality is just an added bonus.

The Flex. The Flex is sort of the "edgy" version of the Taurus X. It hauls more people than the Edge, has a sort of hip "urban" look that isn't unlike the Scion. Should therefore appeal to urban trendsetters. Although the Flex is extremely boxy, boxy and simple lines seem to be the trend now. The days of jelly bean 1990s are gone.

Now, this is just my personal view of how the vehicles fit into the product mix. I'm sure Ford might disagree with some of what I said. As an outsider looking in though, that's what I see. If nothign else, I hope you can examine the vehicles for yourself and see that while there is defintely some overlap, one-size-fits all mass-marketing approaches are largely by the wayside. A Model T in any color as long as it's black is no longer acceptable. The automobile market should be driven by the consumer - and if Ford is listening to its consumers, then these products represent their wants and needs.

(If I said anything stupid, I blame it on the vicodin they gave me after my sinus surgery ....)

I think you said it well....good job.

Very well said indeed. Some people seem to believe that if a vehicle does not suit them exactly, it must be crap and something that no one could possible like.

As for the Vicodin, House would be jealous :P

Then don't stock your lot with Flexes, under purchase your inventory and push the customers on the custom availability of the Flex. Order a base model heavily modified and a more sufisticated version and push the walk-ins to this sight to custom order their own Flex. All you need is a laptop with a wireless link next to you Tricked out floor model flex so that the salesman can guide the customer through building their vehicle. They build it you work the deal and they sign before you order. Little in inventory cost but the custom options are a good turn on, it is what has made that stupid boxy Xb a hit only it is an entry level B model car and a sh-tty drivetrain! The 3.5 was already proven in the Edge and it won't be an issue like in the Xb, Toyota had to upgrade their powerplant in the new generation Xb! Customers want to customize their rides to show their personality. The difference is that with Scion all of the custom upgrades are done at the dealer, and the dealer has to inventory the parts! Most people will buy the base model but the availibility of custom modifications is a good come on for those with the credit! Get the word out and the volume will follow just as with the Xb!

once again..........just long enough for buyers remorse to set in, the customer to reneg on the "deal" and the dealer to be burdened with a lime green with scarlet interior custom 'dream vehicle' ordered for someone with a very specific lack of taste....hasn't this subject been BEATEN before?....the ONLY way is to have said options dealer added...otherwise the DEALER gets stuck with lousy inventory with bizarre options because some customer wanted it "just so"...only to go to another dealer and find one close because he didn't want to wait.... :banghead: everyone here LOVES the idea of custom ordering but fails to see potential ramifications at the dealer level....have 2 basic packages ...XLT and Limited...with package options of perhaps 3 levels and leave the true custom at a dealer installed level....KEEP IT AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE and EVERYONE IS HAPPY....

once again..........just long enough for buyers remorse to set in, the customer to reneg on the "deal" and the dealer to be burdened with a lime green with scarlet interior custom 'dream vehicle' ordered for someone with a very specific lack of taste....hasn't this subject been BEATEN before?....the ONLY way is to have said options dealer added...otherwise the DEALER gets stuck with lousy inventory with bizarre options because some customer wanted it "just so"...only to go to another dealer and find one close because he didn't want to wait.... :banghead: everyone here LOVES the idea of custom ordering but fails to see potential ramifications at the dealer level....have 2 basic packages ...XLT and Limited...with package options of perhaps 3 levels and leave the true custom at a dealer installed level....KEEP IT AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE and EVERYONE IS HAPPY....

Hey it works for Toyota, the only downfall in having to pay inventory tax on the stocked mods that have not yet been sold!

Hey it works for Toyota, the only downfall in having to pay inventory tax on the stocked mods that have not yet been sold!

so what is the lessor of two evils....40 sets of wheels and tires or FLOORING FOR A YEAR ON SEVERAL ABORTIONS NO_ONE WANTS!....trust me this comes from witnessing a few vehicles that had BIRTHDAYS from us appeasing that so called fuss pot that just had to have the vehicle a certain way...one instance was a 50k 6.0 diesel with a STICK SHIFT....2 years of flooring and a HUGE loss to move the cobweb ridden behemouth.....and guess who took it in the shorts....NOT the customer.....it works for Toyaote due to the fact they are DEALER installed options...NOT factory.....aside from the initial package of course...

so what is the lessor of two evils....40 sets of wheels and tires or FLOORING FOR A YEAR ON SEVERAL ABORTIONS NO_ONE WANTS!....trust me this comes from witnessing a few vehicles that had BIRTHDAYS from us appeasing that so called fuss pot that just had to have the vehicle a certain way...one instance was a 50k 6.0 diesel with a STICK SHIFT....2 years of flooring and a HUGE loss to move the cobweb ridden behemouth.....and guess who took it in the shorts....NOT the customer.....it works for Toyaote due to the fact they are DEALER installed options...NOT factory.....aside from the initial package of course...

Exactly, every Scion is shipped to the dealer built the same way and the dealer does the modifications without it affecting the customers warranty! At least the add-ons in the inventory wont prevent the sale of a vehicle!

Exactly, every Scion is shipped to the dealer built the same way and the dealer does the modifications without it affecting the customers warranty! At least the add-ons in the inventory wont prevent the sale of a vehicle!

and THAT is why it works...it is NOT a factory oredered vehicle...they arrive basically one way and become an easel for the obligatory dealer added on bling....my contention is with the YO-YO"s that wish to be able to order a vehicle carte blanche with ZERO responsiblity if they change their fickle minds burdening the dealerships with un-necessary overheads...talk about self obsessed "all about me" oblivious ignoramous's...with ZERO respect for the consequences others have to endure becaus of THEIR actions.....

Edited by Deanh

and THAT is why it works...it is NOT a factory oredered vehicle...they arrive basically one way and become an easel for the obligatory dealer added on bling....my contention is with the YO-YO"s that wish to be able to order a vehicle carte blanche with ZERO responsiblity if they change their fickle minds burdening the dealerships with un-necessary overheads...talk about self obsessed "all about me" oblivious ignoramous's...with ZERO respect for the consequences others have to endure becaus of THEIR actions.....

3 out of 5 new vehicles I have bought were factory ordered. And I loved it.

Know what? The dealer only asked for partial payment (usually only $500). I wouldn't have minded signing a contract that stiplulated a $1000 "re-stocking" fee, much like returning high price consumer electronics. Maybe the fee could be purchase price based ~10%?

I wanted my car my way. The only time I didn't factory order my car was when the dealer had nearly everything I wanted on car already on the lot and gave me a big price break so he could sell 'today'.

Would such a stipulation work for the general population? It already does for consumer electronics.

Edited by joihan777

3 out of 5 new vehicles I have bought were factory ordered. And I loved it.

Know what? The dealer only asked for partial payment (usually only $500). I wouldn't have minded signing a contract that stiplulated a $1000 "re-stocking" fee, much like returning high price consumer electronics. Maybe the fee could be purchase price based ~10%?

I wanted my car my way. The only time I didn't factory order my car was when the dealer had nearly everything I wanted on car already on the lot and gave me a big price break so he could sell 'today'.

Would such a stipulation work for the general population? It already does for consumer electronics.

mainstream is ok...what were the vehicles you ordered.....if the said vehicles come basically one way then no problem.....HOWEVER if like the Superdutys there are 10 odd pages of single options it spells TROUBLE...and a possible $50k mistake burdened by the dealer....look at the guides for mustangs...NOT a lot that strays from the beaten path, and very few ODDBALL options....now grab a Truck ordering guide and the problems are readily apparent.........and "re-stocking" fees to get commitments from customers are ILLEGAL.....but it would be a deterrent.....some customers really don't give a rats about the dealers

Edited by Deanh

mainstream is ok...what were the vehicles you ordered.....if the said vehicles come basically one way then no problem.....HOWEVER if like the Superdutys there are 10 odd pages of single options it spells TROUBLE...and a possible $50k mistake burdened by the dealer....look at the guides for mustangs...NOT a lot that strays from the beaten path, and very few ODDBALL options....now grab a Truck ordering guide and the problems are readily apparent.........and "re-stocking" fees to get commitments from customers are ILLEGAL.....but it would be a deterrent.....

How about making them sign the contract with deffered payment till the dealer takes delivery and waiting the three day grace period period for terminating a contract before the vehicle is ordered! When people know the terms up front than they are less likely to care, the only issue is the length of time it takes Ford to fill the order! People want what the want, but there should not be any penalty to the dealer for helping them try to get it!

Edited by Furious1Auto

mainstream is ok...what were the vehicles you ordered.....if the said vehicles come basically one way then no problem.....HOWEVER if like the Superdutys there are 10 odd pages of single options it spells TROUBLE...and a possible $50k mistake burdened by the dealer....look at the guides for mustangs...NOT a lot that strays from the beaten path, and very few ODDBALL options....now grab a Truck ordering guide and the problems are readily apparent.........and "re-stocking" fees to get commitments from customers are ILLEGAL.....but it would be a deterrent.....some customers really don't give a rats about the dealers

My first new car ever, a 1991 Ford Escort LX. Had to order it because they didn't have a midnight blue with a stick and cruise control. 6 weeks later I was one happy dude. Although the dealer had to teach me to drive a stick in the back lot! My Sienna & Rodeo Sport were ordered too.

I suppose with Mulally talking about streamling the options packages this problem will get a little better. I know what you mean about customers thinking of dealers. Some folks at work only think of screwing over the dealer.... they usually buy the Toyota's & Hondas LOL.

Dealers, to me, are ambassadors to a brand. And some are just boneheads fresh out of rehab. That's part of the stereotype of dealers, unless you know one, it's a gamble...

The salesfolks in Elk Grove Ford leave much to be desired. Like bathing for one. Attitude for another.

Deanh any chance you gonna sell cars up here in Sacramento? :P

How about making them sign the contract with deffered payment till the dealer takes delivery and waiting the three day grace period period for terminating a contract before the vehicle is ordered! When people know the terms up front than they are less likely to care, the only issue is the length of time it takes Ford to fill the order! People want what the want, but there should not be any penalty to the dealer for helping them try to get it!

Good idea! And I, as the customer, won't care about 3 days, especially if Ford prioritizes the order.

Edit: BTW, we are talking as if this will be a choice. Americans like personalization. When competitors start doing this, Ford will have to do it so the kinks may as well get worked out ahead of the pack!

Edited by joihan777

let me re-phrase the end of your statement.....people want what they want...UNLESS its not there to begin with in which case they COMPROMISE.....try getting a white Hybrid with a sunroof, a GT500 with an auto, options arent there and they still sell like wildfire.......hate to babble on but we have been stung one too many times trying to cater...if the whole ordering guide is streamlined and simplified it makes life easier for both parties, manufacturing quality goes up etc etc...win win....give 1000 individual options and there are 999 ways for a potential customer to say 'almost but not quite ...." Honda and Toyota have this process pretty down pat...sorry to say but the domestics are way too busy trying to make everyone happy and acheiving nothing but confusion and un-necessary cluster....and PS ...a contract sans a VIN number is worth zilch, nothing, nada.....worthless......

My first new car ever, a 1991 Ford Escort LX. Had to order it because they didn't have a midnight blue with a stick and cruise control. 6 weeks later I was one happy dude. Although the dealer had to teach me to drive a stick in the back lot! My Sienna & Rodeo Sport were ordered too.

I suppose with Mulally talking about streamling the options packages this problem will get a little better. I know what you mean about customers thinking of dealers. Some folks at work only think of screwing over the dealer.... they usually buy the Toyota's & Hondas LOL.

Dealers, to me, are ambassadors to a brand. And some are just boneheads fresh out of rehab. That's part of the stereotype of dealers, unless you know one, it's a gamble...

Deanh any chance you gonna sell cars up here in Sacramento? :P

Good idea! And I, as the customer, won't care about 3 days, especially if Ford prioritizes the order.

Edit: BTW, we are talking as if this will be a choice. Americans like personalization. When competitors start doing this, Ford will have to do it so the kinks may as well get worked out ahead of the pack!

...kinda like So Cal...LOL! streamlining and simplicity are the answers, and from a customers standpoint better for them as they can see/ drive etc THE vehicle they are interested in....right now it is ridiculous, EVERYTHING seems to be a dealer locate due to conflicting options required by the discerning buyer...THAT in its own is a painful experience that on the surface seems easy to those not familiar...but actually is as pleasurable as a root canal and time consuming to say the least AND usually results in a LOST sale due to impatience on the customers behalf. If the cars come with an 95 % content as standard equip then life becomes a LOT easier for all parties invoved... then it comes down to things like Nav ( should be a plug and play dealer add in my opinion ) sunroofs, Wheels ( should be another dealer added option ) stereo ( another? ) leather or cloth....simple huh?

let me re-phrase the end of your statement.....people want what they want...UNLESS its not there to begin with in which case they COMPROMISE.....try getting a white Hybrid with a sunroof, a GT500 with an auto, options arent there and they still sell like wildfire.......hate to babble on but we have been stung one too many times trying to cater...if the whole ordering guide is streamlined and simplified it makes life easier for both parties, manufacturing quality goes up etc etc...win win....give 1000 individual options and there are 999 ways for a potential customer to say 'almost but not quite ...." Honda and Toyota have this process pretty down pat...sorry to say but the domestics are way too busy trying to make everyone happy and acheiving nothing but confusion and un-necessary cluster....and PS ...a contract sans a VIN number is worth zilch, nothing, nada.....worthless......

If their special order is indeed what they want then they should have no problem commiting to a contract before it is ordered, this is a way to give them what they want without the dealers taking the hit if they do not wish to follow through, frankly I don't know why the contracts are not signed at the time a vehicle is ordered whether or not they want special orders or just regular inventory with specific options already! I would like to point out we are not Toyota, but our customers do want certain things and should not be forced to "settle" for dealer inventory when the dealer doesn't have the foresight to order what the want before hand! I still don't see where the dealer should take the hit for a fickle customer, but refusing to change the order process is the same type of old think that is killing our sales volume. Business as usual is not going to cut it anymore, and carrying excess inventory and paying inventory tax is also not good! If you look at the manufacturing portion of Fords opperations you will see that nearly all if not a facilities have gone to just in time shipping of parts just to avoid this government tax!

...kinda like So Cal...LOL! streamlining and simplicity are the answers, and from a customers standpoint better for them as they can see/ drive etc THE vehicle they are interested in....right now it is ridiculous, EVERYTHING seems to be a dealer locate due to conflicting options required by the discerning buyer...THAT in its own is a painful experience that on the surface seems easy to those not familiar...but actually is as pleasurable as a root canal and time consuming to say the least AND usually results in a LOST sale due to impatience on the customers behalf. If the cars come with an 95 % content as standard equip then life becomes a LOT easier for all parties invoved... then it comes down to things like Nav ( should be a plug and play dealer add in my opinion ) sunroofs, Wheels ( should be another dealer added option ) stereo ( another? ) leather or cloth....simple huh?

I agree with the premise behind your post, I do not agree with your position on dealer aftermarket sun/moon roof instals. Everyone or at least most buyers know that aftermarket sun/moon roofs are prone to leak, lack necessary ducting to channel water, and don't have the quality fit and finish interior and exterior that a factory sun/moon roof does. Loaded standard equipment is however a good way to earn business, but some of the cosmetic upgrades available for the Flex will have a better end result (fit and finish) if done at the factory with the exception of wheels, vinyl graffix, but to include paint variations, sun/moon roofs, spoilers, and ground effex or anthing else that requires perfect alignment or securing to the body!

Edited by Furious1Auto

If their special order is indeed what they want then they should have no problem commiting to a contract before it is ordered, this is a way to give them what they want without the dealers taking the hit if they do not wish to follow through...

I agree with the premise behind your post, I do not agree with your position on dealer aftermarket sun/moon roof instals. Everyone or at least most buyers know that aftermarket sun/moon roofs are prone to leak, lack necessary ducting to channel water, and don't have the quality fit and finish interior and exterior that a factory sun/moon roof does. Loaded standard equipment is however a good way to earn business, but some of the cosmetic upgrades available for the Flex will have a better end result (fit and finish) if done at the factory with the exception of wheels, vinyl graffix, but to include paint variations, sun/moon roofs, spoilers, and ground effex or anthing else that requires perfect alignment or securing to the body!

Half agree...

YES those wishing to special order should understand that reneging on the order is akin to trying to 'return' a car after buying it and therefore if they really want it they should commit legally/financially.

Half YES to the dealer installed options. I agree the sunroof/ moonroof & paint should be done at the factory, however I have no problem with running boards, hood deflectors, spoilers etc being done locally/regionally.

When I purchased my Sienna, several items were added post-factory. Toyota called it "port installed" options, meaning there was a regional [mini-factory?] facility within/nearby the shipping port that did all the region's post factory installs. They managed to get those parts on perfectly. Maybe Ford could use this approach for some of Flex's simpler options... like the minifridge.